PDA

View Full Version : U15: Getting the foam on the tube

hoffmang
11-27-2006, 8:13 PM
I know Grant recommended two solutions for getting the foam on the buffer tube.

1. Soapy water. He said it took him 5 minutes.

2. Windex. He said it took 1 minute.

Windex isn't loving me or I'm not sufficiently persevering. It may have to do with the under 2 week old around the house...

Anybody had good success getting the foam on?

-Gene

chickenfried
11-27-2006, 8:15 PM
I worked at a bike shop. When installing grips on handle bars we'd use hairspray. Might work on this?

SemiAutoSam
11-27-2006, 8:15 PM
I used silicone spray. After it dried it was fine.

Paul
11-27-2006, 8:16 PM
I used Windex on my Ace stock which is pretty much the same situation. I sprayed the tube and the foam pad and managed to get it halfway on by pushing and the rest of the way by pulling and twisting.

five.five-six
11-27-2006, 8:35 PM
soapy watter get it wet it is aluminum and will not rust

50ae
11-27-2006, 8:39 PM
Aluminum might not rust per sey but it does corrode pretty well and I'd be hesitant to put any chlorides on it. I'd just use straight water with some alcohol in it.

dwtt
11-27-2006, 8:44 PM
armor all used on car plastic is slippery. It should be slippery on the foam tube.

JOEKILLA
11-27-2006, 9:22 PM
Plain water on my Ace stock....nothing to it. :)

metalhead357
11-27-2006, 9:43 PM
mmm, maybe overkill; how about cut it along its length and then glue the sucker on???????????

Toolbox X
11-27-2006, 9:43 PM
I've put 10 of those things on. Yeah, it's no fun.

What works best for me is spraying the inside of the foam and the outside of the tube with Windex.

Next I get the tube on as best I can, usually a half inch or so.

I then put a rag or sponge on the counter and place the threaded end of the receiver extension on that.

From there I work the part of the foam tube that is highest up on the receiver extension, by wrapping my hand around it and pushing it down. This will slowly, 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch work the foam tube further and further down. It is very phallic looking so be careful who is watching you ;)

50ae
11-27-2006, 9:54 PM
Like I said, you really don't want chlorides on aluminum as it will pit terribly. I'd stay away from the windex. You could mix some water with some hand soap that doesn't have lye in it and that would work nicely.

PLINK
11-27-2006, 10:14 PM
1. Staight up dish soap/ hand soap. It will need to dry.

2. An air compressor with the "blow" attachment would also work. I use to put bike grips on this way.

But after putting on the foam, I decided to take it off. You don't need the foam if you shoot from the hip.:p I did take it out to the range without the foam and was able to get a good cheek weld. Plus it gave my thumb more room between the buffer and the stock. And think about it. Is the A2 or tele stock really that soft?

Hunter
11-27-2006, 10:20 PM
..... And think about it. Is the A2 or tele stock really that soft?

But on a hot sunny day out shooting, your cheeks will wish it was on. :eek: :D

Hunter
11-27-2006, 10:21 PM
..... And think about it. Is the A2 or tele stock really that soft?

PLINK
11-27-2006, 10:37 PM

I told you I shoot from the hip.:D The only thing I am missing is that evil pistol grip that allow endless supplies of ammo. I hate having to reload.

Bench shooter that goes to shaded/ covered gun ranges won't have an issue with that hot sun. Plus who leaves their rifle in the sun?:p

hoffmang
11-27-2006, 10:41 PM
I was actually worried more about the cold cheek effect instead of the opposite temp.

I hadn't tried to get the inside of the foam lubricated... This is really sounding more disgusting as I think about it. :)

Other than this, I love this thing. I got a chance to shoot Big Mac's at Chabot and damn my lower looks good with this on it.

-Gene

hoffmang
11-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Update:

I am now a big fan of the soap method (with a little water.)

Here is what I did.

1. Cover the tube in dishwashing soap (eg Dawn.)

2. Splash just a bit of water on it.

3. Dribble dish soap into the foam tube until it comes out the bottom.

4. Roll that around and then splash a little water in (but not much.)

5. Set it on your prepped towel on the counter next to the sink and rinse your hands off and dry them so you can get a grip.

