PDA

View Full Version : PANOCHE TRIP JANUARY 27th UPDATED LIST 1/21/07

the_lynch_family
11-28-2006, 6:22 PM
Hi Guys,
I just update the list. I had no idea we were going to have so many show up for this day of shooting. At this point I think we should all just bring food for themselves. I didnt want to plan to bring a ****load of food and noone show up due to rain/bad weather or for what ever reason.
We can meet up at the front gate between 9:30am-10:00am. I am going to see if I can get Bigmac and CesarG to carravan up and find a place a little early and then meet the rest of you guys at the gate about 9:30-10:00am. 10:00am at the latest. be there by 10:00am or you will have to search for us. That shouldnt be to hard though.See you all there.

Hi Guys, Just a heads up
I changed my username to 1919A4. I will continue to use the_lynch_family till the 27th then I will ask the mods to delete my old one. I like my new one better, lol

Heres who I show coming so far. Possible 30 people. I am not counting the maybe's.
As people confirm they are going or not going I will update this post. Just so we kind of have a count on how many are going .

thedrickel
Bigmac
CesarG
Edwardm
EdogII
Fguerra
Tando5
FEDUPWBS
Dwtt
Acegunner
Rascal +3
Myslef +1
kenc9 +1
Cmyanky +5
Mrleetzor +1
tallengnr1 +1

Cesar G.
11-28-2006, 10:47 PM
count me in i can talk to some friends see if they want to go

BigMac
12-17-2006, 7:30 PM
Let me look at the calander... I do believe I will be going.

I plan to bring my cannon (hope I can find my stupid fuse that Ivan just got for me) , 1919, M1A, AR, tannerite and some other target stuff.

Anyone want to get a group buy on tannerite started?

Cesar G.
12-17-2006, 9:01 PM
count me in for a tanerite group buy sure frank will be in also

ivanimal
12-17-2006, 9:35 PM
stickied.

cnyankee
12-18-2006, 1:04 AM
im in and at least 3 friends. will figure out food later

C.G.
12-18-2006, 4:50 AM
I'll be back in the US then, so I hope to make it, but won't be able to say for sure until I am back about week before.

BigMac
12-18-2006, 7:27 AM
I'll call tannerite this morning and see what kind of prices we can get.

Cesar G.
12-18-2006, 8:49 AM
let me know martin tanerite is great stuff

BigMac
12-18-2006, 9:04 AM
I spoke with tannerite this morning..

If we get a ten case buy we are going to get a deal so good I cant repeat it online.

I can be reached by PM about cost. Anyone posting the price publicly will not be included in the buy. Tannerite asked me to not post this price it's so good.

The normal two case cost is 80 bucks.. this price is even better. Thats 20 targets ..

K9paulc
12-18-2006, 9:15 AM
I've been wanting to check out that spot, seeing as I live in Tracy it's probablly closer to me than my other spot in the El Dorado forrest.

I hope you guys don't mind a longtime board lurker joining you. I will probablly bring a couple of others with if thats ok (we clean our mess). I'd really like to see what my SVT40 can do out past 100 yards, just have to visit BigMac down at Irvington arms to see if he has any 7.62x54 Russian. Hope to see you all there sounds like a good time!

edwardm
12-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi Guys,
I thought I would start a new thread thats a little cleaner. Lets use this thread as kind of a sign up just to see how many can actaully make it. Cold, Rain or Shine. We are going. Unless its just absolutely crazy.
We would like to meet at the gate between 9:00am-9:30am.
I will bring a case of soda,case of water,dogs,chips and beans for lunch. We can heat this stuff up on my coleman camping stove. I am not sure if we can light up a grill out there. And you all can bring what ever else you want if what I have doesnt work for you. I asked the admins to delete the other thread also.

I will bring the gong again also.
Coming with me:
Myself + 2
Brian

I'd like to come along, if you guys don't mind or anything.

Last I checked with BLM's Hollister office, propane/gas grills were A-OK ( was out there about 2-3 weeks ago).

BigMac
12-18-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't know... we didn't have much fun last time...

Wada ya mean if it's ok.. Your going to be expected.

BigMac
12-18-2006, 2:36 PM
I've been wanting to check out that spot, seeing as I live in Tracy it's probablly closer to me than my other spot in the El Dorado forrest.

I hope you guys don't mind a longtime board lurker joining you. I will probablly bring a couple of others with if thats ok (we clean our mess). I'd really like to see what my SVT40 can do out past 100 yards, just have to visit BigMac down at Irvington arms to see if he has any 7.62x54 Russian. Hope to see you all there sounds like a good time!

Cmon out.. I think I'm out of 7.62x54. I'll try to get some more polish.

edwardm
12-18-2006, 3:18 PM
I don't know... we didn't have much fun last time...

Wada ya mean if it's ok.. Your going to be expected.

Heh OK. :) I'll plan on it. Missed the post-Turkey Day shoot due to food poisoning. Great way to spend the holiday (cropped up before T-day, so it wasn't my inlaws trying to kill me or nothin!!)

edog11
12-18-2006, 3:28 PM
I will try and make it but I have to find some 308 to feed my 1919a4

BigMac
12-18-2006, 4:30 PM
Cool we could have 3 beltfeds ;)

tjschia
12-18-2006, 6:33 PM
I will try and make it but I have to find some 308 to feed my 1919a4

Time to go to Cow Palace Gun Show on the 20th

cnyankee
12-18-2006, 7:37 PM
yeah tannerite.

the_lynch_family
12-18-2006, 7:55 PM
Count me in on the tanernite.
Hell Ya, That will be cool to see three 1919's blazing away. I cant wait to see the fireball on the 1919 with the 16inch barrel shooting 8mm,,hehehehehe:D

I need some 308 for my m1a. Bigmac. Is the pakistan 308 safe to shoot in the m1a. If it is I will buy some of your if you want to sell it. I only need about 250 rounds.

fguerra
12-18-2006, 9:28 PM
You know I'm in again. Plus I'll have some new toys for us to play with. OH by the way, I'm in for the tannerite buy as well.

BigMac
12-19-2006, 7:06 AM
Ok , we have enough tannerite buyers.

Bring or send cash (mo will work) to the store and I will make out a MO for tannerite.

You can either pick it up in advance from me at the store or I will bring it with me to Panoche for you (if your out of the area). I would like to send out the order before the end of the year.

Mark_in_Pasadena
12-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Where is this place you speak of?

the_lynch_family
12-19-2006, 2:43 PM
I will come by on the 22nd about 3:00pm to drop off some funds.

Ok , we have enough tannerite buyers.

Bring or send cash (mo will work) to the store and I will make out a MO for tannerite.

You can either pick it up in advance from me at the store or I will bring it with me to Panoche for you (if your out of the area). I would like to send out the order before the end of the year.

BigMac
12-20-2006, 7:47 AM
So we have tannerite..

I'm bringing a bunch of coffee cans. I have a tall target frame I can bring to set out as a long range target. I have metal stakes that hold sheet metal punch outs of we want to setup a handgun course or multiple longer range precision rifle targets.

I have a 12x12 easyup and a bigass blue tarp I can stretch from my lumber rack to the easyup. (in case of rain)

I'm bringing a cannon :cool:

My tables are fubar from being in the rain and neeed new tops. I don't shoot from them much but it's nice to not have to put your guns in the mudd.

I think I talked Ray and John into coming to play. I better get some 223 for those ammo hogs.

tango 5
12-20-2006, 9:31 AM
I plan on coming along to this event, i'll have to get in touch with the other Bay area guys to convoy with them. As of now, im a 90% yes, but who knows when that will change, the fiance is moving in to my place in January, but she is usualy cool about my gun excursions, and she wants to shoots the new AR.

BigMac
12-20-2006, 9:51 AM
Bring her!

Im willing to bet my partner Ray's wife will be coming.. I will check with him.

the_lynch_family
12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
We will bring a easyup also. heck, with yours and my easy up with tarps off of those we could have like 40ft of coverage, lol I can bring two tables. One to take turns shooting off of if anyone wants to and one table to set things on. Its only like 4ft though.

I will bring the 15x15 steel gong again, except this time no taping tannernite to the plate.:D . I want to keep the stand in one piece for a few hours.lol

So we have tannerite..

