PDA

View Full Version : Hi Point .45 ACP

NoCash4theRange
05-04-2011, 11:48 PM
I have to get 1 of these hi Point .45's to judge it for myself. Who and where in the bay area is selling these? They're look ugly enough but I think I want one of them. Input would be nice.

-NoCash4theRange

j1133s
05-04-2011, 11:57 PM
I have to get 1 of these hi Point .45's to judge it for myself. Who and where in the bay area is selling these? Dealers, not PTP. (Unless the price is right) They look ugly enough but I think I want one of them. Input would be nice.

-NoCash4theRange

I have a friend who collects in quantity, and even he does not own any hi points. Why abuse youself w/ crap when you can afford something nicer (even if it means saving for a few more months). A decent piece also keeps its value so you won't loose much if any when you sell it; unlike crappy stuff.

NoCash4theRange
05-05-2011, 12:05 AM
I have a friend who collects in quantity, and even he does not own any hi points. Why abuse youself w/ crap when you can afford something nicer (even if it means saving for a few more months). A decent piece also keeps its value so you won't loose much if any when you sell it; unlike crappy stuff.

Have you heard they suck? I hear mixed reviews. Solution is to purchase 1 myself. We'll see.

Chron
05-05-2011, 6:52 AM
I have 2 friends with the hi point c9. It seems reliable enough, but I can't get over how it feels in my hands. Not to mention the looks.

Therunningidiot
05-05-2011, 7:00 AM
The .45 is not on the roster. If you want a hi-point you're stuck with either the .380, the 9mm, or a ppt with someone who already has one.

Vacaville
05-05-2011, 7:34 AM
The Hi-Points are supposed to be reliable, but have very bad triggers and ergonomics. I wouldn't get one unless I absolutely couldn't afford a better gun. For the same money I'd find a used Ruger P89 or similar. There have been quite a few on CG over the past month.

Chris M
05-05-2011, 8:09 AM
I say buy it. Use it for a year or so, while saving up for a 1911. Then you'll come to really appreciate a quality gun.

USMC VET
05-05-2011, 10:17 AM
If you have money to blow and just feel like beating the hell out of go ahead.

bohoki
05-05-2011, 10:32 AM
you mean the 45 carbine?

NoCash4theRange
05-05-2011, 1:07 PM
you mean the 45 carbine?

No I meant the .45 caliber pistol. Is this 1 on a list that states it's illegal in Cali? If so let me know and I can stop thinking about buying it.

-NoCash

NoCash4theRange
05-05-2011, 1:21 PM
The .45 is not on the roster. If you want a hi-point you're stuck with either the .380, the 9mm, or a ppt with someone who already has one.

Thanks for setting me straight. I guess we have the answer to that question I won't be purchasing a Hi Point .45.

-NoCash

Chris M
05-05-2011, 1:22 PM
No I meant the .45 caliber pistol. Is this 1 on a list that states it's illegal in Cali? If so let me know and I can stop thinking about buying it.

-NoCash

It looks like it's not on the not unsafe handgun roster.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp

If you really had to have one, you could talk to the folks at Valkyrie Arms...but I'm sure after the cost of the barrel and conversion, it would definitely not be worth it.

morfeeis
05-05-2011, 8:38 PM
It looks like it's not on the not unsafe handgun roster.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp

If you really had to have one, you could talk to the folks at Valkyrie Arms...but I'm sure after the cost of the barrel and conversion, it would definitely not be worth it.
the hipoint are blow back designs and their barrels are fixed to the frame and cant be removed, so i think single shot is out of the question.

bsg
05-05-2011, 8:47 PM
"Hi-Point Firearms Forums" may be an interesting place for you to visit... to find out what some Hi-Point owners think of their guns.

Chris M
05-05-2011, 10:04 PM
the hipoint are blow back designs and their barrels are fixed to the frame and cant be removed, so i think single shot is out of the question.

I've obviously never owned one, and I've never had an interest in owning one. Considering the cost, I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever do a single-shot on a hi-point.

morfeeis
05-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I've obviously never owned one, and I've never had an interest in owning one. Considering the cost, I don't think anyone in their right mind would ever do a single-shot on a hi-point.
i owned a C9 (their 9mm) and it was a great firearm my wife enjoyed it so much she decided i should by another firearm and let her keep that one.

