PDA

View Full Version : Can one of you Fine Officers help out a Public Safety Student?

Elwood_Blues
05-07-2011, 12:54 PM
My name is Phil and I am a student at Miramar College in San Diego working on my Associate's Degree in Administration of Justice. This is an assignment for one of my classes. If you have a little bit of time and would like to answer the following questions, it would help me out a great deal.

You can PM me the answers to keep the information private. The only other person besides myself who will see this is my professor who is a retired Det. Sgt. of SDPD. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Where did you go to the academy?

Years:

Department:

How often do you qualify?

What type of weapon do you qualify with?

Do you have a back up weapon and or long gun?

How often to do you receive new training?

Physical, Firearm, Equipment, First Aid?

Schools? What education and experience do you possess?

How often are you called out?

Common calls out to the field?

What does you day consist of?

How often do you testify in court?

How much time per month is spent in court and or spent preparing for trails?

Do you supervise or train anyone? If so, how many people?

Any physical fitness requirements after hire?

Transportation.

Average number of cases per month?

More time in the office or in the field?

Describe the worst situation you have encountered in a work place. How did you deal with it?

If you had to do it all over again, would you choose the same police department?

Would you choose the same career?

Do you work with other departments on cases? Calls?

How is it to communicate with other agencies?

Do you have to work from home or do for any reason?

What's the greatest thing you like about your job?

Any regrets about the job?

How administration treats it's officers?

Why did you choose the police officer career? Why the police force?

What are the various levels that a police officer has to keep in mind while interacting with a criminal?

Consistency of raises, what benefits?

Please feel free to add anything that I may have not put out there. A story, a comment, whatever it is you think would be interesting on this assignment.

Thanks again!

Roddd
05-09-2011, 2:43 AM
The best way to get this info is to go on a ridealong and ask the officer. People may be reluctant to PM you that info if they don't know you. I know I am. Just a thought. The name thing leaves a paper trail and may get you some not so honest answers.

Elwood_Blues
05-09-2011, 10:18 AM
I figured that may be a case, so how about "Officer John Doe"? If it doesn't work, I'll just interview an officer at the academy. I need this done by Wednesday afternoon, so ride along is out of the question at the moment.

fabtechprerunner
05-09-2011, 1:00 PM
Here is some "advice". I am a Crim Law student as well. I had to write a research paper for my Juvenile Procedures class. I was to contact a Probation officer or Parole agent to interview them, and write a research paper about the interview. I had to ask similar questions like yours.

I can tell you it wasn't easy contacting someone at first. I emailed and called the Department of Probation, they were very reluctant at first. I told them that i was a Crim Law student taking this (Juvie class) and needed to interview a Probation Officer. I gave them my Professors info in case there was any trouble, since they were kinda skeptical about it.

They took down my information and said they would call me back, they wanted to talk to a Supervisor first. I reassured them that this is information would not be shared by anyone. They called me back within a few days to interview a PO.

I would say that you should call and explain who you are and what it is you need (interview). I would say that a ridealong wouldn't be a great idea as there are constant interuptions with radio calls, etc.. If i were you i would just go down to the station and ask to speak with a watch commander or officer and see if you can interview him or anyone else there.