PDA

View Full Version : 1st gun for a 7 yr old ?

Fireguy
05-05-2011, 1:19 AM
I want to get a rifle for my grandson, would you suggest a BB gun or a .22? We have been practicing gun safety for over a year with his Nerf gun. I think he is ready to shoot holes in targets. I look forward to your advise.

G lock
05-05-2011, 1:49 AM
I suggest a ruger 1022 (.22lr) or something similar.

BOFH
05-05-2011, 2:02 AM
I would look here: http://www.crickett.com/

Ed_Hazard
05-05-2011, 2:05 AM
You might want to look into getting him a Chipmunk single shot 22LR, or a Cricket Rifle. Both should be availble from most gunshops.

http://chipmunkrifles.com/chipmunk_aboutus.php

http://www.crickett.com/

USMC VET
05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Why not go 10/22 so he can have it and adapt it for all stages of his life.

usmcchet9296
05-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Why not go 10/22 so he can have it and adapt it for all stages of his life.

My son started shooting at 7
a 10/22 is just too heavy to use
I got my son a Henry youth
its the prefect size for a 7 year old and we used it till he was 10
pass on the 10/22 get a Henry or Cricket
in a few years get a 10/22 and sell the other rifle or pass it along

zinfull
05-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I would also get him a red ryder. It is a good and safe gun to getting use to from a nerf gun. The 22 cricket is a nice gun when you are at a range and it will teach him to sight the target as he only gets one shot.

jerry

uxo2
05-05-2011, 11:56 AM
You might want to look into getting him a Chipmunk single shot 22LR, or a Cricket Rifle. Both should be availble from most gunshops.

http://chipmunkrifles.com/chipmunk_aboutus.php

http://www.crickett.com/

Chipmunk single shot 22LR, or a Cricket Rifle..

Exactlly......
He will become a better shot because there is only one shot.

Besides...the weight and length is near ideal

Ripon83
05-05-2011, 12:11 PM
For about $250 a 10/22 is a great choice. I'm assuming thats with all the bureacratic bravo sierra and such....It'll be a worthy treat for long beyond age 7....

I suggest a ruger 1022 (.22lr) or something similar.

guns4life
05-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Just pick something in the safe and title it "grandson's gun"...give it over to him when he turns 18.

My son "keeps" an AK in my safe...he's 5 months old. ;)

sephy
05-05-2011, 12:15 PM
The CZ 452 Scout may work. It's compact, comes with a single shot adapter, and can accept 5 and 10 round magazines when the time comes.

CSACANNONEER
05-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Chipmunk single shot 22LR, or a Cricket Rifle..

Exactlly......
He will become a better shot because there is only one shot.

Besides...the weight and length is near ideal

The best post in the tread!

mif_slim
05-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I can say the Cricket shoot pretty darn well for the price I got them at. (One at 80 bucks the other at 50).

Im sure your grandson will love em.

Super Spy
05-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I think a BB gun is perfect. My buddy son is 6 and his dushgter is 8, they both just got BB guns. He had to make a smaller LOP stock for his son to use as he had a bit of a hard time holding the gun up. Definitely start with a youth sized gun,

ICONIC
05-05-2011, 1:00 PM
I had a BB gun at six and was taught to shoot on that. I got my 10/22 on my 8th birthday and I still have it today. I plan to use it to teach my kids to shoot. I still take it out every once in a while and do some plinking with it. I am a big fan of the 10/22 and you can't go wrong with that

Rule .308
05-05-2011, 1:03 PM
I would recommend the Mossberg 1/2 Pint Plinkster. It comes with a single shot adapter and no magazine. You can purchase 10 mags for it down the road and it is grooved for a scope. I buy bricks of 22 Super Colibri at the gunshow for about $23.00 a brick. Start off with a single shot, iron sighted rifle shooting the 22SC rounds and ultimately transition to a scoped, 10 shot, bolt action repeater shooting full house 22LR. I picked one up at Turner's awhile back for $125.00

What I would not do is put him on a semi auto, too big, too fast.

