PDA

View Full Version : iron sight adjustment noob

Hornet_RN
05-07-2011, 8:06 AM
quick questions:

1) elevation adjustment: if the rear sight moves up, where will my bullets land? higher or or lower? same question if i move the rear sight down.
2) windage adjustment: if i move the rear sight to the left, will bullets also move to the left, or to the right? what happens when the rear sight moves to right, where do my bullets go?

thanks,
Hornet_RN

CK_32
05-07-2011, 8:17 AM
This is common since....

Google please... Even YouTube has 10 videos on adjustments

fuenstock
05-07-2011, 8:29 AM
Adjust rear left--bullet goes left
Adjust rear right--bullet goes right

Adjust front up---bullet goes down
Adjust front down--bullet goes up

YouTube does have alot of good iron sighting videos, check those out.

Hornet_RN
05-07-2011, 8:32 AM
thanks, we can end this post now...heh

Rock6.3
05-07-2011, 8:34 AM
Easy way to remember: The rear sight is your friend, he goes the way you want to go. Want to move bullet right, move rear sight right. Want to move up, move rear sight up.

dieselpower
05-07-2011, 8:55 AM
Adjust rear left--bullet goes left
Adjust rear right--bullet goes right

Adjust front up---bullet goes down
Adjust front down--bullet goes up

YouTube does have alot of good iron sighting videos, check those out.

Easy way to remember: The rear sight is your friend, he goes the way you want to go. Want to move bullet right, move rear sight right. Want to move up, move rear sight up.

maybe you two need to sit back and talk things out with each other... When you are done please post the proper answer...hint.. both are right both are wrong.

ren
05-07-2011, 9:02 AM
This is common since....

Google please... Even YouTube has 10 videos on adjustments

maybe you should use google.

Hornet_RN
05-07-2011, 9:14 AM
maybe you two need to sit back and talk things out with each other... When you are done please post the proper answer...hint.. both are right both are wrong.

wait...so what are the CORRECT answers to my questions then? you guys are confusing a noob even more now...heh.

rsrocket1
05-07-2011, 9:22 AM
Point your index fingers on each hand and line them up like front and rear sights. Then aim at something. Move either the front hand or rear hand one way or the other to see where your point of aim moves to.

Remember, your point of aim is where your sights line up NOT where you want the bullets to land. The bullets (pretty much) go where your barrel is really pointed. Your sights are adjusted so they point where the bullets are landing.

So if your back finger moves up, your point of aim goes down. That's what you should do if your bullets are hitting low.

If you move the rear sight to the left, your point of aim goes to the right. You do this if your bullets are shooting too far to the right.

Think about it idealistically. If you put your gun in a vice, it ain't moving anywhere. You can shoot all day long and it will hit the same spot. To sight your gun in, you really want to line up your sights so that it points to where the bullets are landing. That way when you later move the gun, your point of impact will always line up with your point of aim.

That's why it's important that your loads are repeatable and your gun shoots repeatably with the correct load. You can then adjust your sights so that you can predictably place the shots where you want it. The best way for a beginner to sight in your rounds is to shoot about 5 shots while aiming at the bullseye. Then while securing the gun as much as possible, move the sights so that they now point at the center of the group of holes. You are now sighted in. Chasing around each shot is an exercise in futility unless you are just concerned with "broad side of the barn" accuracy.

IPSICK
05-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Seriously google is your friend

Iron Sight adjust for AR-15 (Trying to be nicer) (http://www.about-shooting.com/pdfs/AR-15_Target-Black.pdf)

seronian
05-07-2011, 10:57 AM
oposite day today.

front up tip barrel down
front down tip of barrel up

rear left view right
rear right view left

tujungatoes
05-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Jesus you guys are being dicks to this dude! Also IPSICK if he's not shooting an AR your link is about as useless as tits on a nun.

To the OP. Whichever way you adjust the rear sight will shift you point of impact that direction. The opposite is true for the front sight. Simple.

motorwerks
05-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Jesus you guys are being dicks to this dude! Also IPSICK if he's not shooting an AR your link is about as useless as tits on a nun.

To the OP. Whichever way you adjust the rear sight will shift you point of impact that direction. The opposite is true for the front sight. Simple.

Not exactly...... if you can apply righty-tighty, lefty-loosy then you can figure it out form there. I use that same target to remind me which way sights move. Hell I use them to zero all of my rifles.

