PDA

View Full Version : affordable alternative to s&w?

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 7:50 PM
I have been entertaining the idea of purchasing a stainless steel .44 mag revolver for awhile now, having specific interest in the s&w 629, however, they are rather expensive. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any other revolvers which are just as high quality as the s&w, but with a more affordable price tag

NapaCountyShooter
05-06-2011, 7:55 PM
Ruger Redhawk/Super Redhawk

/Thread

jdg30
05-06-2011, 8:04 PM
I would recommend a Ruger. I have a SP101 and GP100 and they are great guns. They aren't quite as refined as a S&W out of the box but if you work on them a bit they can be made very nice. They are very well made and cost a reasonable price. My favorite gun is my SP101. I've shot thousands of rounds through it and it has never given me a single problem. I haven't gotten into .44 mag revolvers yet but I know you can't go wrong with a Ruger. They're all basically the same construction in different calibers.

If it were me personally, I would rather have a S&W 629, but either the S&W or Ruger would serve you fine.

davek8s
05-06-2011, 8:07 PM
I own 4 s&w revolvers. In my opinion, nothing compares to a smith. I have shot my friends Ruger sp101 in 357 and i rented a tarus once. Both quality fire arms, but not a nice as a smith

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 8:10 PM
I would recommend a Ruger. I have a SP101 and GP100 and they are great guns. They aren't quite as refined as a S&W out of the box but if you work on them a bit they can be made very nice. They are very well made and cost a reasonable price. My favorite gun is my SP101. I've shot thousands of rounds through it and it has never given me a single problem. I haven't gotten into .44 mag revolvers yet but I know you can't go wrong with a Ruger. They're all basically the same construction in different calibers.

If it were me personally, I would rather have a S&W 629, but either the S&W or Ruger would serve you fine.

im glad to hear that about rugers, because in the past ive heard people say that ruger pistols werent always 100% reliable,although, its possible that was implied about their semi autos. its hard to say because i havent had much experience with them.

but that s&w 629 is incredibly appealing. it would be really cool to get a colt anaconda, but i doubt id find one in my price range

kayaker
05-06-2011, 8:13 PM
Ruger revolvers are good, reliable guns. They are a tad heavier than comparable Smiths. I'd pass on a Taurus.

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 8:13 PM
its possible, maybe even more than likely il just go with the 629. any firearm i buy will be a fair amount of money. i might as well buy what i really want rather than get something cheaper

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 8:15 PM
Ruger revolvers are good, reliable guns. They are a tad heavier than comparable Smiths. I'd pass on a Taurus.

yea i agree. ive heard a substantial amount of negative comments about taurus firearms

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 8:16 PM
now this, is absolutely beautiful. stainless with a 5" barrel. absolutely perfect

http://guns4u.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/163636_large.jpg

NapaCountyShooter
05-06-2011, 8:33 PM
im glad to hear that about rugers, because in the past ive heard people say that ruger pistols werent always 100% reliable,although, its possible that was implied about their semi autos. its hard to say because i havent had much experience with them.

but that s&w 629 is incredibly appealing. it would be really cool to get a colt anaconda, but i doubt id find one in my price range
Ruger revolvers are built like a brick you know what house. You can blast away with them with max power loads all day long every day and you won't hurt them. If you want a nice, refined revolver, get the Smith. If you want a quality, utilitarian revolver that you'll never have to send back to get retimed after those thermonuclear handloads you made, get the Ruger.

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 8:47 PM
Ruger revolvers are built like a brick you know what house. You can blast away with them with max power loads all day long every day and you won't hurt them. If you want a nice, refined revolver, get the Smith. If you want a quality, utilitarian revolver that you'll never have to send back to get retimed after those thermonuclear handloads you made, get the Ruger.

geez, really? thats awesome. im just curious though, how do the s&w revolvers hold up? the timing issue is what discouraged me from buying any revolver in the past.

bsg
05-06-2011, 8:48 PM
its possible, maybe even more than likely il just go with the 629. any firearm i buy will be a fair amount of money. i might as well buy what i really want rather than get something cheaper

get the one you want and don't look back.

PutTogether
05-06-2011, 8:52 PM

This. If you look at the grand scheme of cost of ownership/use of a firearm....the cost of the actual gun is minimal. If you own a .44 for thirty years (which should be easy with a good one) you'll end up shooting thousands and thousands of dollars worth of ammo, spending hundreds of dollars on gas to go shooting, potentially a lot of money hunting with it, etc etc etc.

