PDA

View Full Version : Weird bore

jumbopanda
11-28-2006, 1:33 PM
If I look down the muzzle end of my .22 AR barrel, I can see a small section where the rifling seems to be much thinner than the rest of the barrel. In fact, I can also feel a "step" when I move a patch through it.

If you sliced the barrel lengthwise, you'd get this:

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5116/borerv4.png

Should I be concerned?

ocabj
11-28-2006, 1:37 PM
Does it coincide with the gas port?

bwiese
11-28-2006, 1:41 PM
The gas port should only occupy a limited area - a small hole.

There should not be any 'ring' around the bore at the gas port position, as your diagram would indicate.

Your diagram would indicate a break in rifling, a real no-no. Is it accumulating debris? Could be dangerous.

Are you sure you're seeing what you think you're seeing? Got a borescope?

Try to take a plastic stick thingy and cross the boundaries you think exist and see if they run around the whole bore, or are just at the gas port area (i.e, kinda-sorta on one side).

jumbopanda
11-28-2006, 1:44 PM
It's a .22, it has no gas port. Yes I am very sure of what I am seeing. I can feel the bump when I clean it!

ivanimal
11-28-2006, 1:45 PM
Are you sure there is no bulge in the barrel? This is a classic sign of a bulged barrel. You can see it by looking straight down the edge of the barrel or by feel.

Obilgatory; MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADED! post.

jumbopanda
11-28-2006, 1:45 PM
Its not a bulge.

ARRRR-15
11-28-2006, 1:57 PM
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer.? I'm sure they can inform you if it is normal or not. You may even get a new barrel out of the deal.

jumbopanda
11-28-2006, 2:01 PM
I actually had to send it back for repairs because the free float handguard tube was touching the front sight post. They sent me an email today saying that they fixed it and shipped it back to me, but made no mention of the note I attached, concerning the odd bore. :( :confused:

Aluisious
11-28-2006, 2:13 PM
I imagine whatever it is, it will kill your accuracy as the bullet contacts the rifling on the other side, especially if it builds up gunk.

jumbopanda
11-29-2006, 3:04 PM
Well I just found out that the barrel has been "ringed", which means that it was fired while something was stuck in the barrel (most likely a jammed bullet) which caused excessive pressure and made it swell a bit. The guys at Compass Lake said they test fired some groups with it and it turned out okay though.

Now that I think about it, I know when this might have happened. One of my shots kind of blew out and lightly grazed my hand with some tiny shrapnel/powder fragments. This is most likely when the bullet got stuck, but I didn't notice, cleared the casing, and kept firing.

cornholio1
11-29-2006, 3:14 PM
Well I just found out that the barrel has been "ringed", which means that it was fired while something was stuck in the barrel (most likely a jammed bullet) which caused excessive pressure and made it swell a bit. The guys at Compass Lake said they test fired some groups with it and it turned out okay though.

Now that I think about it, I know when this might have happened. One of my shots kind of blew out and lightly grazed my hand with some tiny shrapnel/powder fragments. This is most likely when the bullet got stuck, but I didn't notice, cleared the casing, and kept firing.

Your lucky its just a 22.