PDA

View Full Version : shooting AR10 from a bench

swift
05-07-2011, 9:19 AM
When shooting my AR10T from a bench, I find that the sight picture moves to the right several inches after each shot. The AR10 has a bipod. It is kept pulled in tight into my shoulder. When I shoot an AR15 with this same bipod, the sight picture moves perhaps an inch to the right after each shot. What am I doing wrong?

In case it matters, my first rifle was a target rifle designed to be shot off a front rest and a bunny ear rear bag. Perhaps I learned habits that aren't compatible with shooting a rifle from a bipod? Do you have any pointers?

The bipod is by Harris, and the distance being shot (for now) is 100 yards.

email
05-07-2011, 9:43 AM
Preload your bipod forward? It will have a larger recoil...

bjl333
05-07-2011, 9:47 AM
They do have a lot more recoil then the 15s. With a heavy 24" bull barrel mine will move quite a bit also. I don't think you can keep it on target without weighing it down more.

killshot44
05-07-2011, 11:49 AM
The added recoil is exposing a flaw in your technique.
The key is finding a hold that moves the rifle straight back into you, try changing the amount of pressure in your control hand, try using your 'free' hand to hold the forend rather than curled under the buttstock.
You should find that once it is recoiling straight back to you that your post-shot sight picture will be on the target.
Experiment and find a hold that works for you.

swift
05-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions. What does 'preload your bipod forward' mean?

I'll try adjusting my technique to make the recoil straight backwards.

LOW2000
05-07-2011, 10:13 PM
It won't recoil straight back, that is the reason many brakes are ported offset to the right to compensate for that movement of the bolt/carrier assembly.

killshot44
05-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Wow...

Two fails for the price of one.

CK_32
05-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions. What does 'preload your bipod forward' mean?

I'll try adjusting my technique to make the recoil straight backwards.

VjG1JZxiui0

And if your talking about in your scope it move to the right on paper than from prone... Thats probably because you sited in the scope for prone and when you go to bench its a different set up from your eye to scope and you will see the black.. Its common.. Sit your scope and set your scope on the rifle in the primary way your going to shoot it. Or you will have blacking in your scope...

Kzg_TgUQEzc

supertrooper
05-08-2011, 11:48 AM
you will have better results in prone and preloading your bipod.