PDA

View Full Version : Another Roster question for our Legal Eagles

anoldguy
05-05-2011, 9:32 PM
I'm pretty new to Calguns, but need some guidance from someone with knowledge of our California laws.
Seeking advice regarding a ‘California off roster’ handgun and legal ways to acquire one. Let me pose a couple of theoretical to see if any of them would work.
1. Could I go someplace out of state, i.e. Reno or NV side of Stateline, visit a gun shop and make a purchase, and then wait the 10 days and retrieve the handgun. Then return home (let’s say Sacramento area). Would I have to go through some maneuvers so that it is registered now in California?
2. Same setup as previous item, but a FTF from a private citizen and do the DROS, wait the 10 days, and retrieve as above. Same question with regards to registering in California?
3. Is there any way to have mail-order of such handgun to an FFL either in California or outside as mentioned in #1 above?
Looking for a Bersa Ultra Compact in 9mm. Want just a little more poop than the California approved 380s. I like the features and the size. Any ideas please. THX in advance.

Or, does anyone know of one that is available in the Sacramento area for sale? That should simplify things greatly.

Librarian
05-05-2011, 9:57 PM
I'm pretty new to Calguns, but need some guidance from someone with knowledge of our California laws.
Seeking advice regarding a ‘California off roster’ handgun and legal ways to acquire one. Let me pose a couple of theoretical to see if any of them would work.
1. Could I go someplace out of state, i.e. Reno or NV side of Stateline, visit a gun shop and make a purchase, and then wait the 10 days and retrieve the handgun. Then return home (let’s say Sacramento area). Would I have to go through some maneuvers so that it is registered now in California?
2. Same setup as previous item, but a FTF from a private citizen and do the DROS, wait the 10 days, and retrieve as above. Same question with regards to registering in California?
3. Is there any way to have mail-order of such handgun to an FFL either in California or outside as mentioned in #1 above?
Looking for a Bersa Ultra Compact in 9mm. Want just a little more poop than the California approved 380s. I like the features and the size. Any ideas please. THX in advance.

Or, does anyone know of one that is available in the Sacramento area for sale? That should simplify things greatly.
In all cases No - You cannot buy out of state, except to have the sale completed through a CA FFL; the CA FFL could not transfer it to you unless you were Roster-exempt.

IN-STATE sellers could transfer an off-roster handgun to you - PPT is exempt from the roster.

See the Calguns Foundation Wiki article - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

JeremyS
05-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Single shot exemption through a manufacturer/FFL like Valkyrie Arms. Search "single shot exemption"

...or this is a current thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=405853...

It's the only way to get an off list gun, unless you purchase a used one that's already in the state.

anoldguy
05-06-2011, 9:08 AM
I think I understand. I've received several responses and will need to persue it through the channels provided in those responses. Its all do-able. If any of you know of someone that already has a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact in 9mm in the Sacramento area that they are looking to unload, I'd like to think we could make it happen FTF. I've got a lot to learn. THX for all the responses.

Oceanbob
05-06-2011, 9:33 AM
A bunch of nice folks on this website.

Another way to get an OFF ROSTER gun or any weapon (handgun or Rifle) that is not an assault weapon (no threaded barrels, or evil features etc)

Is thru an Interfamily transfer. This works out of State. For example my adult daughter who lives in Oklahoma (a free State) owns an HK P30.

She decides to GIFT it to me. :D

She can (with prior arrangement with a California FFL who knows these laws and works with people on this exemption) send the HK P30 to my FFL here in Orange County (I use OC ARMORY..one of the best).

When the weapon arrives, I go over and DROS the weapon and wait the normal 10 days.

What my daughter has to do is enclosed a LETTER with a copy of her Drivers License and a note that says:

"I want Bob XXX my father to have this HK P30 serial number 12334456
as a Gift from me"
Signed ...Jackie XXX
Date: xx/xx/xx

All the FFL has to do is put this statement on the form:

"12078PC-Exempt From Roster"

Here's the Info:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

Be well
Bob