Spending the extra few hundred to get the gun you really want is only a fraction of the grand total.

I like this one: (out of the lineup of new guns) with that 5" full underlug 629 you showed a picture of as a very very close second.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/150254_01_md.jpg

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 8:54 PM
get the one you want and don't look back.

yea, thats what il end up doing. i am leaning towards the s&w. but i really like the idea of having a revolver that wont come out of alignment, even after i put thousands of rounds through it. id assume that s&w is just as reliable, but i need to find out more on the issue.

i really dont like the idea of needing to get my pistol serviced on a regular basis. i think im too used to the reliability of my glocks.

PutTogether
05-06-2011, 8:57 PM
i really dont like the idea of needing to get my pistol serviced on a regular basis. i think im too used to the reliability of my glocks.

It is very, very, likely that 'regular basis' will equate to either never, or once, over the lifetime of that gun.

Unless you are constantly blasting away hard core .44 mag loads, I don't think you'll run into an issue. Losing timing on an S&W .44 is one of those things you read about a lot on the internet, but very VERY rarely encounter someone in real life who has had the same issue.

pyromensch
05-06-2011, 8:59 PM
personally, i have own two 629's, one was a 6", and the other was a 6" classic hunter. had numerous problems, with the first, (sent it to the repair shop twice), and the sold it, bought the classic hunter, because i thought the higher price, would fix things....didn't.
since they stopped pinning the barrel, both of these revolvers, had the barrel canting to the right. gave the last one to a friend, and bought a ruger vaquero. much happier now.
just for the record, i own a mdl 28, 6", that is one of my sweetest shooters... i am not an S&W hater, just their 629 line

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 9:01 PM
It is very, very, likely that 'regular basis' will equate to either never, or once, over the lifetime of that gun.

Unless you are constantly blasting away hard core .44 mag loads, I don't think you'll run into an issue. Losing timing on an S&W .44 is one of those things you read about a lot on the internet, but very VERY rarely encounter someone in real life who has had the same issue.

thats great to hear, because i really didnt know what to expect with it. getting it serviced once or twice would be fine. its likely i wont even put that many rounds through it anyway. that caliber could get to be expensive, so my g19 would likely get more range time. until i get into reloading. but once that happens, il have to get a 50 mag revolver too

pyromensch
05-06-2011, 9:01 PM
now this, is absolutely beautiful. stainless with a 5" barrel. absolutely perfect

until the barrel starts turning on you. go ruger, or something else

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 9:03 PM
personally, i have own two 629's, one was a 6", and the other was a 6" classic hunter. had numerous problems, with the first, (sent it to the repair shop twice), and the sold it, bought the classic hunter, because i thought the higher price, would fix things....didn't.
since they stopped pinning the barrel, both of these revolvers, had the barrel canting to the right. gave the last one to a friend, and bought a ruger vaquero. much happier now.
just for the record, i own a mdl 28, 6", that is one of my sweetest shooters... i am not an S&W hater, just their 629 line

man, really?

this makes me very sad :(

how long ago was this? do you think they might have fixed the problem in their more recent models?

ianS
05-06-2011, 9:06 PM
Ruger Redhawk. No annoying lock. Not overpriced.

S&W's are good revolvers and I've owned one type or another for most the last two decades (still have a Mod 60). But I won't be buying anymore due to the above two reasons. I always feel like I get more than I pay for with a Ruger while S&W I always felt like I paid too much. For me, the quality simply isn't there for what they charge. And the frame mounted lock feel like further insult. The DA trigger? Give me a break. Neither S&W or Ruger are all that great nor all that bad. Rugers today are a lot better than most people would have you believe. And S&W is worse than most people would lead you to believe.

No doubt a S&W looks "nicer" while the Ruger looks chunky and tough. But you're a Glock fan. So you're used to seeing beyond the surface of things.

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 9:08 PM
until the barrel starts turning on you. go ruger, or something else

you would think that they would have had the forsight to put opposite type threading on the barrel, where the rifling causes the round to rotate one way, which would tighten the barrel to the frame rather than having it do the opposite effect.

maybe the engineers at s&w need to study more physics

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 9:16 PM
since this is the case with these two revolvers, it looks like im probably going to get the wood grip stainless 44 mag ruger redhawk with 5.5" barrel. that thing is just as visually appealing as the 629, and since its a better built pistol, then we have a winner.

looking pretty good

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/images/5004.jpg

ianS
05-06-2011, 9:21 PM
To be fair you'll likely get a 629 without any problems. Its not like Ruger doesn't have problems with QC now and then. They both churn out a lot of revolvers and bad ones get out now and then. But their QC is overall much better than something made by Taurus. But good call on the Redhawk. Its a great .44 Magnum revolver. But seriously start looking for more handfilling grips. I hated those skinny wood grips.

uxo2
05-06-2011, 9:22 PM
Ruger..................