6. Once you get it fed on, you can twist just above where its going on to get it about half way on.

7. Once it's halfway on, you can set it screw base down on the towel and with limited squeeze but downward friction (no jokes) can slide it the rest of the way down easily.

8. Rinse out the soap as best you can.

9. Dry it in a manner you like. I'm sticking it in a VERY low oven (I'm watching 160 and have a thermometer but that's cause I'm a Good Eats/Alton Brown freak) for a few minutes. I'm also likely to WD-40 (water displacement number 40 for those who don't know) the inside of the tube.

10. I'm going to let set overnight at least to make sure that all the moisture has dissipated.

The entire getting the foam on took about 120 seconds up to step 8 once I came up with this strategy.

-Gene

tenpercentfirearms
11-28-2006, 5:41 AM
I was installing a customers Ace stock the other day and the soapy water method advocated by my partner made a 5 minute job a 15 second job.

WokMaster1
11-28-2006, 6:42 AM
I've put 10 of those things on. Yeah, it's no fun.

What works best for me is spraying the inside of the foam and the outside of the tube with Windex.

Next I get the tube on as best I can, usually a half inch or so.

I then put a rag or sponge on the counter and place the threaded end of the receiver extension on that.

From there I work the part of the foam tube that is highest up on the receiver extension, by wrapping my hand around it and pushing it down. This will slowly, 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch work the foam tube further and further down. It is very phallic looking so be careful who is watching you ;)

Couldn't you have thought of an easier way like the condom method? Just roll & go. Ask any women, They would have said the same thingy!:D

Jicko
11-28-2006, 7:18 AM
CLP / Breakfree works like a champ too.

AJAX22
11-28-2006, 11:02 AM
When instaling foam on race bicycle's I used to use glycerine, pretty much the same as soap, but no extra chemicals to worry about. worked great

bwiese
11-28-2006, 11:22 AM
ArmorAll - it's slick as snot.

I use it to shine my boots and spilled some on my tile floor.

After cleanup, I was walking around the next day in socks and slipped - fell arse over teakettle...

xrMike
11-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Are both ends of the foam thingy open?

If you have access to an air compressor, you might try slipping one end over the tube and sliding it on as far as you can, and then gently forcing some air through the other open end as you try to manipulate the foam down the full length of the buffer tube.

I've used this method to get new rubber grips onto the handlebars of my dirtbike for years.

hoffmang
11-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Both are open and compressed air would likely work well. That said, I didn't have compressed air around last night :)

-Gene

metalhead357
11-28-2006, 6:22 PM
When instaling foam on race bicycle's I used to use glycerine, pretty much the same as soap, but no extra chemicals to worry about. worked great

Wait a sec.......anybody else seeing a problem with this? I mean a guy named AJAX using glycerine? Thats just wrong man!!!!!:p

guimus
11-28-2006, 7:16 PM
another pro bike wrench here. Problem with soap is that it doesn't go away. Any time the foam gets wet it will slip around a little, though that's hardly the end of the world. I second the hairspray approach. I just put my U-15 together with some hairspray and it went right on. That's what I use for tight grips on bikes, too.

kap
11-29-2006, 5:42 PM
I have another suggestion to get that foam piece on that worked beautifully and quickly. I started the first 1" of foam on the tube. I then sealed the open end of the foam tube to the kitchen faucet and turned it on fairly high. The pressure from the water slightly expanded the foam and prevented it from sticking to the tube which slid in easily. Turn off the water, squeeze dry the foam and adjust as necessary. Took about 30 seconds. :D

Satex
11-29-2006, 7:49 PM
I have the thing on, but about 1" is left hanging. Did I stretch the foam too much or am I supposed to cut it off?

hoffmang
11-29-2006, 7:54 PM
I like kaps idea.

Satex: The foam is too long, but you can squeeze it all on. It actually makes it look even better if you slowly work it all down and on - compressing it slightly but evenly across the tube.

-Gene

ivanimal
11-29-2006, 8:02 PM
ArmorAll - it's slick as snot.

I use it to shine my boots and spilled some on my tile floor.

After cleanup, I was walking around the next day in socks and slipped - fell arse over teakettle...