There are a number of good pellet rifles out there but truthfully you will end up spending darn near as much for a good one as you will spend on the Mossberg.

Erin
05-05-2011, 1:22 PM
i saw a guy buying a pair of crickets for his kids at walmart. one pink one black. his kids were practically dancing.

single shot is the way to start a kid. bb guns can be fun if you have enough room to shoot at home.

motorwerks
05-05-2011, 2:22 PM
My friends son started going to the range with us at 4 he would pull the string and we would load the skeet thrower, repeat. At about 5 or 6 he got a 22 cricket-ish single shot and he would go through 500..... 1 at a time over the period of about 5 hours. So he's 7 now and has started in on a 10/22. This little guy is one of the safest shooters I have ever met but he's been going with us for almost half his life, and he just happens to be one of the most responsible 7 year olds I've ever met

ENVYGREEN
05-05-2011, 2:26 PM
my boy turns 7 this year and the cricket is still a little big. can't imagine the 10/22 for anyone that age

usedto
05-05-2011, 2:28 PM
Gamo.

motorwerks
05-05-2011, 3:06 PM
my boy turns 7 this year and the cricket is still a little big. can't imagine the 10/22 for anyone that age

Well His dad is bigger then I am and I'm 6'4'' 260. West is a strong kid and not a little guy. He doesnt do much standing shooting though. Almost all is bench rest style honestly. This 10/22 has been gone through and has a bullbarrel and the whole bit. My current 10/22 would be perfect. Tactical Solutions makes a bull barrel thats a Cromo center with a Fluted aluminum outer that doesn't weigh anything. My whole gun weighs less then the stainless bull barrel that I swaped it out for, and its a tack driver.

jimmykan
05-05-2011, 3:32 PM
What does the law say regarding who actually owns the 22LR rifle that you buy for your under-18 family member? Would one be doing a straw purchase if you buy a gun for a minor?

No such thing as straw purchases on Red Ryder BB guns!

(I don't know what I am talking about. ... Armpit Fiddlesticks Hummus!)

davek8s
05-05-2011, 5:03 PM
Buy him a 10/22 and bench it. Both my boys got a 10/22 and love it. Plus they never will out grow the 10/22. I looked at the cricket and chipmonk and thought "what am i gonna to with these once they hit middle school?"

j1133s
05-05-2011, 5:39 PM
I want to get a rifle for my grandson, would you suggest a BB gun or a .22? We have been practicing gun safety for over a year with his Nerf gun. I think he is ready to shoot holes in targets. I look forward to your advise.

Definietly a BB gun over a 22. Personally, I'd go w/ a watergun for a 7 yr old.

usmcchet9296
05-05-2011, 6:39 PM
Buy him a 10/22 and bench it. Both my boys got a 10/22 and love it. Plus they never will out grow the 10/22. I looked at the cricket and chipmonk and thought "what am i gonna to with these once they hit middle school?"

Not sure how old your boys are but most 7 year olds cannot hold a standard 10/22. My boy is 12 but when he was 7 I got him a Henry youth. The rifle was perfect for him and I could teach him all the proper shooting stances and he did them without struggling. Later I sold the Henry (not at a profit but neither did I loose money) and got a 10/22 with a TacSol barrel. I think he was 10 at the time and it took him a year before he could with ease hold it properly. Unless you son is a giant most 7 year old cannot hold a 10/22 properly and will not be able to shoot properly. Sure they can shoot, you could have them use a bi-pod, sandbag, or just hold it wierdly but they will not learn the proper shooting techniques. My boy can shoot great now because he learned the proper techniques from day one. You say that you dont know what to do with the smaller rifles once they out-grow it well buy cheap and sell to break even.

llamatrnr
05-05-2011, 7:35 PM
Or. . .if you never want to have to buy him another gun ever, either a 12 ga or .44 mag handgun ;) :D

Sorry, couldn't stop myself . . . .

freakdaddy25
05-05-2011, 7:47 PM
I have to say BB gun.

