PDA

View Full Version : WTB Springfield Armory M1 Garand (Kern County)

McTerry
05-05-2011, 2:14 AM
I am looking for a Springfield Armory M1 Garand in its original configuration as per esthetics. Certain upgraded internal modifications are acceptable. This will be for my Grandfather who once carried one in Korea (USMC), so I would like it to be near to exactly how he would remember it.
Looking for well maintained and kept rifle, no rust, drilled holes, external modifications as per stock etc.

I'm not looking for a safe queen that has a blemish free original stock, just one that hasn't been mistreated for 60 plus years.

Location should be in Kern County unless you are willing to do a little driving as well. Bakersfield preferably, as I can't drag him too far from home.

Cost is set by you, I am not looking for a cheap gun and will not low ball prices that are set, but I also hope the same respect will be returned and not get replies from someone who has a M1 that is a bastard gun married over time by two different models, etc.

ejhc11
05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Have you looked at the CMP website? You will need a C&R license and be a member of some shooting club though, so forgive me if you already know. Only because they have the best deals on M1 Garands in very good conditions - service grade and up.

05-05-2011, 2:35 PM
http://www.thecmp.org/

As stated above, check out the CMP site. If you are not familiar with CMP, (Civilian Marksmanship Program) it is a Federal Government chartered corporation that was the direct replacement for the DCM (director civilian marksmanship) program that was run by the Army for years.

All of the M-1 rifles sold by CMP are the real deal, so you do not have to worry about getting a piece of junk built in someone’s garage.

I just purchased one listed as a “correct” grade. The metal is in almost new condition, and clearly has never shot. The wood is in very good to excellent condition, but does have a few marks and dents.

The above post was mistaken when it said you have to have a C&R license; no license, or State or Local permit of any kind is required. Check the requirement on the web site. It is much easier than you would think. It is a very simple application. It does have to be notarized, and you will have to join a recognized club. Most folks in California that are not already in an organized club simply join the California Rifle and Pistols Association for $20.00 by mail.

The total time from order to delivery to your home by FedEX is around 5 weeks. Yes, I said delivery directly to your home. No need to pay a local gun shop to receive it or go through any dros stuff.

Let me say one more time - - read the requirements on the site. Very simple, straight forward, and you will get what you are after.

The M-1’s in well-worn condition start at $495.00, going up to $895.00 for one with collector quality metal and new wood.

Tell your Grandfather god bless and Semper Fi , from one old Marine to another.

More on CMP:

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a national organization dedicated to training and educating U. S. citizens in responsible uses of firearms and airguns through gun safety training, marksmanship training and competitions. The CMP is a federally chartered 501(c)(3) corporation that places its highest priority on serving youth through gun safety and marksmanship activities that encourage personal growth and build life skills. Links on this page will lead you to more detailed information about the CMP and its programs.
Statutory mission. The federal law enacted in 1996 (Title 36 U. S. Code, 0701-40733) that created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS, the formal legal name of the CMP) mandates these key “functions for the corporation:

(1) To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;

(2) To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;

(3) To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.

McTerry
05-06-2011, 3:09 AM
Thank you both very, very much, that is simply perfect!