PDA

View Full Version : How to pin a Magpul CTR

LOW2000
05-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Has anyone seen a non-destructive means of pinning a CTR to a specific length for a featureless build?

I plan on pinning mine to my preferred length and then using a solar tactical grip wrap to round out my featureless build for 3-gun competitions. (i'm already using a surefire brake).

kozumasbullitt
05-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Roll pin through the locking latch or a sap of epoxy but both would be considered destructive.

CK_32
05-07-2011, 12:32 PM
v9vRAAuFct4

Seems non destructive to me.

LOW2000
05-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Just to see if there is some comment on the effectiveness of this...

I have noticed that the retaining pin that locks the stock in position if you look carefully has a hole towards the bottom of the plastic slot it rides in. With some force and patience, you can thread a small piece of steel through there, something as thick as a paperclip. Doing so effectively locks the stock in place. If that piece of steel were trimmed so that when the front lock of the CTR was pushed up into place to prevent it from possibly sliding out, would that effectively convert the stock from collapsible to fixed? For an extra measure of security, when you do this, you could also remove the rearmost lever that actuates the adjustment pin, in which case, you'd have a helluva time even opening the front lock, letalone forcing the pin down.

IPSICK
05-07-2011, 12:49 PM
PM SENT you're welcome

LOW2000
05-07-2011, 1:03 PM
PM SENT you're welcome

Thats exactly what I just did, and here I thought I was being clever. ;)

G1500
05-07-2011, 1:28 PM
Is it top secret, or can you share with the class?

LOW2000
05-07-2011, 2:47 PM
He PMed me with a message with pictures doing exactly as I described in the post above his.

If you have a CTR, and look carefully at the pin, you will see the hole I was talking about. Run a piece of hard wire through there, trim it to fit, bend up the ends, and flip the lock up to keep it from coming out and the stock is no longer collapsible. There is no way I could unbend and pull that wire out by hand, nor could I press the release hard enough to get the pin to move so I could change the stock length.

I think if I pressed hard enough, or used channel locks or something to get the pin to move, the lever would either break or pop off of its plastic tabs.

The only pain in the *** is that the carbine is now harder to fit in my case, but this is going to be excellent for 3-gun allowing me to use all my pre-ban mags depending on how many rounds are needed from the stage design.

BobbyZ
05-07-2011, 3:34 PM
What's the purpose? Keeping the gun over 30"? or keeping the gun featureless?

G1500
05-07-2011, 3:49 PM
What's the purpose? Keeping the gun over 30"? or keeping the gun featureless?

Featureless. Should be 30 inches if you have the correct barrel length and most stocks.

LOW2000
05-07-2011, 3:57 PM
Featureless. Should be 30 inches if you have the correct barrel length and most stocks.

This.

I'm running a Surefire MB556K, a pinned CTR, and have a Solar Tactical kydex grip wraparound coming. I keep all of the functionality of the rifle with a slight compromise on my grip and no adjustability on the CTR unless I remove the pin, reset the length, and reset it. To go back to a ban-free status is as simple as removing 3 screws and a pin.

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/images_inv/a/a/24482/MB556K_xlarge_24482.png

http://i52.tinypic.com/2lcpy0l.jpg

http://www.solartactical.com/images/DSC03131.jpg

IPSICK
05-07-2011, 5:33 PM
Thats exactly what I just did, and here I thought I was being clever. ;)

Yeah sorry about that. I was reading from my phone and didn't read the detail of what you already described.

People and their silly drills and roll pins :p Way less destructive methods are available.

This will probably boost some Magpul CTR and ACS sales. Not that they needed it.

*Btw, we've got to give credit where credit is due so thanks again Gio.

Bladewurk
06-30-2011, 2:56 PM
I really like to Pin a CTR like this:

Take stock off rifle and lay flat on padded bench. You will need 1 or 2 punches, an old FCG hammer or trigger pin and a hammer.

#1.Disassemble the CTR by removing the roll pin from the friction latch and removing the Friction latch pulling forward and down.

#2. Drive roll pin carefully 2/3 of the way out of the Main locking latch watching for the release of spring inside, just enough to release spring, but retaining assembly on stock. Spring will be free to shoot out don't lose it.

#3.With stock back on rifle lower and in position you want, insert old FCG pin inside spring plunger area. Measure correct amount to be ground (1/8" or so)or cut off to be able to barely reinstall roll pin. Mark the Pin and Cut with Dremel or Grinding wheel.

#4. Reinstall Spring and FCG pin you just cut inside the spring..

Now just reinstall all parts!

This is No Mods to CTR and is very strong as the FCG pin is hardened steel.

If done right the Friction lock will stay tight and it is Rock Solid!

Takes 2 roll pins to go back to normal or adjust but it is quick and easy..

Sorry no pics no vids you guys can figure it out..:D

chead
06-30-2011, 3:08 PM
You can use a ziptie under the release lever after you position it. Can't press the lever, can't collapse the stock.

infernl
06-30-2011, 3:26 PM
I'd be cautious. This all seems like a bunch of band-aids, and if someone seriously wants to mess with you about the rifle being featureless, they'll likely win since the parts used are not of featureless origin.

I'd be cautious about tinkering with "evil" parts and trying to get others (with more authority) to accept them as featureless after the fact.

Bladewurk
06-30-2011, 5:40 PM
My mod is no band aid, very permanent fix. Most people can't figure it out. You'd break the stock or buffer tube before it fails

infernl
07-05-2011, 12:32 PM
My mod is no band aid, very permanent fix. Most people can't figure it out. You'd break the stock or buffer tube before it fails

Says you, but does the LEO who doesn't know the law all that well agree with you? -You'd better hope he does.

chead
07-05-2011, 12:42 PM
All California compliance parts are "bandaids" by that logic. If you can't reposition the stock, it's fixed. I'm not sure how there would be any argument.