PDA

View Full Version : Sub compact pistols and caliber

high_lander
05-05-2011, 7:22 PM
So I want to pick a SC pistol, which will be an XD. Now I am deciding on caliber. My current XD is a 40, but I am debating on the 9mm version. The only reason really is round count and control. With a 9mm, I can get a 10 round and 16 round vs a 9 and 12 round. Also that 40 is pretty snappy on the 4 inch, and I imagine a little more pronounced on the 3 inch.

What say you guys?

And before you Glock fanboys pipe up I am sticking with XD, because I don't want to buy new holsters and crap, and since I do not live in CA any longer magazines are not a problem.

sk8804
05-05-2011, 7:34 PM
In my opinion, I would get what I am most comfortable with, moreso with confidence in the caliber than recoil. Personally I feel more confident in my ability with .40 and just trust the round with my life more than 9. You can always train more and become used to the recoil. Nothing that i said was to pull out the fanbois, just stating my feelings. I would run the short mag in the gun topped off with one in the pipe, and a full size mag for backup in the waistband.

high_lander
05-05-2011, 7:47 PM
That's what I was thinking as far as carrying. short mag to start, and heaven help you if you got to reload, the larger mag goes in.

RenegadeRebel
05-05-2011, 8:10 PM
You CANT train more with the .40 then with the 9mm. Its mathematically impossible. If I have 100 dollars to buy ammo with, then I'm going to get much more 9mm then I would .40, period.

I love the .40, and thats the only caliber I currently own. However, My next handgun purchase will be a glock 26, because it costs way too much to train with my .40, not to mention that with the advancement in balistics, the .40 and the 9mm are pretty much identical in "stopping power."

http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/wp-content/uploads/handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

sk8804
05-05-2011, 8:17 PM
it is all personal preference. the price difference is not all that great. $2-3 a box more for .40 in general. but if you know how your caliber shoots it will transition much easier. If I was going to ccw I would stay with the same caliber that i am proficient in. When you get a 9mm to start practicing with, then make the decision.

kayaker
05-05-2011, 8:38 PM
"not to mention that with the advancement in balistics, the .40 and the 9mm are pretty much identical in "stopping power."

I've read this line at least a dozed times and it still doesn't make a lick of sense.
If the 9mm has gotten better because of advancements in bullets and powders then why hasn't the .40 benefited from those same advancements?

sk8804
05-05-2011, 8:45 PM
"not to mention that with the advancement in balistics, the .40 and the 9mm are pretty much identical in "stopping power."

I've read this line at least a dozed times and it still doesn't make a lick of sense.
If the 9mm has gotten better because of advancements in bullets and powders then why hasn't the .40 benefited from those same advancements?

agreed. Both are good calibers but i trust my life to .40 more than 9mm, and even trust .40 more than .45. once again, all you caliber war junkies dont take this as an invite to steal the thread.

RenegadeRebel
05-05-2011, 9:19 PM

The .40 certainly has received the same advancements...Its just that they were pretty much equal to begin with.

Can you not see the picture? To be fair, the 9mm velocity's were pretty low too. I think 1350 fps is the norm, up to 1500 with +p.

Again, take a look at the picture. It speaks 1000 words.

sk8804
05-05-2011, 9:24 PM
yes but penetration is only 1 of the many things to look for in a caliber. look at those wound channels.

sk8804
05-05-2011, 9:25 PM
and back to the ops question as this is turning into a caliber war.

MoBait
05-06-2011, 12:43 AM
I'd go with a 9mm in a sub compact package. Quicker follow up shots. plus it's nice to have a 16 round spare mag.

DannyZRC
05-06-2011, 1:11 AM
having common calibers is handy, so a .40 would make sense.

in the absence of mag/ammo compatibility, 9mm is where it's at.

could even go for the new XDm 3.8 with the short grip

Watchur6
05-06-2011, 2:43 AM
I currently carry a .40 sub compact. I love it. I trust my life to it and have practiced with it enough to feel confident in my abilities. Its all personal preference, 9mm will do just as much damage. Whichever firearm you choose just be proficient with it(as im sure you will be).
Good choice in going with the springfield.

high_lander
05-06-2011, 4:25 AM
yeah since I already have the XD40, since I am familiar with the ergonomics it's a sure bet. Honestly the the impetus for this was my defensive pistol class. My instructor (who taught troops in the sandbox) was stressing the importance of staying in the fight, which is sustained fire. To me that translates as a high round count, which the 9mm provides.

While I also carry a fullsize 1911, I have carry it 8+1 and my follow up mag is a 10. Even as we talk about round counts, ballistics, and ergonomics, one thing I hope I never have to do is pull that smokewagon and go to work. But I will if I have to.