PDA

View Full Version : why the hell should I?

PandaLuv
05-05-2011, 5:11 PM
I got scolded by many callgunners when I bad mouthed 22lr.
I understand that it's a great round for practice shooting and the wallet. It's not a macho thing, the 22s just never appealed to me.

So can you give me another reason why I should go buy another pistol so I can shoot 22LR?

Edit: it really isn't a bad round, just please don't be a smart ***

IPSICK
05-05-2011, 5:17 PM
I got bi*ched at by many callgunners when I bad mouthed 22lr.
I understand that it's a great round for practice shooting and the wallet. It's not a macho thing, the 22s just never appealed to me.

So can you give me another reason why I should go buy another pistol so I can shoot 22LR?

Really? You've already been given several reasons but apparently you call it bi*ching.

TheDeej
05-05-2011, 5:18 PM
Trigger time is everything, it allows you to shoot far more than you ever would with centerfire. It's a great way to get others into shooting, whether it be kids or apprehensive lady-friends. The challenges are the same, just scaled down. Really lets you focus on your fundamentals which will make you a better shot with your centerfire. You'd love it, you just don't know it yet ;)

PandaLuv
05-05-2011, 5:24 PM
Really? You've already been given several reasons but apparently you call it bi*ching.

Chill out bro, just a figure of speech. I will edit it to make feel better

iareConfusE
05-05-2011, 5:28 PM

You've already listed two of the primary reasons behind purchasing a .22LR. If those reasons aren't good enough for you, then you obviously have made up your mind about the round. You don't HAVE to have one, but it's certainly a lot of fun for everybody else that does like it.

It is my opinion that every respectable shooter/gun owner should have:

A 1911 (Pretty self explanatory)
A rimfire rifle or pistol (namely Ruger 10/22)
A Mosin Nagant (Because they're so cheap, why wouldn't you?)

j1133s
05-05-2011, 5:28 PM

I'd recommend putting that money into guns/ammo that you do like to shoot. Why shoot something you don't like ??

TheDeej
05-05-2011, 5:40 PM
I'd recommend putting that money into guns/ammo that you do like to shoot. Why shoot something you don't like ??

I think you missed his other thread, where he complained about not being able to shoot his P226 because of the cost of ammo, and he asked what everyone else does when they can't afford to shoot. As you can imagine, a large number of posts said get a .22LR, he proceeded to say .22 is lame. That leads us to here, where it would seem he is entertaining the idea as he stares at his empty Sig...

If I were Panda, I'd be all over that Sig .22 conversion, you don't even have to dros it! Just order it and it will pay for itself!

Kryptyde
05-05-2011, 5:49 PM
Reasons I love 22LR:

It can be very inexpensive, as little as 3 cents a round.
It can be very accurate at close ranges.
Since you are firing at close ranges you dont need a spotter.
There is very little recoil so you can shoot all day.
There is very little noise.
Selection and availability of ammo is excellent.
Targets last longer before being destroyed.
The rounds dont weigh much nor take up much space making transport easy.
Certain gun restrictions do not apply to rimfires.
When the range is crowded you dont have to worry as much about controlling your brass.

PandaLuv
05-05-2011, 5:50 PM
I think you missed his other thread, where he complained about not being able to shoot his P226 because of the cost of ammo, and he asked what everyone else does when they can't afford to shoot. As you can imagine, a large number of posts said get a .22LR, he proceeded to say .22 is lame. That leads us to here, where it would seem he is entertaining the idea as he stares at his empty Sig...

If I were Panda, I'd be all over that Sig .22 conversion, you don't even have to dros it! Just order it and it will pay for itself!

it's that I was complaining, it's just I was wondering how other people deal with it.
I never thought shooting would be so great.
anyways, thanks for the input

rojocorsa
05-05-2011, 5:52 PM
For me, it's a cost vs. how many times I can pull the trigger and practice thing.