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 9:41 PM
To be fair you'll likely get a 629 without any problems. Its not like Ruger doesn't have problems with QC now and then. They both churn out a lot of revolvers and bad ones get out now and then. But their QC is overall much better than something made by Taurus. But good call on the Redhawk. Its a great .44 Magnum revolver. But seriously start looking for more handfilling grips. I hated those skinny wood grips.

thats a good point, but really, the ruger does sound like an overall better deal. although im definitely going to do more research before i actually buy. as for the grips though, i would prefer some nice thick rubber ones. il have to see how the thing feels in my hands though.

ianS
05-06-2011, 9:47 PM
thats a good point, but really, the ruger does sound like an overall better deal. although im definitely going to do more research before i actually buy. as for the grips though, i would prefer some nice thick rubber ones. il have to see how the thing feels in my hands though.

There really isn't that much research to be done. The 629 and Redhawk are two of the most highly regarded production DA .44 Magnum revolvers out there. The Colt Anaconda's are rare and go for a premium so if you see a good one....I'm drifting. It really does come down to things like aesthetics or whether you're grandpa was a S&W man or Ruger man. Or like me. Damn, those locks on new S&W's really do annoy me. As overpriced as they are S&W has a lot of models to choose from. Stuff Ruger doesn't make. So I'm ready to pay the man. But I hold it and see the lock and its a deal breaker.

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 9:53 PM
There really isn't that much research to be done. The 629 and Redhawk are two of the most highly regarded production DA .44 Magnum revolvers out there. The Colt Anaconda's are rare and go for a premium so if you see a good one....I'm drifting. It really does come down to things like aesthetics or whether you're grandpa was a S&W man or Ruger man. Or like me. Damn, those locks on new S&W's really do annoy me. As overpriced as they are S&W has a lot of models to choose from. Stuff Ruger doesn't make. So I'm ready to pay the man. But I hold it and see the lock and its a deal breaker.

yea thats understandable. trigger lock would be annoying. i think the main factor here though is reliability. aesthetics are pretty much equal. but it concerns me that s&w's can potentially have their barrel come loose

cali_armz
05-06-2011, 9:57 PM
also, id like to say that a colt anaconda would be a dream gun to get. maybe one day when i have more money. as it is for now though, id like to stay around the $1000 range for a new firearm, ideally less. ive seen used rugers advertised for around 600, although i have a feeling that i might be better off buying a new pistol, because then i know its in perfect condition.

ianS
05-06-2011, 10:11 PM
yea thats understandable. trigger lock would be annoying. i think the main factor here though is reliability. aesthetics are pretty much equal. but it concerns me that s&w's can potentially have their barrel come loose

Again, I wouldn't worry about that. Most likely it was a bad batch or a few bad ones got out. Then its all over the internet and its an epidemic. Ruger had that problem before too. That would not be the reason I wouldn't buy a new Smith.

jdg30
05-07-2011, 6:56 AM

To me, it sounds like you really want this gun overall. I wouldn't let one person's negative opinion about the 629 discourage you about getting one if that's what you really want. I have Ruger revolvers and S&W revolvers and they all work exactly as intended. Some of the Smith's have the internal lock, some don't and they all function the same. I think the pre-lock Smith's look a little nicer without the keyhole on the side but it doesn't affect the function of the gun.

If you ever have any problem with S&W or Ruger, they both have excellent customer service so there's no need to worry about that. I think it's highly unlikely you will ever even have to return a new revolver from either brand for repairs anyways.

I think that if you settle for your second choice in a gun instead of your first, you're going to still have the desire for your favorite and end up having to buy two guns in the long run. Trust me, I've done it before.

Z.1
05-07-2011, 7:12 AM
If you can find a S&W 629 with a 5" barrel I'd buy it. From what I understand they're fairly rare...
I believe most are either 4" or 6"

redcliff
05-07-2011, 8:22 AM
I agree that the Super Redhawk is a better gun for heavy 44 magnum use. Most poeple either don't shoot their Model 29's much because of the recoil of the .44 magnum, or they learn that 44 special loads are much more pleasant to shoot and all that is needed in a defensive load unless you're in Bear country.

