PDA

View Full Version : Kimber vs. Springfield Loaded

Timmm
05-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm a couple of weeks alway from starting the hunt for my first 1911. I now own a Glock 30- 17- 26, been doing allot of online research an thanks to some of the generous people who have let me try there's at the range, have narrow it down to a Kimber or Springfield loaded, I'm going to use it as a range- target gun and I like stainless,also would like adjustable sights.

Could use some feedback, read a review the other day that Kimber series ll had some problems? My budget is about 1000- 1200.

Any help would be appreciated Tim

Ultimate
05-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Kimbers have great triggers. But here is where i have a major problem with them. They are pricey guns and they don't finish the barrel all the way. They get cheap and just do the top of the barrel hood and leave the bottom. From what i understand not all their barrels are stainless and a non polished piece of metal will take rust to it much easier than a polished piece. So it seems like to me that Kimber takes people's 800+ dollars and saves 3 dollars worth of time and polishing materials.

Penguin4091
05-04-2011, 10:15 PM
never fired a kimber but I have fired a Springfield loaded in a parkerized finish and I think the only negative about that gun is you need a hex wrench to take it down. Of course the Springfield I fired had the feed ramp polished and all the internals tuned. Great shooter. I think the kimber has less MIM parts though (there is some debate as to if that actually matters).

Cyc Wid It
05-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Kimber = Schwartz safety + terrible CS.

In before "Springfield isn't American".

jak77
05-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Loaded.

Great gun for the money, has a lifetime warranty, and comes with Springfield's top-notch customer service and custom shop.

I have one :43:

S dot
05-04-2011, 10:18 PM
:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

kTC xDEICIDEx
05-04-2011, 10:22 PM
^^^^ This! 

jimmykan
05-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I have come to realize that durability is a non-issue for most people, though they don't realize it themselves. The amount of ammo that you would have have to shoot through a 1911 to wear it out costs more than either a basic Kimber or Springfield Loaded.

You'd shoot something like $1500 worth of ammo before you have to change the recoil spring for the first time. I reload my own 45ACP and I have shot plenty of it and have plenty more left, but I'm still working on wearing out that first recoil spring.

Sunday
05-05-2011, 5:42 AM
Kimber??? 1911s are one of the few guns that the more you spend the better you get..Cheap gun with a consumer name and range toy or study up and spend more and get a nice peice that will last and last.

crazychinaman
05-05-2011, 6:10 AM
Depends on whether you prefer to be made in US (Kimber) all or them or in Brazil(Springfield)Except the Custom shop.Both are really good 1911's .I have three Kimbers and three Springfields.

Peter.Steele
05-05-2011, 7:35 AM
Take a look at the SIG 1911's.

I've had a Kimber, and I absolutely loved it, and a couple years ago I was looking to buy a Springfield Loaded but there were none available anywhere at any price. I got a SIG GSR instead, because that was what was available. It was cheaper - slightly - than the Springfield, and quite frankly it had better options. Yeah, it had the external extractor, but ... jesus, I can't think of a nicer handgun that I've ever fired. If my budget ever gets to the point again where I can look at a nice 1911, I'm going straight back for another SIG.

(Sadly, the one that I bought is probably at a crime scene in Mexico right now. It was stolen in a burglary just a couple months after I bought it.)

beetle
05-05-2011, 7:46 AM
From your requirements list I would recommend the Springfield Loaded Target in Stainless or the really nice looking Black Stainless:

Loaded Target Black Stainless:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/images/D/IMGP2467.JPG

Loaded Target Stainless:
http://gastatic.com/UserImages/94576/943716144/wm_2334103.jpg

All springfield 1911s have a significant amount of parts made in Brazil. Those with serial numbers beginning with "N" are 100% made and finished in Brazil and have a "Made in Brazil" stamped into the frame.

Those with serial numbers beginning with "NM" have a mix of Brazilian and US parts and are finished and fitted in the US. They have enough US value add that they can escape the "Made in Brazil" marking.

I have two 1911s made by Springfield. One is a "N" Made in Brazil and the other is a "NM" US finished. they are both excellent shooters and have held up for many many rounds.

without causing too much controversy, I'll just say that there has been a lot of discussion about the quality and customer service of Kimber.

BHPFan
05-05-2011, 8:04 AM
I never owned Kimbers. If I pick a Kimber, I like a Series 1 as I am not keen on the Swartz safety of the Series 2.

Regarding Springfield, I posted on another thread that the issue with SA 1911s is that out of the box NIB, it has quirks and issues in my experiences: An extractor that needs finetuning and a gun that doesn't run back to form after firing a shot. To their credit, Springfield has a top notch Customer Service, one of the best if not the best, that fixed those issues for my pistols. After those fixes, my pistols ran like champs without any issues.

