PDA

View Full Version : .22lr conversion kit... Stag or CMMG or ???

WiKDMoNKY
05-05-2011, 6:48 PM
What is the consensus about the drop in .22lr conversion kits for AR-15's? I have DDM4V5 (Mid-Length) with an H buffer. Will one of these type kits work with my rifle? Are there any other decent options out the besides Stag or CMMG? Is the CMMG kit OK or should i get the more expensive Stag kit? Can I buy extra magazines?

Thanks in advance!!!

762.DEFENSE
05-05-2011, 6:51 PM
I have the CMMG 22 conversion, and love it. If you end up going the 22 route, invest in blackdog mags..they're the best bar none.

Secondly, this belongs in the rim fire section.

dieselpower
05-05-2011, 6:52 PM
CMMG or Spikes... stag is a late comer to the party. They may or may not have the bugs worked out of the machining process. I know both Spikes and CMMG do have the bugs worked out.

CK_32
05-05-2011, 6:54 PM
I havnt heard of the stag but the spikes and cmmg kits have had great reviews and both have been in the 22lr game for a while.

I would trust both just as much. And I think it will work fine with your system. Havnt heard any complaints about not working with kid length gas systems and those don't use your buffer spring.

WiKDMoNKY
05-05-2011, 7:01 PM
Awesome!!! Thanks for the speedy responses! I will order order one now...

Arnelcheeze
05-05-2011, 7:04 PM
CMMG or Spikes... stag is a late comer to the party. They may or may not have the bugs worked out of the machining process. I know both Spikes and CMMG do have the bugs worked out.
I think the Stag kit is made by CCMG.

shadow65
05-05-2011, 7:13 PM
Spikes no longer makes kits. Stag are made by CMMG.
If you are looking somewhere like CDNN or Cheaper than dirt, or the kit is much less than others, it is because it's a discontinued old CMMG kit without any of the features currently on the CMMG.
If you want a new CMMG Evolution kit, contact me.
Dave

Arnelcheeze
05-05-2011, 7:14 PM
I have been thinking about this kit, CCMG Evolution India, but its not cheap, could almost get a sig522 or a couple of 1022's for the price, but it does look pretty trick.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/1706-2825.jpg
India .22 Evolution Conversion Kit w/25 Round Magazine

The India has every single feature we offer for a semi-auto .22LR conversion.

* Kit Includes: Right Handed Stainless Steel Action
* NEW 22 ECL (Evolution Chamber Lock)**
* Lifetime Warranty
* Live Round Extraction
* Buffer Retaining Pin Relief Cut
* Piston System Compatible (without removing piston rod)
* Magazine Stabilizer
* Bolt Hold Open Actuator
* 25 Round BHOA Magazine
* Removable Forward Assist
* Extension Bushing
* Cleaning Recoil Guide Rod
* Go/No Go Chamber Adapter
* Compatible with Any Mil-Spec AR15 Upper
* Magazine Loader

**The New Evolution Chamber Lock is a brass chamber adapter that locks into place eliminating all play between the conversion and upper receiver which has two beneficial effects. First, by eliminating all play between the conversion and receiver, reliability is improved. Secondly, for trainers and armorers, it makes it more difficult to remove and "tinker" with the conversion which greatly reduces down time due to "unauthorized" cleanings or dis-assembly.
Part Number:INDIA-25
Price: $334.95

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/India-.22-Evolution-Conversion-Kit-w-25-Round-Magazine-1706

shadow65
05-05-2011, 7:25 PM
The India is definetly the top of the heap for conversions. We worked on that for a year. Out of my 1/12 16" barrel, it has great accuracy. I also used it in a 1/8 7.5" 5.56 barrel and was able to keep all shots on a 3/4" stick on dot at 25 yards.

The kit is so solid when installed, it really feels like a low powered 5.56. No movement.
Let me know if you are interested in one.
Dave

Droppin Deuces
05-05-2011, 8:02 PM
I havnt heard of the stag but the spikes and cmmg kits have had great reviews and both have been in the 22lr game for a while.

I would trust both just as much. And I think it will work fine with your system. Havnt heard any complaints about not working with kid length gas systems and those don't use your buffer spring.

They don't utilize the gas system, yo.

shadow65
05-05-2011, 8:43 PM
Correct. It's a blow back system. No buffer or buffer spring needed. As a matter of fact, you can cap the end of the receiver and use it as a pistol.

http://http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13541.jpg
Dave N

dieselpower
05-05-2011, 9:00 PM
The India is definetly the top of the heap for conversions. We worked on that for a year. Out of my 1/12 16" barrel, it has great accuracy. I also used it in a 1/8 7.5" 5.56 barrel and was able to keep all shots on a 3/4" stick on dot at 25 yards.

The kit is so solid when installed, it really feels like a low powered 5.56. No movement.
Let me know if you are interested in one.
Dave

didnt know you worked at CMMG. Nice to know.

shadow65
05-05-2011, 9:18 PM
Thanks but I don't work at CMMG. I do field testing for them and have worked with them for the last year on the Evolution .22.
Thousands of hours went into it. The stuff we tested that didn't make the cut, you will never see.
They are great to work with. They listen to suggestions, will not release a product until it has been proven over and over, and have great CS. Biggest issue right now is trying to get through to them with the amount of orders they are getting.
These guys come up with more ideas and projects than any company I've ever dealt with.
And on top of everything they do, CMMG works very hard to keep prices down.
While others were selling .22 uppers for $550, CMMG started theirs at $349.
Dave

Airrixd
05-05-2011, 9:29 PM
Thanks but I don't work at CMMG. I do field testing for them and have worked with them for the last year on the Evolution .22.
Thousands of hours went into it. The stuff we tested that didn't make the cut, you will never see.
They are great to work with. They listen to suggestions, will not release a product until it has been proven over and over, and have great CS. Biggest issue right now is trying to get through to them with the amount of orders they are getting.
These guys come up with more ideas and projects than any company I've ever dealt with.
And on top of everything they do, CMMG works very hard to keep prices down.
While others were selling .22 uppers for $550, CMMG started theirs at $349.
Dave

Dave is all about .22 conversion kits. Listen to this man.. he knows his sh*t

Q
05-05-2011, 10:58 PM
That cmmg evolution india kit is slick! Glad, I waited on spikes or cmmg..:D

solo3937
05-06-2011, 7:04 AM
+1 in regards to Dave.

He helped me get all the parts I needed to build a dedicated 22 upper.
If you decide to get your parts through him, you will not be disappointed. Dave is super easy to work with and he will follow through all the way to the end.

Thanks again Dave.

shadow65
05-06-2011, 7:07 AM
Glad to help:D