PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about 1911s....

Markus
05-07-2011, 2:11 AM
Im starting to think about getting my first 1911. Now I am working on a budget and was looking at the RIA Tactical. Right nwo centerfire systems has the tactical model for sale for 419.99 with free shipping so after all fees and everything Id be getting the pistol for just under $500.

Is there anything else out there in that price range thats is worthwhile?

Oh and I know its not even in this price range but what are your thoughts on the Kimber Custom II i saw for sale in the turners ad for 749.99?

hawk81
05-07-2011, 2:50 AM
The kimber is a good gun. Get it.

Q619
05-07-2011, 3:18 AM
I got a good condition Springfield Mil-Spec for $430 not long ago....I'd keep my eye out for a used Springer in that price range.

Mickey D
05-07-2011, 4:34 AM
Can't go wrong with the RIA. Best gun for the money, IMO.

C.W.M.V.
05-07-2011, 4:35 AM
RIA's are great, and Id say jump on it, but last time I talked to centerfire they wouldnt sell anything with a serial number on it to CA. Has that changed?

Oh and in the $500 price range, no there really isnt a 1911 out there that beats RIA.

kelley_aj
05-07-2011, 8:52 AM
Im starting to think about getting my first 1911. Now I am working on a budget and was looking at the RIA Tactical. Right nwo centerfire systems has the tactical model for sale for 419.99 with free shipping so after all fees and everything Id be getting the pistol for just under $500.

Is there anything else out there in that price range thats is worthwhile?

Oh and I know its not even in this price range but what are your thoughts on the Kimber Custom II i saw for sale in the turners ad for 749.99?

for that price it is a steel. There are big fans and big critics of the RIA tactical. Just took mine to the range last weekend and really liked it , A LOT. Very accurate and stable, plus it has all the added features everyone upgrades their more expensive 1911s with. it is a great shooter.

Ubermcoupe
05-07-2011, 9:01 AM
I got a good condition Springfield Mil-Spec for $430 not long ago....I'd keep my eye out for a used Springer in that price range.

Im partial to this. I hear great things about the RIA tactical, and for the $$$ they seem like a great deal.

I am partial to SA because they are still relatively inexpensive and have a GREAT warranty/customer service department (not that you should need it).

Eventually you will buy them all so just start somewhere :D

carnelianbay
05-07-2011, 9:52 AM
Whatever you choose be prepard: once you have a 1911 you’ll never go back. Just like a swiss watch or a Ferrari, they’re more than just a firearm, they’re a work of art.

sanjosebmx
05-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't know if the Desert Eagle 1911 is CA compliant.. but at a retail price of $799 I don't see much downside...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=DE1911G

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/desert_eagle_1911-tfb-tm.jpg

oddjob
05-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Good friend of mine bought one in .45 acp. Very nice gun.....Now he wants a .38 Super. RIA is a very good buy. The warranty service is pretty good too from what I've read.

loose_electron
05-07-2011, 11:36 AM
they are not as common, but a 9mm 1911 is cheaper for plinking than a 45, unless you reload. My SA 1911 in 9mm seems to be a good beast.

Still trying to swap up between the trigger and quirks of 1911's vs. the Sig P226 - different techniques needed.

Markus
05-07-2011, 3:33 PM
Anybody know of a gun shop in OC that has the RIA tactical? Id like to at least hold one before buying it.

That Desert Eagle 1911 looks great but most likely wont be on our roster.

C.W.M.V.
05-07-2011, 3:38 PM
I don't know if the Desert Eagle 1911 is CA compliant.. but at a retail price of $799 I don't see much downside...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=DE1911G

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/desert_eagle_1911-tfb-tm.jpg

I dont see much of a point?:confused:

giants_fan24
05-07-2011, 3:51 PM
Thats a good deal on a RIA tactical, I would jump all over that one

corvetteguy
05-07-2011, 4:03 PM
Most of the time you could see a RIA Tac at Turners. If you can't find one PM me and if I can I'll meet you so you can check mine out! Around 3000 rounds and awesome!