My favorites are the Model 29-2's and earlier due to the pinned barrels and recessed cylinders. I'm still looking for a very good blued 6.5" variant (if anyone up north has one that they want to sell for top dollar), the one I have is a 29-3, although my 4" is a nickel 29-2 which I like very much.

kayaker
05-07-2011, 8:32 AM
[QUOTE=PutTogether;6348870]It is very, very, likely that 'regular basis' will equate to either never, or once, over the lifetime of that gun.

I have to admit that I've only owned one S&W revolver. A model 19 .357 mag, bought in 1982. First trip to the range the timing locked up. I took it back to the shop and they returned it to S&W for repair. It's been fine ever since.

I guess I've been pretty unlucky with new guns. Out of 11 guns that I've bought new 4 have had to go back for repairs. 1 S&W, 1 Browning, 1 Ruger, 1 Colt.

scarville
05-07-2011, 9:04 AM
Fact is either a Ruger Redhawk or a S&W 629 will, with reasonable care, last longer than you will. If you want a gun to shoot rather than collect, either will serve you well for many years. The choice has always come down to which gun was more comfortable for me to shoot. In the DA revolver that has always been the S&W. Also, in my experience, the S&W is an easier action to work on but the Ruger is easier to field strip. The Ruger will have a little larger selection of grip sizes available if the large frame is an issue for your hands.

A quick check at Gallery of Gun indicate that a new 629 sells for about $50 more than a new Redhawk. For me that makes the S&W the best choice.

Comrade Thingy
05-07-2011, 9:46 AM
Good luck finding a Redhawk. I've been around gunshops in SoCal for the past couple of years and only remember seeing one. Super Redhawks are relatively common though, and Smiths are everywhere they sell revolvers.

Of course, Ruger jacked up the MSRP so they are no longer $100+ dollars cheaper than a comparable S&W. Take that as you will.

rogervzv
05-07-2011, 9:52 AM

/Thread

+1!

cali_armz
05-07-2011, 10:11 AM
To me, it sounds like you really want this gun overall. I wouldn't let one person's negative opinion about the 629 discourage you about getting one if that's what you really want. I have Ruger revolvers and S&W revolvers and they all work exactly as intended. Some of the Smith's have the internal lock, some don't and they all function the same. I think the pre-lock Smith's look a little nicer without the keyhole on the side but it doesn't affect the function of the gun.

If you ever have any problem with S&W or Ruger, they both have excellent customer service so there's no need to worry about that. I think it's highly unlikely you will ever even have to return a new revolver from either brand for repairs anyways.

I think that if you settle for your second choice in a gun instead of your first, you're going to still have the desire for your favorite and end up having to buy two guns in the long run. Trust me, I've done it before.

its true that the 629 really is the one i would rather buy. you make a good point though that there are occasionally QC problems, and its not likely all pistols will encounter the same problem.

i think the best thing for me to do right now is try and read as many reviews on these two pistols as i can find, and see what people have to say about them based on first hand experience.

cali_armz
05-07-2011, 10:16 AM
honestly, i am a little put off by how expensive these revolvers are. i could get a new glock 20 for half the price of a 629. although i already own two glocks, so a revolver is the next investment.

WINGEDSWORD
05-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I have owned several S&W 29's and 629's and one Ruger Redhawk. Not as pretty as the Smith's but a quality revolver. I STILL own the Redhawk.

cali_armz
05-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I have owned several S&W 29's and 629's and one Ruger Redhawk. Not as pretty as the Smith's but a quality revolver. I STILL own the Redhawk.

whyd you sell the s&w's? were there any QC issues with them?

gorenut
05-07-2011, 12:10 PM

No gun company will have 100% reliability. I've owned smiths and ruger. Both i would consider equally reliable. Ruger would be the only company I'd consider if your aiming for a lower price point than smith for wheel guns

anothergunnut
05-07-2011, 1:36 PM
If the price is a consideration, it is fairly easy to pick up used Smith model 29 or 629s for a good price. Lots of people buy them, put a few factory magnum loads through them and decide they want something a little less punishing.

WINGEDSWORD
05-07-2011, 2:24 PM
It wasn't so much a quality issue, as it was a comfort issue and a durability issue. The Redhawk is much more comfortable when shooting full power loads.
Like it's little brothers the model 19's and 66's which wern't really happy with full power .357's The 29 series doesn't like a steady diet of full power loads.
If you only intend to shoot lighter loads, you don't need the magnums, the .44 specials will do quite well.

