PDA

View Full Version : 1st puchase...got an address problem.

titleistek
05-05-2011, 12:04 PM
I want to apologize if this is not the correct place to post this.

Planning to buy my first 1911 tomorrow. Got my California DL with a San Francisco address on it. No utility bill from SF. No lease, no property deed. However, I got a utilities bill of where I live now, different city, different address than SF. No vehicle registration due to it being registered under a business name. Got the HSC card already.

Will this address issue be an issue? If so any advise on correcting this issue?
Can I simply write my new address on the back of my DL to match the utility bill?
Any advise would be great!

hcheese35
05-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Well I went through this problem and Yes it is an issue if your DL doesnt match your current address, but then again your Vehicle registration would of help too if you had your current address on it and if you go get your DL renewed and correct be prepared to wait weeks if not months for it if they are still back logged. ( This is from the OC area stores that I went to)

McTerry
05-05-2011, 1:14 PM
Go to the DMV and wait in line to change your address, they issue you a address update card to carry with your license.

techshot
05-05-2011, 1:34 PM
Go to the DMV and wait in line to change your address, they issue you a address update card to carry with your license.

From my exp they wont take the "brown card" as proof. But if you get it changed at the DMV you can get a Customer Query Report on yourself and you should be golden.

SGGear
05-05-2011, 1:37 PM
I ran into the same problem.. Call the DMV and find out whats required to change the address (dont fill the app online). then go to the DMV and they ll give you a card that you can carry with your license.. Now.. some FFL will accept the brown card as long as your DL is current. It all depends on which FFL you go to. If your DL is expired .. then you have to wait til you get a new DL.

PandaLuv
05-05-2011, 1:38 PM
Change your adress online, takes 24hr hours, then go to DMV just ask for the "change of address card" (not the form) and you are good to go.

SGGear
05-05-2011, 1:40 PM
Also, depends on the FFL but they let me start the DROS with the DL (old address) with additional proof of current bill with new address. Just make sure you bring ur updated info when you pick it up.

BayAreaShooter
05-05-2011, 1:42 PM
I recently called a local gun shop because a friend has the same issue as you are describing. I was told that as long as the second for of ID (Vehicle registration, Lease agreement, ect) has your current address you are good to go. I would call your local gun store that you will be doing to purchase at and ask them personally.

Bull's_eye
05-05-2011, 3:02 PM
I changed my address on the DMV website, and my license still has my old address. I have done 2 DROS since then, and what I did was just went to the dmv and asked for a printout of my driving record. It shows my new address, and date it was changed. They accepted it both times as valid proof.

kelley_aj
05-05-2011, 3:11 PM
Just put a sticker on the back of your DL, this is the only requirement until you renew it, bring your reg. from your vehicle and a utility bill that show your new address and you should be good to go. I did dros on 2 pistols in the last 2 months that way at 2 differrrent FFLs.

Mickey D
05-05-2011, 8:17 PM
I changed my address on the DMV website, and my license still has my old address. I have done 2 DROS since then, and what I did was just went to the dmv and asked for a printout of my driving record. It shows my new address, and date it was changed. They accepted it both times as valid proof.

No need to go to DMV. Once you change your address online, you can also request a copy of your driving record online and print it out. Cost is $3.00. It will have your new address listed.
Might wait a day for it to process.

McTerry
05-06-2011, 2:18 AM
No need to go to DMV. Once you change your address online, you can also request a copy of your driving record online and print it out. Cost is $3.00. It will have your new address listed.
Might wait a day for it to process.

I had no idea you could print out your own driving record. Hot damn, learn something every day. Thanks!