I'm bringing a bunch of coffee cans. I have a tall target frame I can bring to set out as a long range target. I have metal stakes that hold sheet metal punch outs of we want to setup a handgun course or multiple longer range precision rifle targets.

I have a 12x12 easyup and a bigass blue tarp I can stretch from my lumber rack to the easyup. (in case of rain)

I'm bringing a cannon :cool:

My tables are fubar from being in the rain and neeed new tops. I don't shoot from them much but it's nice to not have to put your guns in the mudd.

I think I talked Ray and John into coming to play. I better get some 223 for those ammo hogs.

RW Dunn
12-20-2006, 11:37 PM
I'll be back in the US then, so I hope to make it, but won't be able to say for sure until I am back about week before.get ahold of me CG.I'll go with you

C.G.
12-21-2006, 5:48 AM
get ahold of me CG.I'll go with you

Will do.:)

Sailormilan2
12-21-2006, 9:59 PM
Please post directions or a map for us newbies who have never been there before.

cseabass
12-23-2006, 1:30 PM
can we bring a .50?

if so my buddy and i might be able to come out. i still need to clear it up with him more tho.

BigMac
12-24-2006, 9:50 AM
.50s are welcome, but I doubt anyone wants .50's shot at their targets :eek:

Directions to any BLM spot can be had at the CA BLM website. Panoche is in the Holister managment area.

cseabass
12-24-2006, 12:12 PM
let me run it by my buddy, he expessed an intrest in taking the m2 out. i think we can figure somthing out for targets.

BigMac
12-24-2006, 6:35 PM
I invited a guy with an M2 out.. I even offered to let him use my sokolov mount.

This could be a really noisy day.

Maybe we should warn the hollister BLM office :D

Turbinator
12-25-2006, 1:10 AM
Please post directions or a map for us newbies who have never been there before.

New folks, please keep in mind that we'd appreciate all the clean up help you can offer to help keep this place open and usable for all shooters. Several of us cleaned up Panoche back in October and we'd hate to see it get all junked up again.

Thanks!!

Turby

cseabass
12-25-2006, 1:12 PM
I invited a guy with an M2 out.. I even offered to let him use my sokolov mount.

This could be a really noisy day.

Maybe we should warn the hollister BLM office :D

well my buddy needs to get his sideplated parked, maybe this will get him moving.

hes got everything including the tripod & pintle.

ill try and get him off his ***.

merry christmas.

BigMac
12-25-2006, 8:21 PM
Turby.. you going to make it?

Anyone that doesn't help cleanup wont get invited back to a group shoot.. we'll make their name mud ;)

edog11
12-25-2006, 8:40 PM
Is camping allowed there ?

RW Dunn
12-25-2006, 10:55 PM
yep anywhere you like on BLM

the_lynch_family
12-26-2006, 1:37 PM
Does anyone have a range finder they can bring to the shoot. I would like to measure out 500 yrds for some long range fun shooting at my steel gong. I could somewhat guess but it would be nice to try a range finder out.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

edwardm
12-26-2006, 2:30 PM
My binoculars have a ranging reticle, which should get you within a meter or so of the actual range (assuming I bring a calculator and do the conversion properly! ;))

Not a rangefinder per se but it gets the job done.

Does anyone have a range finder they can bring to the shoot. I would like to measure out 500 yrds for some long range fun shooting at my steel gong. I could somewhat guess but it would be nice to try a range finder out.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

C.G.
12-27-2006, 6:43 AM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I'll go I'll bring my GPS; more accurate, the only thing is that you have to walk to your mark.

joel1316
12-27-2006, 8:39 AM
If I get a chance to join you guys, I have a laser range finder that I always bring to Panoche.

RW Dunn
12-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi Guys,
I thought I would start a new thread thats a little cleaner. Lets use this thread as kind of a sign up just to see how many can actaully make it. Cold, Rain or Shine. We are going. Unless its just absolutely crazy.
We would like to meet at the gate between 9:00am-9:30am.
I will bring a case of soda,case of water,dogs,chips and beans for lunch. We can heat this stuff up on my coleman camping stove. I am not sure if we can light up a grill out there. And you all can bring what ever else you want if what I have doesnt work for you. I asked the admins to delete the other thread also.

I will bring the gong again also.
Coming with me:
Myself + 2
Brian I'll see about getting a fire permit.I used to get one every year from CDF for that area,when i hunted it on a weekly basis

Rascal
12-27-2006, 1:47 PM
Well I usually work on Saturdays, but I got the time off and would like to join you guys if possible.
Is there something I could contribute to the cause?

Thanks

BigMac
12-27-2006, 3:28 PM
Hmm I know in clear creek you can have fires with a permit.

Panoche says no fires period.

gamename
12-27-2006, 3:54 PM
Hi Guys,

Who's invited? I'm a newbie here on the board, so I dunno if I'm included. :D

Also, I have a friend with a repro Civil War field piece. I'm certain he'd welcome the opportunity to fire some live rounds with it. Is there enough room? Once again, it depends on how the invites work. :cool:

Finally, anyone have directions/coordinates for this place? Or, is it like Burning Man used to be and you have to "know people" to get there?

TIA,
-T

RW Dunn
12-27-2006, 6:32 PM
Hmm I know in clear creek you can have fires with a permit.

Panoche says no fires period.Ya its been a couple of years since i've got one,but last time i did.We had fires in clearcreek,laguna mtn and a couple of other areas

acegunnr
12-28-2006, 5:45 AM
Just talked to Hollister BLM yesterday and they have lifted the campfire restrictions to Panoche Hills. Just need to get a fire permit.

BigMac
12-28-2006, 8:16 AM
I'm only planning on coming for the day. Are you guys going to camp?

A field piece would be neet.. I don't know if we have room at the spot I normally shoot at.

Anyone got a good shooting spot where we could stretch some guns out in a nice fireing line and have decent ranges from 35 to say 500 yards?

My spots going to get a little cramped with the number of people looking like they are attending.

The nice thing about my spot is it's down inside a bowl so most of the noise is contained. Anyone thats shot there can tell you though.. with the numbers were looking at that spots going to get tough to park at ;)

the_lynch_family
12-28-2006, 9:32 AM
Ya, I was just adding up the count we have. Its pretty good. This should be awsome. Maybe we should get there a little ealier and do some searching for a bigger spot. But the one you took us to last time was great for tannernite. But didnt have long range shooting. Although, If we setup where you first turn down the hill into the bowl we could possible get another 200yrds out of your area? So where are all the guys from the bay area going to meet at. The Shop.???

I will be puting the update list on the first page.
Heres who I show coming so far. Possible 22 people.
As people confirm they are going or not going I will update this post. Just so we kind of have a count on how many are going.

Myslef +1
Bigmac
CesarG
Cmyanky +3
K9paulc +2
Edwardm
EdogII
Fguerra
Tando5
RWDunn
Rascal
Acegunner
tallengnr1 +1
Sailormilan2 "maybe"
C.G "maybe"
Cseabass "maybe"
Joel1316 "Maybe

I'm only planning on coming for the day. Are you guys going to camp?

A field piece would be neet.. I don't know if we have room at the spot I normally shoot at.

Anyone got a good shooting spot where we could stretch some guns out in a nice fireing line and have decent ranges from 35 to say 500 yards?

My spots going to get a little cramped with the number of people looking like they are attending.

The nice thing about my spot is it's down inside a bowl so most of the noise is contained. Anyone thats shot there can tell you though.. with the numbers were looking at that spots going to get tough to park at ;)

the_lynch_family
12-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Its 2 - 2.5 hours south of San Jose. Are you coming.

Where is this place you speak of?

JGarrison
12-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Anyone from the Sac/Manteca area going? Would love to tag along just to find where this is at.

gamename
12-28-2006, 2:58 PM
Sorry guys. The wife has just informed me that I am 'booked' for that weekend. :mad:

CU next year.

-T

RW Dunn
12-28-2006, 3:05 PM
Just talked to Hollister BLM yesterday and they have lifted the campfire restrictions to Panoche Hills. Just need to get a fire permit.got one today from hollister BLM

cseabass
12-28-2006, 5:25 PM
it looks like my buddy wont go, he is affraid to bring the M2 out... (and for some reason, doesnt want to shoot his other guns... go figure...) im a maybe still.

i assume the roads arnt paved to near where well be shooting?(i have a lowered car:/)

stator
12-28-2006, 7:38 PM
i assume the roads arnt paved to near where well be shooting?(i have a lowered car:/)

You assumed right. I would not take a lowered street car up there. I would say that the road is lightly graveled. The road to the bowl they are talking about is probably a dirt road with no gravel. A group of two trucks were shooting during the day and camping there tonight.