You must have looked like a windmill:D

I will try the compressed air trick.

metalhead357
11-29-2006, 8:07 PM
I have another suggestion to get that foam piece on that worked beautifully and quickly. I started the first 1" of foam on the tube. I then sealed the open end of the foam tube to the kitchen faucet and turned it on fairly high. The pressure from the water slightly expanded the foam and prevented it from sticking to the tube which slid in easily. Turn off the water, squeeze dry the foam and adjust as necessary. Took about 30 seconds. :D

When I FIRST read this thread I was thinking about how we used to get sticky Bike handles OFF. We used compressed air.....wondered if the opposite would be true to and it might help get it on..........

Satex
11-29-2006, 8:16 PM
I used Kap's idea, just used air instead. Since I don't have a compressor, I blew into the open end. First one to make a dirty joke gets slapped.

It took just a few minutes, but it wasn't that difficult. I guess I can blow pretty good (SLAP) :eek:

Grant did an excellent job on this stock, it is absolutely amazing. My only comment to the public is that if you have smaller than average hands, check this stock with someone else first as it moves your hand back as compared to the evil pistol grip.

kap
11-29-2006, 8:24 PM
I used Kap's idea, just used air instead. Since I don't have a compressor, I blew into the open end. First one to make a dirty joke gets slapped.

It took just a few minutes, but it wasn't that difficult. I guess I can blow pretty good (SLAP) :eek:

Grant did an excellent job on this stock, it is absolutely amazing. My only comment to the public is that if you have smaller than average hands, check this stock with someone else first as it moves your hand back as compared to the evil pistol grip.
As long as your lips were on the inside there is no foul. Outside and well ...

ivanimal
11-29-2006, 8:51 PM

We are talking foam tube here right?:D :D

Sorry coulnt resist the temptation.:D

dw1784
11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
another method is to use steam to soften the hypolon.
Bring a kettle of water to boil. Put the tube over the "whistle hole" and let the steam soften the foam. When it's warm to the touch, it's ready. If it's a permenant installation, put a light amount of glue or epoxy on the buffer tube first then slip the hypolon over it. It'll go on even easier with the glue/epoxy acting as lube. I used to do this building fishing rods.

megavolt121
11-30-2006, 7:55 AM
This method works pretty well too... needs no fluids.

1) Start the foam tube on the buffer.
2) Put your mouth over the tube, make it airtight and blow.

Once you have a good 2-3 inches on...

3) Take foam tube and rest it against your chin, again making it airtight.
4) As you push your chin down, it will expand the tube just enough to push it on the rest of the way.

Toolbox X
11-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I've got the answer!!!

megavolt121 was 90% of the way there.

You do not need any soap, Windex, or anything. Just air.

Here's what you do:
1. Put the foam tube on the receiver extension about an inch.
2. Rest the open end of the receiver extension on a table or the floor, etc.
3. With your right hand pinch closed the open end of the foam tube so no air can escape.
4. Keeping the end of the foam tube pinched tight, push the foam tube onto the receiver extension and use your left hand to guide it.
5. Once the foam tube is almost completely on the receiver extension use the palm of your hand to gently "bop" the remaining foam onto the receiver extension.

This method is so easy I am very happy to say I will install the foam tubes for the remaining and future U15 stock kits!

-Grant

WokMaster1
11-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I've got the answer!!!

Here's what you do:
3. With your right hand pinch closed the open end of the foam tube so no air can escape.
4. Keeping the end of the foam tube pinched tight, push the foam tube onto the receiver extension and use your left hand to guide it.
5. Once the foam tube is almost completely on the receiver extension use the palm of your hand to gently "bop" the remaining foam onto the receiver extension.

This method is so easy I am very happy to say I will install the foam tubes for the remaining and future U15 stock kits!

-Grant

Can I get one with a certificate stating this "Blown by ToolBox X"?:D

megavolt121
11-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I've got the answer!!!

Here's what you do:

-Grant

I demand a discount for the extra labor involved in installing mine! J/K

I fell upon the chin method because I got frustrated w/ the foam not going on quickly. So I kind of rested my chin against the tube and felt it slip right on.