PDA

View Full Version : Hirtenberger L7A1 +p+

HKforte
11-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Has anybody had experience with the Hirtenberger L7A1 +p+ 9mm ammo? I've shot almost 2 cases (2200 rounds) through my P7M8 and I just love this ammo. It's very accurate, clean, and has some serious recoil for a 9mm round. I would not trust feeding this ammo through any pistol other than a Glock or HK.

Does anyone know where I may get more of this ammo?

Hunter
11-28-2006, 11:48 AM
This stuff was made for 9mm submachine guns, that is why it seems hot in your HK, it is!

I haven't seen any available for quite some time. I know when I bought the few cases I have still, it was at least 4 yrs ago.

HKforte
11-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Southern Ohio Guns had a good supply of the Hirts less than a year ago. But now they're dry.

M1A_KICHI
11-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Havn't seen any Hirtenberger besides blanks in a while :( .

HKforte
11-28-2006, 5:09 PM
I'm hoping there is another batch of these somewhere that will be sold (for a reasonable price of course).

JPglee1
11-28-2006, 5:10 PM
I would not trust feeding this ammo through any pistol other than a Glock or HK.

Ive shot it thru a P38 and broke the slide...so be careful :D

I too like the +P+, favorite load. Is it the armor piercing kind as well (illegal here if it is, FYI)

J

HKforte
11-29-2006, 2:37 PM
Here's what http://www.southernohiogun.com/ had to say regarding my request. And these guys had the last available supply that I know of:

"No, we are still out of stock on this ammo. I don't think we'll be getting anymore back in stock. Not now anyway."

phish
12-02-2006, 8:54 PM
You sometimes see Hirtenberger ammo for sale once in a blue moon on Gunbroker. The last batch I saw was for .308.

I did score an uber deal on .223 primed brass though, sometimes you get lucky.

Hunter
12-10-2006, 9:06 PM
....Does anyone know where I may get more of this ammo?
Here you go!
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=183860

homerm14
12-10-2006, 9:24 PM
Has anybody had experience with the Hirtenberger L7A1 +p+ 9mm ammo? I've shot almost 2 cases (2200 rounds) through my P7M8 and I just love this ammo. It's very accurate, clean, and has some serious recoil for a 9mm round. I would not trust feeding this ammo through any pistol other than a Glock or HK.

Does anyone know where I may get more of this ammo?

I don't know if shooting large quantities of L7A1 through a P7M8 is such a good idea. I have 3 M8's and an M13 and love them. I do shoot +P+ ammo through them however for most target shooting I use standard pressure ammo. You can find plenty of standard ammo for cheap and the gun will last longer. My 2 cents. The L7A1 was never really designed to be used in pistols. If you want hot 9mm fmj buy mil surplus 124's.

homerm14
12-12-2006, 5:02 PM
"Department of the Treasury
ATF Office of Public Information

For Immediate Release FY-97-6

HAZARDOUS AMMUNITION

Washington--The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) has been advised by Hirtenberger AG, Hirtenberg, Austria, that certain 9Xl9 mm
caliber ammunition produced by Hirtenberger is unsafe for use in any handgun.

The ammunition, designated L7A1 and produced ln the years 1990 through 1992, was produced for the British Ministry of Defense specifically for use in submachineguns under adverse conditions. The ammunition was loaded to produce pressures far in excess of that intended for use in handguns.

The manufacturer advises that up to 12 million rounds of this ammunition has recently been sold on the world surplus market. The ammunition can be identified by the following head stamp located on the bottom of the cartridge case

12 O'clock position: HP
3 O'clock position: 90, 91, or 92
6 O'clock position: L7Al
9 O'clock position: the marking of a cross within a circle

This ammunition should not be fired.

We are not aware of any of this ammunition being imported into the United States. ATF will take action to prevent the commercial importation of this
ammunition.

For additional information, contact, Mary Jo Hughes, Chief, Firearms and
Explosives Imports, (202) 927-8320. "

Nuff said.