PDA

View Full Version : hsc

metalliman545
05-07-2011, 7:38 AM
What are the requirements to obtain one? I know its 25 dollars and a simple firearms written test, but it being a ca requirement it can't be that easy.

I already own a pistol (I live in ga currently) I know about registering and fixing the mags/buying 10 rounders when I move back. Btw I own a Walther P99AS in 9mm. I gotta say 15+1 is pretty nice out here ;p. Great pistol too. Was hitting the 12x12 target with it at 100 yards with LOTS of hold over lol

Ubermcoupe
05-07-2011, 7:43 AM
Its easy; common sense really. Do a google search for a "practice" CA DOJ test and you will find exact examples of it. :)

Your current mags will need to be broken down into parts kits when you move into the state. Standard capacity mags are nice. :D

Welcome.

69Mach1
05-07-2011, 7:44 AM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php

Hopalong
05-07-2011, 7:48 AM
Although I resent having to pay the $25.00

If you can't pass the test, you probably shouldn't have a pistol.

G1500
05-07-2011, 8:17 AM
Although I resent having to pay the $25.00

If you can't pass the test, you probably shouldn't have a pistol.

Definitely agree on this one.

Also, you can miss 7 of the 30 questions. I think you should only be able to miss 1 or 2 if any.

Kanester
05-07-2011, 8:37 AM
I rented the little book for $1 the day before to study for it. Was a waste of time. If you have a functioning brain, you should pass easily (I got 100%, and could have just used common sense, no need to study.) I believe one of the questions was along the lines of

-True or False, when cleaning a firearm there is no need to check if it is loaded before you begin.

They were all pretty much this easy. If you fail this test, not only should you not be allowed to own a firearm, but you should be banished to a far away remote island where no one else can catch your level of stupid.

Kanester
05-07-2011, 8:53 AM
And by the way, I would like to think CA DOJ makes you take that test with good intentions (safety), but I couldent help thinking while I was taking it that it's just another way to squeeze an extra $25 out of people buying a handgun.

ZirconJohn
05-07-2011, 8:56 AM
In the ten years I have been in the firearms business...

4 years at a shop where we sold excess of 250 firearms a month...
and my own business... I seen two, maybe three people fail the written
test... no more than three and that might be a stretch.

Look at it this way... if you don't pass, you don't pay. The 25$ is not for the
test, the 25$ is for to get the card after you pass the test... capiche...?

So... do you really think kubafornia would make it difficult for you to pass the
test if they don't get their flapping money if you FAIL...!?! Okay... I'm getting
mad now... I'm out. :mad:

The test is really-really super easy!

MoBait
05-07-2011, 10:02 AM
also if the test wasn't easy enough for anyone to pass, the state wouldn't be getting their DROS fees every time an addict had to go back to the store to get another fix.

napalmspork
05-07-2011, 10:08 AM
NOT REQUIRED FOR MILITARY................

metalliman545
05-07-2011, 11:05 AM
When I move back to ca I won't be in the military anymore. I'm from ca left when I was 18 will be returning a few weeks before my 22nd. I'm a so cal local. I'm actually going to fix my mags instead of paying the 45 for the walther ones

So there are no 'let's see if your physically safe with a real handgun' test where the shop charges you? Just 25$ and the test.

I know I won't fail I wasn't worried about the actual test itself. Just wondering if that's all I had to do.

G1500
05-07-2011, 11:21 AM
When I move back to ca I won't be in the military anymore. I'm from ca left when I was 18 will be returning a few weeks before my 22nd. I'm a so cal local. I'm actually going to fix my mags instead of paying the 45 for the walther ones

So there are no 'let's see if your physically safe with a real handgun' test where the shop charges you? Just 25$ and the test.

I know I won't fail I wasn't worried about the actual test itself. Just wondering if that's all I had to do.

They will most likely show you a safety demo, and have you repeat the steps. This is only when purchasing a firearm.

mikaarce
05-07-2011, 11:35 AM
just common sense and you will get thru it.

MoBait
05-07-2011, 11:47 AM
They will most likely show you a safety demo, and have you repeat the steps. This is only when purchasing a handgun.

Fixed it :)

bsg
05-07-2011, 11:55 AM
in advance... welcome back to california.

jtmkinsd
05-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Only people I've ever seen fail are those to whom English is not their primary language...and they misunderstand the questions. As was stated, you don't need the card to own handguns...only when you are purchasing them. A DROS on a handgun cannot be run without an HSC number, or an exemption code for the requirement.

metalliman545
05-07-2011, 2:40 PM
in advance... welcome back to california.

Thank you. 160 days to go