IPSICK
05-07-2011, 5:38 PM
Sorry, I read and do research for my answers. Spoon feeding is for babies.

When I don't find it myself then I have to ask the gurus found here and elsewhere.

negolien
05-07-2011, 6:28 PM
Ya I got suspended for a week for being a jerk to someone must be nice to be special lol.

Speaking on this topic though.... I went to sac valley today and spent 4 hours chasing patterns :<(..... I had some help from a staff guy on the irons and I think finally got them close but that was only at like 15 yards. The red dot and scope lol sigh the more I chased em the farther off they got till i just gave up. I tried a 47 dollar bore sighter but the POC got stuck in my barrel took me like 20 mins to get it out and THEN IT WAS BROKEN LOL. Gonna post in local area maybe I could get a little help from someone either at Cordova or sac valley or heck your garage with a bore sighter that works?

dieselpower
05-07-2011, 6:32 PM
No one being a jerk. there is so many ways to answer this that without knowing the type of firearm, distance to target, ammo and type of sights installed on this rifle.

we assume AR15 when this is a centerfire rifle forum.

CK_32
05-07-2011, 6:38 PM

I was waitin to see if anyone would correct that...

Were not being dicks.. It will take more effort from us to type and explain than for him to type his first sentence into google and will get a better response from a written out explanation of it than from our replies... I don't think any of us feel like typing out something for 10 min he can find on google in seconds.

It's lazyness on his part. To the OP just google it... It will be easier for you and will probably find a better written out explanation of it there as well.

And next time google stuff before asking. With over 300 posts u should know better. And if you can't find it via google or it's more of a complicated personal matter then ask here. But this is a fundamental basic function of a rifle.

Not being a dick just giving you advice so you don't really get chewed up asking a easily findable question.

IPSICK
05-07-2011, 6:51 PM
I was waitin to see if anyone would correct that...

Were not being dicks.. It will take more effort from us to type and explain than for him to type his first sentence into google and will get a better response from a written out explanation of it than from our replies... I don't think any of us feel like typing out something for 10 min he can find on google in seconds.

It's lazyness on his part. To the OP just google it... It will be easier for you and will probably find a better written out explanation of it there as well.

And next time google stuff before asking. With over 300 posts u should know better. And if you can't find it via google or it's more of a complicated personal matter then ask here. But this is a fundamental basic function of a rifle.

Not being a dick just giving you advice so you don't really get chewed up asking a easily findable question.

Thank you for saying it better than I. I will admit that I am a little meaner today than usual. I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed.

negolien
05-07-2011, 7:09 PM
:<) group hug lol... Yes it's an AR-15.. I think I just get confused and think I' am changng the bullets path rather then the reticules aimpoint. Magpuls as irons atn for dot and a bushnell banner 4-12 40 on a pepr mount for the scope. sad to be 15 yards form a target with a rifle... shoot at the target and go /sigh wtf?????I tried matching the dot to the iron sights but for some resaon couldn't get it to work for me lol. Sick to though so makes an excuse for this time last time however /shrug....

tujungatoes
05-07-2011, 9:42 PM
No one being a jerk. there is so many ways to answer this that without knowing the type of firearm, distance to target, ammo and type of sights installed on this rifle.

we assume AR15 when this is a centerfire rifle forum.

Actually many of you are. And it doesn't matter what kind of rifle, distance to target, ammo, or sights he's using. When you move the sights in a given direction your point of impact will change in relation to that movement.

You are aware that the ar15 is not the only centerfire rifle in existance, right?

negolien
05-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Was thinking of going back out to sac valley tomorrow actually. They're doing IDPA and I was kinda hoping to get a look at that so might be a good time to try again :<(. 5 shots aimed at same place then a single small adjustment and wait till next change of paper for cooling right? I got small oval targets too probably should have gotten 6 12" targets. Will do this next time. I only have 40-60 rounds :eek: so hopefully will be enough lol. I need glasses too obviously since I needed a spotting scope to see the small green dot at 25 yards lol.

ThemBastards
05-07-2011, 10:47 PM
maybe you should use google.

My thoughts exactly

glock7
05-07-2011, 11:23 PM
My thoughts exactly

you know...if some of you don't want to help the op out, why even comment? i just don't get it....i thought that's what these forums were about.:eek:

chino
05-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Old trick taught to me when dirt was invented.