Everybody should have that memory of shooting their BB gun.

Reminds me of my Dad, the backyard, and some old beer cans;)

daveinwoodland
05-05-2011, 7:57 PM
When I was 4 I was shooting a benched M1 Carbine, so it depends entirely on the individual. Before that it was BB guns and single shot .22.

InGrAM
05-05-2011, 8:09 PM
1. Rossi pump .22

2. Henry Survival rifle.

3. Ruger 10/22

peterabbits
05-05-2011, 9:04 PM
i got my 9 yr old son a savage mark II with a youth stock two years ago. it has the advantage of having a 10 rd mag, but also is a bolt action so he has to slow down, work the bolt after each shot, etc. now that he's been shooting with it for almost 2 years now, i just put a 4x scope on it for him. saturday i'm picking up a 20 ga pump action shotgun as his second. as an FYI - my son does say my 10/22 is too heavy for him - he prefers his savage. YMMV.

tonelar
05-05-2011, 9:13 PM
My folks got me a Remi bolt action .22 when I was 8. I didn't have a magazine for it until I was 10.
Your better off with a single shot as opposed to an auto loader for teaching the basics to someone under 9-10 yrs imho.

38super
05-05-2011, 9:16 PM
Don't be afraid to shorten a wood stock, OEM or after markets stocks are available. I picked up a Blackhawk! stock for my son's 10/22, best 90 bucks spent in a while.

JamminJ
05-05-2011, 9:19 PM
I bought my six year old a .22 - Mossberg Half Pint Plinkster.

He also owns a CMP Special grade Garand but doesn't know it yet.

bob7122
05-05-2011, 9:33 PM
for a 7 year old i would recommend a .416 barrett single shot ... but some people don't like dislocation shoulder. phefff it just builds character . but if you won't get that then go with the CRICKET rifle .

Fireguy
05-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all your input. I've decided to get him a bolt action .22 for now. A boy can never have too many .22's, a 10/22, winchester 22 pump,Henry lever and a M1 Garand is in his future not necessarily in that order.
Now, I just have research all the bolt actions mentioned here. The Henry youth has been mentioned here a couple of times here, I've not heard of this before.

In the mean time I brought a Daisy Buck BB gun just because of its size.

sephy
05-06-2011, 12:51 AM
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-scout/

pennys dad
05-06-2011, 6:37 AM
any single shot, single load rifle. i know the boy scout train with some cz's and crickets

sd_shooter
05-06-2011, 6:39 AM
Thanks for all your input. I've decided to get him a bolt action .22 for now. A boy can never have too many .22's, a 10/22, winchester 22 pump,Henry lever and a M1 Garand is in his future not necessarily in that order.
Now, I just have research all the bolt actions mentioned here. The Henry youth has been mentioned here a couple of times here, I've not heard of this before.

In the mean time I brought a Daisy Buck BB gun just because of its size.

I say avoid the BB gun! BBs are inaccurate and ricochet since they don't deform. You're better off with a real pellet gun (.177) Maybe something like this:
(ahem, ditch the BBs they include...)

http://static.zoovy.com/img/zephyrsports/W700-H217-Bffffff/bb_guns/daisy/daisy_powerline_880_rifle_kit.jpg

The 22 was a good choice.

mkane
05-06-2011, 7:27 AM
I have to say BB gun.

Everybody should have that memory of shooting their BB gun.

Reminds me of my Dad, the backyard, and some old beer cans;) I'll go along with that. And the father should have that memory also.

haole_50
05-06-2011, 7:48 AM
I bought my son a Browning Buckmark when he was 8, for Christmas. My brother took him and his daughter (she was 5) shooting, and he showed them all the safety rules. They were both "dead-eyes" with the Buckmark. He still loves that one, but he's much older and wiser and has several larger calibers now. He can't wait for me to kick the bucket so he can have my S&W Model 10 38 spec.

