PDA

View Full Version : Help the noob out with a sight plz...

Warguy
05-06-2011, 7:25 PM
I am building my first AR and found this rear sight and was wondering if it is good for the price, $25 seems like a good deal? But i know nothing about this stuff so any help would be appreciated!!!

http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=185

ren
05-06-2011, 7:31 PM
without knowing what it is, id say no.

Warguy
05-06-2011, 7:36 PM
without knowing what it is, id say no.

lol totally forgot to paste the link thanks!!!

UserM4
05-06-2011, 7:36 PM
I've yet to see a quality rear sight for under $50 so let's see it!

xibunkrlilkidsx
05-06-2011, 7:39 PM
there was vendor out there selling the std issue ones for the military that had makrings out o 600yds for like 50bucs on here. forgot who the mfg is of these. but they have a single post with range markings.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=matech+buis&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7690661596450056663&sa=X&ei=Z7HETZr2HsPg0QHom_ScCA&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAQ#

found what i was talking about. price is a little different but prob a much better sight.

dieselpower
05-06-2011, 8:08 PM
akpartskit is the same company as Blackthorn... I would sooner buy a UTG or CAA then anything from them.

MrPlink
05-06-2011, 8:50 PM
if going cheap is the main issue, get a daniel defense fixed rear for 60 bucks.
No it doesent flip, but its high quality.
If you really have to have a flip up, save up and get a quality one.
Hell, if it is in fact just a backup, get a magpul

Warguy
05-06-2011, 8:53 PM
akpartskit is the same company as Blackthorn... I would sooner buy a UTG or CAA then anything from them.

understandable but does that mean the sight is not functionally a good sight?? im just looking for a actual opinion based off the info and pic's. I have no idea on the differences of a rear sight cause this is going to be my first AR. I have read about blackthorne/hesse/vulcan, but for $25 if the spec seem right, i could try it.

dieselpower
05-06-2011, 10:03 PM
understandable but does that mean the sight is not functionally a good sight?? im just looking for a actual opinion based off the info and pic's. I have no idea on the differences of a rear sight cause this is going to be my first AR. I have read about blackthorne/hesse/vulcan, but for $25 if the spec seem right, i could try it.

and I would understand that...but Blackthorn has a reputation of being a scam...selling total junk. So if you are going to buy a inexpensive BUIS, buy one from a company that does just that...not one who rips people off.

you could buy an UTG, Leapers, CAA for the same price.

You don't even have any proof that is the proper height for an AR15. Its most likely so far off and so bad, the company in china who made them is selling them for SCRAP at like $2 each...that is where Blackthorne got its rep from. If you are going to waste $25 on a cheap BUIS...atleast buy the same cheap sight everyone else does. Then you know the problem you face before hand.

beaster
05-06-2011, 10:14 PM
I've yet to see a quality rear sight for under $50 so let's see it!

I bought a set of UTG front and rear sights off a fellow Calgunner for $40-$60(can't recall at the moment). I figured it was a cheap way to get started with my new A3 upper. Feel/look solid, easy install, no play. I can't zero at 50yrds to save my life. I get better groupings with my freakin' Maadi MAK-90. Look it up and check out the weak-@$$ sights on those things! Got in on an EOTech group buy. Right out of the box, dialed. Save your pennies and get a quality rear sight(sounds like you have an A2 front sight). I don't regret getting the UTGs. They got me out on the range with my new toy, and actually worked pretty well at close range in my first tactical class, but oh the frustration. But now that I have a quality HWS, I want to get a quality set of BUIS. Wish I would have started out that way, it would have saved a lot of ammo, working on technique, and swearing. Good luck.

pacrimguru
05-07-2011, 3:51 AM
But now that I have a quality HWS, I want to get a quality set of BUIS. Wish I would have started out that way, it would have saved a lot of ammo, working on technique, and swearing. Good luck.

well said. :hurray:

metalliman545
05-07-2011, 4:24 AM
there was vendor out there selling the std issue ones for the military that had makrings out o 600yds for like 50bucs on here. forgot who the mfg is of these. but they have a single post with range markings.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=matech+buis&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7690661596450056663&sa=X&ei=Z7HETZr2HsPg0QHom_ScCA&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAQ#

found what i was talking about. price is a little different but prob a much better sight.

We all use that buis herer at fort stewart. I like them, they work well