PDA

View Full Version : ima noob and need help with my upper

DCMONSTER27
05-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I am building my first AR15. I purchased a CMMG 5.53 lower last sat and i have to wait my 10 days. As far as the upper, i have no clue what i want. I dont relly know much about the uppers. can you put a pikatinny rail on any upper? cuz thats what i want. Id like to have a free float quad rail, consisting of many acessories such as laser, bayonet, flashlight and a foregrip, then of course a flip up backup iron sight and a nice optical scope. So any ideas? Im new and still tryna gather info before i go and spend all this money on an upper. Any info would help and id appreciate it. ive tried asking in other threads and nobody will help me out. Thankz

wash
05-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Bayonets are usually mounted on the front sight/gas block, not a rail.

Figure out what you want to use your gun for before you throw the catalog at it. If you want a reliable gun made with top notch components, prepare to pay a premium over bottom of the barrel parts.

Until you have a better idea of what you want, there isn't much we can tell you.

dieselpower
05-06-2011, 10:34 AM
You came to the right place for help.

Whats your cash flow like?
Do you also want to buy a proper equivalent optic ($1000 rifle needs a $500+ optic)
Are you researching weight or is weight not a concern?
How many AR15s have you held? Are you going to every shop in your area and holding every rifle on the shelf?

What area are you in?

Do you want to impress people with a Name brand? (don't be shy here, its no shame to want people to admire your rifle...you just need the cash to do this.)

How often will you be shooting this rifle?

Welcome to the forums, and hope to help in any way I can.

ThemBastards
05-06-2011, 10:43 AM
I am in the same boat as you, building my first AR and am awaiting my lower to get out of the DROS zone. I have found many sites that offer inexpensive options for either complete uppers or complete kits that have everything but the stripped lower.

I am starting here because I am looking into a 7.62x39 build but they have cheap kits for other calibers too. http://www.model1sales.com/

Del-Ton also has cheap uppers and kits http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm

Here is a Stag Rifle kit http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html

There are many more out there but these are some of the least expensive kits available. Good luck

rod
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Well, you probably won't stop at just one rifle, once you get a taste of the AR. I recommend building something you can shoot and not worry about what all the girls will like. You can always add the bells and whistles later, or build another rifle. I recommend looking at the pictures thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26726 and get an idea of what you might like to build.

dieselpower
05-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Just remember inexpensive is NOT the same as cheap (bad).

A good example of this is CMMG's WASP Melonite Barrels.
A WASP barrel is less than a Chrome lined barrel since the WASP process cost less. So less money is spent on making the barrel.Salt bath (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing). This actually makes a better barrel! If its better, why aren't more doing it? Well they are...you just don't know it and there is a larger market for the more costly chrome lining....???? yeah stupid isn't it...

The reason why its cheaper (inexpensive) is two fold;
1) The process actually cost less.
2) Crusty old farts don't like new stuff. They hate change. They hate science. Even when you show them a process is better, used in other areas and has shown itself better than the old ways...they will not trust it. You really need to wait for the old farts to DIE before the new process to be adopted.

The second the less expensive WASP coating from CMMG is shown to be better than Chrome lining the barrel will cost more...LOL thats how the market works. You will be paying more for a manufacture to spend less... When in 10 years CMMG can no longer claim sole rights to WASP, and or more manufactures use Ferritic Nitrocarburizing salt bathing, then again the price will come down.

The difference between Glock's Tenifer process and CMMG's Melonite process is minor. The WASP process has been proved by Glock for over 20 years.
http://www.finishing.com/324/69.shtml

DCMONSTER27
05-06-2011, 3:54 PM
I have held only a few ar15's. Weight is not a proplem for me. I have a busy schedual, i work 12 hours a day 5 days a week, then 6 hours sat and sometimes sunday. Therefor i wont be shooting it that often. But i woluld like to have a well performing rifle just for shooting targets and ****s-n-giggles. I want to first build the rifle with a nice upper. After i shoot it then i will decide what i want to add to it. Im thinking i want a longer barrel than the standard 16'....mabye like a 20'. But whit barrel shoots better? Duznt the longer barrel help accuracy?

dieselpower
05-06-2011, 4:04 PM
It doesn't sound to me like you are going to need a 20". Yes it has its advantages over a 16", but from you said you will gain nothing and lose the benefits of a smaller rifle. If you really want a longer rifle think about a 18".

Its all up to you.

