PDA

View Full Version : K98 Mauser's

hefedehefe
05-05-2011, 9:23 AM
I stumble across one of these a few years back. It's a 1939 8mm nazi rilfe. What are these worth these days? I thought about getting rid of it, but it's kind of fun to shoot. Anyone else have one? Where is a good place to get ammo? Here are some pics too :D

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa44/smoothinoc/IMG_20110505_101827.jpg

SandDiegoDuner
05-05-2011, 3:34 PM
How much?

paul0660
05-05-2011, 3:39 PM
$300 or more. The Mauser boys will want a picture of everything, from muzzle to buttplate. Go to gunboards.com and ask at their K98 forum. Coulda been Hitler's rifle for all we know.

God Bless The Mauser
05-05-2011, 4:14 PM
Is it matching?

Dhena81
05-05-2011, 10:07 PM
I really want to get one of these I knew of a place last year but I forgot where it was I'm not going to spend a couple G's on one.

hefedehefe
05-05-2011, 11:01 PM
It is not matching

bloodhawke83
05-06-2011, 8:52 AM
i'll trade you my PS3 fat 60gb, with the 320gb hdd for it. ah ****, you're in Orange County.

gun toting monkeyboy
05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Coulda been Hitler's rifle for all we know.

Oh please. Seriously? Do you know how impossible that is? I know it is, because I have Hitler's rifle. The guy at the gun show told me so. It even has blood pitting and everything. And it was only $5,000+tax and a $200 DROS fee... :rolleyes:

As for the OP, I would check it out on one of the more milsurp oriented boards. Be prepared to post lots of pictures. They are fun guns to shoot. A lot of the surplus out there is hot and corrosive, so remember to clean your rifle with whichever corrosive ammo cleaning solution you prefer to use. I don't know if I would sell it, as you will regret it later. People always do...

m35a2
05-07-2011, 7:32 AM
Non matching, still fun to shoot! PM me if you are interested in selling it.

paul0660
05-07-2011, 7:48 AM
Oh please. Seriously? Do you know how impossible that is? I know it is, because I have Hitler's rifle. The guy at the gun show told me so. It even has blood pitting and everything. And it was only $5,000+tax and a $200 DROS fee... :rolleyes:

As for the OP, I would check it out on one of the more milsurp oriented boards. Be prepared to post lots of pictures. They are fun guns to shoot. A lot of the surplus out there is hot and corrosive, so remember to clean your rifle with whichever corrosive ammo cleaning solution you prefer to use. I don't know if I would sell it, as you will regret it later. People always do...

No, not seriously. I was trying to point out the difficulty of valuing it.

Jarhead
05-07-2011, 7:59 AM
It is not matching

what matches?

jinggoyd1967
05-07-2011, 8:33 AM
what matches?
For most German guns just about everything is stamped with the serial number. A weapon has a higher value if all the numbers on these parts match.

mauser98k
05-07-2011, 9:17 AM
nice rifle.

i'll start off by saying the code "42" on the receiver means it was made by Mauserwerke Oberndorf in, obviously, 1939.

to get a good idea what it's worth, more pictures/information are needed. you say it's not all matching. what doesn't match? 2819 (the number on the receiver) is the main serial number and that should be the number found on all other metal parts. the stock would have the number stamped on the bottom of the butt.

right off the bat i can say it doesn't appear to be your average Russian capture. it's got the original blue color (though very faded over time), no shellac on the stock, no electro pencilling, etc, etc. those are about $350 and under for standard rifles with no special markings. i would say it could be a Romanian capture (one taken by the Romanians after they were overrun by the Russians late in the war) but they usually butchered the swastikas on the rifle and yours has them intact. on the left side of the butt stock, if there is a serial number stamped vertically on it, it could be a Yugoslavian capture.

what stamps are found on the right side of the butt stock? there should be a few. the top will determine what branch this rifle was issued to. an eagle over "H" means the Heer (army), eagle over "L" means Luftwaffe (air force) and an eagle over "M" means Kriegsmarine (navy). the most common is the eagle over "H". next would be eagle over "L". below that stamp will be a couple others with an eagle over a number. for this code and year, it should have 2 eagles over WaA63 stamps.

is there an import mark? look on the barrel. if not, there's a good chance this was imported before 1968 when import marks became mandatory. if the only numbers not matching the rifle are found on the bolt, that's what's known as a "bolt mismatch". generally, these are veteran bring back rifles that were picked up out of piles of rifles surrendered by the Germans. the bolts would have been in one pile and the rifles in another. bolt mismatched rifles are worth more than Russian captures but less than an all matching bring back. about $750+

like i said though, more pics and info will help determine what you have and what it's worth

milsurp 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser) ammo can be found at AIM surplus: http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=42&name=8mm

and J&GSales: http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-for-rifles/8mm-mauser/cPath/12_45

Romanian and Yugo military surplus are corrosive, so clean appropriately

rojocorsa
05-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I'd totally keep that one. Nice rifle.

Yugo and Romanian ammo is the stuff to shoot but like mentioned, is corrosive. I say its the stuff to shoot because it costs less and will keep you shooting longer.