I might get flamed, but I think .22 LR pistols are lame--BUT I love .22 rifles, especially those with a turn-bolt. I am also more and more convinced that the 795 Marlin is a better rifle than the 10/22. That's just me.

I'm not gonna bash .22 pistols because they have their place, but I never had as much fun shooting one compared to a modern centerfire pistol. Such is life.

TheDeej
05-05-2011, 5:53 PM
it's that I was complaining, it's just I was wondering how other people deal with it.
I never thought shooting would be so great.
anyways, thanks for the input

Ehhh, it's ok to complain, I know I do when I'm short on ammo. But my .22 upper will be here tomorrow and I won't have to complain about buying .223 anymore :D

j1133s
05-05-2011, 5:57 PM

Oh I remember posting to that thread, just don't remember the OP.

My suggestion was for him to dry fire and save $ for ammo/match fees to demo his skills.

chesterthehero
05-05-2011, 5:57 PM
if you dont enjoy it why would you do it or feel bad about not wanting to do it...

CmpsdNoMore
05-05-2011, 6:17 PM
I decided against buying a .22LR pistol at this point because it's not worth it over buying the same amount in ammo for a centerfire round. If I shot more it would be worth it, but the amount I'd have to shoot to "break even" with buying a .22 pistol and ammo would be enough to let me shoot the centerfire round for over a few years.

Scratch705
05-05-2011, 6:22 PM
does the sigp226 have a aftermarket add-on to let it shoot .22lr? if so just buy that, cheaper than buying a new gun and you get to shoot .22lr

if it doesn't... then i dunno? buying a new pistol to shoot a cheaper round seems redundant since you can't afford to buy ammo in the first place.

Bongos
05-05-2011, 6:53 PM
I decided against buying a .22LR pistol at this point because it's not worth it over buying the same amount in ammo for a centerfire round. If I shot more it would be worth it, but the amount I'd have to shoot to "break even" with buying a .22 pistol and ammo would be enough to let me shoot the centerfire round for over a few years.

Really? you can buy a used Ruger MKII PPT for about $250 + dros = $285
you can find 22lr in Classified for around $14-$15 a brick of 500rd

Gun with 500 rounds for $300, additional bricks under your discression. When you 9mm, 40, or 45acp, how many rounds in a setting. To be fair, shoot the same number in 22LR.. in no time it will meet your needs

Most fall to forget with the lethality of the 22lr, it is still the number one caliber in the whole world which kills more People each year than all of the current conflicts put together......

Lastly, look into reloading...
used RCBS single press $65-$85
used calipers $10
Powder... $10 a pound from Calguns Classified for 9mm it will do +1600 rounds per pound of powder
Bullets.. 500 for $35-$50 depending on what you get
Primers.. $20 per 1,000
Brass... Free... you already have
Electronic scale.. $25

BigBronco and DenverDuck can set you up... BigBronco will even show you how to reload..providing you take him out to lunch (just kidding)... I know he has a few set up just hasn't listed them yet LOL

so for about $180-$200, you can load at least 1,000 with powder left over

BayAreaShooter
05-05-2011, 7:04 PM
Hey if you don't want to shoot .22's than more for me. I'm a .22 addict. I like going to the range and shooting for 5+ hours for $20 or less. I will also bring a higher caliber gun and switch between the two.

Kerplow
05-05-2011, 7:10 PM

what were your reasons for bad mouthing 22lr? you pretty much already answered why it might be a good idea to own one, but, in the spirit of this thread i will add another: 22lr is great for noobs and beginners. you may not want to start a timid newcomer off with something that is very loud or has a violent recoil. get them hooked on something tame, their thirst for more power will follow in time.

PandaLuv
05-05-2011, 7:19 PM
^^^^
I got hooked on .40 and .45 when I started. Maybe that's why I can't make myself to like .22s

b18bturboek9
05-05-2011, 8:12 PM
I find myself bringing my M&P 15-22 everytime I hit the rifle or pistol range. I love the fact that even though I cant shoot my center fire rifles at the indoor/pistol range, at least I can take the 15-22 with me and still have fun. For me its more of a convenience and fun to shoot. I really don't care what caliber it is, as long as it shoots and its accurate then I'm sold. Down side is having to many calibers not enough ammo, luckily .22 ammo is cheap so works out perfect.