Sailormilan2
12-28-2006, 7:40 PM
I still need a map or directions.

RW Dunn
12-28-2006, 8:45 PM
So is anybody staying over night

the_lynch_family
12-28-2006, 9:13 PM
What town are you coming from.

I still need a map or directions.

BigMac
12-29-2006, 8:04 AM
Sorry guys. The wife has just informed me that I am 'booked' for that weekend. :mad:

CU next year.

-T

Your booked.. it's my anniversery :D

BigMac
12-29-2006, 8:09 AM
I take 101 to 152.

152 to I5 south.

I5 to Mercy Hot Spring Little Panoche Rd.

It is several miles up to the BLM entrance on the left. If you make it to the Blue houses you went a little too far. If you make it to the intersection you went way too far and need to pay closer attention to bad instructions ;)

stator
12-29-2006, 8:48 AM
Xxxx

joel1316
12-29-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm going to bow out of this trip....
Getting too big, LOL.

Rascal
12-29-2006, 10:27 AM
The Panoche entrance isn't marked very good and you could go past it.
Just remember, If coming from Shields exit that if you get to the Mercy Hot Springs ( on the righthand side), you went too far. Turn around and head back a hundred yards or so.
I'm bringing my sons and a friend.

Stator is correct. you want to exit at Exit 379 Shields Avenue and go west towards the hills.
This way is alot easier to go than going through Hollister, and alot faster.

the_lynch_family
12-29-2006, 10:36 AM
ha, And you still get to go play with the boys. I just hit 11yrs the other day.

Your booked.. it's my anniversery :D

mr_leetzor
12-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi guys, I would like to attend so if I could be added to the list that would be great ;-)

Anybody interested in carpooling from the south bay ? Or even if there are some other bay area people that want to drive southward and meet up to carpool the rest of the way there ?

Private message me and we can get some planning in place.

BigMac
12-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Yup,

I didn't tell her I was going... I'm sneaking out before she gets up ;)

Do you think she will get suspicious when I start loading the truck the night before?

Turbinator
12-30-2006, 9:28 AM
Turby.. you going to make it?

Anyone that doesn't help cleanup wont get invited back to a group shoot.. we'll make their name mud ;)

I'm interested in going, but need to check my calendar. Got a few things going on in Jan. Thanks for asking! I'll follow the thread and drop a note here if I'll be there.

Turby

Sailormilan2
12-30-2006, 6:37 PM
I'm coming from Bakerspatch. So, I guess the best route is up I5. I think I know which exit it is on I5.

acegunnr
12-31-2006, 8:13 AM
Just got back from a 3 day campout at Panoche. The small valley south of the access road as you come through the last gate is a good place to camp with a lot of people. There is a fenced area for cattle and you will need to camp 200ft away (west). It has flat spots to set up tents and a good area to shoot up to 100yds. I checked out Big Macs spot and he is right, you can't get too many cars in there although you can get some long distance yardage. It is not too far away from the camp spot though, less than a 5 min drive. Bring lots of firewood and warm sleeping gear as it gets COLD, below freezing. It was also windy the first night and we almost lost some tents. I will probably go down 26th and campout as I got to leave before lunch on the 27th.

Here is a map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Hollister,+CA+95023&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z=16&ll=36.70944,-120.811779&spn=0.008033,0.021501&iwloc=addr). The camp spot is the valley south of the triangular dirt roadway in the center of the map.

stator
12-31-2006, 8:24 AM
Just got back from a 3 day campout at Panoche. The small valley south of the access road as you come through the last gate is a good place to camp with a lot of people. There is a fenced area for cattle and you will need to camp 200ft away (west). It has flat spots to set up tents and a good area to shoot up to 100yds. I checked out Big Macs spot and he is right, you can't get too many cars in there although you can get some long distance yardage. It is not too far away from the camp spot though, less than a 5 min drive. Bring lots of firewood and warm sleeping gear as it gets COLD, below freezing. It was also windy the first night and we almost lost some tents. I will probably go down 26th and campout as I got to leave before lunch on the 27th.

Here is a map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Hollister,+CA+95023&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z=16&ll=36.70944,-120.811779&spn=0.008033,0.021501&iwloc=addr). The camp spot is the valley south of the triangular dirt roadway in the center of the map.

That must had been you down there in the valley. Two trucks, I believe, one a Chevy/GMC. A couple of tents. The winds really rocked the place on Thursday but Friday was great.

acegunnr
12-31-2006, 8:41 AM
That must had been you down there in the valley. Two trucks, I believe, one a Chevy/GMC. A couple of tents. The winds really rocked the place on Thursday but Friday was great.

Yup that was us. Where you the blue/green 4 door truck (nissan/toyota)?
Got 6 boy scouts qualified on their rifle shooting merit badge and started on their shotgun shooting merit badge. They also picked up 8 bags of trash as part of their community service. The scouts wanted to sleep under the stars the first night and almost used up all the firewood! They slept in tents the second night. Good times and good memories for the boys.

stator
12-31-2006, 3:15 PM
Yup that was us. Where you the blue/green 4 door truck (nissan/toyota)?
Got 6 boy scouts qualified on their rifle shooting merit badge and started on their shotgun shooting merit badge. They also picked up 8 bags of trash as part of their community service. The scouts wanted to sleep under the stars the first night and almost used up all the firewood! They slept in tents the second night. Good times and good memories for the boys.

GMC 4-door in sandstone, I believe. We arrived at Panoche early to where we were just seeking out safe shooting spots from a leeward side of a hill. We found a nice spot on down the access road that was well-sheltered from the wind.

I do not think the people with the horses were all too happy about shooters being around, though.

Where's BigMac's shooting spot? I was guessing that it was on down the valley on that dirt road from your group.

BigMac
01-01-2007, 8:12 AM
To get to my spot... take the left main fork in the road after the gate. The road make a left hand turn and as it straitens back out you can make a right over a little mound and drop down into a bowl. It's a long (steep if it's wet) right hand turn decent. From the bottom it affords a 360 degree backstop.

Too bad you can park many cars.. We had 5 or 6 guys down there and it was a buisy spot.

With this number of guys we'll need a wider spot and a defined fireing line.

Maybe I can talk Brian into a recon trip to pick a spot.

the_lynch_family
01-02-2007, 12:32 PM
I was thinking. What if we park the cars with the tailgate/trunk side facing down range instead of parking them long ways like we had them before. . I say we just do some exploring. I bet we have no more then 10 cars show up since some will be ride sharing. I sure would like to find a place though that has twice the distance. I dont think I can escape to do a recon trip. I wish I could.
I ordered that case of 308 this morning. Should be here next week. I ended up just having it shipped over here. I couldnt remember your address off hand. I will stop by when it arrives.

To get to my spot... take the left main fork in the road after the gate. The road make a left hand turn and as it straitens back out you can make a right over a little mound and drop down into a bowl. It's a long (steep if it's wet) right hand turn decent. From the bottom it affords a 360 degree backstop.

Too bad you can park many cars.. We had 5 or 6 guys down there and it was a buisy spot.

With this number of guys we'll need a wider spot and a defined fireing line.

Maybe I can talk Brian into a recon trip to pick a spot.

David002
01-03-2007, 2:27 AM
this sounds like a ton of fun :D about how long of a drive woudl i be looking at from LA/so cal area?

Rascal
01-03-2007, 3:22 AM
Well it takes about 5 hours from Los Banos to Disneyland, and I'm about 25 minutes away from Panoche Hills, so I would say about 5 hours for you.
I'd say you are more than welcome to come, if you want to travel that far.

BigMac
01-03-2007, 6:11 AM
Ok tannerite buy is closed.. MO's purchased yesterday after work.

Mailing today.

the_lynch_family
01-03-2007, 9:11 AM
Awsome, I can just hear it now. KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, KAAABOOM, LOL

Ok tannerite buy is closed.. MO's purchased yesterday after work.

