PDA

View Full Version : Can only get 9 rounds in a 10 round M&P9 magazine

carnelianbay
05-07-2011, 9:21 AM
Has anyone experienced an issue where you can only get 9 rounds in a 10 round M&P9 magazine? I now have 6 (4 M&P 9c and 2 full size) magazines that will only accept 9 rounds.

In two of the six the 10th rnd can be forced in but Iíd swear that Iím bending something.

Iíve read countless threads about how the mags have to be cycled, or to even cut the spring, but thatís definitely not the problem in my case because if I completely remove the spring I can still only get 9 rounds in. Recently I came across a thread that discussed how S&W changed the follower design in conjunction with a bright versus dull mag finish so I called S&W. Usually I have good experiences with them but this time it was different. He did acknowledge that there was an update a few years back but then he went cold. In the end he told me to send them all back and theyíll check it out, but would not admit that there was a problem or that he had ever heard about this before.

My plan is to sand off some material from the bottom 4 corners of the follower. Curious if anyone has had the same issue.

sniper4usmc
05-07-2011, 9:25 AM
buy urself uplula

sanjosebmx
05-07-2011, 9:26 AM
well...I have an M&P .40 and have 6 10 round magazines that I can put 10 rounds in each. 2 that came with the gun and 4 that I bought online (from gregcote.com) but they all are S&W magazines...

no mods...

can't say if the 9mm mags have some issue that the .40 does not have?

carnelianbay
05-07-2011, 9:41 AM
buy urself uplula

I have an UpLULA and it doesnít help.

Iíve had guys at the range check them out they theyíre as perplexed as me. If someone does have this issue Iíd be curious on the color of your follower and the finish of the mag body. All of these have been purchased within the last year in batches of two at different times (2 with the pistol, 2 from a load up coupon, 2 local supplier). They all have light gray followers and a dull finish.

amarzano
05-07-2011, 10:04 AM
I have done this and have to say the M&P 10 round Mags are tight! The 10th round does take some pushing and is hard on the fingers!

sanjosebmx
05-07-2011, 10:05 AM
how long have you had them?

bombadillo
05-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Man up WUSSY!!!!!

:D

J/K But seriously, its probably just a tight spring. My XD9SC was the same way and it was really hard to put a 10th rd in the mag until I worked it to death loading and unloading the thing.

Baconator
05-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Might try a speed loader thing until you've broken them in.

559luke
05-07-2011, 12:17 PM
It's not the spring. As the OP said he loaded without the spring and still could only fit 9. One of my M&P40 mags easily takes 10. On the other one the tenth round will just barley squeeze in. I'm sure S&W is just trying to avoid accidentally shipping 11 rounders. My buddy has a 10 round XD9 mag that holds 11.

0x80884
05-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I've got 4 M&P 10rd mags and all of them have been able to carry 10 since the day I got them. 2 different "batches" you could say since 2 came with the pistol and 2 were delivered months after. I can get 10 in the mags every time but I go with friends who arn't used to shooting and they can't fit all 10 in even with the speed loader. I'd recommend you take S&W up on their offer and send them your mags if you really don't think it's you. You mentioned earlier you've had good experience, so why should them asking to see the mags themselves be considered poor?

Let S&W try their hand at it, then go from there.

Good luck!

ohlone
05-07-2011, 12:35 PM
i have the same trouble with some 10 rounders, only 9 rd can be in... also one of my 10 rounders for 5906, the 10th can get in, but will have feeding issue....

normally, i only load 8 per mag.....

gorenut
05-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Might be the stupid stopper

sanjosebmx
05-07-2011, 1:19 PM
I took the magazines home during my 10 day wait I loaded, unloaded and loaded them again probably 50 times... (OCD mabye?)... anyway the day I picked up the gun it was no problem and when I ordered the extra mags, I kinda did the same thing, but maybe I'm just used to loading them (since ive done it 50 x 50 times now)...:)

bohoki
05-07-2011, 1:56 PM
just be happy with 9 because i'm betting with 10 you wont be able to lock it in with the slide forward

G60
05-07-2011, 2:19 PM
Theyll loosen up but it still won't be easy compared to a 17 round mag. They don't want even he-man squeezing an 11th round in there.

ArkinDomino
05-07-2011, 2:25 PM
Man up... :)

vincnet11
05-07-2011, 3:46 PM
Leave the 9 rounds in the mag for a week then load the last round.

