PDA

View Full Version : Sig 2022 .40 to 9mm conversion

bcpucky
05-05-2011, 8:38 AM
Anybody have personal experience doing this? Is it just a barrel swap only? Feeding problems with the 9mm rounds in the .40 mags?
Thanks!

aca72
05-05-2011, 8:44 AM
Check this...

http://lundestudio.com/SigProFAQ/I/6.html

Don the savage
05-05-2011, 9:46 AM
The 40 mags work fine with 9mm. I use them in my 2022 because they are cheaper than the 2022 mags and have not had any issues with feeding.

Low-Pressure
05-05-2011, 9:51 AM
I think you will need a new magazine for 9mm and a new barrel. It might be a better idea to wait for the sale at Turners or Ammo Bros. for $399 for a new gun.

Fishslayer
05-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I think you will need a new magazine for 9mm and a new barrel. It might be a better idea to wait for the sale at Turners or Ammo Bros. for $399 for a new gun.

^^^This. Either sell the .40 & buy the nine or simply have both.

I vote for both.;)

Not a big fan of "converting" stuff if it's not necessary...

Alarm Guy
05-05-2011, 5:05 PM
Doesn't look like Bar-Sto or EFK are manufacturing barrels for the Sig Pro anymore.

guitargeak99
05-06-2011, 4:19 AM
I have a 2022 .40 cal. I was able to find a new 9mm EFK Firedragon for about $135 - I swap out the barrel and use the .40 cal magazines. Shoots like a dream, I use the same recoil spring without any ejection problems.

buildingdoc
01-20-2014, 2:44 PM
anyone have any luck with converting the Sig 2022 .40 mags to a 12+ capacity using 9mm mag parts?

NIKSD
01-20-2014, 4:00 PM
anyone have any luck with converting the Sig 2022 .40 mags to a 12+ capacity using 9mm mag parts?

In California? 12+ mag capacity? Am I missing something?

unusedusername
01-20-2014, 9:15 PM
EDIT: :facepalm: now I notice this thread is from 2011... and resurrected with a question about mag parts compatibility

Magazines probably have to be changed also. Using 40 mags with 9mm ammo works "sometimes", depending on how sensitive to malfunctions you are. If they worked perfectly then Sig wouldn't make different mags for 9mm and 40.

My old post follows (and likely isn't relevant) but I typed it and am too lazy to just delete it. :p

Short version:

What is the purpose of your conversion? If it is simply range plinking, then find a conversion barrel and you are set.

If it is a "working" gun then buy a new top end. For a SP2340 it's cheaper just to buy a whole SP2022.

Long version:

Sigs lockup the barrel between the exterior top of the barrel and the front of the interior of the slide on the top against the little metal shape on the bottom of the barrel in the locking block of the slide.

This means the exterior dimensions of the barrel are very important.

Since a 9mm barrel is usually "thinner" on the outside then a 40S&W barrel, you can't just drop in a 9mm barrel into your 40S&W top end and have it lock up correctly. It will fire, but it won't be safe as you risk an out-of-battery (kb!) with each shot since it will never lockup properly. You'll also have really crappy accuracy.

Luckily there are (or used to be? check gunbroker) "conversion" barrels that have an outer diameter of the 40 barrel with a 9mm bore.

Those fix 1/2 the problem and will get you a safe lockup.

The other half of the problem is the diameter and measurements of the extractor relative to the breachface. A .40 extractor will "most of the time" extract a 9mm casing.

The issue is that you'll never get a .40 extractor to be 100% reliable with 9mm. It just wasn't designed for that. Swapping out the extractor isn't going to fix it either, since the position of the extractor relative to the breachface is different also.

Will it extract well enough for range use? Yes, according to most folks you only get a 1% malfunction rate.

Is that good enough for competition use? At least around here, most folks in the gun games don't have very reliable guns, so yes you can do that also.

Is it good enough for HD/carry? no.

Getting a whole new top-end is an easy-enough solution to the extractor issue, but good luck finding a new slide for less then the cost of a new gun. Sig does not sell the SP-line slides separately.

These are nits, but probably worth mention..

Swapping the recoil spring from the 40 spring to the 9mm spring is another step, but that's $10 and easy.