PDA

View Full Version : A new member of the family... First AR15

pklin1297
11-28-2006, 9:44 PM
Hello all,

Am missing the gas tube roll pin so gas tube not installed. BUIS front and rear sights are coming in the near future but the scope mount will arrive in two days to mount my scope. Just couldn't wait to snap a few shots and share... Parts list to come shortly... Sorry for the poor quality pics. I will shoot some daylight pictures soon.

Shane916
11-28-2006, 9:46 PM
very nice. i like the color scheme! you will enjoy the CTR stock as well :D

FatKatMatt
11-28-2006, 9:48 PM
How much did that run you? Very nice, I like it. It looks pretty evil :D

blkA4alb
11-28-2006, 9:50 PM
You just inspired me to seriously consider a tan build for my carbine.

pklin1297
11-28-2006, 9:52 PM
Just the parts needed to build the gun was around $1,300.00, and then I bought some parts that I was experimenting with since it was my first AR. Total spent including the coating of the receivers by John Norrell Arms was $1,754.00.

pklin1297
11-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Here are the parts:

Mega Lower and Upper coated with Norrell's Flat dark earth Moly Resin, and Mega charging handle

Magpul Flat dark earth CTR stock, Norrell Flat dark earth coated Magpul enhanced trigger guard, Flat dark earth Magpul L-Plate, Flat dark earth Magpul rail covers.

Magpul black MIAD grip

Magpul six position carbine tube, carbine buffer, chrome silicon carbine spring

C-Products 10 round mag powder coated black

Bushmaster + RRA combination lower parts kit

LMT standard MP bolt carrier group

YHM lightweight rifle length free float handguard

Midwest Industries low profile gas block

YHM Phantom compensator (not flash hider)

Sporting Conversions mag lock kit

Douglas 18" barrel blank turned by Compass Lake Engineering (single most expensive part)

Still to come:

YHM Flip front and rear sights

Eotech 512 A65 Rev. F

JPglee1
11-28-2006, 10:01 PM
What is that "color" called....and what is a shade lighter than that?

I wanna use that and a shade lighter for custom camo. That rifle is real purty!

J

mremmate
11-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Great job! The way you put that rifle together makes me wanna build a tan one too:).

pklin1297
11-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Norrell Arms coated the receivers a little light, so a bit of the original black still showed through albeit not very clearly. If the coating was heavier it would be a perfect match to the Magpul Flat Dark Earth. Some of the "pinkness" was also due to my camera's flash assist red light.

Receivers are Norrell's Flat dark earth
Parts from Magpul are Magpul's Flat dark earth

pklin1297
11-28-2006, 10:12 PM
I believe there is a limit on how much "Tan" there should be, that is why I did not coat the free float handguard tan as well and desided to use the rail covers to show the tan. I hope to get it out to the range soon to see how it shoots; can't wait to try the CLE barrel...

I know it is blasphemy to build my first AR in tan rather than black, but I promise my next one will be... :)

PIRATE14
11-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Douglas 18" barrel blank turned by Compass Lake Engineering (single most expensive part)

Still to come:

YHM Flip front and rear sights

Eotech 512 A65 Rev. F

It's your rifle but you spent the money on the barrel, why not put some nice glass on it so you can get your moneys worth out of the barrel.......

It's a very sharp looking stick..........:D

11-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I know it's a sin to envy, but I really want your evil rifle!

pklin1297
11-28-2006, 10:23 PM
It's your rifle but you spent the money on the barrel, why not put some nice glass on it so you can get your moneys worth out of the barrel.......

It's a very sharp looking stick..........:D

I have a scope that I will be mounting onto this rifle probably this week or as soon as the scope mount gets here. The Eotech is for later... :)

M24
11-28-2006, 10:38 PM
That looks great! Norrel's finishes are the oven baked ones, right? (versus the air dry kind like DuraCoat??)

Can I ask why you went with Norrel to refinish? I am thinking of having some rifles refinished, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on their turn around time, cost, and overall satisfaction with the finish itself.

pklin1297
11-28-2006, 10:55 PM
That looks great! Norrel's finishes are the oven baked ones, right? (versus the air dry kind like DuraCoat??)