Get one and shoot the hell out of it!

David

Markus
05-07-2011, 7:02 PM
Hmm sounds like a little trip to fountain valley for me.

Thanks for the offer David I may just ake you up on that.

aghauler
05-07-2011, 8:49 PM
Try Sarco $419 CA legal http://www.sarcoinc.com/gunorderinfo.htm

Cyc Wid It
05-07-2011, 8:52 PM
Try Sarco $419 CA legal http://www.sarcoinc.com/gunorderinfo.htm

You couldn't pay me to shoot one of those. I like having working fingers.

Mickey D
05-07-2011, 9:52 PM

Please explain.

Cyc Wid It
05-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Sarco makes some of the cheapest 1911 parts on the market. I wouldn't put their parts in any of my guns, so I'm definitely not going to buy a gun made entirely by them.

InGrAM
05-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Sarco makes some of the cheapest 1911 parts on the market. I wouldn't put their parts in any of my guns, so I'm definitely not going to buy a gun made entirely by them.

LOL!!!!!! this quite funny.
Have you ever fired an RIA? and Sarco does not make the RIA.

C.W.M.V.
05-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I was going to ask does Sarco even MAKE anything?

Cyc Wid It
05-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I was referring to the link I quoted, inferring that it meant a Sarco made gun. PS horribad web design.

762.DEFENSE
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Go for the Kimber. :clap:

InGrAM
05-07-2011, 11:52 PM
I was referring to the link I quoted, inferring that it meant a Sarco made gun. PS horribad web design.

There is not a link to any guns on that quote.

If you think that is a horrible web design. Try brownells.

Cyc Wid It
05-07-2011, 11:57 PM
There is not a link to any guns on that quote.

If you think that is a horrible web design. Try brownells.

What's your point? I just briefly opened the page and just assumed Sarco had made a 1911. It doesn't change the fact that their parts are terrible. I don't see why companies aren't willing to spend a little bit of money to make decent webpages. It's an insignificant cost in the grand scheme of things and makes a pretty big difference impression wise.

C.W.M.V.
05-08-2011, 12:04 AM
So you didn't look at what they had for sale, you just assumed that there was something there and now state the fact that it is bad? Not making a whole lot of sense. Where is this indisputable fact that their parts are terrible?

InGrAM
05-08-2011, 12:04 AM
What's your point? I just briefly opened the page and just assumed Sarco had made a 1911. It doesn't change the fact that their parts are terrible. I don't see why companies aren't willing to spend a little bit of money to make decent webpages. It's an insignificant cost in the grand scheme of things and makes a pretty big difference impression wise.

My point is, you posted a reply without even looking at what it was... Why? Why are you replying about a firearm you clearly have no experience with?

You also have a baseless opinion on a companies products based on their webpage....

Cyc Wid It
05-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Try Googling or looking at 1911 forums etc. You'll be hard pressed to find a lot of positive Sarco product reviews. Why do you think most single shot conversion parts are made from Sarco goods. They are the cheapest. Their parts are generally not US made, unfinished and not to spec.

*edit* regarding the OP if you're going to $750, I'd get something other than that Kimber.

C.W.M.V.
05-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Well thats all well and good, but they sell more than just parts kits. In fact no one was refering to a parts kit, you managed to just pull that out of thin air.
If you had bothered to look at the shopping link on the site you would see that what was being refered to was the price of an RIA tactical.
Hell they even have the damn RIA GI model for $359 according to the link (Which appears to be little more than a link to their shotgun news ad), and German Hi-power's. May have to look into those...

InGrAM
05-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Try Googling or looking at 1911 forums etc. You'll be hard pressed to find a lot of positive Sarco product reviews. Why do you think most single shot conversion parts are made from Sarco goods. They are the cheapest. Their parts are generally not US made, unfinished and not to spec.

*edit* regarding the OP if you're going to $750, I'd get something other than that Kimber.