I have some friends that think .22's are lame and dont care much for it, which is ok different strokes for different folks.

mossy
05-05-2011, 8:24 PM
i have a butlercreek folding stock on my 10/22 with detachable magazines. when i shoot it i can pretend i am living in a free state.

MaHoTex
05-05-2011, 8:40 PM
Just like many others have already said, I always bring a 22 pistol and rifle with me to the range. I can sit there all day and it costs me $20. I can shoot those between centerfire to give myself a break from the noise and recoil. It is just plain fun and way cheap. I really like shooting my XD and my AR, but sometimes just breaking out the Sig Mosquito, M&P15-22 or the Marlin 795 is just what I need. I think I actually like shooting the M&P15-22 as much, or more, than the .223 AR. Plus the added bonus of not chasing brass, or worrying about the cost of each the trigger pull.

davek8s
05-05-2011, 8:58 PM
Panda, you remind me of all the guys at the range with there new super cool ar's. That give me crap about always shooting a 10/22. They spend 50 cents a shot, to make a target look like it was hit with bird shot. But there guns go bang louder than mine. Mean while my lil 10/22 shoots 5 shot dimes all day.

Sounds to me like going bang loud is more important than shooting good to you. What I get shooting 500 rounds through my S&W 617 is like 500 rds through my S&W 686. But its way cheaper.

TheDeej
05-05-2011, 9:01 PM
What I get shooting 500 rounds through my S&W 617 is like 500 rds through my S&W 686. But its way cheaper.

I wants a rimfire revolver toooooooooooo

MongooseV8
05-05-2011, 9:01 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh have you ever shot a 22lr? Many shooters stop shooting other calibers once they get a decent 22lr something. It has its own funness to it that can only be understood after you buy one and get through a brick of ammo in a couple hours.

Being able to blast away all day long for like $30 is all the reason a person of sound mind needs to buy a 22lr firearm.

rojocorsa
05-05-2011, 9:15 PM
There is some kind of innate funness to rimfires.

And for most us, it's like an allusion to our first time. I think it's say to say that the first gun that most people have shot was in .22. I'll never forget that summer day in scout camp, back when I was 11. I wasn't the best at shooting, but I had fun. Eventually I realized the discipline aspect of it.

The sweet smell of gun powder from that first time will forever be with me.

Tank 57
05-05-2011, 9:30 PM
I don't think I can add much other than my own opinion.Started with .22,left it behind for black rifles and .45s and 9mms.Came back to .22 and combined it with my other "loves".Just adds to my enjoyment.

daybreak
05-05-2011, 9:39 PM
besides being cheap to shoot and good practice, it really is just flat out FUN to shoot.

Buy a cheap .22LR rifle, like a marlin 795 or a ruger 10/22, and you'll fall in love with how accurate and fun to shoot they are.

capitol
05-05-2011, 9:40 PM
Dont do it!!

22LR doesn't make that loud bang noise when you pull the trigger and all the other shooters will laugh at you like this :smilielol5:

Bigtwin
05-05-2011, 9:48 PM
OP you already know the answer! You either can use the info given or not! If .22 is not for you then don't do it, if the .22 is something you may enjoy then go for it! Nobody can change your mind for you.

But DAMN you are dragging this one out!

Coded-Dude
05-05-2011, 9:52 PM
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/bigthaiboy/ar007.jpg

fishnbeer
05-05-2011, 9:55 PM
dont read too deeply into it man, its just forkin' fun!