Norrell's coating comes both in oven-baked as well as air-dried versions. Most of the parts in black, with the exception of the handguard which was powder coated black, were coated by me with Norrell's air-dried black.

Can I ask why you went with Norrel to refinish? I am thinking of having some rifles refinished, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on their turn around time, cost, and overall satisfaction with the finish itself.

I went with Norrell's Flat Dark Earth coating because that is the best and closest match to Magpul's Flat Dark Earth parts. After my experience with Norrell Arms, I would say coat the parts yourself if you are not opposed to investing in a simple $40 air compressor, a $10 airbrush set, and have access to an oven. My receivers were gone for 3.5 weeks and because the coater for Norrell Arms has a rather busy day job, he will only coat when he has time, and I probably would not have gotten my receivers back this "soon" without asking them to return my parts for me to do it myself.

Looking at the receivers, you will definitely be able to tell that the original black shows through (very faint) in some spots because the coating was light, and some tiny spots were not coated at all. Needless to say, I am a little bit disappointed with the finish knowing I could've done a better job myself and faster. But, since this is a firearm, and because I have the tools to refinish the parts when I want, I decided it is not a big deal and I will shoot the rifle like it was intended and not worry so much about finish. All the tools needed for refinishing parts yourself can be obtained from Harbor Freight Tools.

CHIGGA73
11-29-2006, 2:41 PM
looks good...but i like the black recievers better!

ARRRR-15
11-29-2006, 3:18 PM
I have a scope that I will be mounting onto this rifle probably this week or as soon as the scope mount gets here. The Eotech is for later... :)

Are you going to rattlecan the Eotech that earth color to match?:D

No really.. that's a great looking firearm.:cool:

I can't imagine waiting that long to finish my first AR though. I had to shoot mine ASAP. From the looks of yours I'm sure it will be worth every minute once you get to take her out.:)

xenophobe
11-29-2006, 4:11 PM
TR Gunkote in Flat Tan is also a near match to FDE. The M93B is in FDE, the grip is the older Coyote:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2129/68spchj2.jpg

Aluisious
11-29-2006, 4:49 PM
How much did that run you? Very nice, I like it. It looks pretty evil :D
He'll be spraying from the hip without reloading with the best of them!

pklin1297
11-29-2006, 7:27 PM
Are you going to rattlecan the Eotech that earth color to match?:D

When I get the Eotech, the "shield" will be coated, leaving the rest of the Eotech black. I saw a picture of that and really liked it.

pklin1297
11-29-2006, 7:28 PM
TR Gunkote in Flat Tan is also a near match to FDE. The M93B is in FDE, the grip is the older Coyote:

Xenophobe, this picture was the inspiration for my build. Thank you very much! :)

pklin1297
11-30-2006, 11:14 PM
A few little changes...

MysteryCereal
12-01-2006, 12:09 AM
I originally was sceptical of the tan color, but looking at it for a few seconds, damn it looks nice. VERY envious.

pklin1297
12-01-2006, 9:28 AM
I originally was sceptical of the tan color, but looking at it for a few seconds, damn it looks nice. VERY envious.

I figured since there are so many "black rifles" out there, I should build my first one to be different... :) I always liked the two-toned look on my firearms.

PanzerAce
12-01-2006, 9:31 AM
well, those pics mad me decide that I will go with a CTR stock for my carbine build.

shark92651
12-01-2006, 9:57 AM
Did you use paint for the lettering or did you go with a crayon or grease pencil technique?

mltrading
12-01-2006, 9:58 AM

xeno,

It's kind of off-topic. Is the lower in picture yours? Is it a real auto or just engraved so? I have a friend having some Superior Arms lower receivers engraved "AUTO" but it is indeed semi-auto.:)

pklin1297
12-01-2006, 2:17 PM
Did you use paint for the lettering or did you go with a crayon or grease pencil technique?

The lettering were done using oil pastels. I haven't used crayons but I've heard people having good luck with them. The oil pastels from the arts and craft store will last as long I don't spray Gunscrubber on it... :D Which is to say, I need to redo them every time I clean.