Point your index fringer at an object, raise your thumb up making an "L", rear sight is your thumb, index finger your front sight. As you raise your thumb you can see the change in elevation. Sight up = barrel up
Ok, now turn your hand "ghetto style shooting) same concept, thumb point left; barrel (index finger) moves left. Use different hand to see opposite effect.

dieselpower
05-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Old trick taught to me when dirt was invented.

Point your index finger at an object, raise your thumb up making an "L", rear sight is your thumb, index finger your front sight. As you raise your thumb you can see the change in elevation. Sight up = barrel up
Ok, now turn your hand "ghetto style shooting) same concept, thumb point left; barrel (index finger) moves left. Use different hand to see opposite effect.

Ok I get what you said...yes that is correct.

make that "L" again. with the other hand make the "thumbs up" sign.

place the knuckles of the thumbs up against the back of the "L".

your finger is the barrel, the thumb making the "L" is the front sight, the other thumb is the rear sight.

line both thumb nails up to a door handle or lamp across the room. see the "L" is pointed up.... now raise the back thumb independent of the "L" thumb. Line both thumb nails up again...the barrel is now at a HIGHER angle.

A bullets trajectory is like the water from a garden hose. How do you make the stream go farther? You angle it up and drop the stream of water on the target.

chino
05-08-2011, 10:24 AM
For elevation

http://pointersviewpoint.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/fing.jpg

For windage turn hand

metalliman545
05-08-2011, 12:22 PM
FRONT OPPOSITE REAR SAME. Have some of you morons never used a ladder sight? The farther you want the bullet to go the higher you raise the REAR sight.

Your bullets go low? Raise your rear sight or lower the front sight
High? Lower rear sight raise front

Now if its windage(left right) guess what. Chase the bullet with either sight

metalliman545
05-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Remember your moving the sights to where the bullet is hitting. Your NOT moving the barrel to match your sights. Chase the bullet

dieselpower
05-08-2011, 12:29 PM
For elevation

http://pointersviewpoint.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/fing.jpg

For windage turn hand

FRONT OPPOSITE REAR SAME. Have some of you morons never used a ladder sight? The farther you want the bullet to go the higher you raise the REAR sight.

Your bullets go low? Raise your rear sight or lower the front sight
High? Lower rear sight raise front

Now if its windage(left right) guess what. Chase the bullet with either sight

LOL...

negolien
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Awesome the constructive advice on this forum is Soooo helpful at times. Well lol ok so half the post are jack wagons what a shock eh lol.

I think the main point here for us nubs is to take a few shots AT THE SAME AIMPOINT..let it cool make a small adjustment and repeat. I know I personally was shooting one then trying to aim to compensate just to make sure it was not me. After a while between being sick, hot, sun burned, pissed off and embarrassed lol I ended up chasing my own tail lol. I' am sure it doesn't help when I can't even see the hits on 6" ovals at 15 yards without a spotting scope. Glasses ? ya maybe so /shrug then again maybe I' am just getting older. Ya OK so it was stupid lol so spending over a grand on something that's gonna come out of the safe once in a 6 month period lol.

MaHoTex
05-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Huh... Wonder how the responses will change when they figure out Hornet is a chick?

dieselpower
05-08-2011, 1:23 PM
Huh... Wonder how the responses will change when they figure out Hornet is a chick?

if you mean female...doesnt effect me one bit...I'm married
if your mean chicken, I love popeyes...so I will be more helpful.

The front post is used to zero your Point of aim to point of impact.

You start with the front post level with the deck of the front post base and if you have an elevation wheel (A2), then rotate it so the hood is all the way down to the mechanical stop.

fire 3-5 shots at a target 25 yards away. Wind should not be an issue this close...unless you live in Kansas or Chicago...LOL

screw the front post up if the point of impact was higher then the point of aim, and down if the point of impact was lower than the point of aim.

Now you are zero at 25 meters and the cross zero is like 375 yards.

Now all points of impact between 25 yards and 375 yards will be HIGHER than point of aim, due to the arc trajectory of a 25 meter zero. If your target is 400 yards away, rotate the elevation wheel to "4" it will RAISE the rear site and cause the arc to go higher so your shots will impact at zero.

People have a problem with the 25 yard zero due to the point of impact at 200 yards being 10" higher than that of the point of aim. Thats a problem only for hunters and paper shooters... why you ask? Because the error of your standard ammo and the error of your shooting stance and the size of your target in relationship to the aiming point of your firearm negates the 10" error at 200 yards. I can not see the error at that range..ie If my front post fits between a mans shoulder to shoulder chest area my POI will be a slight degree higher that the post...I cover his belly I hit his chest.