Well maybe you should try reading before you post then you would not come off so uninformed.

jonzer77
05-08-2011, 1:00 AM
Kimbers are great if you like your guns to jam and send them back for work but they sure look purty :) go check 1911 forum and go to the Kimber section. They have a sticky on problems and what to do.

redrex
05-08-2011, 2:23 AM
You can't beat an RIA for the price. I'm the happy owner of one and I can't say enough about them. They have a great warranty and the customer services is spot on.

As to ordering them online, good luck. Lots of dealers seem to hate RIA becuase they are inexpensive and have very little profit margin. They would LOVE to sell you a Kimber ($$$), as such you can expect to get some grief from some dealers. Remember that since it's not PPT they can jack up the price a lot.

Did you check the Private Sales section. I'm pretty sure I just saw an RIA tactical over there.

Markus
05-08-2011, 10:10 AM
I did actually see a RIA tactical for $500 with three mags but sadly it's in IE not OC

jonzer77
05-08-2011, 11:01 AM
The only negative thing I have heard about RIA is that the mags can be hit or miss but you will be buying more anyways so thats not a big deal. Its really easy to get one for $500 OTD and for that price they are hard to beat as far as value.

aghauler
05-08-2011, 11:19 AM

Sheesh! Didn't mean to start a pi**ing contest here just trying to help out!

You were supposed to click on the "SHOP Pennsylvania Firearms" link. Sarco is a RIA Dealer and has the Tacticals for $419, which is what the initial poster was looking for, I think. I certainly didn't mean to infer to build one out of parts. I've had my ups and downs with Sarco BUT I do have 3 very nice C&R pistols from them 2 Stars and an Astra. I am choosey about what kind of business I give to Sarco. I wasn't aware they "made" any firearms though. BB

Left Coast Conservative
05-08-2011, 1:32 PM

Do you have your heart set on a new gun? While that is a good price for a Kimber Custom II, a pretty good gun I'd say, perhaps you could get a used Kimber in your price range?

jonzer77
05-08-2011, 3:50 PM
Save your money and buy quality, like a Colt.

I fixed it for you :)

C.W.M.V.
05-08-2011, 3:59 PM
I fixed it for you :)
Id agree if I didn't have a 70 series colt. The RIA is the same damn gun.

Cyc Wid It
05-08-2011, 4:14 PM

... if by same damn gun you mean different method/country of manufacture, different internals and different specs

C.W.M.V.
05-08-2011, 4:44 PM
... if by same damn gun you mean different method/country of manufacture, different internals and different specs

No, I mean same-damn-gun.
Parts are interchangeable between the two, they shoot the same (to be fair my RIA shoots a little better) and they both run flawlessly.
Thats why I like the RIA better, its simply a better value.
If it looks, walks, acts and quacks like a duck, its a duck, no? So if I can get one duck for $500 less than the other, Id be silly not to.
Unless you want to get hung up on the "But its not a forged frame!" Thats a non issue. No one is calling out the Hi powers for using cast frames (since the forged .40 cal was warping after ~3000 rounds) but for some reason when it comes to RIA's people take this as a sign of inferior manufacture. Very strange.

Q619
05-08-2011, 4:47 PM

How is it the same gun? In contrast, it's manufactured of lower quality materials using a cheaper process that results in an inferior product with a level of fitting ranging from so-so to poor. It's a 1911 that functions and has combat accuracy. It's not the worst 1911 out there but it's a far cry from a Colt.

One of my friends got one for around $400 all said and done. I broke it in with him....honestly: I was impressed you could get a 1911 the WORKED and would shoot a handspread group at 15 yards for under $400. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't impressed with the gun as a 1911....just impressed for the price range. If I were already spending that kind of money, I'd make the short leap to a Springfield. It's a better gun and is better to build on as funds become available and you learn what you would like to modify. Buy once, cry once.