The only guys who see the benefit of a 20" are punching out past 500 yards. If you are not going to be doing that, there is no reason to get a 20".

from what you have said any of the basic rifles will do for you. you will start adding stuff like everyone does even after saying they will not. DTI, Stag, CMMG, BCM, Colt, LMT Noveske, DD, Riflegear, Spikes, Bushmaster, .... they will all do for you.

The trick is to do some looking around and buy.

Don29palms
05-06-2011, 5:08 PM
www.jsesurplus.com

jasonnorcal
05-06-2011, 5:21 PM
My 1st upper was a Rock River Arms which is a lower end brand but has given me no problems in around 2k rounds. My 2nd upper is a BCM with freefloat rail which is higher end brand. About 2k rounds through that as well with no problems. The main thing I would look at would be to get a mid length gas system, they run better. Lots of people have lower end AR's like my Rock River such as Stag, and DTI (delton) and love them. If u want something a little nicer look into Daniel Defense, LMT, or BCM. Last thing, u can put a quad rail on any rifle yourself. A free float rail usually requires a gunsmith install. I'd stick to the 16" barrel. They're good all around. Both of mine are 16"

wash
05-06-2011, 5:41 PM
If you want a rifle length upper, get one.

My first AR was a 20" A2 HBar. It is fine, a little smaller and lighter than a FAL but heavier than most other ARs. It would have been better with a flat top upper and a government profile barrel with threads and a bayonet lug but it shoots fine.

16" is fine too. Mid length gas is nice on a 16" barrel, I'm not sure if it works out better than carbine gas on a 14.5". If you go 18" or more, the split is between mid and rifle, I'm not sure which is best.

There are lots of options and they all have their own individual strengths. Select parts that do what you want it to do well, then fill out the rest with whatever you need.

DCMONSTER27
05-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I really appreciate all the help. I think ima get a 16" Daniel Defense upper. The guy at the gun shop told me that gas systems are pretty much useless. He said the parts might be harder to find in the future to replace if they go bad and they dont really do much. I told him that my co-worker said that his gas system distributes the heat allowing less heat residing in the barrel, and helps keep the gun (internals) cleaner. Also, i thought a longer barrel even further distributes the heat. I just dont want my rifle to **** on me ya know? Im going to clean it every time after i shoot but i just dont want to have to purchase a new upper after every 2k rounds.

Don29palms
05-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I really appreciate all the help. I think ima get a 16" Daniel Defense upper. The guy at the gun shop told me that gas systems are pretty much useless. He said the parts might be harder to find in the future to replace if they go bad and they dont really do much. I told him that my co-worker said that his gas system distributes the heat allowing less heat residing in the barrel, and helps keep the gun (internals) cleaner. Also, i thought a longer barrel even further distributes the heat. I just dont want my rifle to **** on me ya know? Im going to clean it every time after i shoot but i just dont want to have to purchase a new upper after every 2k rounds.

I think you really misunderstood what he said. All ARs have a gas system. It's either direct impingement or gas piston. Rifles have 3 different length systems. Carbine, Mid or Rifle length. There is alot of debate on DI vs GP. I have one of each and I can tell you that a gas piston is far from useless. I really like my GPU. I believe that gas piston is the future for ARs.

Why would you have to buy a new upper every 2K rounds? That's BS if someone told you that. You have to understand that some gun shops have complete idiots working in them.

DCMONSTER27
05-07-2011, 1:15 AM
I think you really misunderstood what he said. All ARs have a gas system. It's either direct impingement or gas piston. Rifles have 3 different length systems. Carbine, Mid or Rifle length. There is alot of debate on DI vs GP. I have one of each and I can tell you that a gas piston is far from useless. I really like my GPU. I believe that gas piston is the future for ARs.

Why would you have to buy a new upper every 2K rounds? That's BS if someone told you that. You have to understand that some gun shops have complete idiots working in them.

ok.. well that clears it up for me now i understand a little more. So what do you suggest for first build? Im feeling like a DI gas system thats the standard one right? And if so, then i can always switch to the piston later on if i want right? I think i am just going to buy an upper that is good quality like daniel defense but no to expensive. Its only my first build, and i can always sell my upper to buy a new one later on when i learn more.

Don29palms
05-07-2011, 6:41 AM
ok.. well that clears it up for me now i understand a little more. So what do you suggest for first build? Im feeling like a DI gas system thats the standard one right? And if so, then i can always switch to the piston later on if i want right? I think i am just going to buy an upper that is good quality like daniel defense but no to expensive. Its only my first build, and i can always sell my upper to buy a new one later on when i learn more.

You can't go wrong with Daniel Defense. They are one of the best. You will be happy with that.