BigKevLA
05-06-2011, 8:13 AM
Savage cub is another option.

Kryptyde
05-06-2011, 9:24 AM
CZ Scout would definately be nice ... its in a whole different league than the other junior rifles mentioned here.

It would last a long time and the accuracy of it will help develop some good shooting skills.

Low-Pressure
05-06-2011, 9:55 AM
Crickett FTW :). I bought one for my daughter when she turned 5 yrs old. She loves it.

rojocorsa
05-06-2011, 10:30 AM
If we're going with a semi (Personally I like the idea of single shot bolt gun)

But if we're going semi--why is it unquestionably always a 10/22? Isn't the Marlin 795 and basically the same thing--and costs less (even has a $25 rebate).

ejhc11
05-06-2011, 2:12 PM
Yes, a BB gun like a Red Ryder from WalMart will work and if you want something for the range I got my son a Marlin 915Y - single shot bolt action - easy to make sure the chamber is empty especially around young children.

The new version of the 915Y is the XT22.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XTY.asp

wkelley70
05-07-2011, 5:08 PM
I started my two oldest kids with a Henry Youth model single-shot bolt-action .22 lr. They were five and seven at the time.

It was not too long or heavy and they have done quite well with it.

Sanderhawk
05-07-2011, 6:40 PM
My dad got me a BB gun one my 8th Bday Red Ryder. Very cool. I got damn good with it. Its still in my moms house back east. If I ever get back there i`m going to pick it up. Its got to be a collectors item by now.

BroncoBob
05-07-2011, 6:50 PM
All three of my kids started with a Chipmunk rifle. Great beginners rifle. I still have that little rifle sitting in the back of my safe.

Eddie1965
05-07-2011, 11:05 PM
+1 on the Savage Cub! Both my sons started with this rifle.

762.DEFENSE
05-07-2011, 11:40 PM
My vote goes for a Ruger 10/22.

salazar44
05-08-2011, 3:38 PM
I agree that a 10/22 is too heavy. We already own a 10/22 that will be my sons when he can hold it properly without issues. I think most people dont realize how heavy a 10/22 is when its in the hands of a 6-7 year old.

I do like the crickett single shot idea. I wish I would have considered that the first time around. I may now be looking for one.

dwh100
05-08-2011, 8:53 PM
My son got a CZ Scout when he turned 6. He still loves to shot it now at 11. I like to shoot it too! Seriously accurate out to 100yds.

model63
05-08-2011, 9:33 PM
CZ Scout just picked up for my daughter, son and for the third and final bun in the oven :eek:The extra $80-100$ to me is worth as I think it will be in use for the next 10+ years. Everything is smoother on it from the lines to the taut but butter smooth bolt....Nice wood and the fact I could upgrade to mags (interchangeable for my eventual CZ 455 purchase) was a big selling point for me. Big boy toy scaled down in size but with respectable quality.

Cato
05-08-2011, 10:16 PM
The Cricket is an awesome gun. I wish I was small enough to enjoy that little thing!

Fireguy
05-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Is it me or do you think the Cricket tend to look like a toy. My concern that the grandkids might treat it as such. Maybe it is my age that makes me think of a rifle must be blued steel and dark woodstock. I was trained on Remington .22 bolt action with a bull barrel, that thing was heavy.
I'll teach the kids to shoot on a light weight bolt action. Before my original post I had no idea that there were so many that fit my needs. Thanks for the help, there is a lot to process.
Does any one know of a youth shooting program in the Eastbay? Back in the day when the Chabot Gun Club was in Oakland they a great shooting program. It was a junior NRA training program, is there anything like that now?

straykiller
05-09-2011, 12:16 AM
i think the cricket single shot or something equivalent would be perfect

Hyper
05-09-2011, 9:12 AM
Airgun, 10/22, or S&W MP15-22

rckjeep
05-09-2011, 10:51 AM
My son has a crickett Santa brought him last xmas, he loves it though length of pull is still a bit long. He's 6 by the way

Corky43
05-10-2011, 7:54 AM
Chipmonk or Cricket.