Cyc Wid It
05-08-2011, 4:53 PM
The sight cuts are different on some models, the internals are different (probably the biggest differences are here)... that doesn't make it a bad gun, but to say it's the same is just wrong. If you plan on getting it modified down the line (and find a smith willing to work on a RIA), the resale value goes way down.

Q619
05-08-2011, 5:14 PM
The sight cuts are different on some models, the internals are different (probably the biggest differences are here)... that doesn't make it a bad gun, but to say it's the same is just wrong. If you plan on getting it modified down the line (and find a smith willing to work on a RIA), the resale value goes way down.

My friend was having trouble with his extractors. The first one broke and the second one wasn't holding tension very well and was problematic. I had him get a Wilson BP extractor and fitted it for him: problem solved. The CS from RIA was pretty good from what he said. Anyways, when I had it apart I noticed the ejector was mushrooming pretty bad. We'll see how long it lasts. I think he's somewhere in the ballpark of 3-4,000 rounds.

If anything, the Wilson part will make it worth more :p BP extractors are the best!

C.W.M.V.
05-08-2011, 5:28 PM
How is it the same gun? In contrast, it's manufactured of lower quality materials using a cheaper process that results in an inferior product with a level of fitting ranging from so-so to poor. It's a 1911 that functions and has combat accuracy. It's not the worst 1911 out there but it's a far cry from a Colt.

One of my friends got one for around $400 all said and done. I broke it in with him....honestly: I was impressed you could get a 1911 the WORKED and would shoot a handspread group at 15 yards for under $400. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't impressed with the gun as a 1911....just impressed for the price range. If I were already spending that kind of money, I'd make the short leap to a Springfield. It's a better gun and is better to build on as funds become available and you learn what you would like to modify. Buy once, cry once.

Do you really think that a Colt 70 is any more accurate than an RIA? Ive never shot a GI colt (mine included) that you could call a tack driver, unless you start talking about the accurized models which isn't a fair comparison as the RIA guns are reproductions of the issued 1911. When you compare an RIA GI to a Colt 70 GI they are similarly accurate (my RIA always shots better), have the same level of finish (Unless your talking about the actual finish on the gun, Colt shiny RIA parked) uses the same parts and works the same.
EDIT: Are you talking tool marks? Macht nichts!
As to "inferior" materials...? You can cry one is better than the other but when the difference is between one lasting two lifetimes and the other lasting 1.5 lifetimes then its a moot point, you wont be around to see either fail. Id pose the question again do you believe that the frames used in Hi powers are inferior now that they all use cast frames?
And why would you buy a pistol that you need to modify? The 1911 was about perfect the way JMB designed it, and right now the best representations of that are Colt and RIA. Functional working guns, not super duper take the gnats off a dogs *** at 50 yards target gun, but one that will kill a man at close range, as they were intended.

So how many do either of you own?
I only ask because the first thing I did when I brought my RIA home was compare it to my 70 series. Same gun, same parts, same sights, same everything. Swapping slides, frames and small parts is a breeze.
So again, as someone who owns both models, I say my Colt 70 and RIA GI are for all intents and purposes the same gun.

jonzer77
05-08-2011, 6:01 PM

Ding ding ding! You have just been awarded the dumbest post of the year!! Congratulations :)

InGrAM
05-08-2011, 6:09 PM
Ding ding ding! You have just been awarded the dumbest post of the year!! Congratulations :)

DING DING DING! do you own a true 70's series colt?

All the parts are interchangeable between the RIA and colt. It is about the same quality as well. Finish is negligible along with internal parts.

Sorry guys.

Sunday
05-08-2011, 6:12 PM
DING DING DING! do you own a true 70's series colt?

All the parts are interchangeable between the RIA and colt. It is about the same quality as well. Finish is negligible along with internal parts.

Sorry guys. Do the original Colt 70 seris have MIM parts

InGrAM
05-08-2011, 6:12 PM

Yes the sights are cut different. But All the parts are interchangeable. (at least in my case with my colt and RIA.)

You did not even know what an RIA was earlier in this thread. You thought SARCO made the RIA.........

