PDA

View Full Version : corrosive ammo ak47 help

NorCalK9.com
05-06-2011, 2:27 PM
ok so how bad is corrosive ammo? Im thinking about buying some for my ak's do i need to do any extra cleaning besides normal?

SJgunguy24
05-06-2011, 2:29 PM
Hot soapy water, then clean as normal, save the windex for the windows.

NorCalK9.com
05-06-2011, 2:30 PM

So soak my bolt and all in hot soapy water?

chicoredneck
05-06-2011, 2:34 PM
You don't really need soap. You are just trying to displace the salt particles. The soap just helps pick up any oil/grease.

You must use water though as many gun cleaners contain oil that will not pick up the salt.

My routine is I use just normal room tempratue water. Run it through the barrel for a few seconds and wash my bolt and carrier in the water. Then I swab the tube that the gas piston rides in.

Dry everything.
Spray down with WD-40 to displace any missed water.
Wipe down and apply CLP.

MrPlink
05-06-2011, 2:35 PM

yep,
the only point of windex is its already in a spray bottle so its easy to use/take shooting

chicoredneck
05-06-2011, 2:39 PM
I have yet to have a corrosion problem with my AK74 and I shoot %75 corrosive ammo through it.

NorCalK9.com
05-06-2011, 2:42 PM
cool thanks alot guys. Btw my girl asked me today is calguns like facebook for guns? Lol i.said yeah.

QQQ
05-06-2011, 3:05 PM
Clean it with windex, ammonia, water, or some other polar solvent right after use and before doing the normal cleaning.

Honestly, I sometimes even wait a day to do the windex/water rinse. A bit of rust appears in the gas tube but then I use some Blaster Corrosion Stop and it washes it right out; good as new.

luckystrike
05-06-2011, 3:57 PM
I always makesure I give a decient cleaning in addition to windex (receiver, gas system, barrel) before I even leave the range. I just hate to think about getting pulled over and the cops confiscating my rifle and it rusting out for however long it takes them to figureout if its legal or not

tujungatoes
05-06-2011, 4:39 PM

yep,
the only point of windex is its already in a spray bottle so its easy to use/take shooting

HAHA!! At least this time I have backup.

I've been waging war against the windex users for a while now, and all it's done is get me into retarded arguments about chemistry, Ph, and electro chemical reactions.

The windex thing is crap, but it's not gonna do any harm either. So if it makes you feel better do it(still dumb though). Also there is no need to spray down your barrel immediately after shooting either. All that does is introduce moisture into a hygroscopic environment(more harm than good IMO). Just use water, or a water based solvent and thoroughly clean your gun after shooting corrosive ammo.

I have at times waited days and even weeks without cleaning after shooting corrosive. LA is a freekin' desert so not much happens here. It all depends on the level of humidity where you live.

MrPlink
05-06-2011, 4:52 PM
HAHA!! At least this time I have backup.

I've been waging war against the windex users for a while now, and all it's done is get me into retarded arguments about chemistry, Ph, and electro chemical reactions.

The windex thing is crap, but it's not gonna do any harm either. So if it makes you feel better do it(still dumb though). Also there is no need to spray down your barrel immediately after shooting either. All that does is introduce moisture into a hygroscopic environment(more harm than good IMO). Just use water, or a water based solvent and thoroughly clean your gun after shooting corrosive ammo.

I have at times waited days and even weeks without cleaning after shooting corrosive. LA is a freekin' desert so not much happens here. It all depends on the level of humidity where you live.

well, Im no chemistry expert. Matter of fact, the only reason I passed high school chemistry is because the teacher liked a lot of the same music I did.

But isnt most of windex just water anyway?

Shady
05-06-2011, 5:28 PM
well, Im no chemistry expert. Matter of fact, the only reason I passed high school chemistry is because the teacher liked a lot of the same music I did.

yes

NorCalK9.com
05-06-2011, 8:27 PM
alrite cool i think im just gonna wizz into it then use muradic acid lol thanks for all the help guys now any of you wanna trade some 762x39 corrosive ammo for 400 rounds of 308

MrPlink
05-06-2011, 8:44 PM
alrite cool i think im just gonna wizz into it then use muradic acid lol thanks for all the help guys now any of you wanna trade some 762x39 corrosive ammo for 400 rounds of 308

what kind of 308? PM me

FeuerFrei
05-06-2011, 8:45 PM
I have used plain room temp water. Worked.
Windex. Worked.
Solvent. Worked.
Hoppe's 9. Worked.
Etc. etc.etc......
I will tell you that from my muzzle loading days (stink!), all I used was boiling hot water down the pipe. Swab with patch to pump the H2O out of the nipple (cap-lock) and watch the crap shoot out of it. Rinse and repeat. Worked.
The water is so freaking hot that it heats the metal and evaporates quickly. Bonus.
Must be done same day. Black powder... well I used Pyrodex is VERY corrosive and will make you pay if you are slack in the cleaning regimen.
I have seen more guns rust from NOT drying up the water and THEN doing the oil/solvent routine.
Corrosive ammo is mostly speaking of the priming and that causes little problems to the weapon. I recall reading that WW2 U.S. ammo was mostly if not all corrosive primed. Neglected barrels get pitted.