My son got a chipmonk at 7. Now at 16, he still likes shooting it. Kind of funny watching him shoot it as he is 5 ft. 6 in. now. I don't think he will ever get rid of it. It is just one of those keeper guns. He shoots matches with M&P's AR15's etc. but still like to plink with the Chipmonk.

Frosty
05-11-2011, 3:44 AM
At 7 years of age I'd suggest a pellet gun over a BB or .22 rifle. Pellets are more accurate than BBs but allow you to teach your kid the fundamentals of gun handling and shooting without the inherent danger of a 22. Single shot break barrel pellet guns also teach the kid the value of accurate shots. Repeat action BB or 22 rifles will not.

VazquezD
05-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I would go with this Marlin. Its cheap, bolt action, tube fed. Its also light. I got this for my daughter because i wanted a bolt action to teach her about breathing.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/22WinMagnum/983T.asp

Eljay
05-11-2011, 1:42 PM
Is it me or do you think the Cricket tend to look like a toy. My concern that the grandkids might treat it as such. Maybe it is my age that makes me think of a rifle must be blued steel and dark woodstock. I was trained on Remington .22 bolt action with a bull barrel, that thing was heavy.
I'll teach the kids to shoot on a light weight bolt action. Before my original post I had no idea that there were so many that fit my needs. Thanks for the help, there is a lot to process.
Does any one know of a youth shooting program in the Eastbay? Back in the day when the Chabot Gun Club was in Oakland they a great shooting program. It was a junior NRA training program, is there anything like that now?

You don't *have* to get the pink plastic stock - they have traditional options as well.

I'll probably pick up a couple of cricketts next time I'm buying something for myself and put them away for when the kids are old enough. People seem to like them and I definitely get that the single shot aspect makes it worth it for the kids to slow down and actually aim instead of just making noise.

Chabot still has some Jr. programs, and I believe so does the Optimist club range in San Leandro, but I don't know any details. They have websites though.

Fate
05-11-2011, 2:24 PM
Has anyone tried the new Marlin XT-22 series for kids? http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XTY.asp

BoonieGhost
05-11-2011, 4:10 PM
get him a 7mm Mag and call it a day!...j/k. seriously though. he's 7, I think he could EASILY handle a 22mag or 17HMR with ease...

When I was 5 years old i begged my dad for a BB gun, and he said over my dead body! So he gave me my Grandpa's old Winchester 22 LR Single shot and he said, " Any son of mine that wants to learn to shoot is going to get a REAL gun, not some TOY." Ill never forget that as long as i live, and I learned with that 22lr untill i was about 10 when i moved on to my first .223 and then to a 7-Mag when I was 12....

Moral of this story: get him started with something that he wont grow out of as others here have said. Give him a rifle he will love and cherish for the rest of his life and something he can pass on to his kids as well, and I really dont think a 17HMR is out of line for a 7 year old, as long as he has the proper guidance. It is an EXTREMELY Accurate and deadly round and it will make him an AMAZING shot and what a better way to teach safety, responsibility & conserve ammo too.

good luck,
-Boonie

Excelsior
05-11-2011, 4:38 PM
Single shot rifles are important. Not only are they very safe but they teach conservation of ammunition -- making every shot count. Lots of old single shot .22 rifles sitting in friends and relatives closets that can be had for next to nothing. If they are over 50 years old they don't even require any paperwork.

I started with a used Benjamin Air Rifle (A REAL rifle) and a used Glenfield (Marlin) Single shot .22 I think my Dad picked them up in the day for $30.00 for the pair in very clean shape.

They have places of honor in my safe.