Mailing today.

theseacow
01-03-2007, 10:57 AM
2-3 really big booms is way more fun then a bunch of tiny little booms. 1 case per boom is a decent place to start for this, and then work your way up to 2+ cases per boom. It is ALOT better than tiny little single tannerite booms.

the_lynch_family
01-03-2007, 1:16 PM
Ya, I bet that would be fun. Are you going to be there. I will watch you do yours. LOL
Actually. I may just do that. I only purchased one case. May as well try it. What kind of container do you suggest to use for 1 case. 2 liter bottle.

2-3 really big booms is way more fun then a bunch of tiny little booms. 1 case per boom is a decent place to start for this, and then work your way up to 2+ cases per boom. It is ALOT better than tiny little single tannerite booms.

theseacow
01-03-2007, 4:33 PM
Ya, I bet that would be fun. Are you going to be there. I will watch you do yours. LOL
Actually. I may just do that. I only purchased one case. May as well try it. What kind of container do you suggest to use for 1 case. 2 liter bottle.

I will not be able to make it. What I suggest, is bringing some big huge something that you want to blow up (TV, washing machine, etc...), and fill all of the half pound bottles, and surround the item with the bottles via duct tape. Make sure the tannerite bottles are touching each other, as tannerite is not always reliable to set off nearby charges if they are not touching. Stand way back, take cover, and shoot. If you do find any remains, (which I doubt you will), put them with the next big pile of tannerite, so no trash is left.

stator
01-04-2007, 2:31 PM
Before you guys go crazy with the industrial equipment shooting-fest, check into caluwild.org. These are the folks, being an off-shoot of the Sierra Club, who have been trying to close down Panoche Hills (PH) for the last tow years.

They are activing trying to get the BLM manager responsible for PH to extend the two WSA areas withing Panoche into one larger one and expand it as well. Basically, they have been proposing to the BLM manager (some gal, name escapes me now) to extend the WSA to the first fork on the access road pass the third gate. That would really screw things up for our access.

WSA is a well-crafted use policy that is designed for Sierra Club member and other "environmentalists" to enjoy the land at the exclusion of everyone else.

Also, much of Panoche Hills is sandstone which is very fragile comparibly to other soils. If you been out there, you would have recognized your footprints have a bigger impact than usual.

I fear what Technical-Ted stated and his concerns may come true. I really recommend that you guys leave the tannerite and appliances at home. Just use regular targets, plates, etc. Leave the place in better shape than you arrived.

theseacow
01-04-2007, 2:56 PM
Before you guys go crazy with the industrial equipment shooting-fest, check into caluwild.org. These are the folks, being an off-shoot of the Sierra Club, who have been trying to close down Panoche Hills (PH) for the last tow years.

They are activing trying to get the BLM manager responsible for PH to extend the two WSA areas withing Panoche into one larger one and expand it as well. Basically, they have been proposing to the BLM manager (some gal, name escapes me now) to extend the WSA to the first fork on the access road pass the third gate. That would really screw things up for our access.

WSA is a well-crafted use policy that is designed for Sierra Club member and other "environmentalists" to enjoy the land at the exclusion of everyone else.

Also, much of Panoche Hills is sandstone which is very fragile comparibly to other soils. If you been out there, you would have recognized your footprints have a bigger impact than usual.

I fear what Technical-Ted stated and his concerns may come true. I really recommend that you guys leave the tannerite and appliances at home. Just use regular targets, plates, etc. Leave the place in better shape than you arrived.

I suppose talking about this on the internet isn't such a good idea. When I "have some tannerite fun" at Panoche, it is WAY far back to a spot NO ONE ever goes. No one sees the spot, and no one without a truck in good shape and 4x4 will be able to even get there. I clean up all of the remaining junk that I can find, and when I'm done, it appears that no one was even there. I don't support blowing up items along the main road or in view from other people. I would hate to see Panoche shut down, that has been my playground extensively for the last several years.

The key is to just be smart about what you do there, and leave the place clean.

1919A4
01-04-2007, 3:00 PM
Actually, I personally wont be blowing anything up. I will be using the tannernite byitself. My last conversation with Lesly Smith who is the director of the BLM area said she was not going to be closing the place down.But who knows, that could have changed. She did mention about puting a facility out there.Her main concern is all the trash build up. She did say they have discussed closing it down to campers,hikers,target shooters, flower sniffers,etc at one time. But since us calguners have stepped up to clean the place up it made a difference and will from here on out hopefully. I have personally volunteered to go out there every 3-4 months to do the same cleanup as we did before. I am sure the same group who stepped up before will be there also. Now, I expect there to be another clean up coming up soon. I recently emailed Lesly and Jason to start coordinating another one. Its guys like us that do our small part that just may keep this place open for us. I am not sure how much cleanup these groups do that you mentioned but from the looks of it they didnt do much. maybe they plant flowers or something. I think between us and all the cubscouts,etc we may come out on top. Turby is the one who got the last one started by the way.

dwtt
01-04-2007, 8:44 PM
I would like to go to this shoot, but is the dirt road passable in a passenger vehicle or is an off road vehicle needed? Any steep hills?

1919A4
01-04-2007, 10:30 PM
A passenger vehicle will be fine.

I would like to go to this shoot, but is the dirt road passable in a passenger vehicle or is an off road vehicle needed? Any steep hills?

FEDUPWBS
01-05-2007, 3:10 PM
OK, Im in! Does each individual fire need a campfire permit or does it cover the group? Is there a use permit needed? I have never been on BLM land before. Will bring my 1919a6 if I can get the rivits smashed in time. I will be there Fri night 1/26. Thanks, Jeff

spaceburger
01-06-2007, 9:31 AM
I think we as Calgunners, should always emphasize putting forward a persona of intelligent responsible and socially active environmentalists. We want access to the land to enjoy it. Then we clean it up when we leave. We care about it, we want to keep it the way it is, and we want access. I think if we always pursue this course it will create a track record to fight the "gun nuts" label we have received from certain State employees who we pay to uphold our laws. I know they wrongfully decide to inject their socialist/communist ideals into trying to control us but we must fight the fight with words and actions. Emphasize responsibility within our ranks always. Besides..the trip sounds like fun. “Blow up clean up” could be a new bumper sticker.

Blue
01-07-2007, 8:14 PM
I wonder if my Suburban will hold up for that trip.....is there alot of hilly areas we'd have to drive through?

1919A4
01-07-2007, 10:36 PM
You should be fine. When we had the clean up day I think all of us had stock vehicle except bigmac. But , I have never been past the spot we went to that day. I am sure someone else can chime in here.

I wonder if my Suburban will hold up for that trip.....is there alot of hilly areas we'd have to drive through?

Blue
01-07-2007, 11:08 PM
You should be fine. When we had the clean up day I think all of us had stock vehicle except bigmac. But , I have never been past the spot we went to that day. I am sure someone else can chime in here.

lol I was asking because my Suburban has 270k+ miles on it and she's starting to act like she wants an overhaul.

Inkman
01-08-2007, 5:57 PM
Thinking real hard about making this one. Few q's not asked yet though.

1. Camping/sleeping in my van o.k.? And how close to the shoot area?

2. How nasty are the bathrooms/outhouses? Sorry, but it's a phobia with me. Imodium is my best friend on "semi-campouts".

3. Fruits and veggies o.k. to use for targets and are there enough varmints out there to clean em up overnite or will they be there for days? Separate area for short range pistol use? (not too good a shot at 50 yds with the handguns).

4. How many intend to spend the nite? BBQ?

5. Sorry for all the questions...have mercy on me.

Al

FEDUPWBS
01-08-2007, 6:14 PM
Ill be there sleeping in my car or tent depending on if its ok will pick up camp fire permit thurs., If I knew where to go to get it. Im calling in sick on fri night as I work nights and dont want to get ordered over for overtime on Sat.!

1919A4
01-08-2007, 6:17 PM
1. Camping, You can camp where you shoot.

2. Bathrooms, there isnt any. What I do is bring my little walmart camping/bucket toilet for myself just in case.

3. Killing veggies, I dont think theres many critters out there. I will have a huge shovel so we could always clean up the mess.

4. How many intend to spend the nite? Not sure.

Thinking real hard about making this one. Few q's not asked yet though.