Peter W Bush
05-07-2011, 2:41 PM
If I was going to have ONE .44 magnum, it would be a Ruger. They really are build like tanks.

That said, I have 3 S&Ws and they really are pretty. They are all pre-lock (if you buy a new one, get the lock removed). Trigger on the Smith is better than a Ruger from the factory. But for the price, it really doesn't get better than the Super Redhawk.

cali_armz
05-07-2011, 2:46 PM
all very good points. i really like the idea of being able to buy a used 629 that only got fired a few times, then the owner decided it was too much recoil. as for me, il definitely be shooting full power rounds through it. i like the feel of large caliber recoil

Donk310
05-07-2011, 4:33 PM
I have been entertaining the idea of purchasing a stainless steel .44 mag revolver for awhile now, having specific interest in the s&w 629, however, they are rather expensive. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any other revolvers which are just as high quality as the s&w, but with a more affordable price tag

Unfortunately there are no alternatives. You can get something else I'm sure, but you will just end up with something else... not a S&W 629. Save the $$ to buy what you want. You will be a lot happier with what you want vs an alternative.

RedFord150
05-08-2011, 7:42 AM
im glad to hear that about rugers, because in the past ive heard people say that ruger pistols werent always 100% reliable,although, its possible that was implied about their semi autos. its hard to say because i havent had much experience with them....

I think I've opwned about 8 Ruger handguns, including 2 semi-autos. I've yet to encounter a single problem. In fact, most people thing the Fullsize Ruger Revolvers are as tough as they come. Compare a Ruger GP100 to an S&W 686. The S&W has nicer finish, the Ruger will shoot anything.
Ruger has a cast frame, S&W machines theirs. Ruger just leaves more metal where it counts.
I've owned one Taurus revolver and had to send it back to Taurus for repairs after it failed. I sold it after I got it back. Very unlikely I will ever own another.
Good luck.

rogervzv
05-08-2011, 7:48 AM
I love Ruger revolvers and while the finish is different as between the S&W and the Ruger, I hesitate to say that the Ruger SS finish is any less nice. S&W uses a shinier finish while Ruger uses a brushed finish. Whichever. Gun lore has it that Ruger went with the brushed look for their SS revolvers because it is more tactical. Again, whatever.

wang949
05-08-2011, 8:04 AM
+1 for Ruger Redhawk as a good alternative to the Smith.

USMC 82-86
05-08-2011, 8:12 AM
Ruger SP101 very nice.

redhemi
05-08-2011, 8:27 AM
all very good points. i really like the idea of being able to buy a used 629 that only got fired a few times, then the owner decided it was too much recoil. as for me, il definitely be shooting full power rounds through it. i like the feel of large caliber recoil

If your going to be mostly shooting full power loads then the Redhawk is the gun you'll be wanting to use. Rugers are built like tanks and can handle a steady diet of fullsize loads. As for the trigger it can be worked to be just as good as a Smith IMO. I have a GP100 and I changed springs and did some polishing and now the DA is nice and smooth and the SA is almost to lite but with it like that I really love shooting it.

I just recently picked up a 1985 Redhawk 7 1/2" blue and it is a great shooter but like others have said the factory grips are a bit small and I will be changing them but other wise I have NO complaints about this gun.

One last comment if you don't like the satin finish of the Rugers A little polishing goes a long way.

I know its not the best pic but you can see what I mean.
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/redhemi/0908101227.jpg

Fishslayer
05-08-2011, 10:09 AM

/Thread

I like the Redhawk. The Super RH kinda looks like a Soviet era Russian firearm. Not the most handsome firearm on the planet.

cali_armz
05-08-2011, 1:15 PM
i cant help but get excited when i hear that a firearm is built like a tank. wed ideally like our things to last a lifetime, especially a thousand dollar handgun thats gonna have many high power rounds fired through it.

Fishslayer
05-08-2011, 1:26 PM

So where exactly is the problem?;)

NapaCountyShooter
05-08-2011, 2:41 PM
I like the Redhawk. The Super RH kinda looks like a Soviet era Russian firearm. Not the most handsome firearm on the planet.

