PDA

View Full Version : I just found out I tested positive...

wilit
11-28-2006, 5:30 PM
for that dreaded black rifle disease :eek: I'm not even finished with my Yugo AK build yet, and I'm already thinking of building a FAL. :D I've kinda read-up on them but was wondering.

A few questions, I know the FN FAL, IMBEL, CETME, STG58, HKG3 are pretty much the same rifle. My question is, I'm looking at the Entreprise Type 3 metric receiver (I'm trying to keep build on the cheap. Plus I'm not looking at building a perfect looking rifle. I like the "used in a conflict look"). Will and IMBEL or CETME parts kit work? Also, is there a functional difference between the different models? Do the parts interchange?

I'm not looking to join another forum, so please don't tell me to join FALFiles, and yes, I did use the search feature, unfortunately I don't have time to pour through 200+ threads containing the word FAL. :cool:

Thanks!

mltrading
11-28-2006, 5:50 PM
for that dreaded black rifle disease :eek: I'm not even finished with my Yugo AK build yet, and I'm already thinking of building a FAL. :D I've kinda read-up on them but was wondering.

A few questions, I know the FN FAL, IMBEL, CETME, STG58, HKG3 are pretty much the same rifle. My question is, I'm looking at the Entreprise Type 3 metric receiver (I'm trying to keep build on the cheap. Plus I'm not looking at building a perfect looking rifle. I like the "used in a conflict look"). Will and IMBEL or CETME parts kit work? Also, is there a functional difference between the different models? Do the parts interchange?

I'm not looking to join another forum, so please don't tell me to join FALFiles, and yes, I did use the search feature, unfortunately I don't have time to pour through 200+ threads containing the word FAL. :cool:

Thanks!

FN/FAL and HKG3 clones are quite different.

IMBEL, STG58 and German G1 are in the FN/FAL group.
CETME and HKG3 are in another group.

There are inch and metric patterns of FN/FAL rifles. Some of their parts are compatable. Be sure the pattern of your parts kit.

As for CETME and HKG3, basically they are the same. But I am not sure. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable could chime in.:)

azn_wrx
11-28-2006, 5:51 PM
another person who needs another rifle like I need hole in my head :p

I have heard mixed reviews about Entreprise. My dad just purchased one of thier fixed mag kits. Im trying to find time to go out and shoot it but term papers and finals are coming. On a side note, Entreprise told me from now on they will be doing weld rifles with the recent DOJ memo because they are a manufacture and do not want to risk having their license taken away. This wouldnt apply to you since you are building your own. You may want to take a look at DSA; I have heard nothing but great praise for DSA recievers.

JPglee1
11-28-2006, 5:57 PM
FN/FAL and HKG3 clones are quite different.

IMBEL, STG58 and German G1 are in the FN/FAL group.
CETME and HKG3 are in another group.

There are inch and metric patterns of FN/FAL rifles. Some of their parts are compatable. Be sure the pattern of your parts kit.

As for CETME and HKG3, basically they are the same. But I am not sure. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable could chime in.:)

Yah, what he said...

G3 and FAL are night and day difference.

Cetme came first, then the G3. Very similar yet no interchangeable parts aside from the furniture. FAL is gas operated, closed bolt repeater... Cetme is delayed roller blowback, closed bolt repeater. Aside from shooting the same ammunition and having a similar profile, they are VERY different from a mechanical/design stand point.

The FAL is a cushy cadillac of main battle rifles, the Cetme is heavy, clunky and beats the sh*t out of you when it recoils.

They do have the advantage of having a lot less parts (the G3)

JP

wilit
11-28-2006, 6:03 PM
So I'm guessing the concensus is to go with an IMBEL or if I can find it, a South African FAL parts kit?

SemiAutoSam
11-28-2006, 6:05 PM
Let us know if your FFL tells when You're terminallly ILL and we will gather at your Bed & Safe side and Divy up your weapons.

JPglee1
11-28-2006, 6:08 PM
So I'm guessing the concensus is to go with an IMBEL or if I can find it, a South African FAL parts kit?

I would go with anything EXCEPT a south african kit...they are the "rode hard, put up wet" kits of the FAL world...

3rd world countries usually have poor weapons maintenance programs and the kits ive seen from SA are VERY rough.

I'd go for an STG58 kit if you can find one.

Or an AR-15... lol

JP

mltrading
11-28-2006, 6:14 PM
I would go with anything EXCEPT a south african kit...they are the "rode hard, put up wet" kits of the FAL world...

3rd world countries usually have poor weapons maintenance programs and the kits ive seen from SA are VERY rough.

I'd go for an STG58 kit if you can find one.

Or an AR-15... lol

JP

For FALs, the IMBEL and STG-58 kits are the most popular and available. If you are lucky enough, you can find some German G-1 kits but you would expect some refinishing work.

wilit
11-28-2006, 6:17 PM
Or an AR-15... lol

JP

Already have one. ;) Hence the black rifle disease...

Actually I just saw DSA has STG58 kits for $329. I was hoping to keep the total cost to under $600, but given the selection of kits I've seen, the DSA kit may be the way to go.

NeoWeird
11-28-2006, 6:21 PM
Yup, good information so far.