1. Camping/sleeping in my van o.k.? And how close to the shoot area?

2. How nasty are the bathrooms/outhouses? Sorry, but it's a phobia with me. Imodium is my best friend on "semi-campouts".

3. Fruits and veggies o.k. to use for targets and are there enough varmints out there to clean em up overnite or will they be there for days? Separate area for short range pistol use? (not too good a shot at 50 yds with the handguns).

4. How many intend to spend the nite? BBQ?

5. Sorry for all the questions...have mercy on me.

Al

BigMac
01-09-2007, 6:02 AM
I wont be spending the night.. I will be shooting all day so don't come hung over ;)

I have a dozen shots with my 20mm and my 1919 is converted to 8mm now.

I'm getting excited... I think I will clean my cannon tonight.

stator
01-09-2007, 8:18 AM
1. Camping, You can camp where you shoot.

Not true if one is camping inside their van/truck/car as the guy was asking. Autos must remain withing 15 feet of a roadway at all times. Shooting from the roadway is prohibited.

FEDUPWBS
01-09-2007, 10:33 AM
I wont be spending the night.. I will be shooting all day so don't come hung over ;)

:eek: 20MM now Im getting "excited":eek:

1919A4
01-09-2007, 3:47 PM
Ha, I cant wait to see that 20mm fire. I think I am going to bring a video camera this time. And of course I will not video tape any of you all unless you want a video clip of yourself having fun. lol
Just a heads up. The case of 308 showed up today,, hehehe.

stator
01-09-2007, 4:55 PM
Isn't 20mm ammo considered a destructive device in CA? Being that it is over .78 and is fixed ammo (shell casing), it sounds like it is. Or, is this thing a blackpowder and ball cannon with a smooth bore?

I'd laugh if the DOJ does not consider a destructive device but the muzzle end of my Yugo as such.

RW Dunn
01-09-2007, 7:17 PM
quote " How nasty are the bathrooms/outhouses? Sorry, but it's a phobia with me. Imodium is my best friend on "semi-campouts". LOL welcome to ruffing it

Blue
01-09-2007, 8:29 PM
Isn't 20mm ammo considered a destructive device in CA? Being that it is over .78 and is fixed ammo (shell casing), it sounds like it is. Or, is this thing a blackpowder and ball cannon with a smooth bore?

I'd laugh if the DOJ does not consider a destructive device but the muzzle end of my Yugo as such.

It's black powder.

BigMac
01-10-2007, 5:23 AM
Well, it's a fuse fired bag gun. Not a fixed ammunition gun. A 20mm round will stick out og the chamber quite a ways and the breech wont close.

I'm getting it out and claen it up a little tomarrow when I get home from SanFrancisco. Then maybe I'll link up some ammo ;)

mr_leetzor
01-10-2007, 2:04 PM
I have never been out to the BLM land, and part of the reason I am going is so I can pick up some experience from the ones who have been doing it for a while.

Is there anything the experienced types reccomend to bring and have prepared ? I am a fairly expereinced camper(real camping, not in a tent next to my car) but unclear as to what might be useful down in the BLM land.

Some things I jotted down to get ready:

tent
sleeping bag/pad
2-3 days water and food
2-3 days clothes
shovel/TP for human waste
trash bags for trash(plus more for shoot cleanup trash)
lighting for night
fire construction materials
first aid materials

Stuff that I am not used to bringing on a camping trip:

guns
ammo
targets that go boom

Any more suggestions from those who have been there before ?

sned45
01-10-2007, 9:00 PM
Going to try to make this, just hope I don't have to work.

1919A4
01-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I just found out a bit ago that I may not make it to the shoot. I have an interview for a job in Reno. It’s on the late afternoon/evening the day before the shoot. I am hoping I can move it up a few days. If I get this job I will be able to relocate with my current salary, benefits, etc. Pray for me guys. I really want to move my family the hell out of this state.:D

1919A4
01-10-2007, 11:53 PM
sorry, hit the buttom twice

1919A4
01-10-2007, 11:53 PM
sorry, hit the buttom twice

kenc9
01-11-2007, 8:34 AM
I'll be there to check it out and a friend is coming (Ron).

-ken

1919A4
01-11-2007, 8:00 PM
yeeha, I got my interview moved to next week. So I am good to go for the shoot again,:D

I just found out a bit ago that I may not make it to the shoot. I have an interview for a job in Reno. It’s on the late afternoon/evening the day before the shoot. I am hoping I can move it up a few days. If I get this job I will be able to relocate with my current salary, benefits, etc. Pray for me guys. I really want to move my family the hell out of this state.:D

Cesar G.
01-11-2007, 9:55 PM
good that would have sucked if you where not able to go and you where the one who put it togethersee you there

BigMac
01-13-2007, 10:31 AM
So I have called everyone accept one tannerite buyer.

A guy with the innitials SR your tannerite is in and the phone nu mber you gave me (they way I wrote it down) is invalid.

cnyankee
01-13-2007, 4:55 PM
ok im in for sure and am bringing at least 2 friends.

1919A4
01-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Wow, I had no idea we were going to have so many coming out to this day of shooting. That’s awesome!!! We must have at least 25 + people showing up. With this many people, even though we are all responsible shooters, we will have to set up a firing line and designate a range master or two that can check everyone’s chambers before allowing anyone to go down range and to make sure no one handles there weapons during the cease fire periods. I guess we can take turns doing this. Does anyone have some tables they can bring so that everyone can put out there weapons they are currently shooting? If you don’t have a table make sure you have a tarp or something you can lay your weapons out on the firing line during the cease fire. I think this would be a good precaution to take. That way it will be easy for the designated range masters to check that everyone’s Bolt/slides are locked backed and chambers are empty during the cease fire. Once the range is clear we can proceed down range to check targets. This is just to make sure that we all have a good time and that everyone is safe at all times. I know we all know this but I just wanted to put it out there. :D
Brian

FEDUPWBS
01-15-2007, 1:22 PM
Might as well bring your odds and ends for sale or trade (sort of an unofficial swap meet), with this many people that should get interesting.:D

dwtt
01-16-2007, 8:39 PM
Might as well bring your odds and ends for sale or trade (sort of an unofficial swap meet), with this many people that should get interesting.:D
Anyone have a semiauto G3 trigger pack? If so, then I'm going. :)

edwardm
01-16-2007, 9:52 PM
I'll volunteer, as long as I don't get stuck doing so all day. ;) I may even have a few spare chamber flags if folks feel better using them. I'll check my stash o' random stuff.

Wow, I had no idea we were going to have so many coming out to this day of shooting. That’s awesome!!! We must have at least 25 + people showing up. With this many people, even though we are all responsible shooters, we will have to set up a firing line and designate a range master or two that can check everyone’s chambers before allowing anyone to go down range and to make sure no one handles there weapons during the cease fire periods. I guess we can take turns doing this. Does anyone have some tables they can bring so that everyone can put out there weapons they are currently shooting? If you don’t have a table make sure you have a tarp or something you can lay your weapons out on the firing line during the cease fire. I think this would be a good precaution to take. That way it will be easy for the designated range masters to check that everyone’s Bolt/slides are locked backed and chambers are empty during the cease fire. Once the range is clear we can proceed down range to check targets. This is just to make sure that we all have a good time and that everyone is safe at all times. I know we all know this but I just wanted to put it out there. :D
Brian

stator
01-17-2007, 1:34 PM
1/27 is DROS pickup day for a 870 express. I plan on being out there on Sunday shooting some clays. Hopefully, the Trius will arrive by then as well. I need to push some teenagers into washing the truck and cleaning the guns. They fell down on the job last weekend.

Pickup your brass and other shell casings. The usually shooting spots are becoming littered with such. Thanks to who ever picked up the trash bags and propane tank near the third gate recently. Screw you to the mystery people who continue to litter their red 12 gauge shells all over the road and for leaving the White Flyer empty box on the access road.

C.G.
01-17-2007, 2:03 PM
Screw you to the mystery people who continue to litter their red 12 gauge shells all over the road and for leaving the White Flyer empty box on the access road.

Yup, that seems to be a problem there. Last time we picked up about three garbage bags worth (and none of us shot shotguns) and there were plenty more.:mad:

1919A4
01-17-2007, 4:09 PM
I agree Ed, I figure we would just step up durring cease fire time only. No need to have a rangemaster the whole time.

