PDA

View Full Version : Purchased my first handgun.... illegally?

knucklez
05-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I have a quick question members of calguns. I purchased my first handgun but unfortunately I did not know I had to have a utility bill or car registration bill with me, instead I went in there with my AT&T phone bill. I still live with my parents and everything is under there name so the owner of the gun store told me to bring a filled out rental agreement (from both me and my parents). Would I have to get the lease agreement cleared and expedited? According to the store owner it only has to be filled out and signed by the leaser (me) and home owner (parents) which seems odd to me... Is this true and is it even legal to sell me a handgun without having proof of my current home address? The whole transaction got me thinking and I just have to find out if these guys are professional or not, thanks guys.

leelaw
05-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Legal. The lease is your state-sanctioned residence verification.

knucklez
05-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Awesome, so i don't need to get my rental agreement verified by the state or anyone? Super excited to pick up my pistol from "jail" soon :)

ubet
05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Your dl wont work? I always used that, and a couple months of cell phone bills, always worked for me.

NorCal Einstein
05-06-2011, 1:10 PM
Your dl wont work? I always used that, and a couple months of cell phone bills, always worked for me.

He's talking about his 2nd form of ID. I'm going to assume his CA ID/DL was used as the 1st form. Technically, cell phone bills ARE NOT an acceptable form of 2nd identification. They want you to show bills for hard line utilities like power and water. I would think your FFL goofed on accepting cell phone bills as 2nd ID.

knucklez, call your FFL back and ask them if they need the lease agreement notarized. I've heard some do, and some don't. You can find the forms/template for a lease agreement either online, or at a store like Office Max or Staples. They have a whole section where they sell forms. If your FFL doesn't require a notarized lease agreement, this should be fairly painless. If they do, it will probably cost you and your parents 30 minutes and a small amount of money to go to a Notary Public (go here BEFORE you sign the lease agreement).

hkfooey
05-06-2011, 1:37 PM
You can use your car registration from DMV as well.

Oceanbob
05-06-2011, 1:43 PM
you can do if your parents pay online for some utilities.

Just go to the (for example) the Electric company website and log in. Click the EDIT button and add your name to the header along side your parents name.

Then PRINT out the bill.

Done deal.

knucklez
05-06-2011, 3:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, supposedly I do not have to get the lease agreement notarized so I should be good to go. And Oceanbob, thank you for that tip. I am going to set up an online account for socal edison so I don't have to go through all this crap again.

hkfooey, currently every single car in my household is under my mothers name.

Thanks again everyone!

Josh3239
05-06-2011, 3:32 PM
Knucklez, or you can do what I did. Get an 03 FFL. Took me two weeks. It acts as my second form of ID and gets me discounts from online retailers. I also have a guard card and that will work too.

Penguin4091
05-06-2011, 3:57 PM
Josh out of curiosity if I got a 03 FFL and used it as secondary identification to purchase a handgun would I need to enter it into my bound book?

ke6guj
05-06-2011, 4:39 PM
Josh out of curiosity if I got a 03 FFL and used it as secondary identification to purchase a handgun would I need to enter it into my bound book?
If the firearm is a c&R firearm, you must enter it into your bound book. if it isn't a C&R, then you don't.

you don't "use" your 03FFL, you "are" an 03FFL. YOu are supposed to log any C&R dispositions that occur while you are licensed as an 03.

Penguin4091
05-06-2011, 4:50 PM
cool thanks

esartori
05-06-2011, 5:28 PM
How much is an 03 FFL and how do u get one? That sounds like a good way to go but I have no idea how.

Cokebottle
05-06-2011, 5:47 PM
Handgun requires both ID and proof of residency.
Long gun only requires separate proof of residency if the address on the DL is not current.

DL and vehicle registration are the normal go-to documents since most people who are buying guns have both.

Cokebottle
05-06-2011, 5:50 PM
you can do if your parents pay online for some utilities.

Just go to the (for example) the Electric company website and log in. Click the EDIT button and add your name to the header along side your parents name.

Then PRINT out the bill.

Done deal.
And that is fine because, as indicated above, it is a hard-line utility.

My parents live in Texas and still have their 951 area code cell phone.
They could theoretically have the bill mailed to me. A LOT of people have cell phone numbers that are in no way connected with their current address.

But nobody is going to continue paying for water/gas/power to a residence that they don't live in.

Cokebottle
05-06-2011, 5:58 PM
How much is an 03 FFL and how do u get one? That sounds like a good way to go but I have no idea how.
$30 every 3 years, get it from the BATFE.
Forms are available from their site that you can fill out, print out, and mail in. The whole process won't take more than an hour or so. Mail one copy to the BATFE, and mail a second copy to your local CLEO (you are not asking for his permission, you are notifying him of your application).

In 6-12 weeks, you'll have your 03.

Then get a California COE. That costs quite a bit more. The Livescan and $22 application fee will cost you around $100, and it's $22/year to renew...

But the COE does all kinds of wonderful things, including exempting you from the one-handgun-every-30-days for all guns, and it exempts you from the 10 day waiting period for all C&R handguns and long guns!

There are disadvantages though. Primarily, right now, you can go to Big-5, buy a Mosin, and in 10 days take it home. End of story.
When you sell it, since it's over 50 years old, you can hand it directly to any non-prohibited California resident and take the cash. End of story.
With the 03, the purchase and sale must both be logged in your bound book (even if you purchase it from a dealer). This means that you need to get the buyer's/seller's name, address, FFL information if they have an FFL, driver's license number, etc...

The other disadvantage is that within a few months, you'll find that your safe isn't as big as you thought it was, but you won't have any money for a bigger safe because you spent it on gas driving to AZ to buy C&R guns from JG Sales :D

knucklez
05-06-2011, 6:15 PM
$30 every 3 years, get it from the BATFE.
Forms are available from their site that you can fill out, print out, and mail in. The whole process won't take more than an hour or so. Mail one copy to the BATFE, and mail a second copy to your local CLEO (you are not asking for his permission, you are notifying him of your application).

In 6-12 weeks, you'll have your 03.

Then get a California COE. That costs quite a bit more. The Livescan and $22 application fee will cost you around $100, and it's $22/year to renew...

But the COE does all kinds of wonderful things, including exempting you from the one-handgun-every-30-days for all guns, and it exempts you from the 10 day waiting period for all C&R handguns and long guns!

There are disadvantages though. Primarily, right now, you can go to Big-5, buy a Mosin, and in 10 days take it home. End of story.
When you sell it, since it's over 50 years old, you can hand it directly to any non-prohibited California resident and take the cash. End of story.
With the 03, the purchase and sale must both be logged in your bound book (even if you purchase it from a dealer). This means that you need to get the buyer's/seller's name, address, FFL information if they have an FFL, driver's license number, etc...

The other disadvantage is that within a few months, you'll find that your safe isn't as big as you thought it was, but you won't have any money for a bigger safe because you spent it on gas driving to AZ to buy C&R guns from JG Sales :D

Can't thank you enough for this info :)