BearWhoHunts
05-11-2011, 4:59 PM
I received my first bb gun several years after I had been shooting a 22lr . I was given an old browning semi auto but my Grandpa would only let me shoot it like a single action. It taught me about ammo conservation and how to work a semi auto action. At the end of the day he would usually let me put 10 in and try to knock down all the cans at once. A bb gun is fun but I dont feel it teaches gun safety and the responsibility that a "real" gun would. I was in charge of cleaning and the maintenance of my .22 which is something that my bb gun has never seen.
If I were to start a kid off today I would choose a bolt action rifle that could be used as a single shot. That gives the kid a little more variability as he ages.
Most of the kids I know that start with bb guns view them as a super toy not the gun that they are.

Just my 2 cents. Way to go grandpa - enjoy getting him his first!

jgraham7897
05-11-2011, 5:30 PM
My boys are 4 and 5 and I can not wait to start with them. At this point they are still playing with NERF guns. Unfortunately where we live there is no outdoor places to shoot that are close by. I have a Marlin 60 SS for when they get older but I need to start looking into getting them something a little lighter and single shot.

stix213
05-11-2011, 6:06 PM
Not all kids are the same. Some aren't mature enough for the safety rules to handle a BB gun until they get to college. Some could handle something bigger than that .22lr at age 7. So the OP should decide this based on his own appraisal of the child.

My 8 year old nephew is a crack shot with my GSG-5, shoots clay pigeons with his dad's 12ga Rem 870, and has a blast shooting my AR-15 prone with a bipod. The kid is also amazing with the safety rules, to the point I have stopped reminding him of them every time we go, where when we started I would remind him of them every time I was handing him a firearm. I certainly would not trust every little kid like that (probably not even myself at his age).

Excelsior
05-12-2011, 4:35 PM
Great reference for "kids'" 22's:

http://www.ocshooters.com/Gen/kidshooting/youth-firearms.htm

hatidua
05-14-2011, 11:37 AM
A Sheridan Blue-Streak (5mm/.22) is what I started out on and I think it was a worthwhile gun to begin with. Having to pump up each shot made me really concentrate on shooting so the shot counted. A great many rabbits met their demise due to that pellet gun!

Fireguy
05-15-2011, 1:16 AM
Thanks Excelsior for that link. Thanks to everyone who has posted to this thread, I had no idea that there were so many youth .22's choices. My plan is when i get him for the summer we go gun shopping. I'll have him try various rifles on for size starting with the crickett because that seems to be the lightest and move up the list according to weight and fit.
For all those that suggested semi auto's all his aunts and uncles already have that covered when he is ready.

Excelsior
05-15-2011, 5:58 AM
Thanks Excelsior for that link. Thanks to everyone who has posted to this thread, I had no idea that there were so many youth .22's choices. My plan is when i get him for the summer we go gun shopping. I'll have him try various rifles on for size starting with the crickett because that seems to be the lightest and move up the list according to weight and fit.
For all those that suggested semi auto's all his aunts and uncles already have that covered when he is ready.
A video by nutnfancy on one's first .22 Fairly good:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/search/0/k-9MZ0EperE

Toyman321
05-15-2011, 6:59 AM
My 2 year old already had an Anniversary Edition Red Ryder and a Ranger Youth .22 sitting in the safe. I look forward to the day that I can bring her to the range with us.

I learned to shoot in the Scouts, I've got fond memories of single shot bolt .22's.

Personally I would not give a 7 year old a semiauto, I was muzzle swept and nearly shot (it missed) by an 8 year old holding a 10/22 years ago on a ranch in Utah. He was shooting standing, got so excited he hit the steal plate he swung around to say something to he dad with his booger hook and the bang switch. I realize all kids are different, and all parents are different, but kids are still kids. Why take the risk when you can pick up a used youth gun for under $100 and then sell it later for what you paid for it?

Jayrad
05-26-2011, 1:58 PM
My .02. Definetly a bolt action 22LR. To address BB guns...I bought my older son BB gun when he was 5 or 6. Thought it would be accurate like the one I so loved as a kid. Wrong...my experience says the Red Ryder BB guns we have today are crap when it comes to accuracy. Then I bought him a single shot lever action .22. Nice little gun but it didn't fit him at all. Tough to teach accurate shooting techniques with a rifle that doesn't fit. He is 21 now and still loves to shoot.