That brings in the 50, 75 and 100 yard zero Now you must use IBZ and alter the drum on your A2 elevation wheel for this to work. I am using a flat trajectory where from 50 to 250 yard its all the same. Its only when a target is less than 50 or more than 250 where my point of impact is less than my point of aim. I then raise the rear sight which raises the point of impact.

Just remember it looks great on paper and a chart...actually shooting something 300 yards away is all about depth perception, a steady hand, good eyesight and understanding your trajectory.

I normally use a 25 meter zero for my 4MOA dots. My dot tells me where to aim by comparing it to my target. I always place my dot UNDER where i want my lead to go. I like seeing my whole target as I pull the trigger. A few inches high isn't going to matter to me If my target is from point blank to 50 yards with a 25 yard zero...my point of impact is within 2 inches of my dot....I can live with that...my target can not...LOL

Hope this helps....
I'd like a side of coleslaw please.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
05-08-2011, 1:47 PM
Seriously google is your friend

Iron Sight adjust for AR-15 (Trying to be nicer) (http://www.about-shooting.com/pdfs/AR-15_Target-Black.pdf)

Great link. I'm going to print a few of these out at work on the 11x14 paper.

CK_32
05-08-2011, 3:05 PM

Oh god you just doomed thiS thread. Now it's going to turn into a lonely man finding a date thread. Lol

motorwerks
05-08-2011, 3:13 PM
Great link. I'm going to print a few of these out at work on the 11x14 paper.
dont print it on 11x14 its ranged for 8.5x11 or whatever normal is. :D

CK_32
05-08-2011, 3:35 PM
dont print it on 11x14 its ranged for 8.5x11 or whatever normal is. :D

Check around the net u can get these for fairly cheap. Then take it to kinkos and have them copy a large print in bulk.. Probably won't cost too much.

Make sure you get the right one I remember there is like 2 kinda of these targets one for like a m16 and another for a m4 and the squares or something is differant. And some are for differant ranges

supersonic
05-08-2011, 3:52 PM
Speaking on this topic though.... I went to sac valley today and spent 4 hours chasing patterns :<(.

How many hits did you take?:p

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
05-08-2011, 4:30 PM
Check around the net u can get these for fairly cheap. Then take it to kinkos and have them copy a large print in bulk.. Probably won't cost too much.

Make sure you get the right one I remember there is like 2 kinda of these targets one for like a m16 and another for a m4 and the squares or something is differant. And some are for differant ranges

Thanks CK, I'll check around. I get a great discount at Kinkos so I'll definitely follow your advice.

Army
05-08-2011, 5:21 PM
My $.02 :)

Do not use the rear sight for your elevation changes while zeroing. ONLY raise/lower the front sight.

BUT, do use the windage knob (the one on the left side) for traverse changes.

If you have an A2 rear sight (and really, who doesn't nowadays), the elevation drum MUST be as far down as it gets, with the "8/3" (6/3 for carbines) mark centered on that tiny groove above it. However, before you fire, move that elevation drum ONE click forward (so the flat part is angled forward). Now sight in a 25yds/m.

When you are zeroed, return the elevation drum ONE click BACK to the 8/3 mark. What this did, was introduce a fake bullet drop for 300yds/m. When you move it back, the rifle is still sighted for the REAL bullet drop at 300yds/m

The elevation drum is a bullet drop compensator, NOT an elevation adjustment. When you know you will be shooting 400yds/m, simply roll that drum to the #4, or to #5-#6-#7-#8 for 500-600-700-800yds/m, and sight on the target with no hold-over. The clicks are for 25yd/m increments in-between the marked numbers.

Out to 300yds/m, you can hold center or 6 o'clock (whichever way you use your sights) on a man-sized target and should hit within 4" of your sighted center. Click it to #4, and assume the same old sight picture and hold....bang---whack! We's havin' the funs now!

Keep in mind: Rear sight moves the same way as the bullet (right goes right, left goes left). Front sight goes the other way (move front sight left, bullet moves right. Move front sight up, bullet moves down)

Now......get an optic on that rifle mister!! :D

IW378
05-08-2011, 6:26 PM
I'll show what is what at the next standard rifle match on the 29th.
Nice answer Army. Factual and to the point:cool2:
Luke