PDA

View Full Version : Should have complete AR15 in my hands Monday...what cleaning supplies needed?

jdouglas
05-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks to all of the help I have received from calgunners, I will be the proud new owner of a Stag Arms AR15 come Monday. :) I will be picking up the complete lower (along with a bullet button, mags, lock, and a two point sling) from RifleGear,probably first thing right after they open. I will be getting the complete upper via UPS in the afternoon/evening.

All I'll have left is to buy cleaning and maintenance supplies (and ammo of course). From what I've read, I should be able to get by with just a boresnake and some CLP, along with other household items (Qtips, old rags, toothbrush, etc). Will that suffice, or will I need other tools (like a chamber brush) or other solvents/lubes? I will not (unfortunately) be shooting this gun a whole lot; probably no more than a thousand rounds a year (at least not for a while; I do hope that eventually I'll be able to shoot it more).

pacrimguru
05-07-2011, 2:31 PM
I should be able to get by with just a boresnake and some CLP, along with other household items (Qtips, old rags, toothbrush, etc).

i belong to the non-anal about intense cleaning side of gun owners, so that list you have there is what i use. somewhere down the line you'll probably want to get more intense cleaning items but a snake and clp should hold you over for a few thousand rounds. i don't usually clean my AR's until i shoot 600-800 rounds in them minimum.

dieselpower
05-07-2011, 2:36 PM
i belong to the non-anal about intense cleaning side of gun owners, so that list you have there is what i use. somewhere down the line you'll probably want to get more intense cleaning items but a snake and clp should hold you over for a few thousand rounds. i don't usually clean my AR's until i shoot 600-800 rounds in them minimum.

yeah I'm in the 1K club myself, as long as its not real cheap ammo.

I did 200 a few weeks ago, 300 last week and maybe 200 -300 monday...I may clean after that...I may wait. Its not that big a deal unless you hit the 2K wall... LOL then you will see some hic-ups here and there. Plus at 2K the carbon is harder to clean so I try not to wait that long.

Boresnake, standard 223 cleaning kit from walmart for $20 and you are set for life.

bartt
05-07-2011, 6:04 PM
You might want to get some copper remover after you put a couple thousand down the pipe. Some of this has to do with what barrel you have. My stainless barrel seems to stay pretty clean for a long time. But I clean it after each shooting session anyway, cause I like to mess with it, not cause it needs it..
But yeah boresnake and CLP is about all you need.
Have fun with your new GF :-)

missiontrails
05-07-2011, 6:26 PM
A rag, some Slip 2000, and a cleaning rod, and some cleaning patches.

jdouglas
05-07-2011, 6:36 PM
OK, so I guess I should be good then. Thanks guys. ;-)

I'll probably get a few more cleaning items down the road, as I (hopefully) start shooting more.

MacDime
05-07-2011, 6:57 PM
If you dont mind me asking, what is the total cost on the complete rifle expected to be?

jdouglas
05-07-2011, 7:07 PM
The gun itself was right around $885 TOTAL, including all taxes, fees, DROS, S&H, etc. It will still need a $21.75 bullet button and the required CA gun lock ($8).

It doesn't include any magazines though, as I didn't buy it complete. I think I'll probably buy a 10/30 Stag Arms magazine and two D&H 10rd magazines from RifleGear when I pick up the complete lower.

tomd1584
05-07-2011, 7:44 PM
I'm with the others...a boresnake and lube, and an old t-shirt makes cleaning easy 5-10 minutes max, i'd say every 600-800 rounds for me.