PDA

View Full Version : Do you aim with both eyes open?

lazyman
11-28-2006, 1:24 AM
I shoot with one eye closed but my friend said to shoot with both eyes open, handgun and pistol. Which ones the way to aim?

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-28-2006, 2:05 AM
I seem to have more control with both eyes open. I suppose thats because I'm left eye dominant and right handed.

SoupNazi shoots with one eye closed and he is dead-on either way. Two eyes open is a better technique for shooting at a moving target or while looking for one; you maintain peripheral vision.

50ae
11-28-2006, 2:08 AM
I have both eyes open and focus on the target, less so the sights.

pacificcoast
11-28-2006, 2:10 AM
i could never get used to shooting with both eyes open. i guess i learned too long ago when shooting with one i closed was the norm. can't teach this old dog new tricks.

five.five-six
11-28-2006, 3:10 AM
I seem to do best shooting with both eyes closed

i just use the "force"

NeoWeird
11-28-2006, 3:26 AM
Pistols I tend to shoot with both open, rifles I tend to shoot one open.

I am trying to teach myself to shoot both open no matter what, and I am also trying to shoot ambidexterous. Dry firing in my spare time is really helping with both.

kicker72
11-28-2006, 3:47 AM
I also shoot both eyes open, except if I am using a scoped rifle, then it is only one eye;)

MysteryCereal
11-28-2006, 4:42 AM
I seem to do best shooting with both eyes closed

i just use the "force"

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good
blaster at your side, kid."

MadMex
11-28-2006, 5:07 AM
Both eyes open when shooting strong side / dominant eye. One eye open when shooting off hand / non dominant eye.

krim
11-28-2006, 5:10 AM
both open for pistols.

M. Sage
11-28-2006, 5:50 AM
Usually both eyes open, focusing on the front sight. Only one eye for scopes.

Aluisious
11-28-2006, 7:43 AM
Both eyes, all the time. I'm cross dominant and use my left eye for pistols, and right eye for long guns.

xrMike
11-28-2006, 9:25 AM
Both eyes open for pistol and iron sight rifle seems to work best for me.

NRAhighpowershooter
11-28-2006, 9:59 AM
Shooting eye is closed hehehe

actually I droop my eye lid on my non-shooting eye so that it is half open, so I'm using 1 1/2 eyes??

elsolo
11-28-2006, 9:59 AM
Both eyes open for most pistol shooting, except the really tough/tight shots then one eye gets a little squinty.

It took a long time to get there, I used to be a one eye closed shooter 100% of the time, but that fatigues the open eye more than having them both open.

cnyankee
11-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Both eyes open for most pistol shooting, except the really tough/tight shots then one eye gets a little squinty.

It took a long time to get there, I used to be a one eye closed shooter 100% of the time, but that fatigues the open eye more than having them both open.

i use 1 eye and am wondering after shooting for a while the sights/target gets fuzzy because my eye gets fatigued?

Satex
11-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Shooting with both eyes open is always better. It does take some practice and knowing which is your dominant eye. If you try and do it with your non-dominant eye, you will have a very hard time.

xrMike
11-28-2006, 11:29 AM
i use 1 eye and am wondering after shooting for a while the sights/target gets fuzzy because my eye gets fatigued?That's exactly what happens to me when I use 1 eye, and why I don't do it anymore. The open eye gets tired faster. This effect seems more noticable as I get older.

guns_and_labs
11-28-2006, 12:06 PM
I tend to shoot with both eyes open, open sights or scopes, but close the non-dominant eye if I'm really trying a precise shot with lots of time.

C.G.
11-28-2006, 12:29 PM
I tend to shoot with both eyes open, open sights or scopes, but close the non-dominant eye if I'm really trying a precise shot with lots of time.

Same here, both eyes open, unless scoped and there is sun shining into the non-dominant eye.

NSR500
11-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Both eyes open for me except when using a scope.

rkt88edmo
11-28-2006, 12:43 PM
I've tried both eyes open and can't seem to get the hang of it. I use whatever eye is on the side I am firing from. Haven't been convinced it is enough of a need to try and train myself to shoot with both eyes open. I'm not quite cross dominant, but don't believe my right eye is dominant enough for it to work without practice.

lazyman
11-28-2006, 1:33 PM
I can't seem to get the hang of shooting with both eyes open either. When I try, my eyeballs get all messed up. When I get it right, I feel like I'm looking at the sight cross-eyed. hmm... thanks for the replies guys:)

Hunter
11-28-2006, 1:54 PM
I shoot with both eyes open at all times. Applies to shotgun, pistol or rifle....scope or open sights. For me I find that my ability and speed for tracking a moving target, or just following up with a 2nd shot on target, is greatly increased when both eyes are open. This is quite evident in shooting a shotgun but it also applies to pistols and rifles.

Uberdummy
11-28-2006, 3:00 PM
I never really payed attention until this came up. When I think about it.. I switch between one eye and both open depending on distance with rifles. My first pistol experience two weeks ago I remember shooting with both eyes open. I must be used to both eyes open from all those years of shooting cans with pellet guns in the backyard and never using the sights.

762cavalier
11-28-2006, 5:49 PM
I can't seem to get the hang of shooting with both eyes open either. When I try, my eyeballs get all messed up. When I get it right, I feel like I'm looking at the sight cross-eyed. hmm... thanks for the replies guys

I have the same problem I can either focus on the target or focus on the front site.If I try to line them up in a plane (front site-target) I get two images.So I shoot with one eye closed. doesn't matter which eye either as I am good with both

JPglee1
11-28-2006, 6:01 PM
I have the same problem I can either focus on the target or focus on the front site.If I try to line them up in a plane (front site-target) I get two images.So I shoot with one eye closed. doesn't matter which eye either as I am good with both

Thats whats supposed to happen...you can't focus on TWO objects at different distances, at the same time *LOL*

When I shoot with both eyes open, the target is sharp, the front sight is fuzzy and the ghost ring/peep sight almost disappears completely. Your eye will naturally center the front sight post inside the rear sight reticle, and if you're using the "big" aperature on an AR, the rear sight will appear to almost vanish.