TiMe_1
05-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I have one that looks like it's been sporterized. I don't know much about it and can't ask the owner cuz he passed away. I still haven't shot it yet because I don't know if it's still 8mm.

mauser98k
05-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I have one that looks like it's been sporterized. I don't know much about it and can't ask the owner cuz he passed away. I still haven't shot it yet because I don't know if it's still 8mm.

post pics. if you have a set of calipers, you can measure the bore diameter and find out the caliber. or you can have a gunsmith check it for you.

hefedehefe
05-07-2011, 12:16 PM
9ZY7rI09JQo
This thing has kick

Flouncer
05-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Why the heck do people buy the cheapest oldest crappiest imported ammo they can find to use in a historical irreplaceable weapon ? :confused: Remington, Winchester Nosler and Federal all make berdan primed completely uncorrosive reloadable 8x57mm USA made ammo.

paul0660
05-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Why the heck do people buy the cheapest oldest crappiest imported ammo they can find to use in a historical irreplaceable weapon ? :confused: Remington, Winchester Nosler and Federal all make berdan primed completely uncorrosive reloadable 8x57mm USA made ammo.

Why not use the ammo it was designed for? They are not difficult to clean.

Btw you mean boxer primed.

mauser98k
05-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Why not use the ammo it was designed for? They are not difficult to clean.

Btw you mean boxer primed.

and money is a big issue too. say you buy a box of 20 rounds of new production Sellier & Bellot for $20. that's $1 per round

if you buy a tin of 340 rounds of Romanian surplus at $99.95 that's .29 cents per round

Flouncer
05-07-2011, 6:01 PM
Remington, etc are $28 a box. It is designed for that weapon, but with hunting bullets. Reloading lowers the cost down to less than $0.50 a round.

Have a phobia about using the word "Boxer". Thanks for the edit.

Ammo from a tin ?? :conehead:

You don't eat crap from a can, maybe your girl's cat does, but not your rifle. Come Awn !!!

Romulins are part of the Federation now........

Why not use the ammo it was designed for?

BTW the Wehrmacht used 150 grain spitzer bullets (Sierra, Speer, et al), not 198 grain bullets that the Romanian surplus uses.

paul0660
05-07-2011, 6:21 PM
BTW the Wehrmacht used 150 grain spitzer bullets (Sierra, Speer, et al), not 198 grain bullets that the Romanian surplus uses.

And.........you think that proves your point? Even if true? I have a footlocker full of various 8mm, and will never run out. Enjoy those dollar bills you are sending downrange.

mauser98k
05-07-2011, 6:58 PM

uhh the Romanian is 150 grn.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A8RS&name=Romanian+8mm+Mauser+150grn+FMJ+on+Chargers+34 0rd+can&groupid=42

the Yugo is 196 but was specifically made for the 98k, m24/47 and the m48

AmbientR
05-09-2011, 9:34 AM
I want one of these... anyone have some suggestions of where to start looking? id prefer not to have the typical rc.

TiMe_1
05-09-2011, 10:45 AM
My sporterized mauser

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/Layinframe4fun/RIFLE.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/Layinframe4fun/MAUSER2.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/Layinframe4fun/MAUSER1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/Layinframe4fun/MAUSER3.jpg

gun toting monkeyboy
05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
No, not seriously. I was trying to point out the difficulty of valuing it.

I know. I was just teasing about that. You get some real whoppers at gun shows though.

As for the "Why the heck do people buy the cheapest oldest crappiest imported ammo they can find to use in a historical irreplaceable weapon ? Remington, Winchester Nosler and Federal all make berdan primed completely uncorrosive reloadable 8x57mm USA made ammo." post, there are several reasons.
As the other posters have pointed out, cost is a major issue. New 8x57 runs anywhere from $16-40 a box. That is for 20 rounds. That would put a dent in anybody's budget. Another reason is that US loaded 8x57 ammo is anemic. Because there are so many Gew. 88s out there that have .318" bores instead of the more modern (read:1905 onwards) .323" bores, AND because there are so many people who can't be bothered to read warnings, AND because there are so many lawyers out there, US ammo is loaded way down. It has a .321" bullet, and is slightly under .30-40 Krag or slightly over .30-30 in terms of power. Instead of being a .30-06 class cartridge. If you have a Milsurp, and are willing to clean it after using the corrosive ammo, there is no reason not to go out and buy the much less expensive surplus ammo.

-Mb

Markus
05-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Nice rifle there but if you want recoil you should try a m44! Now thats recoil!

mauser98k
05-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I want one of these... anyone have some suggestions of where to start looking? id prefer not to have the typical rc.

Russian captures are a good place to start. they're $350 and under whereas an all matching veteran bring back (which i never recommend firing because if even one piece breaks it's no longer all matching) will run well over $1000

get a couple books and do some research because there are a lot of fakes and forgeries out there. particularly with SS rifles. and NEVER buy a Mitchell's Mauser. they're as faked as can be.

mauser98k
05-09-2011, 12:05 PM
My sporterized mauser

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/Layinframe4fun/RIFLE.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/Layinframe4fun/MAUSER2.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/Layinframe4fun/MAUSER1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/Layinframe4fun/MAUSER3.jpg

oh yeah. that's been butchered. no real way to restore that one, unfortunately. it has the original barrel on it though and i see no markings indicating a caliber change. should still be 8mm Mauser

TiMe_1
05-09-2011, 3:10 PM
oh yeah. that's been butchered. no real way to restore that one, unfortunately. it has the original barrel on it though and i see no markings indicating a caliber change. should still be 8mm Mauser

I just wanna shoot it a couple times just to say ive shot it. I inherited it so I wont sell it. It will just be a safe queen once im done shooting it LOL

Jarhead
05-09-2011, 3:50 PM
For most German guns just about everything is stamped with the serial number. A weapon has a higher value if all the numbers on these parts match.

what matches on this rifle

GDM
05-09-2011, 5:18 PM

Ha I got his PPK!

OP good rifle, go to our C&R section too. I got, well...when I started collecting and up to now, 2 k98s, and 7 other Mauser type rifles.