I'll volunteer, as long as I don't get stuck doing so all day. ;) I may even have a few spare chamber flags if folks feel better using them. I'll check my stash o' random stuff.

edwardm
01-17-2007, 8:39 PM
OK. I was thinking with that many people, it might be wise though to have one person (say 1/2 hour or so at a time, in a rotation) to keep an eye on what's going on.

While I believe in everyone being aware, sometimes one set of unoccupied eyes can go a long way towards safety of all. Just a thought. I'll leave it to the concensus to decide what's best. :)

I agree Ed, I figure we would just step up durring cease fire time only. No need to have a rangemaster the whole time.

FEDUPWBS
01-18-2007, 9:46 AM
Anbody ever drive panoche rd. from Hollister? How is it? How far? Looks better than driving all the way around(on the map). Oh yea Im bringing Remington 700 and the Garand Tanker if anybody is interested in buying! Anyone have extra ar and or PTR maglock and 10rounder Ill bring the m-4 havnt shot it yet cause it needs the compliance parts for final assembly.

1919A4
01-19-2007, 2:03 PM
Since we are getting closer to the date. Where are us bay area guys going to meet. Same place as last time. What time also is good for you guys this time around. What time did we meet up last time. Was it 6:30am

mr_leetzor
01-19-2007, 3:37 PM
Since we are getting closer to the date. Where are us bay area guys going to meet. Same place as last time. What time also is good for you guys this time around. What time did we meet up last time. Was it 6:30am

As in meetup to caravan down ?

1919A4
01-19-2007, 3:58 PM
yes sir

As in meetup to caravan down ?

edwardm
01-19-2007, 5:06 PM
Done it, but it's sort of annoying. Condition is OK, don't recall distances. If you have a high clearance rig, it's a more fun ride to take 25->Los Gatos Creek Road aka Coalinga Road, and turn off into the Clear Creek Management Area, and take the main road up and over the ridge, down into Idria, and from there out to Panoche Hills. Probably more time involved than if you stay on paved roads, but you can't beat some of the views.

Anbody ever drive panoche rd. from Hollister? How is it? How far? Looks better than driving all the way around(on the map). Oh yea Im bringing Remington 700 and the Garand Tanker if anybody is interested in buying! Anyone have extra ar and or PTR maglock and 10rounder Ill bring the m-4 havnt shot it yet cause it needs the compliance parts for final assembly.

BigMac
01-20-2007, 9:11 AM
Thats exactly how I found Panoche Hills. I crossed over Clear creak while it was closed down dor weather ;)

The close the gates if it rains.. I went over on dirt bike trails.

Found new Idria and couln't figure out how to get back to clear creak :eek:

I kinda miss that truck..it would go anywhere.

edwardm
01-20-2007, 9:24 AM
Which bike trails (T designated) did you use to bypass the main road and still get over the ridge?

Last time I was there, they'd gotten a ton of rain (this was 2 years ago) and the crossing into CCMA at the river was roaring, about 24 inches of water. A friend and I made it across in 4 low, but the main road was impassable before we got to the last staging area.

Actually, I should qualify that - it was passable, but not anywhere near safe (that clay just packed the lugs and that was that - glass wheels on ice for all purposes). You ever roll up that road across from the Oak Flat campground? I hear it's a fun trail for a 4x4, but don't know diddly about it. Hoping to go check out the B-17 crash site this summer with a local archaeologist.

the_lynch_family
01-21-2007, 1:42 PM
Check the first page.

Rascal
01-21-2007, 4:02 PM
That would be Rascal +3

kenc9
01-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Can I get a rundown what will be there?

Is this a simple target shoot and bring what I will need to bring targets and such along with food and drink?

-ken

1919A4
01-22-2007, 11:43 AM
This place is just open country. There are no target stands. You will need to come up with targets. I am going to pretty much just bring milk/juice jugs to shoot at along with a steel gong. I did make a target stand out of pcv to hold a cardboard target.
As far as food I would just bring what you need to eat. Noone has stepped up and said lets bque, etc. At this point I am bringing food for myself, but I will have some extra food. If someone wants to bque let us know. I would bring some beef.

Also, Theres no crapper out there so you will have to use your imagination. I plan on using one of bigmacs 30cal ammo cans,,LOL kidding :D

Can I get a rundown what will be there?

Is this a simple target shoot and bring what I will need to bring targets and such along with food and drink?

-ken

BigMac
01-22-2007, 11:58 AM
I hope so! It's a long way back to the road if your truck is "accidendtly" dit by a cannon round :)

stator
01-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Anybody know whats down the access road (south) past the California Ecological Preserve section within Panoche (and past the really steep drop-off portion)?

All of the bird hunters I've seen this past month head down there and disappear. Never do I find their trucks either.

BTW, the Ecological Preserve section would have been a great long distance shooting place if the rules had allowed it. Figures, screwed by this state as well even in BLM land.

1919A4
01-22-2007, 12:46 PM
LMAO, I just new you were going to say something like that!!! LOL

I kind of thought you would say something in the line of tannerite though,,:D
Talk at you saturday morning.:D

I hope so! It's a long way back to the road if your truck is "accidendtly" dit by a cannon round :)

Rickfifty
01-22-2007, 6:01 PM
Is there still room to park another truck & 2 guys? If so, put me down for "maybe". I've got a couple steel targets & some Tannerite.

BigMac
01-24-2007, 5:58 AM
The place is 12000 acres. There is room, we just need to find a good spot.

Gringo Bandito
01-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Is it too late to get in on this trip? My buddy and I are interested in doing some range shooting.

I can bring a Weber Grill for food:D

FEDUPWBS
01-24-2007, 1:00 PM
Its only to late on sun the 28th:D

Santa Cruz Armory
01-24-2007, 6:46 PM
I'm in if I can find some .223 and 7.62x39 :rolleyes:

thedrickel
01-24-2007, 7:21 PM
I'm in if I can find some .223 and 7.62x39 :rolleyes:

Same here . . . and a ride!

C.G.
01-24-2007, 7:36 PM
I may have to bail. Eventhough I am back in the US and have the time, my SUV decided to act up and if I don't get it fixed, I might have to shop for another one, instead.:mad:

RW Dunn
01-25-2007, 6:18 AM
Me too,other prior engagements that the wifey thinks that i need to attend:(

stator
01-25-2007, 10:19 AM
The place is 12000 acres. There is room, we just need to find a good spot.

Be careful though, because the primo areas for large groups tend to be the two WSA areas and the Ecological Preserve area within the BLM boundaries. Just about the only areas large enough for this seemingly large party is the main valley just past the 3rd gate.

That is why I asked if anyone ventured way south down the Panoche access road (that's the road you take going through the gates). If you done this, you would know what I am taking about... south past the hillcrest where there is a very steep drop just off at the road's edge (eastern side of the road) and a small campfire ring on the pull-out area.

1norcalvarmintHunter
01-25-2007, 1:00 PM
Where is this at? Close to Stockton/Sacramento?

FEDUPWBS
01-25-2007, 1:37 PM
Where is this at? Close to Stockton/Sacramento?
Its just south of Los Banos off I-5 check this thread for directions. See you there.:D

mr_leetzor
01-25-2007, 2:08 PM
If there are any HAMs out there during the drive I'll be on 145.600 simplex to chat with others if they get lost... or if I get lost ;)

Oh and just to make sure, are these the preferred directions ?
http://www.blm.gov/ca/hollister/panoche_tumeys.html#gothere

KI6BKI

Rascal
01-25-2007, 3:46 PM
The Mercy HOT Springs exit, is actually Shields Ave.
There is a Mercy Springs Exit on I-5, but you DON"T WANT that one.

1norcalvarmintHunter
01-25-2007, 6:53 PM
what kind of rifles etc... should be brought? Legal approved assault weapons, Cali OLL? or just basic hunting stuff...

1919A4
01-25-2007, 7:41 PM
Can someone bring a rangefinder.

thedrickel
01-25-2007, 8:21 PM
Well I am officially coming. I'm bringing a table, couple chairs, tarp, garbage bags, etc. And a bunch of 8mm for bigmac's 1919 :D

Santa Cruz Armory
01-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Where is everyone meeting to caravan into Panoche??

