PDA

View Full Version : Bipod Placement and Muzzle Flip

wildcard
11-28-2006, 1:49 PM
I currently have a Harris bipod mounted on the forward most front swivel stud on my Remington 700P. My question is: will muzzle flip be reduced if I mount the bipod back to the rear most front swivel stud?

Intuitively, it seems like it would be a good idea for several reasons:

Will reduce muzzle flip since significantly more weight (24" heavy barrel) will be distributed to the front by moving back the fulcrum/ center of balance (the bipod) by approx. 3"
Will allow the shooter to "lead" (yes, i realize this could be done with mil-dots) or engage multiple targets more easily for a greater distance since you will be reducing the distance from the pivot point (the bipod) to the shoulder while in the prone position.

I just thought of it so I haven't had a chance to experiment. Just want to get some feedback before I try it in case this has been thought of before. If it works well, the only downside for me would be having to buy new foam ($50 :mad: ) for my case to get that custom fit and checking for any effect on my POI.

J

ocabj
11-28-2006, 2:32 PM
Moving the bipod towards the center may or may not help with muzzle control, but it definitely will affect the stability of the hold. It's a lot more stable to have the pivot point closer to the muzzle than to the center.

Ideally you would shoot at a moving target. But in the event you were going to shoot at a moving target, you wouldn't rest the rifle on a bipod. You would use a more expedient rest like a backpack, ruck sack, folded jacket on a log, etc.

But try whatever works for you.

anotherted
11-28-2006, 5:46 PM
Its kinda annoying isnt it?
I hate that bounce after every shot from my 700VS.

wildcard
12-04-2006, 4:26 PM
I moved my bipod back to the rear-forward sling swivel stud and my rifle no longer hops off the ground after my shot(s). Just make sure you check your zero after you make the change. I had to make a .25 MOA adjustment. Also, I realized my rifle has a 26" barrel and not 24".

bu-bye
12-04-2006, 5:16 PM
The use of a sling with the bi-pod helps a lot. I have used my non shooting arm rapped around the sling to pull down on the front of the rifle. This keeps the muzzle from jumping up. Even a little rope with a loop attached to the second stud or the bi-pod works well. I have done this too. Use your non shooting hand to pull down on the rifle and push into your shoulder.

wildcard
12-04-2006, 6:10 PM
The use of a sling with the bi-pod helps a lot. I have used my non shooting arm rapped around the sling to pull down on the front of the rifle. This keeps the muzzle from jumping up. Even a little rope with a loop attached to the second stud or the bi-pod works well. I have done this too. Use your non shooting hand to pull down on the rifle and push into your shoulder.

No doubt that using a sling will help with the muzzle flip and more importantly accuracy when shooting off-hand, sitting, etc. But when shooting prone w/ a bipod, my non-dominant hand is on the butt of my gun making fine adjustments.