PDA

View Full Version : officer standing guard for a construction job?

lazyworm
05-06-2011, 9:08 PM
In SF financial district, there is a street corner that is under
construction the last few days. Every time I walked by,
I see a uniformed SFPD officer standing guard.

The construction is at one of the corners, not within the intersection
and doesn't block the traffic flow much.

There are many road constructions all over SF, I've never seen
any having an officer doing guard duty, aside the occasional
traffic control.

Just curious if this is common? Wonder what he's guarding?
It's got to be expensive to have a dedicated officer standing
there hours day after day? :confused:

WokMaster1
05-06-2011, 9:31 PM
Very common. SOMA around 1st St & Fremont where the old Transbay terminal, lots of them there when the utility crews are digging everything up.

And also along California financial district where they are redoing the cable car lines. Their main duty is traffic control.

pieeater
05-06-2011, 9:40 PM
My friend does underground construction and some times need CHP for road shutdowns, I believe he told me he has to pay for them .

9mmepiphany
05-06-2011, 9:45 PM
Last I heard, CHP officers get overtime when officers do that on their off-time.

Other officers get paid whatever their contract calls for...usually their normal rate before incentives

psango
05-06-2011, 9:47 PM
could be San Francisco Patrol Special Police

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrol_Special_police

lazyworm
05-06-2011, 9:49 PM
Very common. SOMA around 1st St & Fremont where the old Transbay terminal, lots of them there when the utility crews are digging everything up.

And also along California financial district where they are redoing the cable car lines. Their main duty is traffic control.

Thanks. Basically the whole California street in FiDi has been under
construction for the last few months. This is the only corner they have an
officer standing guard. It doesn't look like he was there for traffic control.
Hence my curiosity on what's so special about this particular street corner.

To be exact, it's California and Davis.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=california+and+davis,+san+francisco,+ca&aq=&sll=37.794042,-122.398784&sspn=0.003281,0.006947&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=California+St+%26+Davis+St,+San+Francisco,+C alifornia+94111&ll=37.793379,-122.397448&spn=0.00082,0.001737&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=37.793509,-122.397608&panoid=jeiQuxJznwg0p_r8Iwvn1w&cbp=12,303.56,,0,-0.35

lazyworm
05-06-2011, 9:52 PM
could be S.F.P.D. Special

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrol_Special_police

I'll pay closer attention to the patch next time, but I don't think
it was the Patrol Special as there is a normal SFPD black&white
parked nearby.

Notorious
05-07-2011, 8:32 AM
It happens... not sure how San Fran works it out but here in LA, when there are movies or other details, they hire LAPD coppers in full uniform to help guard their setups and do traffic control. Those guys look so bored but they are making good money.

crashbubba
05-07-2011, 9:46 AM
Previously answered....it's for traffic control. Sometimes it's intermitent (ie - construction truck pulling into or leaving site blocks a lane or two, or manhole needs to be accessed). There's codes that mandate an officer for particular streets or areas in the City, or for particular kinds of work. Contractor pays the City for officer costs.

msteel
05-07-2011, 2:27 PM
Doesn't really come as a surprise to me. I work for a construction company here in SoCal. While its not very common to have the sites we work on guarded it is pretty common to have supplies stolen on a regular basis. Its gotten especially worse since the economy has went to pot. I imagine we will start seeing more of more construction sites with some kind of security in place.

tom2
05-07-2011, 5:04 PM
It is a SFPD officer on the 10B program (overtime)..

what crashbubba said too...

vintagearms
05-07-2011, 5:13 PM
Doesn't really come as a surprise to me. I work for a construction company here in SoCal. While its not very common to have the sites we work on guarded it is pretty common to have supplies stolen on a regular basis. Its gotten especially worse since the economy has went to pot. I imagine we will start seeing more of more construction sites with some kind of security in place.

Yup, plenty to steal- copper from wires and tubing, tools, equipment, etc.

CJfever
05-08-2011, 12:03 AM
they are reserve police officers.

cowboykenny
05-16-2011, 3:10 AM
Lots of Construction site burgs tools equipment supplies over the last few months. Must be part of OBamacare. LOL

OnTheTrail
05-17-2011, 9:31 AM
I worked at the ICE offices a few years ago. Its near the Transamerica Pyramid. When we would be in the dock unloading material a bus would pull up and unload a bus full of illegal immigrants.

The floor beneath our jobsite was a firing range. After a few hours of hearing pops. I asked the super if those were gunshots. He confirmed and said we were working on a trainig area.

IlDuche
05-30-2011, 1:54 PM
They are not reserves, Patrol Specials, security, etc.

It's the 10-B program. Company hires SFPD officers as contract security as a specific rate. Part of the cost goes to the City, the rest is paid to the officer at the standard OT rate.

Happens a lot with construction downtown due to traffic, and whenever PG&E has contracts to fix power lines in "economically depressed areas."