I'm coming from Santa Cruz and need to follow somebody in. I have been to Clear Creek to ride but thats it. I've always come from the Hollister direction.

Thanks

K9paulc
01-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Can't make it after all. Maybe I'll get a chance to head up there during the week. You guys have a good time shooting and be safe!

mr_leetzor
01-26-2007, 12:33 AM
I think I went overboard guys... I spent $80 on targets.

3 large watermelons
6 small watermelons
5 2-liter bottles of club soda
32 cans of soda

I was too late for the tannerite purchase, but these things should be fun to watch. See you all there!

BigMac
01-26-2007, 6:24 AM
Ivan... should I bring your tannerite?

EdwardM.. I am still bringing your tannerite?

1919a4, are you bringing your linker?

I am going to start loading the truck this after noon. I have to get some target stuff in the bottom of the truck bed and then I have to get help putting my cannon in the truck. I still have to figure out what guns I want to bring. Ugggghhhhh I love them all but it's only a one day event ;)

edwardm
01-26-2007, 9:02 AM
I was going to call you this morning.

Yes, please bring my tannerite. However, if you're out of room, PM me and I can figure out some way to pick it up from you today/tonight if you want. Or if you need a 2nd truck to haul stuff down, I should have plenty of room in mine for boxes of tannerite, ammo cans, whatever.

Just let me know. :D

Ivan... should I bring your tannerite?

EdwardM.. I am still bringing your tannerite?

1919a4, are you bringing your linker?

I am going to start loading the truck this after noon. I have to get some target stuff in the bottom of the truck bed and then I have to get help putting my cannon in the truck. I still have to figure out what guns I want to bring. Ugggghhhhh I love them all but it's only a one day event ;)

Can'thavenuthingood
01-26-2007, 10:02 AM
You guys keep an eye out for an old 1964 Ford F100 pickup truck. Its a tan colored Rustoleum paint job with a tool box across the bed behind cab. Some old guy will be driving it:D

I expect to be there around 9:30 am or thereabouts. Going up the I-5 to Shields and head west, seems like a good route. Never been there. I can also haul out some trash with me saturday afternoon. I'll be leaving Panoche about 2 pm as I have an ATV class sunday morning.

Ought to have a CALGUNS sign on the doors, its supposed to be ready at 11 am today. I'll bring some trash bags.

Vick

BigMac
01-26-2007, 4:33 PM
Edward.... got you covered. I'm bringing my Doge, so I'll make room.

I was hoping to be loading my truck by now but somehow got stuck at the customer service desk.

I have belts to load dangit! I need to get my cannon out of the garage! I cant be sitting here like this.

1919A4
01-26-2007, 4:38 PM
It just starting to rain. Time to get out the rain gear:D

BigMac
01-26-2007, 4:50 PM
Supposed to be rainin in Los Banos tomarrow too.

Dang, I guess I better get out my big tarp and my easy up.

edwardm
01-26-2007, 4:54 PM
Supposed to be rainin in Los Banos tomarrow too.

Dang, I guess I better get out my big tarp and my easy up.

I'll do the same.

Can'thavenuthingood
01-26-2007, 5:57 PM
Forecast for Los Banos is partly cloudy saturday with light rain showers after 4 pm, though cooler than today.
Ought to be a fairly nice day, night time might be a bit moist.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=93635&hourly=1&yday=26&weekday=Saturday

I reckon in the back hills things could change quickly.

Vick

Santa Cruz Armory
01-26-2007, 6:14 PM
Is anyone coming from the Central coast? I'd like to follow or meet up with somebody and follow them in.

sned45
01-26-2007, 6:27 PM
Looks like I'm working tomorrow. Someone take lots of pics.

FEDUPWBS
01-26-2007, 6:47 PM
Is anyone coming from the Central coast? I'd like to follow or meet up with somebody and follow them in.
I will be at the Diner at Casa De Fruta at aprox. 0830 for breakfast. Anybody else want to meet at this time? Rsvp here by am and I will reserve a big booth and just ask the hostess where the Calgunners are? Rain or Shine Ill be there, Jeff

Santa Cruz Armory
01-26-2007, 7:30 PM
I'll be at Casa De Fruta at 8:30. See you guys there.

HELP !! I NEED 7.62X39 I only have 80 rds!! :eek:

I will be at the Diner at Casa De Fruta at aprox. 0830 for breakfast. Anybody else want to meet at this time? Rsvp here by am and I will reserve a big booth and just ask the hostess where the Calgunners are? Rain or Shine Ill be there, Jeff

BigMac
01-26-2007, 9:13 PM
I'll be passing by right about that time. I need to get in a little early to kinda scout out a decent spot for more cars and people than I would normally be shooting with. I think someone with a 1919 wanted to shoot a little farther out too.

We shouldn't be to hard to fins when we start setting up :D

BigMac
01-26-2007, 9:13 PM
I have an extra case of 7.62x39. I'll bring it along.

I'll be at Casa De Fruta at 8:30. See you guys there.

HELP !! I NEED 7.62X39 I only have 80 rds!! :eek:

Santa Cruz Armory
01-26-2007, 9:56 PM
I have an extra case of 7.62x39. I'll bring it along.

You my friend, are The Man!! :D

Rascal
01-27-2007, 6:21 AM
Well it's been raining pretty good for the last 3 hours.
I don't think I'll be able to go. I didn't get my Explorer registered and my car is not going to make it up there in the mud. :(
A lite rain and I would go but not this hard.
Sorry guys. :(

FEDUPWBS
01-27-2007, 6:56 AM
Well it's been raining pretty good for the last 3 hours.
I don't think I'll be able to go. I didn't get my Explorer registered and my car is not going to make it up there in the mud. :(
A lite rain and I would go but not this hard.
Sorry guys. :(
Excuses excuses excuses! Man up just wait at the gate and someone will give you a ride in:) Just use the secret calguns handsignal;)

stator
01-27-2007, 8:08 AM
Remington 870 pick up today; Trius one-step had arrived on Tuesday; 2 boxes of White Flyers; a case of Win AA light target load; a couple of cases of Wolf; case of 9mm; two bricks of .22; new M4 forgery configuration with M68....

Tomorrow is going to be great. Please do not tear the access road up too much and let me know where the trash is tonight so I can haul some of it out tomorrow. ;)

Thanks & have fun today!

edwardm
01-27-2007, 10:13 PM
We packed all our junk out, but SOMEONE left a "Keep Right" road sign behind. I was going to take it out, but then it dawned on me. If I get pulled over and 5-0 sees it, they just got probable cause to search. So it's still out there in the spot. ;)

We had a great day out there. I hope to see pics and footage soon. I got to bang on BigMac's 1919....I've never had a bigger grin on my face.

Remington 870 pick up today; Trius one-step had arrived on Tuesday; 2 boxes of White Flyers; a case of Win AA light target load; a couple of cases of Wolf; case of 9mm; two bricks of .22; new M4 forgery configuration with M68....

Tomorrow is going to be great. Please do not tear the access road up too much and let me know where the trash is tonight so I can haul some of it out tomorrow. ;)

Thanks & have fun today!

BigMac
01-28-2007, 9:05 AM
OH crap!

I forgot all about the dang sign, I'll go back and get it. I never even shot at it. I did haul away the metal VAV box you guys found up there.

With the way that sign looked I doubt anyone would give you a bad time.

I whished I'd have known about the guys haveing trouble getting in, we could have arranged a shuttle.

I didn't get back in the house till almost 9:00 last night. I was home around seven but I spent a couple hours cleaning guns. I have to go clean my 1919 as soon as my coffee is done.

Comon guys post up them pics :D

edited to add: You have permision to post my pic if you have it.

Rickfifty
01-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Here's Charlie. Luckiest dog around. Made it across our range during live fire! http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/rickfifty/PanocheHillsshoot010.jpg

stator
01-28-2007, 7:52 PM
We packed all our junk out, but SOMEONE left a "Keep Right" road sign behind. I was going to take it out, but then it dawned on me. If I get pulled over and 5-0 sees it, they just got probable cause to search. So it's still out there in the spot. ;)

We had a great day out there. I hope to see pics and footage soon. I got to bang on BigMac's 1919....I've never had a bigger grin on my face.

