PDA

View Full Version : Lady looking for job

Domino23
05-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Hey, new to Calguns after being recommended by my boyfriend. Made my first gun purchase a few days ago- Glock 19.

Living in LA and trying to apply to local police departments, but finding job openings has been a little difficult. I was an explorer in Mn for 6 1/2 years and a reserve for 2 years. Looking for any advice or leads on getting a job in LE.

I pick up my gun on the 13th. Can't wait!

762.DEFENSE
05-06-2011, 2:39 PM
Brea PD is hiring for a few Jailor positions I believe.

Helpful_Cub
05-06-2011, 2:47 PM
LA is extremely tough to get into. Both City and County. I wish you luck but you'll probably end up at leaving the area to find something.

There's a lot of service people coming back trying to get these kinds of jobs so its easy for the hiring offices to skip over people. With that said, you do have the woman factor working for you.

Good luck.

SeanCasey
05-06-2011, 5:05 PM
There are openings that crop up every now and then. But many departments are capping the number of applicants so those apps don't stay up long. It might help to buy yourself some time by putting yourself through the academy. It gives the economy some more time to improve and being pre-service with the academy behind you may help out (although some departments require you to go through their academy regardless). I am currently playing the looking for a job game as well as pre-service (I graduate 8/9/11), but know the only way I will get hired is to stick to it and keep trying and constantly working on being the best candidate possible.

BigDogatPlay
05-06-2011, 7:31 PM
Did the 2 years as a reserve include Minnesota's equivalent of basic academy training? If so, you may be eligible for the Basic Course Waiver Examination process. Passing that short course and the exam would make you, essentially, a lateral candidate needing only to get through pre-employment screening and field training once hired. Some agencies, LAPD and LASD for two in your area, would still want you to go through their academy, as I recall.

Take a look at the POST website (http://www.post.ca.gov/basic-course-waiver-process.aspx) do the self evaluation and determine if you qualify for the waiver course.

Jonathan Doe
05-06-2011, 8:26 PM
I was teaching an LASD academy class on last Tuesday on Crime Scene/Firearms, POST Learning Domain 30, class 384. There were 24 cadets, and they were all outside agency cadets, no LASD recruits. Last class of about 26 had 1 LASD recruit. I was told that they may have couple of classes after July.

tyrist
05-06-2011, 8:39 PM
Apply everywhere

retired
05-07-2011, 12:42 AM
I was teaching an LASD academy class on last Tuesday on Crime Scene/Firearms, POST Learning Domain 30, class 384. There were 24 cadets, and they were all outside agency cadets, no LASD recruits. Last class of about 26 had 1 LASD recruit. I was told that they may have couple of classes after July.

Oh gosh I feel old; I was class #180:eek: (1976 at the "Real" Academy at Biscailuz;)).

Domino23
05-08-2011, 3:47 PM
LA is extremely tough to get into. Both City and County. I wish you luck but you'll probably end up at leaving the area to find something.

There's a lot of service people coming back trying to get these kinds of jobs so its easy for the hiring offices to skip over people. With that said, you do have the woman factor working for you.

Good luck.

I'm new to LA and really enjoy living here, but going back up to the San Francisco Bay Area to find work is my back up.

Domino23
05-08-2011, 3:51 PM
There are openings that crop up every now and then. But many departments are capping the number of applicants so those apps don't stay up long. It might help to buy yourself some time by putting yourself through the academy. It gives the economy some more time to improve and being pre-service with the academy behind you may help out (although some departments require you to go through their academy regardless). I am currently playing the looking for a job game as well as pre-service (I graduate 8/9/11), but know the only way I will get hired is to stick to it and keep trying and constantly working on being the best candidate possible.

Thanks for all the great advice. If i were to put myself through the academy and graduate, would that make me a lateral? cause I see that a lot of depts have openings for laterals but I didn't know if that just meant working for another dept before transferring or also just being an academy graduate. Good luck in the academy!

Domino23
05-08-2011, 3:59 PM
Did the 2 years as a reserve include Minnesota's equivalent of basic academy training? If so, you may be eligible for the Basic Course Waiver Examination process. Passing that short course and the exam would make you, essentially, a lateral candidate needing only to get through pre-employment screening and field training once hired. Some agencies, LAPD and LASD for two in your area, would still want you to go through their academy, as I recall.