InGrAM
05-08-2011, 6:13 PM
Do the original Colt 70 seris have MIM parts

LOL MIM parts are still quality parts. Sigs 1911 series use MIM parts now and they are fantastic guns.

Pryde
05-08-2011, 6:15 PM
Do the original Colt 70 seris have MIM parts

The Colts will only have I believe 2-3 MIM parts which is probably the best of any production gun out there.

mod1217
05-08-2011, 6:16 PM
In my opinion, the best starter 1911 is the RIA 1911 GI model. Here are my reasons for saying this

First Its one of the easiest gun to customize. You can find literally find hundreds of customization options with this guns, actually me and my friends call it the AR of handguns. For me I use it as a training tool for learning how to customize my other more expensive 1911

Second Its Cheap. For me i rather mess up a $445 firearm than try stuff on my Kimber, SA or Para and mess those up, and beside the RIA parts are so easy to come by as long as you don't mess up the frame your always gonna have your beloved 1911 back into service.

That's why for me if your going to go down the 1911 road the best place to start is with RIA and just work yourself up cause I'm sure, after you got a taste of how fun having a 1911 around you would be hook into it. Just look around most of the people who respond to your post have more than one 1911 :rofl2:

C.W.M.V.
05-08-2011, 6:18 PM

:rolleyes:

jonzer77
05-08-2011, 6:18 PM
Same quality? What have you been smoking buddy? Go talk to any gunsmith and ask him if the quality is the same.

InGrAM
05-08-2011, 6:21 PM
Same quality? What have you been smoking buddy? Go talk to any gunsmith and ask him if the quality is the same.

Aren't you just the cutest thing ever :D

and I said "about" the same quality.

jonzer77
05-08-2011, 7:25 PM
They aren't about the same quality either :)

Cyc Wid It
05-08-2011, 7:32 PM
Yes the sights are cut different. But All the parts are interchangeable. (at least in my case with my colt and RIA.)

You did not even know what an RIA was earlier in this thread. You thought SARCO made the RIA.........

I've always known what an RIA is... I just didn't bother following the link and thought Sarco made a 1911, not RIA's. How can I not know what an RIA is with a thread about RIA's showing up here every day. You didn't even know that Sarco makes garbage parts? See what I did there?

Just because they all have the same parts does not mean they are of the same quality. In other related news, all 1911's have a barrel, a MSH, a trigger, etc.

Fishslayer
05-08-2011, 7:37 PM
I already own a RIA Tactical. At $500 OTD I would jump at another in a heartbeat.

...then I wouldn't have to compete with the wife for trigger time...;)

InGrAM
05-08-2011, 7:46 PM
I've always known what an RIA is... I just didn't bother following the link and thought Sarco made a 1911, not RIA's. How can I not know what an RIA is with a thread about RIA's showing up here every day. You didn't even know that Sarco makes garbage parts? See what I did there?

Just because they all have the same parts does not mean they are of the same quality. In other related news, all 1911's have a barrel, a MSH, a trigger, etc.

BS. The first 5 or 6 posts after the OP where about RIA's, Then you come in and say that sarco makes garbage guns (meaning the RIA) Either you cant read or you choose not to. Sarco does not make firearms.

Sarco also sells parts for other companies. They do not just sell their own parts. (bet you did not know that did you) see what I just did there?

Cyc Wid It
05-08-2011, 7:48 PM
What's so hard to understand... the link was to Sarco guns, and the OP was asking about 1911's. THERE ARE 3 RIA LINKS ON EVERY PAGE OF THE CALGUNS CALIFORNIA HANDGUN SECTION. Forget it I'm out this thread, sorry for the derail OP. Moral of the story, if you want to buy a beater gun buy your RIA and be done with it.

tommyid1
05-08-2011, 9:22 PM
I like my springfield so far

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

707electrician
05-08-2011, 9:32 PM
Im sure an RIA would do just fine and if it wasn't reliable enough out of the box Im sure it would be easy to make it reliable since all the parts are interchangeable

redcliff
05-08-2011, 9:43 PM
The Colts will only have I believe 2-3 MIM parts which is probably the best of any production gun out there.