I saw the "Keep Right" sign as I was leaving but there was a pickup pulled over right there and an open kennel cage in the back. We kept in the truck driving on. I did pack out a Compaq network hub, Coors cans, White Flyer box and other trash.

Someone was shooting at a TV in the bowl just outside the 3rd gate this evening. Geez, do they not realize the toxic crap inside CRTs? Looked like a silve Nissan Xettra. Anybody here?

1norcalvarmintHunter
01-29-2007, 12:59 AM
I saw the "Keep Right" sign as I was leaving but there was a pickup pulled over right there and an open kennel cage in the back. We kept in the truck driving on. I did pack out a Compaq network hub, Coors cans, White Flyer box and other trash.

Someone was shooting at a TV in the bowl just outside the 3rd gate this evening. Geez, do they not realize the toxic crap inside CRTs? Looked like asilve Nissan Xettra. Anybody here? - I give you a gold star for cleaning up after others....

I feeel the need to ramble, cause this issue burns my thoughts...

First off i hope no one person on this site is disrespectfull enough to not pick up there trash or shooting garbage....

How can people dump or litter let alone leave own shooting trash behind! I help take care of private land that has lots of permission and it really irritates me when people dont or use there common sense to clean up and put trash in TRASH CANS!

We live in a state that is slowly loosing its numbers of hunters/gun owners and target shooters. So it definitely does not help when people are careless and abuse the places that remain in our state that are open for public shooting/hunting. Before you know it we will be stuck with high range prices and regulated shooting throughout the state... We already have bans on calibers and types of guns... what is next? I really dont want to give the people more reasons to take more righs away... Heck before you know it, they will say the discharge of our firearms propellants is toxic or pollutes too much and we wont be able to shoot powder proppelled projectiles...

edwardm
01-29-2007, 12:31 PM
If I have some time this weekend, I'll go back and get it when I have fewer guns in the truck (so if I get stopped, it'll take the cop less time to pester me). In fact, I have to run out to Tracy Saturday AM with the wife, so if that all goes well, I can run out and grab it.

I spent all morning Sunday giving things a cursory cleanup, and pulled the AR apart and got it all happy again. That 1919 in 8mm is a beast. :)

Oh and I don't care who sees my mug. Between my bar #, my ham radio license and whatever else, I'm not hard to find.

OH crap!

I forgot all about the dang sign, I'll go back and get it. I never even shot at it. I did haul away the metal VAV box you guys found up there.

With the way that sign looked I doubt anyone would give you a bad time.

I whished I'd have known about the guys haveing trouble getting in, we could have arranged a shuttle.

I didn't get back in the house till almost 9:00 last night. I was home around seven but I spent a couple hours cleaning guns. I have to go clean my 1919 as soon as my coffee is done.

Comon guys post up them pics :D

edited to add: You have permision to post my pic if you have it.

stator
01-29-2007, 4:12 PM
If I have some time this weekend, I'll go back and get it when I have fewer guns in the truck (so if I get stopped, it'll take the cop less time to pester me). In fact, I have to run out to Tracy Saturday AM with the wife, so if that all goes well, I can run out and grab it.

I spent all morning Sunday giving things a cursory cleanup, and pulled the AR apart and got it all happy again. That 1919 in 8mm is a beast. :)

Oh and I don't care who sees my mug. Between my bar #, my ham radio license and whatever else, I'm not hard to find.

Did you and mr_leetzor hook-up via 2meter simplex on the way out? That's a pretty rough area without a repeater. Next month it will be 10meters for all which will be better. I'm deciding on whether to put my 10meter rig in the truck. Perhaps if there is more local activity. It's a Ranger so it could have another purpose. ;) I just have to dig up the mod somewhere.

How did you guys control the backstop area? I saw the sign leaving the area yesterday evening and though who would have put it there. I was expecting you guys to shoot at BigMac's spot which I visited for the first time yesterday. The road to that spot did have some mud-ridden tracks that appeared to be from Saturday.

I typically shoot in an isolated spot very near to the CADFG Ecological Preserve. The Preserve is a great spot for this type of large shoot & meet. It is an open valley with great backstop hills and a nearly flat area for shooting out to 300 meters and more. It is further south down the access road from where you guys were. It is just beyond the old, outdated BLM boundary sign. It is so nice, it is probably off-limits.

The main shooting spots I have found trekking around there are:

1- The main valley just beyond the 3rd gate. Typical backstop is the western hillslope.
2- Even before the right turn down into this valley and just beyond the third gate is a green gate on the eastern side. Through the gate and down the road is a small shooting area. This is the northern WSA designated area, however.
3- BigMac's spot.

edwardm
01-29-2007, 5:10 PM
No, I didn't bother to fire up the 2m rig. I was busy shootin. :)

Did you and mr_leetzor hook-up via 2meter simplex on the way out? That's a pretty rough area without a repeater. Next month it will be 10meters for all which will be better. I'm deciding on whether to put my 10meter rig in the truck. Perhaps if there is more local activity. It's a Ranger so it could have another purpose. ;) I just have to dig up the mod somewhere.

How did you guys control the backstop area? I saw the sign leaving the area yesterday evening and though who would have put it there. I was expecting you guys to shoot at BigMac's spot which I visited for the first time yesterday. The road to that spot did have some mud-ridden tracks that appeared to be from Saturday.

I typically shoot in an isolated spot very near to the CADFG Ecological Preserve. The Preserve is a great spot for this type of large shoot & meet. It is an open valley with great backstop hills and a nearly flat area for shooting out to 300 meters and more. It is further south down the access road from where you guys were. It is just beyond the old, outdated BLM boundary sign. It is so nice, it is probably off-limits.

The main shooting spots I have found trekking around there are:

1- The main valley just beyond the 3rd gate. Typical backstop is the western hillslope.
2- Even before the right turn down into this valley and just beyond the third gate is a green gate on the eastern side. Through the gate and down the road is a small shooting area. This is the northern WSA designated area, however.
3- BigMac's spot.

ldivinag
01-29-2007, 9:29 PM
no pics beside the lucky dog??????

11Z50
01-29-2007, 10:24 PM
There is a spot in the far south end I call "the grassy knoll". It's a good spot for rifle shooting, but it would most likely not be accessible in wet weather.

The big thing to remember in visiting Panoche is that if you get stuck there it's going to be a long wait for help....be prepared.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Here's a few pics...everyone has on a happy face!!!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics112.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/114.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/113.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics114-1.jpg

Santa Cruz Armory
01-29-2007, 10:27 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics116-1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics115-1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics118.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics119-2.jpg

11Z50
01-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh, BTW, don't forget Griswold hills and Clear Creek BLM land as potential shooting options.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-29-2007, 10:30 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics125.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics124.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics123.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics126.jpg

edwardm
01-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Since I was there, can I get copies without the evil smiley nonsense? Besides, I don't really care if my mug gets shown, FWIW. :)

edwardm
01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Clear Creek is dicey. You have all sorts of OHV and bike riders up there and I'd be worried about a stray round hurting someone. There are some more isolated spots, but it's a ride to get there, and only a 4x4 (or a quad/bike) is going to make it in and out. I figure we have Panoche and the OHV folks have CCMA. It's a fair deal, I think. :)

There's private land up there just past Idria (Mexican Flat, above the Idria reservoir) that isn't posted as private, which means it only becomes an offense in CA if you refuse to leave after being told to. Good thing is, the owner is old and in poor health and doesn't enforce the property rights (I have sort of an inside track on the Idria area).

Or we could all have a huge shoot up in the Nevada desert when things warm up and spend 2 or 3 days in a free state.

Oh, BTW, don't forget Griswold hills and Clear Creek BLM land as potential shooting options.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Since I was there, can I get copies without the evil smiley nonsense? Besides, I don't really care if my mug gets shown, FWIW. :)

PM sent :)

Rickfifty
01-31-2007, 5:00 PM
So, where's the picture of the big fireball? Was that Cesar that took that one?

BigMac
01-31-2007, 8:47 PM
I forgot my camera. I could have replaced all my hunt101 pics.

edwardm
01-31-2007, 9:20 PM
Hey, I missed you up at the shop today, BigMac. Oh well. :)

Cesar G.
01-31-2007, 10:12 PM
here it is http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e93/cgamino89/Picture009.jpg