Anyway yeah to do a single shot conversion (even though it cant be done) would be flat out stupid as you could by a ruger P series for around $400.

whatpain
05-05-2011, 11:48 PM
dude i bought the .380 and it is GARBAGE. jams and double feeds on the first magazine. i put about 150 rounds through it that day hoping it just needed to work out the kinks. jammed till the end of the day. took it home and cleaned it. took it back to the range and now everytime i fire it the slide stops about 1/16 to short for the pin to contact the primer so i gotta reach up with my right thumb and push it forward like its a single action revolver. if i could go back in time and smack myself i would. save your cash and wait till you can get something better. the kicker is the shop i went to had some other great pistols on consignment for 100 or so more then the highpoint but i couldnt wait.

NoCash4theRange
05-09-2011, 4:34 PM
dude i bought the .380 and it is GARBAGE. jams and double feeds on the first magazine. i put about 150 rounds through it that day hoping it just needed to work out the kinks. jammed till the end of the day. took it home and cleaned it. took it back to the range and now everytime i fire it the slide stops about 1/16 to short for the pin to contact the primer so i gotta reach up with my right thumb and push it forward like its a single action revolver. if i could go back in time and smack myself i would. save your cash and wait till you can get something better. the kicker is the shop i went to had some other great pistols on consignment for 100 or so more then the highpoint but i couldnt wait.

This is my problem. I just can't wait. I think I'll test my patience and save a little and stop impulse buying things that aren't quality. We'll see how long this lasts.

-NoCash

evidens83
05-09-2011, 5:47 PM
I'd get one if the price was right(+-$100)

xSARSx
05-09-2011, 5:57 PM
i think its worth the buy. it shoots and its only 200 bucks. it dont look totally ugly. ive shot my friends hi point and the only down fall that i dont like is the trigger looks and quality. i got 2.5 to 3 inch groups at 20 yards. worth the buy, although i wouldnt buy one myself lol.

Spyder
05-09-2011, 7:45 PM
Just cause it's cheap and godawful ugly doesn't mean it's crap. I've got a C9 and have shot the holy hell out of it, tossed it out the window of the truck, thrown it at the water heater tank, dropped it in the river on a sandy bar and it has NEVER failed me yet. Haven't cleaned it one single time either, as I haven't gotten around to even figuring out how to take it apart.

Hell, it's the only pistol out of 6 that will fire the 9mm rounds I have where the primer is not seated all the way. The 2 Glocks, 2 Sigs and one H&K all fail to fire them while the HiPoint launches those little 115 grain fmjs just fine.

It's ugly and cheap and heavy and has a TERRIBLE trigger, but it sure as heck goes bang every time.

five.five-six
05-09-2011, 7:50 PM
I have 2 friends with the hi point c9. It seems reliable enough, but I can't get over how it feels in my hands. Not to mention the looks.

if you like a glock, you will love a hi point

gobi fish
05-10-2011, 6:48 AM
hipoints are great guns. they are damn near industructable and if you do some how blow one up you can get it fixed for free! there are videos on youtube and other then litterally hammering a bolt in to the barrel and packing it with way too much powder, you'll be fine adn even then it seems like a buldged barrel is the only thing really bad which happened. they shoot good and their triggers are better then some guns i have shot in the $500 range. not for bullseye shooting but if you gotta put someone down, it will do just fine!

NoCash4theRange
06-22-2011, 6:30 PM
See, that's good news. I'm going to get one some where down the line I just don't know when. Thanks for the input!

-NoCash

Just cause it's cheap and godawful ugly doesn't mean it's crap. I've got a C9 and have shot the holy hell out of it, tossed it out the window of the truck, thrown it at the water heater tank, dropped it in the river on a sandy bar and it has NEVER failed me yet. Haven't cleaned it one single time either, as I haven't gotten around to even figuring out how to take it apart.

Hell, it's the only pistol out of 6 that will fire the 9mm rounds I have where the primer is not seated all the way. The 2 Glocks, 2 Sigs and one H&K all fail to fire them while the HiPoint launches those little 115 grain fmjs just fine.