USMC VET
05-05-2011, 10:09 PM
You know what bro, I feel ya a little bit. I was there when I first got hooked on .40 and 45 cuz it just didn't have the power I thought shooting was all about....and then I started realizing how much a range trip cost so I thought about it but didn't commit...and then I was given a p22, 16.99 for 500 rnds blew my mind. I was out there all day.....and then I found the 10/22 and gsg. Got hooked brother. Don't strike it off your board all together just give it time. Like an acquired taste man. Give it time and you'll not worry a bit about $ when squeezing off 10rnds rapid fire. Trust me I always felt the way you do about 9mm, now I want a CZ :-)

biloutkast
05-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Can't go wrong with a Noisy Cricket.
http://roadmonster.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/agent-k.jpg

M4rk
05-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Can't go wrong with a Noisy Cricket.
http://roadmonster.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/agent-k.jpg

hahahaha i was thinkin the same thing wen i was reading down the thread.

panda, u dont have to shoot 22lr if u dont want to. u can go bankrupt ur pockets shooting .223s. or not, if u have alot of $$$. but maybe u should try shooting one if u havent. jus sayin'.

Joe
05-05-2011, 11:30 PM
I'd love to shoot .308 and .45 all day long, but I cannot afford it. So .22 is the best choice.

Dead*Reckoned
05-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Panda, how much do you shoot? Once every two months? Every two weeks? 3 Days a week? If you do any amount of high volume shooting, you need a .22 to feel better about yourself, I don't bring .22's along on every range trip because they make big booms and lots of recoil, I bring .22's so I can shoot 1000's of rounds every week and not feel guilty about spending money. I tend to bring 3-4 new shooters around every time I shoot, so it is also a great way for them to learn, without breaking the budget... after all, I don't want to buy expensive ammo and have other people shoot it.

SoCal Bob
05-05-2011, 11:46 PM
One of these days you may wish to introduce someone to the hobby. I always start a new shooter out with a .22 rifle and then let them decide if they want to try higher calibers. Some want to try out other calibers and enjoy them while others will try the next step up and then say they want to go back to the .22.

Someone shooting and enjoying a .22 is more important to the hobby than someone who starts of with a .40 or.45 that has all their negative views of firearms reinforced.

M4rk
05-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Panda, how much do you shoot? Once every two months? Every two weeks? 3 Days a week? If you do any amount of high volume shooting, you need a .22 to feel better about yourself, I don't bring .22's along on every range trip because they make big booms and lots of recoil, I bring .22's so I can shoot 1000's of rounds every week and not feel guilty about spending money. I tend to bring 3-4 new shooters around every time I shoot, so it is also a great way for them to learn, without breaking the budget... after all, I don't want to buy expensive ammo and have other people shoot it.

on that last part u said, is very true. i cant imagine letting my friends shoot .223s all day with my hard earned $$$. but with the .22lr, im koo with it.

triplestack3
05-06-2011, 12:19 AM
$40 for 100 rounds of 45ACP
$40 for 1000 rounds of 22LR
Big difference in trigger time

CmpsdNoMore
05-06-2011, 4:27 AM
Really? you can buy a used Ruger MKII PPT for about $250 + dros = $285
you can find 22lr in Classified for around $14-$15 a brick of 500rd

My situation right now is this. I don't currently own any handgun, I was unemployed for 3 months just after getting married and was literally down to $50 in my bank account. I can't afford one pistol, let alone a .22 and a centerfire.

If it came down to buying a .22 and using ammo I already have and buying a centerfire which would serve me better in an SD (yes, .22 can be lethal but I'd prefer something larger), I'd have to go with the centerfire.

I have the opportunity to shoot maybe once a month (haven't shot since October), if I'm lucky and actually have the free time. To me, the money would be better served in getting more time in with the pistol I would be using the most if I needed one for self defense.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I'd love to own a .22 handgun, the only rifle I would never get rid of is my 10/22. But, when you have no money, $300 is a ton of money.

pennys dad
05-06-2011, 6:33 AM

Um, AKs dont appeal to me and I dont worry about it and I dont buy any. I would say dont worry and leave the ammo for the rest of us

Kryptyde
05-06-2011, 9:15 AM
Dont do it!!