Zzzake
05-07-2011, 4:16 PM
I had the exact same problem with the 3 new M&P 9 mag i bought from 44mag. I kept them loaded for a week and now I can squeeze the 10th round in. Still barely but it does go in there.

WWDHD?
05-07-2011, 4:27 PM
I use one of those lever-type loading tools and I have no trouble loading any of the three 10-round mags for my M&P 9mm. Just bought a fourth factory mag at a gun show but haven't used it yet (monday?). Strange that this affects all of your mags.

scootle
05-07-2011, 7:17 PM
How did the OP remove the spring exactly? I thought all the 10-round M&P9 mags were riveted together to prevent disassembly... or am I mistaken?

My mags (I have 6) are all very tight on the 10th round, but can be loaded with an UpLULA. However seating full mags on a closed slide is very difficult and if I'm not careful, the mag will drop out on the first shot... :(

Kodemonkey
05-07-2011, 7:30 PM
How did the OP remove the spring exactly? I thought all the 10-round M&P9 mags were riveted together to prevent disassembly... or am I mistaken?

My mags (I have 6) are all very tight on the 10th round, but can be loaded with an UpLULA. However seating full mags on a closed slide is very difficult and if I'm not careful, the mag will drop out on the first shot... :(

The new ones with the plastic floor plate will let you take it apart. It doesn't use a mag block - it just makes the floor plate longer so that it acts like a shorter mag.

And they are a pain to get 10 rounds into. I don't think you can do it without a uplula. Even that you have to out some body weight into it. Highly recommend an uplula. You can use it for multiple guns. Once the mags break in a little you may have less difficulty. But we've cycled quite a bit of ammo through my compact 40 and my wifes full size 9mm and they are still tight.

Since it is a metal mag, the feed lips can tear up thumbs. I'll say it again - get an uplula and you won't be sorry. We have 2 just so we don't fight over them at the range.

G60
05-07-2011, 7:30 PM

no, you can disassemble them.
factory limited m&p mags use a gigantic floorplate type thing to limit the capacity.
http://www.44mag.com/images/uploads/sw39500_600.jpg

Kodemonkey
05-07-2011, 7:35 PM
no, you can disassemble them.
factory limited m&p mags use a gigantic floorplate type thing to limit the capacity.
http://www.44mag.com/images/uploads/sw39500_600.jpg

Good pic- to remove the floor plate stick a small screwdriver in the button on the bottom. While you do this, simultaneously push the floor plate forward - moving in the direction the bullet would travel out of the mag. It also takes a bit of force. Make sure you are not standing over it when doing it. It will shoot out of there with some good force.

DarkLuminor
05-07-2011, 8:21 PM
My XD 9 used to be like that

I left the 10 rd in the mag for a while, now I think the spring losen up a little bit. And I use the loaded everytime, that helps too

BOFH
05-07-2011, 8:35 PM
You are extra legal.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
05-07-2011, 9:09 PM
Mine used to be like that but but after shooting a good amount I can now fit 10

carnelianbay
05-08-2011, 3:16 PM
Here are a few pictures to help clarify my OP.

1: all six mags. 2 are full size with XGrips, 2 from the load up coupon, and 2 orig (with finger extensions), and an UpLULA
2: how much space is left with the UpLULA in place with 9 rounds in. Note : UpLULA tang thickness is ~0.1"
3: the 10th rd isnít going to make it, not even close
4: spring out, 10 rds in, the bottom plate will not go on. Itís hanging up at the full left (rear) of the mag (not at the ďpush pin keeperĒ).
5: with the spring out I gain a little more room but the 10 rd will still not go in

At I wrote this I realized that I should have taken an angle shot of #4 since from the photo it looks like the plate should slip on. It doesnít because the plate that captures the spring is fully bottomed out on the left side (not on the right).

Conclusion: even without the spring itís a no-go

My approach will be to remove about 0.125Ē (1/8Ē) of material from the bottom corners of the follower and see what happens.

762.DEFENSE
05-08-2011, 3:21 PM
Might try a speed loader thing until you've broken them in.

:iagree:

ruchik
05-08-2011, 3:33 PM
Speed loader won't help at all. Compressing the spring over and over won't help either. They won't "break in", and the reason is that it's not the spring that's the problem, but rather the follower. It's got four little "legs" on the bottom. Those legs are what's preventing that 10th round to feed in smoothly. Even if you do get that 10th round in there, try pushing a fully loaded mag into the M&P with the slide closed. That follower has no more room for give, and take a serious whack to get in there. First time I tried it, the top round had a flat spot on it.

