PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in here Amtrak police

foxracer151
05-05-2011, 9:24 PM
Is anyone in here Amtrak police or have any info on this agency?

Roddd
05-06-2011, 6:24 AM
Like what kind of TRAINing they go through? How do they choo-choose candidates? Sorry for de-RAILing the thread, let's get back on TRACK.

BigDogatPlay
05-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I spent the last few years of my career as a railroad (not AMTRAK) police officer, peace officer authority PC 830.33(e). Same training requirements as any other California LEO. I've interfaced with other railroad officers, including AMTRAK.

AMTRAK police do their primary training at FLETC in Glynco, Georgia. Largely the same course as most every other uniformed federal LEO, with additional specialized training. Their authority is in Title 49 of the United States Code and their authority in California is covered under PC 830.8. You can find the minimum qualifications for employment on this page (http://police.amtrak.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=37).

There are only a handful of AMTRAK police in California last I heard, only between 400-500 nationwide. The overwhelming majority of their operations are in the Northeast Corridor where AMTRAK actually owns the rails they run on. Everywhere else they run on someone else's rails (UP, CSX, NS, BNSF, etc) and those rails are served, largely, by the rail owner's own police.

gunner336
05-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Work we them a lot over the years. They stay mostly in the Train station here in downtown LA. Out on rail line the Regular RR police UP or BN handle the issues.

biochembruin
05-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Like what kind of TRAINing they go through? How do they choo-choose candidates? Sorry for de-RAILing the thread, let's get back on TRACK.

LOL... you win this thread.

Roddd
05-12-2011, 2:32 PM
I couldn't help myself. All I know is if you wanna get hired, you gotta have a good track record...