It's ugly and cheap and heavy and has a TERRIBLE trigger, but it sure as heck goes bang every time.

NoCash4theRange
06-22-2011, 6:32 PM
Love my GLOCK!

if you like a glock, you will love a hi point

Cyc Wid It
06-22-2011, 6:37 PM
Exempting a hi-point. What has the world come to.

morfeeis
06-22-2011, 6:41 PM
Love my GLOCK!
i like the grip on my C9 a bit more then my G19

Sanderhawk
06-22-2011, 8:10 PM
If you want one get one. I think people here jump on the its crap band wagon but in reality have no experiance with them so they don`t know. I am looking at a hi point 40 carbine right now and everyone is saying its a hi point its ugly don`t bother. Function over form i`m still getting one. Go out and get one.

VegasND
06-22-2011, 9:09 PM
I've owned a few of the carbines and they are pretty neat inexpensive rifles.

I've owned the .380, the 9mm, and the .40 handguns. They worked okay but they are large, heavy and feel clumsy to me. They are not nearly as interesting as the carbines. But, if you're on a budget they are the only cheap pistol I'd recommend.

Some day I'm going to get a .45 just to check it out and play around with it. I don't expect I'll much like it.

arsilva32
06-22-2011, 9:47 PM
i have seen the vids of them trying to blow one up. they beat the living crap out of it including hammering bolts in to the barrel, the thing just kept firing. the only way they were able to blow it up was to fill the entire barrel up with gunpowder and cap the end off.i was very impressed by how durable this piece is. not the best looking weapon but very indestructible.

NoCash4theRange
06-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Mixed reviews but most don't seem to like them for weak reasons. I still will try 1, I just won't rush in to it.

If you want one get one. I think people here jump on the its crap band wagon but in reality have no experiance with them so they don`t know. I am looking at a hi point 40 carbine right now and everyone is saying its a hi point its ugly don`t bother. Function over form i`m still getting one. Go out and get one.

NoCash4theRange
06-23-2011, 12:11 AM
I think I'll get this in .45 too

I've owned a few of the carbines and they are pretty neat inexpensive rifles.

I've owned the .380, the 9mm, and the .40 handguns. They worked okay but they are large, heavy and feel clumsy to me. They are not nearly as interesting as the carbines. But, if you're on a budget they are the only cheap pistol I'd recommend.

Some day I'm going to get a .45 just to check it out and play around with it. I don't expect I'll much like it.

DannyInSoCal
06-23-2011, 12:19 AM
My HiPoint .45 Carbine is a great firearm.

700 rounds through it myself as the second owner.

Mag swap is a pain in the azz with the BButton ( Thank a liberal ) -

But it eats all the cheap reloads I feed it - Zero issues.

Accurate out to 100yrds or so - Even with the crappy trigger.

Always goes bang - Fugly - And it irritates gun snobs.

What's not to like....!?!?!

Common
06-23-2011, 12:38 AM
I am also going to buy one. I had a friend who bought the .380 maybe 9 years ago and it never failed to go into battery. My brother and I are going to buy one to do a 2000 round challenge. I will post the results when finished. Will start end of July:)

chim-chim7
06-23-2011, 12:59 AM
They work just fine. Most gun snobs hate them for looks and low price. In the end they all do the same thing. They fire a projectile at leathal speeds. No worries on the HP, they have a really great warranty as well. Have at one if your inclined.

five.five-six
06-23-2011, 1:01 AM
i'd buy it, just think of it as the nicest glock in your collection

mwc
06-23-2011, 1:40 AM
I owned a HiPoint 9mm, I'll never own another.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn42/mc8850/hipoint.jpg

This is what I had after less than 300 rounds. Sent it in for repair, came back just like that, actually the picture was taken the day I got it back, when I took the gun apart to see if they actually fixed it.

