PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 misfire - need some help

Fiveohmike
05-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Hey Guys,

From everything I can tell my AR has startd to short stroke when fired. Doesnt matter the type of ammunition, it just does not catch around after firing. The bolt goes back and forward without picking up a round.

However, if you rack it manually all the way back, it catches a round without an issue and fires normally, but wont catch the second round.

This is a 16" barrel with carbine length gas system. The gun was working without issue for about 200rnds then this started.

Any thoughts?

Mike

mif_slim
05-05-2011, 11:26 AM
First, check if your gun is running dry. If it is, oil it up and shoot it..then check the gas tube and gas block. Either the gas block is loose and must of misalign or crud built up in the tube (I've never had this problem..just guesstimating)...give it a shot.

Fiveohmike
05-05-2011, 11:28 AM
First, check if your gun is running dry. If it is, oil it up and shoot it..then check the gas tube and gas block. Either the gas block is loose and must of misalign or crud built up in the tube (I've never had this problem..just guesstimating)...give it a shot.

Ah i totally forgot to check the gas tube!, ill give it a shot. Ill take it back up to the range and run it real wet and see if that helps as well if the gas tub checks out

MacDime
05-05-2011, 11:30 AM
heck yea run that thing real wet.

Fiveohmike
05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I just checked the bolt, and its actually fairly dry....I may be the dumbass :(

PuppY_K1ck3R
05-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Still post up if it is Im curious to know.

jasonnorcal
05-05-2011, 1:05 PM
It could be the gas key on top of the bcg is coming loose too

Fiveohmike
05-05-2011, 1:20 PM
Still post up if it is Im curious to know.

I am going to hit the range tommorow, but I ran my finger over the carrier and no oil came off on my finger, not even a little residue...kinda wierd, I would like to know where my oil went....

Fiveohmike
05-07-2011, 6:32 PM
Just an update, it was not a lubrication issue. The problem was the gas key assembly bolts were backing loose. I bought the bolt at a gunshow, so I now think its as pieces of crap. I tightened them, but cannot lock them in place. Just to test, I fired 20 rounds and they fired perfectly. Next mag the first shot fired, the bolt short stroked. Take bolt out and the gas key bolts are backed out a little again

Anyways threw that bolt in the trash, just ordered a DPMS Chrome lined bolt carrier assemblie from Sinclair's (only one who seemed to have bolts in stock *shrug*.

Cant wait to get the new one, the chrome lined will give a little bling to the zombie killer :)

ciscosixgun
05-07-2011, 6:39 PM
Dude don't throw that bolt away. I will take it just PM me.

Fiveohmike
05-07-2011, 6:41 PM
Already junked it :/ It was just one of those things, if I dont trust every part on a weapon I am not comfortable shooting it. So it went in the trash, and Ill get a known good part, get it staked better by a gunsmith and then fire away :)

dieselpower
05-07-2011, 7:38 PM
Already junked it :/ It was just one of those things, if I don't trust every part on a weapon I am not comfortable shooting it. So it went in the trash, and Ill get a known good part, get it staked better by a gunsmith and then fire away :)

wow... man there was nothing wrong with that BCG a torque wrench and some perm-a-seal wouldn't have fixed. A gunsmith could have staked the gas key bolts also.

its like tossing out a pair of $100 shoes when a $1.00 lace breaks. :cool2:

I would wise up quick on repairing your AR15, you could easily spend several hundred dollars a year replacing parts that only need proper maintenance to fix.

When your gas tube gets fouled and you are about to toss the upper in the trash and buy a new one. Give me a call, I'll pay shipping to my house. :rolleyes:

Fiveohmike
05-07-2011, 7:50 PM
wow... man there was nothing wrong with that BCG a torque wrench and some perm-a-seal wouldn't have fixed. A gunsmith could have staked the gas key bolts also.

its like tossing out a pair of $100 shoes when a $1.00 lace breaks. :cool2:

I would wise up quick on repairing your AR15, you could easily spend several hundred dollars a year replacing parts that only need proper maintenance to fix.

When your gas tube gets fouled and you are about to toss the upper in the trash and buy a new one. Give me a call, I'll pay shipping to my house. :rolleyes:

Wow man really? Butt hurt much? You dont know the condition the bolt was in. I bought it at a gun show, have no idea what make/model it is. The bolt key was not staked properly, there is a deep score line on the backside of the carrier, along with a nick out of the bottom part of the slide (which scored my hammer). I went cheap and got burned, and having nothing but issues. I dont trust the bolt, so I would rather toss out a "100 dollar pair of shoes when a new 1.00 lace may or may have not fixed the issue" to give me peace of mind when operating a lethal weapon. I mean if your all for shooting something you dont fully trust, when a mishap may mean killing you or someone else near you then by all means stand on your high horse and preach.

For me? 150 bucks is chump change when it comes to peace of mind when operating something that has an easy potential of being lethal.

Lostsheep
05-07-2011, 9:09 PM

X2

Wow man really? Butt hurt much? You dont know the condition the bolt was in. I bought it at a gun show, have no idea what make/model it is. The bolt key was not staked properly, there is a deep score line on the backside of the carrier, along with a nick out of the bottom part of the slide (which scored my hammer). I went cheap and got burned, and having nothing but issues. I dont trust the bolt, so I would rather toss out a "100 dollar pair of shoes when a new 1.00 lace may or may have not fixed the issue" to give me peace of mind when operating a lethal weapon. I mean if your all for shooting something you dont fully trust, when a mishap may mean killing you or someone else near you then by all means stand on your high horse and preach.

For me? 150 bucks is chump change when it comes to peace of mind when operating something that has an easy potential of being lethal.

Hello pot, it's me the kettle.

Fiveohmike
05-07-2011, 9:41 PM
X2

Hello pot, it's me the kettle.

Way to add something contructive to a conversation. You won the interwebz for the day.