22LR doesn't make that loud bang noise when you pull the trigger and all the other shooters will laugh at you like this :smilielol5:

Any raised truck drivers who dont offroad that should choose to laugh at me will find themselves biting their tongues when i clip the cap off that plastic bottle that they cant seem to hit with their 'loud bang' guns.:43:

Dion
05-06-2011, 9:29 AM

Why would anybody get into tomahawk or knife throwing or crossbows?

Because they are fun.

If the .22lr is not going to be fun for you, don't get into them. :)

If you need to find justification for having one from outsiders, maybe it's not in the cards for you - any normal, sane person won't fault you for that. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing - move on. :)

Low-Pressure
05-06-2011, 9:46 AM
working really hard to hit that 1k post huh :rolleyes:
:troll::yawn::troll:

MrPlink
05-06-2011, 1:47 PM
take your macho sig and get out shot by a mediocre shooter with a wimpy .22 then you can decide how lame they are.

IPSICK
05-06-2011, 1:54 PM
working really hard to hit that 1k post huh :rolleyes:
:troll::yawn::troll:

I'm doing my best but I've been around 5+ years and can only get to 800+.

PandaLuv practices his trigger finger by pressing on a keyboard to get to 1000 posts in the span of 4 months.

RollingCode3
05-06-2011, 2:50 PM
I'm doing my best but I've been around 5+ years and can only get to 800+.

PandaLuv practices his trigger finger by pressing on a keyboard to get to 1000 posts in the span of 4 months.

We both joined at the same time and i only have a few hundred posts more than you.

To answer the OP's question "Why the hell should I?" Why are you asking us why? You already made up your mind. :rolleyes:

IPSICK
05-06-2011, 3:06 PM
We both joined at the same time and i only have a few hundred posts more than you.

To answer the OP's question "Why the hell should I?" Why are you asking us why? You already made up your mind. :rolleyes:

Only a few hundred? Looks almost double to me. ;) Not that it matters.

Anyways, in a serious response to the OP, he needs to ask himself if he's the kind of enthusiast that just wants guns to see how big of a boom he can make at the end of his hands or does marksmanship and skills matter to him.

If the former then by all means buy the biggest calibers you can and enjoy them as paperweights because you can't afford ammo for it. If the latter, appreciate what practice with 22lr offers you and do dry-fire drills in earnest.

Trust me this guy does a lot of dry-fire work:

lLk1v5bSFPw

xs2k
05-06-2011, 3:12 PM
lLk1v5bSFPw

I have to try this!!! Lucky for us 22LR lovers, it wouldn't cost so much.

surfNshoot
05-06-2011, 3:17 PM

Start shooting for accuracy and you will see why real quick. I started out the wrong way years ago. I got a 700pss and started blowing through ammo. Finally I realized I could get the same results shooting .22lr. I put the centerfires away for over a year and just focused on shooting .22lr and a lot of it. Finally I pulled the centerfires back out and HOLY CRAP they got accurate. Must have needed a break in the safe. haha. No, it was that I had pulled the trigger probably 10,000 times and actually learned how to shoot.

Get yourself a .22 go to the monthly rimfire match and make yourself a better shooter. unless you got $10,000 sitting aside for match quality ammo.

IPSICK
05-06-2011, 3:33 PM
I have to try this!!! Lucky for us 22LR lovers, it wouldn't cost so much.

Just to let you know, that guy is shooting .45ACP. I'm just using him as an example of what learning the fundamentals will lead you to.

Danforth
05-06-2011, 3:41 PM
Don't forget shooting sports. .22's are an affordable way to start and, the skills and fundamentals developed and reinforced will translate to the centerfire competitions. Keep in mind also that many of the top competitors practice with and shoot .22's competitively.

Horta
05-06-2011, 9:23 PM

If 22s donít appeal to you, donít get one. If thatís how you feel, it would be a waste of money for you.