JanG
06-23-2011, 1:58 AM
looks like they tried to glue it back together

although it seems not all hi points are crap
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hi+point+torture+test&aq=0&oq=hi+point+tor

i believe it's a four part video, but too lazy to find them all right now. my neighbor just got a c9 and been trying match our schedules so we can go out and shoot the hell out of it. :D

mwc
06-23-2011, 2:06 AM
They didn't glue anything, didn't even touch any of that area where the firing pin rides. The "tech" left a Post-it note in the box saying he "reamed the chamber, buffed the slide, test fired"

Never shot it again after I got it back, but when I did shoot it before sending it in, I was lucky to get through a 7-round mag without a failure to feed. Dozens of FTFs in the few rounds I put through it.

1998 m4a1
06-23-2011, 4:32 AM
I owned a HiPoint 9mm, I'll never own another.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn42/mc8850/hipoint.jpg

This is what I had after less than 300 rounds. Sent it in for repair, came back just like that, actually the picture was taken the day I got it back, when I took the gun apart to see if they actually fixed it.

sounds like a hater and a liar. hipoint would fix it, not just send it back!

chim-chim7
06-23-2011, 6:17 AM
I have a 9mm HP. I rarely ever shoot it, but it's not worth enough for me to sell it. I know it does work well and always has. I know I could trust my life with it if I had too.
Luckily with the amount of weapon choices I have the Hi-Point just gets no love.

mwc
06-23-2011, 9:52 AM
sounds like a hater and a liar. hipoint would fix it, not just send it back!
You bet your *** I'm a HiPoint hater, but I'm no liar. They earned my hate.

That picture was taken the day I got the gun back from 'repair'.

Not sure what else to tell you. Just sharing my experience.

Thanks though ;)

To be more specific, I actually sent the gun back to the company for a refund after speaking to the owner Tom. Instead of being refunded, the gun was 'repaired', and sent back. It's currently in a box waiting for a call-tag shipping label from HiPoint.

luckystrike
06-23-2011, 10:54 AM
should be "nocashforadecentgun"

NoCash4theRange
06-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Doing it!

They work just fine. Most gun snobs hate them for looks and low price. In the end they all do the same thing. They fire a projectile at leathal speeds. No worries on the HP, they have a really great warranty as well. Have at one if your inclined.

NoCash4theRange
06-23-2011, 10:28 PM
hahaha!!! I have a decent GLOCK that I love! One day I'll have some more very nice pistols but I'd like to see what this "cheap" gun is all about. Nicely put though....lol!

should be "nocashforadecentgun"

Cruznegao
06-23-2011, 11:54 PM
I'll be picking my C9 from jail Monday after 7:18pm @ turners in Fountain valley. It does impress me the amount of hate and discrimination toward Hi point. I just bought it cause most of my friends don't own guns and it will be nice to invite people to go shooting and having an extra gun.
And plus, for $193.00 OTD I just see it as a couple of nice dinners that will be forgotten in a few days.

luckystrike
06-24-2011, 4:27 PM
hahaha!!! I have a decent GLOCK that I love! One day I'll have some more very nice pistols but I'd like to see what this "cheap" gun is all about. Nicely put though....lol!

haha I was going to suggest a police trade-in glock, they can run $300-350

Webologist
06-24-2011, 5:55 PM
I'll be picking my C9 from jail Monday after 7:18pm @ turners in Fountain valley. It does impress me the amount of hate and discrimination toward Hi point. I just bought it cause most of my friends don't own guns and it will be nice to invite people to go shooting and having an extra gun.
And plus, for $193.00 OTD I just see it as a couple of nice dinners that will be forgotten in a few days.

Nice. Interesting the amount of hate towards the HP, but love towards the similarly cheap, reliable, non-ergonomic and questionable build quality AK-47. I think both are reliable for the same reason: the amount of mass when the slide/bolt moves forward is like a slide hammer. Whatever is in front of it is going into the chamber, even if it's the wrong size or malformed.

comblock
06-24-2011, 6:01 PM
I suggest if you want the hi point .45 in california that you call hi point marketing to put it on the california roster. It only costs them $200 per year i think. Hell i wouldnt mind buying a $200 .45 caliber pistol. Thats cheap as hell!

ElvenSoul
06-24-2011, 6:41 PM
I have owned 3 HiPoint Pistols and 2 Carbines with never a problem.

emptybottle151
06-24-2011, 7:49 PM
Get the pistol/carbine combo in 9 or .40, but you could do that with a beretta or glock with the kel-tec carbine.