PDA

View Full Version : Is an FFL needed to purchase an air rifle?

unimog_88
11-27-2006, 5:11 PM
I am new to air rifles. My first question is, is it necessary to buy an air rifle through an FFL? I guess the answer is no but it needs to deal with some local/municipal regulations.

The other question are:
1) Is an air rifle rated 1200 fps considered as very powerful?
2) Is it powerful enough to "crack" a car window glass with 1200 fps?

FatKatMatt
11-27-2006, 5:42 PM
I bought a BB gun off the internet and had it shipped straight to my door a while back, that was 600 FPS. I don't know the state or local laws for this so you're probably better off asking someone else. In my opinion, however, anything over 1,000 FPS is probably classified as "very powerful". Don't take that as legal advice though, just an educated guess.

xenophobe
11-27-2006, 5:53 PM
1200fps will easily go through a car windshield.

Air rifles can be bought and sold without any licenses.

ts
11-27-2006, 6:19 PM
Uh... you see MythBusters or something and want to do your own experment?

Note: MythBusters on Descovery Channel just had an experment where they shot a BB gun at the back of a car window to see if it will shatter - the myth was that if you place your hand on the window - it will not shatter. Myth Busted!

JHC
11-27-2006, 7:51 PM
My Gamo rifle is 1000 FPS and can break car glass, go through 5/8 OSB sheating, chickens, as well as other neighborhood varmints. BTW the car was mine, I'm no vandal:)

grammaton76
11-27-2006, 7:57 PM
My Gamo rifle is 1000 FPS and can break car glass, go through 5/8 OSB sheating, chickens, as well as other neighborhood varmints. BTW the car was mine, I'm no vandal:)

Got tired of seeing 'em wandering the street, eh?

JHC
11-27-2006, 8:21 PM
Actually, I was doing some remodeling for an aquaintance and he kept crying about the neighborhood chickens getting in his backyard and crapping all over the place so I brought my Gamo by for him to try out. He couldn't do it and offered me $20 to get em, I accepted. Sucker, I'd have done it for free:D

Archenemy550
11-27-2006, 8:41 PM
Remington (?) makes an Airgun that shoots 1,600 fps

savageevo
11-28-2006, 7:19 AM
can someone put a link to various air rifles that can shoot over 1000fps. this might be a good other hobby.

Q
11-28-2006, 8:35 AM
i had a remington 7600 pump bb only and the other was a remington 700 break open pellet and dart made by crossman. airsofts are quite powerful also i had a tokyo marui mp5. they make aluminum airsoft bbs now.

for adult air guns beeman or gamo are good brands. i think baikal or izmash has a rifle also.

700fps is fine for small animals.

try the promethus pellets. they are plastic saboted with steel for hunting made in the UK. the us made darts/bolts are nice if you shoot from a distance you can still pull them out of the wood and reuse. check your local area to see if they are legal to use first. ;)

phish
11-28-2006, 10:55 AM
can someone put a link to various air rifles that can shoot over 1000fps. this might be a good other hobby.

It could get pretty expensive as well. The higher quality rifles made in Germany and England start to hover into the 700-1000 dollar price range because of the exchange rate.

Some of the air rifles that advertise at 1000 fps are usually chrono'd with super light pellets. Once you use hunting or field grade pellets, speeds drop.

I will say that the highest quality gun of any type I ever owned was the Beeman R1, which can be considered the "grand daddy" of magnum air rifles.