Actually an original Series 70 has zero MIM parts. Metal injected molding wasn't really widely adopted until the 80's and wasn't seen much in pistol parts till the 90's.

redcliff
05-08-2011, 10:03 PM

Parts being interchangeable does not mean they fit properly, are heat treated properly, or are made of the same steel alloy. I've seen more than one post showing mushrooming ejectors on RIA's, and seen numerous improperly fit slide stops on RIA's, and RIA extractors that have broken or not held tension....just saying.

I actually like RIA and think they're a very good value for the price, and most people are very happy with them. RIA seems to stand behind their product well and takes care of the occasional problem child. I think the RIA Tactical is a good buy and comes with the features most 1911 shooters want for an attractive price.

BTW, I know for a fact Cyc Wid It knows precisely where and who makes RIA pistols; I've had many PM's with him in the past about various 1911's. I think the Sarco link that was posted having nothing to do with advertising any 1911's and Cyc not wanting to bother searching their site (I don't blame him) led to the confusion. And I agree with him that Sarco spare parts for 1911's are typicially sub-par. When I need spare parts for my 1911's I go with brands like Wilson BP, Ed Brown, and Cylinder and Slide.

Markus
05-08-2011, 11:22 PM
I think we might be getting a little side tracked here so let's try and get back on topic.

So if I get this 1911 is there anything else you might recommend that I get? I reload so some dies would be good. Maybe more mags? Just some things that you think a new 1911 owner might need....

InGrAM
05-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Parts being interchangeable does not mean they fit properly, are heat treated properly, or are made of the same steel alloy. I've seen more than one post showing mushrooming ejectors on RIA's, and seen numerous improperly fit slide stops on RIA's, and RIA extractors that have broken or not held tension....just saying.

I actually like RIA and think they're a very good value for the price, and most people are very happy with them. RIA seems to stand behind their product well and takes care of the occasional problem child. I think the RIA Tactical is a good buy and comes with the features most 1911 shooters want for an attractive price.

BTW, I know for a fact Cyc Wid It knows precisely where and who makes RIA pistols; I've had many PM's with him in the past about various 1911's. I think the Sarco link that was posted having nothing to do with advertising any 1911's and Cyc not wanting to bother searching their site (I don't blame him) led to the confusion. And I agree with him that Sarco spare parts for 1911's are typicially sub-par. When I need spare parts for my 1911's I go with brands like Wilson BP, Ed Brown, and Cylinder and Slide.

Very true. Thanks for pointing that out.

Well cyc wid's posts are representing him poorly then.

Also buy assuming everything that sarco sells is garbage, he is saying that parts that they sell for other companies are garbage as well, Like RIA barrels.

The way he posted his response to the sarco post made it sound like he was basing sarcos products and products they sell for other companies on the lay out of their webpage.

But all is good. You are vouching for him. (no sarcasm)

redrex
05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Im starting to think about getting my first 1911. Now I am working on a budget and was looking at the RIA Tactical.

As you can see in this thread you will get a lot of this when talking RIA. If you are still interested in one I'd go over to ... http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

There you will find several thousand RIA owners who know what they are talking about and I'd say about 99% love their guns.

Kimber, Colt and other such owners? You are going to be hard pressed to find someone who just spent $1k+ on a gun who will then turn around and tell you that you can spend half that much and get the same results. Ask the guy who just dropped $100k on a Mercedes what he thinks about the $35k Hyundai and he will laugh at you even though that same Hyundai is killing the Merc in test after test.

As to gunsmiths? I've heard lots that say RIAs are cheap crap, then just as many who say that's horse hockey.

If you are worried about image, or looks or what some people will think, then save up and spend a G on a Kimber/Colt/etc. Me? I did all the research and I went ahead and spent a thousand bucks plus, but I didn't get the Kimber.

