PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use an Ultrasonic cleaner?

mrkurtz
05-06-2011, 9:06 PM
They were throwing away an ultrasonic cleaner at work the other day. It still worked, so I brought it home. I figured I could drop slides in there for a good cleaning without a complete tear down. Is this OK for the slide or frame? What do you put in the bath? Should anything be placed on the bottom of the steel pan? Thanks

fennecfrank
05-06-2011, 9:12 PM
I've always wanted to get one to clean my handguns and shotgun actions but never bought one, yet.

Yes, you can use it for handguns. There are quite a few places sell it, including Brownells.

There are special solutions for the bath. That's all I know.

Peter.Steele
05-06-2011, 9:25 PM
I use this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html). Works great, but the duty cycle sucks. You can only run it for eight minutes at a time, and basically should let it sit for 5 minutes at least between cycles. It's pretty big, though... you can put a whole AR-15 lower, minus buffer tube and grip, into it. I use it with my Mosins, even - put the whole receiver in there, find something to balance the end of the barrel, and let 'er rip.

Duty cycle sucks, BUT it's cheap, it cleans, and cleans VERY well. I usually use just Simple Green and water in it.

707electrician
05-06-2011, 9:33 PM
I was figuring on getting one for cleaning my brass

EscalonShooter
05-06-2011, 11:02 PM
I use an ultrasonic for a periodic "deep cleaning" of my handguns. Works great. Makes sure you use some kind of suspended basket. You do not want to ever put parts directly on the bottom of the cleaner as it will ruin the transducers. If you put your slide in for an extended period of time you may find yourself repainting your aiming dots. I use Eds Red for the cleaning solution followed by a 3 minute bath in an ultrasonic lubricant. It will clean in spots of your gun that you can't reach with a brush.....

fonzy
05-07-2011, 7:38 AM
We used to use one clean aircraft engine parts in the military. When it was time for inspection we would break down and throw it in. We would just use water (hot) it was hard to get any cleaning solution.

I have heard of folks throwing their guns in the dishwasher.

Frank O
05-27-2011, 1:37 PM
1. Need to use OmegaBlue at >130F and this will clean the oils without removing the bluing (you have to really be careful which soap you use!).
2. Rinse soap with water then air wash.
3. Dip the gun in ultrasonic with Omega Rust Protectant
4. Air wash
5. Oil mechanism
6. Reassemble

Hope that helps!

Frank O

Freq18Hz
05-27-2011, 1:44 PM
I saw some guy who had ultrasonic cleaned his p226, took all the nitron off the slide and frame, bare shiny metal.

Proceed with caution.

-Freq

Sanderhawk
05-27-2011, 2:09 PM
I clean my guns well after each trip to the range but this sounds a little extreme.

jessegpresley
05-27-2011, 2:09 PM
I have an L&R Ultrasonic (http://www.lrultrasonics.com/hcs200orders/). They make ultrasonic cleaners just for weapons. Probably not much of a difference between ultrasonic cleaners, apart from quality of materials and where they're made. L&R's are high quality, made in the US.

Don't expect to drop a filthy gun in and get a sparkly clean one out. But it certainly helps get the gunk out of the nooks and crannies that are difficult to reach. I use it as an occasional deep cleaner. I'm happy with my purchase. I think I found it for $300.

Henry47
05-27-2011, 2:10 PM
I saw some guy who had ultrasonic cleaned his p226, took all the nitron off the slide and frame, bare shiny metal.

Proceed with caution.

-Freq

i don't see how this is possible.

I work with an ultrasonic every single day and have never heard of one being so strong it takes off finishes.

jessegpresley
05-27-2011, 2:14 PM
i don't see how this is possible.

I work with an ultrasonic every single day and have never heard of one being so strong it takes off finishes.

They've been known to bubble nickel plate, but to completely remove Nitron is a stretch...

bigkahuna04
05-27-2011, 2:21 PM
you can test the ultrasonic transducer efficiency by placing stip of aluminum foil in the basket of the ultrasonic cleaner, or find some way to suspend it in the solution. If the transducers are still working correctly, you should begin to see pinholes in the aluminum foil within 5-7 minutes or so.

I would be hesitant to try to clean any aluminum alloy metal frames/slides in an ultrasonic. But steel guns should be good to go.

ron1950
05-27-2011, 4:18 PM
I have an L&R Ultrasonic (http://www.lrultrasonics.com/hcs200orders/). They make ultrasonic cleaners just for weapons. Probably not much of a difference between ultrasonic cleaners, apart from quality of materials and where they're made. L&R's are high quality, made in the US.

Don't expect to drop a filthy gun in and get a sparkly clean one out. But it certainly helps get the gunk out of the nooks and crannies that are difficult to reach. I use it as an occasional deep cleaner. I'm happy with my purchase. I think I found it for $300.

I could only find it for the MSRP of $423. Any idea where it would be less money?

Thanks

jessegpresley
05-27-2011, 4:59 PM
I could only find it for the MSRP of $423. Any idea where it would be less money?

Thanks

Sorry, I can't remember where I bought it. Just Googled around and found a site. Here it is for $359 but I bet if you looked around you could find better.

http://www.cmpdist.com/store/public/product.php?productid=135

Munk
05-27-2011, 10:02 PM
My understanding was that it's only dangerous to the finish if you use the wrong solvent?

Maybe find the solvents that are made for guns, and call up their MFGr and see if they have any issues with the alloy/finish you have.