Yeah, it's not the prettiest. Good for hunting though. If it was general purpose, I'd definitely go Redhawk. If I was going to hunt with it and scope it, I'd go 8 1/2" Super Redhawk.

pyromensch
05-08-2011, 7:58 PM
man, really?

this makes me very sad :(

how long ago was this? do you think they might have fixed the problem in their more recent models?

bought the first one in 85, sold it in 89, then bought the classic hunter.
don't know if they fixed the problem...too "gun shy" to spend hard earned money, to get a third strike

cali_armz
05-08-2011, 8:33 PM
This. If you look at the grand scheme of cost of ownership/use of a firearm....the cost of the actual gun is minimal. If you own a .44 for thirty years (which should be easy with a good one) you'll end up shooting thousands and thousands of dollars worth of ammo, spending hundreds of dollars on gas to go shooting, potentially a lot of money hunting with it, etc etc etc.

Spending the extra few hundred to get the gun you really want is only a fraction of the grand total.

I like this one: (out of the lineup of new guns) with that 5" full underlug 629 you showed a picture of as a very very close second.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/150254_01_md.jpg

yea, that is very nice. these s&w revolvers are very appealing. its too bad i dont have more money to spend, because id love to buy both this revolver, the 5" full underlug stainless 629, a ruger redhawk, and maybe some .357 mag revolvers as well. that and some 50 mag revolvers too.

cali_armz
05-08-2011, 8:36 PM
bought the first one in 85, sold it in 89, then bought the classic hunter.
don't know if they fixed the problem...too "gun shy" to spend hard earned money, to get a third strike

thats understandable. if i have a negative experience with a product, im not likely to go back to it either

cali_armz
05-08-2011, 8:38 PM
this is another revolver i want to eventually get, although, itl be after the .44 .50 and .357

this is a magnum research 45-70 BFR. absolute beast of a handgun

http://m1.ikiwq.com/img/xl/L9zD9w8Ktq4fK5vVAri55b.jpg

eaglemike
05-08-2011, 8:59 PM
If you are going to shoot a LOT of full house .44 magnum, the Ruger will be the best. Most people will never shoot enough to wear the S&W out, but it does happen. If you are shooting the occasional box .44 mag and a lot of .44 special, the S&W will make you happiest.

Many shooters end up shooting more .44 special after a bit, or get tired of shooting full house loads. It's possible to reload a lot of .44 special and get some good practice in for the price of a box of full house .44 magnum. The .44 special is still a VERY good defense round.

cali_armz
05-08-2011, 9:08 PM
If you are going to shoot a LOT of full house .44 magnum, the Ruger will be the best. Most people will never shoot enough to wear the S&W out, but it does happen. If you are shooting the occasional box .44 mag and a lot of .44 special, the S&W will make you happiest.

Many shooters end up shooting more .44 special after a bit, or get tired of shooting full house loads. It's possible to reload a lot of .44 special and get some good practice in for the price of a box of full house .44 magnum. The .44 special is still a VERY good defense round.

yea, it seems the general consensus here is that the ruger is a more durable pistol, especially with full power rounds, which is what id be using. 44 special rounds are comparable in price to 44 mag, so i probably wouldnt even bother with them.

in the context of self defense, i dont have a ccw permit, but i will eventually get one if i can move to the lake tahoe area for when i go jogging in the mountains, in which case i might have to deter a bear or mountain lion. id definitely want full power rounds for that

eaglemike
05-08-2011, 9:41 PM
Do some research on .44 special. Lots of stuff killed with .45 Colt long before .44 special was around, and .44 special can be loaded a lot hotter than that. If you want to get really good with a wheelgun, you'll either reload or you're a rich guy. Getting good involves shooting a minimum of 100 serious round each with a lot of serious dry practice. It'd be much better if one can afford 250 rounds per week along with the dry practice. It's much easier to work on good technique shooting .44 special than full house loads.

cali_armz
05-08-2011, 9:47 PM
Do some research on .44 special. Lots of stuff killed with .45 Colt long before .44 special was around, and .44 special can be loaded a lot hotter than that. If you want to get really good with a wheelgun, you'll either reload or you're a rich guy. Getting good involves shooting a minimum of 100 serious round each with a lot of serious dry practice. It'd be much better if one can afford 250 rounds per week along with the dry practice. It's much easier to work on good technique shooting .44 special than full house loads.

yea, i definitely want to get into reloading, although im not sure its entirely feasible right now, so im probably going to wait on it. as for self defense, my primary pistol for that is my g30, and i have a g19 to practice with. although, the only case where i could potentially have to defend myself with a firearm would be home defense, in which case my go to weapon is an AK47 with a military surplus bayonet. hopefully, the sight of the rifle would be intimidating enough that a home invader would just run away.