I got:
$400 RIA 1911
$300 Bersa Thunder 380
$110 Mosin Nagant 91/30
$100 Marlin 982 M2
$250 Mossberg 500 combo

Ok, s

evil tyler durden
05-09-2011, 2:12 AM
So you didn't look at what they had for sale, you just assumed that there was something there and now state the fact that it is bad? Not making a whole lot of sense. Where is this indisputable fact that their parts are terrible?

I believe what he was referring to was the simple fact that they will not be carrying any firearms or ammunition at one of their 2 locations. I'm confused because if your "expanding" by adding a "location", wouldn't you need to have goods at said locations for customers to check out? Or are they running a "cell phone" scheme. Wherein they are like an "Authorized Dealer". They only carry non-working mock up versions of their real products.

I also agree on the web page comment placed earlier in the thread. If you refuse to spend money for a better page, you give a bad impression of your company, in a bad "Draconian" way. I have nothing to say about their products as I have never used any of their stuff, but you have to entitle that the man is allowed his opinion which is a 1A Right.

C.W.M.V.
05-09-2011, 2:23 AM
I agree the site is worse now than it was before. And I dont understand the point of having a gun store that has no guns or ammo.

Mickey D
05-09-2011, 6:45 PM
First off, I think the maturity level on this site leaves a lot to be desired.

back on topic.

I just picked up this Tactical this afternoon. No chance to shoot yet.

I have 5 Colt 1911 platform semi-autos and was looking for a low cost reliable gun for camping/fishing/truck/whatever fun gun to haul around, without the worry of it getting a little beat up.

There seems to be more positive threads and posts about this inexpensive gun, so I'm giving it a go.
From what I can see during the initial field strip, clean and inspection, the fit and finish of the parts look impressive to me.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/RIALH.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/RIAMuzzle.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/RIARH.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/RIAGS.jpg

Fishslayer
05-09-2011, 6:50 PM
I think we might be getting a little side tracked here so let's try and get back on topic.

So if I get this 1911 is there anything else you might recommend that I get? I reload so some dies would be good. Maybe more mags? Just some things that you think a new 1911 owner might need....

How are you set for brass? I bought used brass when I was starting out. Now I've generated/scrounged a fairly plentiful supply. I use Lee carbide dies, the four die set with Factory Crimp Die.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

More mags is always a good idea. Zombies travel in groups... ;)

redrex
05-09-2011, 7:10 PM

I held off for a while but I finally broke down and got a bushing wrench.
http://www.brownells.com/1/1/1326-1911-auto-anodized-bushing-wrench-anodized-bushing-wrench-brownells.html

advocatusdiaboli
05-09-2011, 7:14 PM
People (myself included) love the 1911. It is classic pistol—probably the iconic pistol perhaps forever. I've fired one in defense when I carried a Colt in the military and it was a reliable side arm through thick and thin.A workhorse and a reliable friend. I separated from service and never had one again.

I have mostly Sigs now and the odd Glock or other. I keep thinking about reuniting with my old friend but ammunition costs are prohibitive given all the other calibers (22, 223, 756, 40, 12 ga, 20 ga, etc.) I have to stock. I don't reload—yet.

And nice ones cost more than a decent hunting rifle now. It's a nice hobby—but don't kid yourself, you can do better if value matters—9mm, 40 are cheaper with just a good a pistol at way better prices. However, if money is no object, go for it—it is a fine pistol when "tricked out" (maybe the best there is) and the caliber is a slice of history that 40 and 9 have yet to claim—if ever they will (I doubt it).

Damn, crud, now I am wanting one now. I really, really, really hate you guys. Actually, my wife hates you not me ;-)

Easy2putt
05-12-2011, 8:44 PM
Anybody know of a gun shop in OC that has the RIA tactical? Id like to at least hold one before buying it.

That Desert Eagle 1911 looks great but most likely wont be on our roster.

..are you saying that this 1911 is not legal in CA? (sorry if this is a dumb ?..and I am so ready to jump on this 1911)