I shoot Yugo surplus ammo in my WASR's and have never had any problems with regard to rust, corrosion etc.. I just clean the bolt face, gas piston, gas tube and call it good. Chrome lined barrels!
Use hot water technique to clean your Mosin Nagant. Don't skip the oil/solvent.

tujungatoes
05-06-2011, 10:11 PM

The only chemistry I learned in highschool was the reaction of 16yr old idiots to mass quantities of vodka during lunch. 4th period was pretty cool after that though(till my buddy passed out and puked all over).:D

And yes windex is 90% or more water. Check out the MSDS. (http://www.performancewell.ca/Safety/MSDS/files/windex.pdf)

Reductio
05-06-2011, 10:12 PM
So soak my bolt and all in hot soapy water?

No need to soak it either for that matter, I just pour some hot water down the bore of my SKS and over the bolt. Done.

captbilly
05-07-2011, 2:16 AM
I grew up in New York back when surplus corrosive ammo was still fairly common. I had an M98 Mauser that I shot corrosive primer ammo through, then put away for a few weeks. When I pulled it out to clean several weeks later the corrosion was so bad that you literally could not see any light through the barrel. There were actual crystals of something (I do not know enough about what products are formed to know what the crystals were) in the barrel. Interestingly, when I finally cleaned all this gunk out of the barrel (little warm water washed it right out) there was almost no damage to the rifling.

The trick I learned for cleaning corrosive primer residue was to put the muzzle in a bucket of water and then run your cleaning brush from the breach and pull the water up the barrel with the brush.

Though corrosion is much less of a problem in CA then it was in NY, since the humidity is so much lower here, I just don't think that it is worth the hassle to save a few pennies on ammo. I suppose that if I was on a deserted island with nothing to eat but deer, and all I had for ammo was corrosive primers stuff, I would use it, but for all other cases I would just get some non-corrosive stuff.

NorCalK9.com
05-07-2011, 9:39 AM
captbilly you are right. But hot dam only ammo i can find with free shipping is corrosive. I dont wanna spend 50 bucks on shipping but i think im gonna keep looking

Tzvia
05-07-2011, 9:59 AM
I do basically the same thing I do for BP shooting, at least the first step. Yea, it's windex (actually cheap .99c store knockoff). Keep a bottle in my BP and smokeless range boxes. Spray it down the bore as a flush while the bore is warm so it drys fast. Spray the bolt/firing pin, wipe. Then do whatever cleaning I normally do.

Back in the early British Enfield Rifle days, they used a funky metal funnel and tube that fit the bore and they poured boiling water down, the point to dissolve the salts.

Yep the spray bottle makes it a snap; it's really a non issue. In my SKS's, I also wipe down the piston and tube, no biggie.

We're talking a few moment's work here.

chicoredneck
05-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I grew up in New York back when surplus corrosive ammo was still fairly common. I had an M98 Mauser that I shot corrosive primer ammo through, then put away for a few weeks. When I pulled it out to clean several weeks later the corrosion was so bad that you literally could not see any light through the barrel. There were actual crystals of something (I do not know enough about what products are formed to know what the crystals were) in the barrel. Interestingly, when I finally cleaned all this gunk out of the barrel (little warm water washed it right out) there was almost no damage to the rifling.

The trick I learned for cleaning corrosive primer residue was to put the muzzle in a bucket of water and then run your cleaning brush from the breach and pull the water up the barrel with the brush.

Though corrosion is much less of a problem in CA then it was in NY, since the humidity is so much lower here, I just don't think that it is worth the hassle to save a few pennies on ammo. I suppose that if I was on a deserted island with nothing to eat but deer, and all I had for ammo was corrosive primers stuff, I would use it, but for all other cases I would just get some non-corrosive stuff.

If you own an ak74 the corrosive stuff is what most of the ammo available is. The non corrosive 5.45 ammo is over twice the price as the surplus eastern block corrisive ammo, so the extra effort deffinately makes it worth saving the $ IMHO.

RobGR
05-08-2011, 9:51 AM
I was shooting corrosive yugo surplus last night. When I got home, put the kettle on for hot water, turned it off before it hit a boil, grabbed my AK from my backpack, basic field strip, all parts went into garage sink, took the AK from the grip and poured water over receiver, down barrel, over the bolt, bolt carrier, dust cover, recoil spring. The hot water evaporates pretty quickly. Wiped it all down with paper towels, lubed it all up with some Rem Oil, wiped it down again, added more lube, put it all together. Done. 15 minutes.

Granted I should add a drab of grease here and there on the FCG, might go do that now.

Garand1911
05-08-2011, 12:47 PM
just use a handheld steam cleaner to hose out the salts

windex with ammonia might help with the copper fouling

Shady
05-08-2011, 1:07 PM
ioAhKvWkdaI

Im Broken
05-08-2011, 6:34 PM
Pffff, why would you worry about corrosive ammo in an AK...

Cokebottle
05-08-2011, 6:50 PM
What about the wooden furniture? Are all surfaces completely sealed so water is not a problem?

NorCalK9.com
05-08-2011, 8:42 PM
dude everything in my being just says hell ne i aint throwing my rifles in water maybe cause im use to AR's but hot damn wont that rust screws or something? If this is how its done i aint much on arguing but are you guys serious about that?

tujungatoes
05-08-2011, 9:10 PM
You don't have to "throw" it in water. Just use water or a water based solvent when you clean, and make sure you get some oil on there. Also on a standard AKM there are only two screws and they are in the buttstock and will not rust in place. *edit* make that 3, and I suppose the grip screw might if you actually dunked it.

glockwise2000
05-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Running hot water through the barrel, bolt and gas tube the, wipe dry. Go directly to your cleaning regimen. It would help too if you have a protable compressor to wick the water in the small crevices.