PDA

View Full Version : my poor savage hmr :-(

Philbilly
05-07-2011, 11:45 AM
K guys I've got a 17 hmr Savage bolt action stainless bull barrel black laminate stock. I went to go clean it and l think someone near and dear is withholding info on me because upon a closer look the scope is wasted and the stock is cracked almost all the way through. The barrel appears to be ok but I'm looking for suggestionos on how to check it is still straight and true. I may try and fix the stock but I have always wanted the thumbhole version. Any ideas on where to look for a nice lam thumbhole replacement ? I bought the gun with BSA sweet 17 scope that I didn't really think was all that sweet so I'm thinking a replacement something that's a good value in the under 300 range. Well under 300 would be great but not lookin for sweet 17 quality. I would like a little more magnification than a 3x9 . All this pending my barrel checks out ok. Any thoughts, advice,or exceptions appreciated. Thankyou Phil
P S mainly use for bluejays out to 200 yrds.

Sky_DiveR
05-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Sorry to hear of your rifle. Did it get caught in a traffic accident? It takes some force to crack a stock.

Regarding your barrel. If you can remove the barrel like a centerfire, you can lay it on a flat surface against a light source and while looking thru the bore and slowly rolling it, watch for shadows. Other than that I think you'd have to take it to a gunsmith.

For a scope, take a look at the Vortex Crossfire series. For $200 you can get either a 6-24x50AO Mil-Dot or a 8-32x50AO V-Plex. Pretty nice glass for the cash.

Izzy43
05-07-2011, 1:36 PM
Boyd's for a new stock.

davek8s
05-07-2011, 1:43 PM
+1 for boyds.

Flyingpootang
05-07-2011, 2:43 PM
Sorry to hear that. Did it crack on the wrist of the stock? It's the most common type of a break on wooden stocks. IIRC Midway has a vid on how to drill out the center portion of the wrist and install a threaded rod to reinforce that area. The great part is the mod is not hidden from the out side of the stock.

Philbilly
05-07-2011, 2:47 PM
Sweet, thanks for the pointer to boyds and ill definitely take a look at the vortex scopes. The 6x24 seems about the right magnification to nail a head shot on blue jay out to 100 yards or so. I.was thinking about trying out a strikefire on my M1 socom 16 2 and a their mini dot w/an Ultimak rail on the m1 carbine. Any ideas on a vendor that might work a package deal for all of the above. I've got a little tax money coming back at me.....And BTW a traffic accident is the only thing I can think of. Unfortunately it was a hit and run. Either that or it was terribly depressed and decided to et and end it by jumping from the railing of our second story deck. Who knows mabey both. A tragedy either way

Philbilly
05-07-2011, 3:00 PM
Thanks for that FPT I was thinking something Long those lines. And yeah it was the wrist. A pretty severe fracture. Not all the way thru but it will probably be worthwhile re breaking and resetting it with some pin or dowells. Minor Surgery and worst case if it doesn't work out to my standards I get the thumbhole stock I orinally wanted. Thanks for all the tips. Keep em comin.

pisarski
05-07-2011, 3:30 PM
if you want i have a stock that is black plastic that you can have cheap let me know

trob
05-07-2011, 7:12 PM
i would be out for blood. thats a gorgeous rifle, and its my favorite setup in the savage line (Im a huge savage fan).