If you try to force your eyes to focus on the sight, your target will be fuzzy...

Its just natural, thats how it works....

Line up your rifle on your target with your dominant eye and your lazy eye "closed". Now, simply open your lazy eye... the picture shouldn't change much except the sights will get fuzzier.

Open-eye sighting isn't meant for utmost precision, its meant for speed of acquisition and adequate accuracy in FAST paced shooting situations.

Also, if you're shooting both eyes open with a notch rear sight it is MUCH harder... I can shoot an AR with both eyes open 100% easier than I can an AK...

Shooting a pistol with both eyes open, you don't even really look at the rear sight at all. Simply sight down the slide, pick-up the front sight in your vision and place it on top of your target. For targets 0-7yd away this is extremely fast AND accurate. As the distances increase you will want to add the rear sight to the equation.

The same can be said with a rifle in CQB... you can focus on the front sight only and be really accurate, within about 25 feet or so.

Anyway, open-eye shooting is a skill that is ACQUIRED, just keep practicing and don't convince yourself that you "can't" do it...Anyone can do it, once you understand what it is you're trying to do!!!

I think many people assume (wrongly) that the target and both sights should be in focus all at the same time. Once you get how the focusing works, it will become much easier. I shoot both eyes open even with optics. Up to about 4x zoom isn't too bad, anything over 4 power and parralax and stuff makes it weird (one BIG image and one normal, your brain can't handle it lol)

JP

762cavalier
11-28-2006, 9:55 PM
When I shoot with both eyes open, the target is sharp, the front sight is fuzzy

Not what happens with me when I shoot with both eyes open the target is sharp and I see two front sights. If I concentrate on seeing one front sight then I see two targets. Both eyes appear to be equal with neither being dominant so they fight with each other when I try to shoot with both eyes open:confused:
I have gotten better results with both eyes open if I put one of those little pupil sized sticky dots on my shooting glasses.

hw323
11-28-2006, 10:22 PM
I shoot with both eyes open.

What sucks for me is that my dominant eye is my left eye, but my vision is much better on my right eye. Also, I feel more natural shooting with my right hand. I understand that a lot of people are cross-dominant, but I wonder how would that work on rifles if I were to shoot with my right.

Am I SOL and start predominantly shooting with my left hand, as I have been doing for the last few sessions? I'm a new shooter and have yet to complete the build of my OLL, but this question always seem to bug me.

-HW

FatKatMatt
11-28-2006, 10:28 PM
I usually shoot with 1 eye but was told it is better to shoot with 2. I can't focus on the sights with both eyes open unless I focus with one eye first. I haven't shot using the both eye open method but I will next time I hit up the range.

elsolo
11-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Not what happens with me when I shoot with both eyes open the target is sharp and I see two front sights. If I concentrate on seeing one front sight then I see two targets. Both eyes appear to be equal with neither being dominant so they fight with each other when I try to shoot with both eyes open:confused:
I have gotten better results with both eyes open if I put one of those little pupil sized sticky dots on my shooting glasses.

Whichever eye you keep open (while squinting the other) will eventually become the preferred input to your brain while shooting. This doesn't happen immediatley and you can't really force it.

The weak eye will just look at the target/background and alongside the pistol.

If you have your focus distance set at the target and get the (somewhat fuzzy) sights lined up in the foreground without directly focusing at them, it works fine.

If you need to switch your focus distance between the front sight, rear sight, and target rapidly to confirm a long/tight shot; one eye will be much easier. Even Jerry Miculek admits to switching to one eye for the long/tight shots.

walkerboh4269
11-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Both eyes open here. It was beat in to my head to do this when I first learned to shoot.

pepsi2451
11-29-2006, 1:12 PM

That's what happens to me. I shoot with one closed or half closed.

czp01
11-29-2006, 1:58 PM
For precise shooting, I squint one eye; otherwise, I keep both eyes open.

I am also cross dominant, left eye-right handed. Before, I would tilt my head a little and use my left eye to shoot right handed, but I have sinced practiced shooting right handed using my right eye. It just takes time and practice to get used to. I am still left-eye dominant, but when it comes to shooting now, it's more natural with my right eye. It's to the point where if I pick up the pistol and point, the sights naturally line up with my right eye (even if I try to use my left eye).

At first, you would see a double image. But just use the eye you want, and focus on one of the images...eventually your eyes will get used to it. For instance, since I am left eye dominant, but want to use my right eye (shooting right hand), I would see a double image, and of course the one on the right would seem sharper (because of the left eye dominance). But I just practiced focusing on the image on the left (because that's from the right eye), and now it just comes more naturally.

So remember, the image on the right is from the left eye, and the image on the left is from the right eye.

That's how I've been practicing and it seems to be working well for me. If this is not the best way to do it, or if anyone has a better technique/solution, by all means, let me know.

bu-bye
11-29-2006, 2:22 PM
Both eyes for fast and general shooting, one eye only if i want to shoot out the 10 ring.

Vepr62
11-29-2006, 2:45 PM
Practice (and more practice) makes it perfect. My primary home defence pistol is Russian Makarov. It has very tiny front sight and not that great rear sight. One could have trouble shooting with those sights at daylight, and you can't aim with them at dawn/dusk/night at all. So i practiced and practiced untill I could make shots with acceptable precision just poining and shooting. It took me about 1500 rounds to master it.
Vasiliy

Centurion_D
11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I shoot with both eye's open.