The FAL is fairly easy to build, about the hardest part is headspacing it because you have to have a part of your rifle be the exact right measurement and it rarely matches what you need when you install your kit onto your new receiver. There are people on the FAL files that have an exchange type of thing going where you can find people who have the size you need. I believe Brownells also sells a dozen or so in the most popular sizes. Finding out the size you need isn't too hard, it's actually finding the actual part that is the hardest. Aside from that most of it can be done with a wrench and a vise. I'd say it's about on par with an AK, except the bar is threaded into the receiver instead of pressed and pinned and there is less fitting in regards to the rivtes on an AK as the FAL has an upper and lower making parts easier to mount. The only real problem is if your barrel doesn't time right (as it is threaded), then you wil either need to shave some material off or use a shim to get it to time properly.

Also, as noted, the G3/CETME are HK style weapons, esentially a larger MP5. I don't know much about the CETME but I know that the most major difference between the two is that the CETME has a normal chamber and HKs are fluted.

NeoWeird
11-28-2006, 6:22 PM

Actually I just saw DSA has STG58 kits for $329. I was hoping to keep the total cost to under $600, but given the selection of kits I've seen, the DSA kit may be the way to go.

*coughEntreprisecough*

Seriously. <$180 SHIPPED and I like the Imbel better than the STG58.

Oh yeah, check the marketplace on FALFiles. I saw last night or the night before that a guy was selling Imbel kits, and for slight blemishes (like missing a swivel, or cracks in the furniture which most people replace for 922r compliance anyways) you could get a Imbel parts kit for $135 SHIPPED. Also, Entreprise's tpye III receivers won't be released until around Christmas time. DCI has receivers coming out in the $300 range, but be prepared to pay $300-400 on the receiver alone before it gets to your FFL.

wilit
11-28-2006, 6:38 PM
*coughEntreprisecough*

Seriously. <$180 SHIPPED and I like the Imbel better than the STG58.

Oh yeah, check the marketplace on FALFiles. I saw last night or the night before that a guy was selling Imbel kits, and for slight blemishes (like missing a swivel, or cracks in the furniture which most people replace for 922r compliance anyways) you could get a Imbel parts kit for $135 SHIPPED. Also, Entreprise's tpye III receivers won't be released until around Christmas time. DCI has receivers coming out in the $300 range, but be prepared to pay $300-400 on the receiver alone before it gets to your FFL.

Sweet, thanks for the info man. I've been waiting to see when DCI/Nodak was going to release their receiver as I love the quality of their AK stuff.

cornholio1
11-28-2006, 6:43 PM
For 25 bucks more, you'll get a proven DSA receiver. Whats 25 bucks vs headaches? Go cheap and you'll have headaches.

cornholio1
11-28-2006, 6:54 PM

You got a link? Does it include US compliance parts? My friends also intrested in going cheap.

wilit
11-28-2006, 7:37 PM
You got a link? Does it include US compliance parts? My friends also intrested in going cheap.

Nope, doesn't include US parts. It's also not a numbers matching kit.
http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=STG58K2&storeid=1&image=stg58sets.gif&CFID=16596452&CFTOKEN=52246526

wilit
11-28-2006, 7:40 PM
For 25 bucks more, you'll get a proven DSA receiver. Whats 25 bucks vs headaches? Go cheap and you'll have headaches.

$25? :confused: I don't know where you've priced DSA receivers at, but the Entreprise Type 3's are $239, where as the DSA Type I's are $449 (as listed on their website).

DSA Type I receiver (http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=0291NCHC&storeid=1&image=sa58type1receiver.gif&CFID=16596452&CFTOKEN=52246526)
Entreprise Type 3 receiver (http://www.entreprise.com/Fal/Type3Met.htm)

cornholio1
11-28-2006, 7:41 PM
Nope, doesn't include US parts. It's also not a numbers matching kit.
http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=STG58K2&storeid=1&image=stg58sets.gif&CFID=16596452&CFTOKEN=52246526

Its gonna take some work in building it up with US compliance parts then. Your better off buying a turn key kit, because its gonna be a little cheaper and a lot less work trying to find all the parts.

FatKatMatt
11-28-2006, 8:08 PM
enterprise arms sells "good condition" FAL kits on their site for $150, an "excellent condition refinished" kit is sold by them for more. IMBEL kits they are.

EDIT: I haven't read through the entire thread so this might have been posted already, but you also have to comply with federal 922r requirements, meaning you can have no more than 10 foreign parts in your semi-auto so it has a justified "sporting purpose". Furniture kits which are the stock, pistol grip, and handgaurds, the hammer trigger sear assembly, gas piston, barrel, receiver etc are all good for replacements.

mltrading
11-28-2006, 10:53 PM
entreprise arms sells "good condition" FAL kits on their site for $150, an "excellent condition refinished" kit is sold by them for more. IMBEL kits they are.

EDIT: I haven't read through the entire thread so this might have been posted already, but you also have to comply with federal 922r requirements, meaning you can have no more than 10 foreign parts in your semi-auto so it has a justified "sporting purpose". Furniture kits which are the stock, pistol grip, and handgaurds, the hammer trigger sear assembly, gas piston, barrel, receiver etc are all good for replacements.

Are you talking about this company?

blacklisted
11-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I have this disease as well, but I can't afford the medication (my insurance doesn't cover it). :(