PDA

View Full Version : How is my shooting accuracy

grxy
05-07-2011, 8:55 AM
I am a new shooter and recently purchased a 22 cal semi auto handgun with
a 3" barrel. Last week I took it to the range. First I took some practice shots and
adjusted the sights (simple iron sight) to center my shots. Then I put up a new target
and fired 18 shots from a distance of 15 yards. All shots fell within a 12" circle and
all but 2 within a 9" circle. I was shooting sitting down behind the bench with my hands
resting on cardboard box. Is this considered to be good or bad accuracy?
At his point I'm not sure how much is due to the gun and due to my ability.

Thanks

stangman86gt
05-07-2011, 9:07 AM
well, considering you were bench rested, and only 15yards away, I'd have to say mediocre accuracy at best.

However, you are new to shooting and it should only get better with time.

just out of curiosity, before you adjusted the sights, where were the shots going(ie. low-left, left, etc.)?

mike

USMC 82-86
05-07-2011, 9:45 AM
Not too bad for a new shooter. Did you group the rounds in a certain area of the target, or were they everywhere in that circle? The important thing as a new shooter is the funamentals. Good grip and consistant hold, good sight picture control your breathing and a nice trigger press. A good drill when shooting is to have a number in your head, say your number is 3. Now apply pressure to the trigger in steady and deliberate manner with the goal being to have the shot break at 3. It may happen at 1,2,3 but it will almost always be a surprise. The surprise is what you want. You will be suprised at how well you shoot next time. Good luck.

grxy
05-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

The rear sight was clearly out of adjustment. (I could see that it was not centered
over the barrel and the shots were going to the lower right).

After centering the sight and learning how far above the rear sight to place the front sight,
my shots are pretty evenly distributed within the circle and centered on the target.
(The sights can be adjusted for windage but not elevation).

Learning how to squeeze the trigger without disturbing the aim does seem to be a big
part.

j1133s
05-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I am a new shooter and recently purchased a 22 cal semi auto handgun with
a 3" barrel. Last week I took it to the range. First I took some practice shots and
adjusted the sights (simple iron sight) to center my shots. Then I put up a new target
and fired 18 shots from a distance of 15 yards. All shots fell within a 12" circle and
all but 2 within a 9" circle. I was shooting sitting down behind the bench with my hands
resting on cardboard box. Is this considered to be good or bad accuracy?
At his point I'm not sure how much is due to the gun and due to my ability.

Thanks

This is considered bad accuracy. But keep practicing, you'll improve.

McTerry
05-07-2011, 12:39 PM
15 yards is a fairly long distance for a new shooter, I would close it up to about 7 yards until you get comfortable with grip, stance (when you are standing) and the fundamentals of shooting before reaching out to 15 yards.

Practice, practice, practice...

Darklyte27
05-07-2011, 12:43 PM
I started at 15 yards with a pistol and was able to get about 8 inch groups with a M&P pistol. Then with my 2nd handgun a 1911 the groups shrank to 3-5 inches

CSACANNONEER
05-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Since all your points of impact are centered around your point of aim, your "accuracy"is fine. Now, it's time to work on your group size which is "precison" amd has nothing to do with "accuracy".

MaHoTex
05-07-2011, 2:00 PM
I knew CSA would jump in this one... ;)

Where is that picture showing the compare/contrast or precise and accurate? Ahhh .... Here it is...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KI3IRH6RxSs/TP3SFe14haI/AAAAAAAABw8/AODGDYlKBrU/s320/accuracy_vs_precision_556.jpg

well206
05-07-2011, 2:16 PM
Sounds like point of aim should be 6 o'clock when your front and rear sights are level. Meaning what you are aiming at should be right above your front sight. Would help for a consistent shot just keeping sights level.

Just as mentioned before, work on those fundamentals for better precision. YouTube can be your friend for some information.

BayAreaShooter
05-07-2011, 3:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

The rear sight was clearly out of adjustment. (I could see that it was not centered
over the barrel and the shots were going to the lower right).

After centering the sight and learning how far above the rear sight to place the front sight,
my shots are pretty evenly distributed within the circle and centered on the target.
(The sights can be adjusted for windage but not elevation).

Learning how to squeeze the trigger without disturbing the aim does seem to be a big
part.

Having to hold the front sight above the rear sight is most likely hurting your accuracy. What kind of pistol is it? Are you sure the sights are not adjustable for elevation? Considering you were bench rest shooting and at 15 yards I would expect your groups to be much better but since you are new to shooting you get a bit of leeway. The more rounds down range using the proper fundamentals will produce much better results.

gobi fish
05-07-2011, 4:45 PM
well, considering you were bench rested, and only 15yards away, I'd have to say mediocre accuracy at best.

However, you are new to shooting and it should only get better with time.

just out of curiosity, before you adjusted the sights, where were the shots going(ie. low-left, left, etc.)?

mike

+1 you need pratice but thats what makes perfect! good thing ammo is cheap and your not shooting 45acp or .50ae haha

IPSICK
05-07-2011, 4:51 PM
This is good for a beginner and the good part is that you're willing to learn and improve. You've already got the perfect caliber to learn the fundamentals.

beauregard
05-07-2011, 4:51 PM
For someone with experience it is not so hot for at rest shooting. Being that you're brand new, not bad.
Best way to improve is keep shooting.

hefedehefe
05-07-2011, 5:07 PM
What gun? An HP22?

CSACANNONEER
05-07-2011, 6:02 PM
I knew CSA would jump in this one... ;)

Where is that picture showing the compare/contrast or precise and accurate?

Thanks. I was posting from my phone and don't know how to cut and paste links from it.

grxy
05-07-2011, 6:28 PM
Thanks again,

The gun is a Phoenix arms HP22. with Remington hollow point "golden" rounds.
(I know its not a great gun but it is good for a start).

hefedehefe
05-07-2011, 6:34 PM
That is an awesome gun. I love my hp22 and ordered a 2nd in nickle. What other gun is .22 at that size? At that price? Withe that warranty? I think the HP22 is the best bang for your buck out of ALL guns you can buy new

Blackhawk556
05-07-2011, 7:05 PM
Watch this video. When you finish watching it, watch it again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=ysa50-plo48

Moto4Fun
05-07-2011, 8:13 PM
Oddly enough, I was at the range the other day and was checking out a pistol rest that they available to use; and I was less precise than I was off hand. I am not sure why that was but my group tightened up when I stood up and shot the way I always do. But the rest did show me where to line up my sights: target goes behind the front dot.

SpectreZ91
05-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Watch this video. When you finish watching it, watch it again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=ysa50-plo48

Thanks for the link! I think I'll be watching that 100's of times.

NoJoke
05-08-2011, 5:50 AM

marked