Take a look at the POST website (http://www.post.ca.gov/basic-course-waiver-process.aspx) do the self evaluation and determine if you qualify for the waiver course.

Unfortunately, I don't think it was equivalent. I went through a couple month course and took a test that we had to pass to become reserves with the sheriff's office, but i think reserves in Mn are very different from the ones here. I was a volunteer, didn't carry a gun, and was only able to write tickets in the parks and assist other deputies. I will definitely look into it tho. It would help a lot.

Domino23
05-08-2011, 4:06 PM

I'd love to have more info on how to get into an LASD academy. Do you know how much the academy costs? Can cadets get grants or financial aid of any kind? If I graduated from the LASD academy unsponsored, do I then just begin to look elsewhere for a job? Where is the academy located? sorry for all the questions, but this is probably the route I will be going now.

CJfever
05-08-2011, 4:46 PM
Get into a Federal Agency, much easier and they will send you to VA for training.

BigDogatPlay
05-08-2011, 7:14 PM
Get into a Federal Agency, much easier and they will send you to VA for training.

FBI yes... and Secret Service has their own facility in Maryland. Otherwise nearly all federal LE passes through FLETC in Georgia.

CJfever
05-08-2011, 7:55 PM
FBI yes... and Secret Service has their own facility in Maryland. Otherwise nearly all federal LE passes through FLETC in Georgia.

what he said.....HUA

Tacit Blue
05-08-2011, 9:31 PM
what he said.....HUA

head up the arse?=hua Or are you saying Hooah? If so i agree too :)

Roddd
05-09-2011, 3:38 AM
Apply in San Diego. The RUMOR is SDPD is hiring again soon. The process takes about a year and SD is an excellent place to live and work. Sell your past LE experience. Being a female also helps. Good luck to you!

ckim34
05-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. If i were to put myself through the academy and graduate, would that make me a lateral? cause I see that a lot of depts have openings for laterals but I didn't know if that just meant working for another dept before transferring or also just being an academy graduate. Good luck in the academy!

Just putting yourself through the adacemy would put you in the class of academy graduate but not a lateral.

Domino23
05-12-2011, 12:22 PM

I'd love to try for FBI. I just always assumed I didn't have a chance without LE or military experience. I have to go back to school tho. I'm 2 years into a bachelor's in law enforcement. I would really like to switch my major to psychology tho.

Domino23
05-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Apply in San Diego. The RUMOR is SDPD is hiring again soon. The process takes about a year and SD is an excellent place to live and work. Sell your past LE experience. Being a female also helps. Good luck to you!

random question, but do u know if they ride two to a car in SD?

Domino23
05-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Just putting yourself through the adacemy would put you in the class of academy graduate but not a lateral.

Oh damn, now I really don't know the best route to take.

ckim34
05-12-2011, 2:24 PM
Oh damn, now I really don't know the best route to take.

Get your degree first. After that if it looks like agencies are starting to hire at a large rate again, apply and try to get sponsored. If not, put yourself through the academy.

Just my opinion.

SVT-40
05-12-2011, 3:34 PM
I'd love to have more info on how to get into an LASD academy. Do you know how much the academy costs? Can cadets get grants or financial aid of any kind? If I graduated from the LASD academy unsponsored, do I then just begin to look elsewhere for a job? Where is the academy located? sorry for all the questions, but this is probably the route I will be going now.

LASD only trains cadets who have already been hired by an agency. They don't take walk-ins, pre-service or un-sponsored trainees.

Retired, you are old!!!!! I too went to the original Academy at Biscailuz but was two years after you class #191

Domino23
05-15-2011, 8:37 PM
Get your degree first. After that if it looks like agencies are starting to hire at a large rate again, apply and try to get sponsored. If not, put yourself through the academy.

Just my opinion.

I think i'm going to try to become a reserve with one of the police departments in the area and wait it out.

Domino23
05-15-2011, 8:38 PM
random question... anyone know if Pasadena PD rides two to a car?

rh3431
05-15-2011, 10:34 PM
The word through the grapevine is that LASD is gonna be hiring again in July. And I think Pasadena PD has both one and two man cars... don't quote me on that.