I decided with my youngest son, 6 yrs old, that I would start him off right. What good is a BB gun if it's not accurate? Does nothing for teaching a kid how to shoot accurate. My parents and others suggested a pellet gun due to their better accuracy. Couldn't argue with that except, how many 5-7 year olds can cock a decent pellet gun safely? I shot a lot of pellet guns as a kid and know proper ways to cock them...easy to show a little kid but tough for them to get it cocked with muzzle staying in safe direction if they can cock it at all. So BB gun and pellet guns were both off my list.

Looking for a proper sized .22lr, I settled on the Cricket. Got it for him when he was five. It is light enough and easy enough to operate that he can shoot safely and accurately. We are able to walk through fields looking for squirells for hours without getting tired. And when he has a target to shoot at...he doesn't need a support for barrel. The accuracy of the gun is well within the range of accuracy for a young kid also.
I got it wrong the first time...but learned from experience and got it right the second time. All three of my kids love to shoot and are all first rate when it comes to safety. Always remember though, as safe as a young kid is with a gun, he is still a kid, so treat him as such. For his sake and everyone elses. I say that even with my 6 yr old being an extremely responsible and safety concious shooter. Sorry for the long post...

Ron-Solo
05-27-2011, 6:42 PM
I have both a Crickett rifle and a 10/22 for each of my grandkids. They are 7,5, and 3. The 7 year old handles the Crickett easily. The 10/22 is still too big for him. The 5 year old hasn't shown the maturity yet to go to the range and the 3 year old is a few years off, but grandpa is ready when they are. :)

Crickett makes adult stocks when they out grow the little one.

TheClap1
05-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Have you looked into the Hot Shot by Thompson Center? I'm going to pick one up for my son. It's a single shot .22lr and is made for youths. If you are near any Turner's you should bring your kid there and see how it fits.

BRANCHER
05-28-2011, 12:18 AM
CZ scout... nicer than cricket... and is very accurate... I actually have a custom cutdown bolt air rifle to start my sons (and a very large backyard that is good for shooting air rifles)... but have a bit since they at 4 and other is 20 months... Go bolt action for first rifle... semis later as they are more proficient... and you listed Tri Valley... (hoping you are talking about Dublin, Livermore, and P-town)... check out Musketeers at Diablo (Concord USI) they do both Rimfire and Shotgun... You'll not regret it...
See http://www.diablorodandgun.com/modules.php?name=Activities

Fireguy
05-28-2011, 8:27 PM
Thanks Brancher, I've never shot at that range usually go to Chabot. I think that I'll join the Diablo Club just to get my grandson into the NRA shooting program.

CSACANNONEER
05-28-2011, 8:35 PM
Last weekend, I fondled a TC Hotshot and I think it would be a great first gun.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
05-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I'd say BB gun and work your way up from there. I started out on the Daisey and worked my way up to the Remington Nylon 66, then the 410 single shot after that.

Although I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I'm currently building an AR-15 .22lr conversion for my 3 year old daughter. I do have the Crosman 760 pumpmaster, and the Daisey Powerline 1000 is reserve if she does not like the .22. The Powerline is one heavy SOB, 6.6lbs. May have to wait on double digits before she can get good at holding that one up.

KandyRedCoi
05-29-2011, 11:29 PM
im on the same boat

been teaching my nephew on a daisy lever action bb gun, he's almost ready to step up to rimfire

i had him hold my 10/22 and its still to big and heavy, he's only 8yo, so i thought about the savage cub...gonna figure out the LOP compared to his daisy so i can gauge whether its a good size for him or not

Fireguy
05-31-2011, 5:19 PM
How do you fit a rifle to a kid. I read about length of pull(lop), is this measured from shoulder to receiver?

KandyRedCoi
05-31-2011, 5:57 PM
butt of stock to trigger i think