The fix is to simply take out the follower, and grind off the little legs on the bottom. Takes all of 2-3 minutes. Don't go too far, or you'll get an 11 round mag.

carnelianbay
05-08-2011, 3:42 PM
Speed loader won't help at all. Compressing the spring over and over won't help either. They won't "break in", and the reason is that it's not the spring that's the problem, but rather the follower. It's got four little "legs" on the bottom. Those legs are what's preventing that 10th round to feed in smoothly. Even if you do get that 10th round in there, try pushing a fully loaded mag into the M&P with the slide closed. That follower has no more room for give, and take a serious whack to get in there. First time I tried it, the top round had a flat spot on it.

The fix is to simply take out the follower, and grind off the little legs on the bottom. Takes all of 2-3 minutes. Don't go too far, or you'll get an 11 round mag.

+1 Check out this. Just found it:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=23471

Iíll be calling S&W tomorrow.

edrice
05-08-2011, 4:54 PM
+1 Check out this. Just found it:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=23471

Iíll be calling S&W tomorrow.

Thank You! Thank you! Thank you!

I have had this same problem and I knew it was not spring tension causing it. I'm calling them tomorrow too. This was one of things I had been putting off because of lack of time, but now that I know what it is, it will be easier.

Ed

Jack L
05-08-2011, 6:42 PM
Has anyone experienced an issue where you can only get 9 rounds in a 10 round M&P9 magazine? I now have 6 (4 M&P 9c and 2 full size) magazines that will only accept 9 rounds.

In two of the six the 10th rnd can be forced in but Iíd swear that Iím bending something.

Iíve read countless threads about how the mags have to be cycled, or to even cut the spring, but thatís definitely not the problem in my case because if I completely remove the spring I can still only get 9 rounds in. Recently I came across a thread that discussed how S&W changed the follower design in conjunction with a bright versus dull mag finish so I called S&W. Usually I have good experiences with them but this time it was different. He did acknowledge that there was an update a few years back but then he went cold. In the end he told me to send them all back and theyíll check it out, but would not admit that there was a problem or that he had ever heard about this before.

My plan is to sand off some material from the bottom 4 corners of the follower. Curious if anyone has had the same issue.

I have the M&P .45 and it's the same, only 9 rounds comfortably. I read as the spring wears a bit you can get 10. It's common and there was another thread about this same question. Many experience the same thing.

WWDHD?
05-09-2011, 2:33 PM
OP, if your still interested in anyone else having issues with 9mm M&P mags, heres another report.
I have three 10-rd mags that are a few years old. No problems. I recently bought a new 4th mag last month at a gun show. It has a satin black finish compared to the gloss of the others. I used it today for the first time. It was very hard to put in the FIRST round. after that rounds 2-9 were easy but then the 10th round was very hard but it went in. I use a HKS #941 loading tool. I noticed the grey plastic (follower?) thing that the first round pushes on is shaped slightly different than the others I have. The mag worked perfectly, no FTF or FTEs. It got a bit easier the more I used it.
In summery, I would exercise those mags some before you sent them to S&W. Like others have already said, clean and light oil and load/unload them some. That HKS tool is great by the way, it works on all my pistol mags (S&W, Ruger, Beretta). Good luck.

JayCo
05-09-2011, 2:48 PM
I have the stock 2 10 round mags for my FS MP9 and the 10th round is tuff to get in.....500 rounds later it is still tuff to load and you need to give it a good whack to get it in with the slide closed. But it has never been so hard that I thought I couldnt get the last round in. I just ordered 2 more from 44mag I will let you know how those work out.

My mags are the same ones, with the gray follower.

Jlomb436
05-18-2011, 10:15 PM
I have 6 mags total, 2 from my gun purchase in March and just bought another 4 in May. I must have put maybe 300 rounds in each and still no go. 10 IS possible, but you almost feel your bending the metal, and it feels so uncomfortable I don't even load them and go with 9. Major bummer. Update us if you talk to S & W.

stacym
05-18-2011, 11:41 PM
I have the same problem. Damn near impossible to get 10 in - I have to use the Uplula and lean into it with my body weight to squeeze the 10th round in. Even then it's not easy, and often requires shifting my weight onto it multiple times to finally get enough space to get the 10th in. Crazy!

BTW, I have 6 mags, all with grey follower, and all are equally difficult. Have close to 1000 rounds through my gun.

five.five-six
05-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Can only get 9 rounds in a 10 round M&P9 magazine .

just so long as you don't get 11 rounds in, you'll be fine :)