With current production, I'll take a Springfield over any Kimber.

If we're talking about used guns, I'll take the Kimber Series 1.

corporateslave
05-05-2011, 9:25 AM
It took some work to make my TLE/RL II reliable, it had several parts out of tolerance. I am happy with it now but I will never buy Kimber again.

rodeoflyer
05-05-2011, 9:32 AM
:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

If it's not a Colt it's a clone! :D

Fiveohmike
05-05-2011, 9:36 AM
I went with a Kimber Raptor II Stainless and havent looked back. Put about 1300 rounds down range so far without a single issue. Didnt matter if it was brass, steel or my reloads. Not one misfire, and its accurate as all hell:

http://gastatic.com/UserImages/4028/995587337/pop_wm_2423435.jpg

M1A Rifleman
05-05-2011, 9:36 AM
Kimbers are made in the USA.

gumby
05-05-2011, 9:39 AM
Take a look at the SIG 1911's.

I've had a Kimber, and I absolutely loved it, and a couple years ago I was looking to buy a Springfield Loaded but there were none available anywhere at any price. I got a SIG GSR instead, because that was what was available. It was cheaper - slightly - than the Springfield, and quite frankly it had better options. Yeah, it had the external extractor, but ... jesus, I can't think of a nicer handgun that I've ever fired. If my budget ever gets to the point again where I can look at a nice 1911, I'm going straight back for another SIG.

(Sadly, the one that I bought is probably at a crime scene in Mexico right now. It was stolen in a burglary just a couple months after I bought it.)

Get the Sig!

tacticalcity
05-05-2011, 9:50 AM
Kimbers have great triggers. But here is where i have a major problem with them. They are pricey guns and they don't finish the barrel all the way. They get cheap and just do the top of the barrel hood and leave the bottom. From what i understand not all their barrels are stainless and a non polished piece of metal will take rust to it much easier than a polished piece. So it seems like to me that Kimber takes people's 800+ dollars and saves 3 dollars worth of time and polishing materials.

I picked up my Kimber used. It is definately an older Custom II. The barrel was stainless, and there is ZERO rust anywhere on it. The previous owner did shoot it, and didn't go to extremes to clean it. So in my case at least, your complaint didn't apply at all. I also only paid $600 on GunBroker.com. With a little flitz polish, I cleaned up the scuff marks on the barrel it looked just about brand new.

Where I would give the Loaded a nice nod is that it comes with night sights and an ambi safety. Kimber Custom II doesn't. The ambi safety is not that big of deal. Night sights would have been nice. But in the end, they are both excellent 1911s.

Personally I would NOT buy one new. You are paying top dollar for gun that needs to be broken in. But the time you are done breaking it in, it will look just like the used one that is $200+ cheaper. If you are patient, you can find an excellent deal just like I did on GunBroker.com. I wouldn't limit yourself to just Springfield or Kimber either. If I had not won the Kimber I would have gotten a really nice colt for just a $100 more. Instead of getting a specific brand or model, get the best deal on the nicest 1911 you can find. You will be surprised what is available.

I logged on every day for two weeks, before finding my kimber with a $600 buy it now. I was shocked. Bought it right away. When it arrived it was in 10x better condition than I expected.

One important note. Knowing what I know now, I would get an aluminum frame 1911 and not a steel frame. Both the Custom II and the Loaded have steel frames. They are heavy as a brink. Not a problem for bench resting. But for carry it is uncomfortable.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/IMG_0643.jpg

GunLover
05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Owned three kimbers. One springfield 1911. I now own one springfield 1911 and a colt 80 series

DArBad
05-05-2011, 2:04 PM
I'm a couple of weeks alway from starting the hunt for my first 1911. I now own a Glock 30- 17- 26, been doing allot of online research an thanks to some of the generous people who have let me try there's at the range, have narrow it down to a Kimber or Springfield loaded, I'm going to use it as a range- target gun and I like stainless,also would like adjustable sights.

Could use some feedback, read a review the other day that Kimber series ll had some problems? My budget is about 1000- 1200.

Any help would be appreciated Tim

I can only give you my experience. I've had 4 Springfields (1 ss loaded, 1 standard, 1 milspec, and 1 GI). Also had 4 Colts (3 1991s, 1 Double Eagle).

I've always wanted Kimbers because they are more refined. I refrained from buying them for many years because of the many naysayers. I've always bought brand new, but late last year I decided, the hell with the Kimber bashers, I want one.

I bought a very slightly used one here from a fellow Calgunner, the first used gun that I ever bought was a Kimber Custom II. It is by far, THE BEST buy I've ever experience in a 1911 type gun. The piece is well built, properly tight and there are no annoying clacking or rattling sounds the way you'll experience with Colts. The inside of the frame and slide are cleanly machined and finished, unlike the Springfields that seems made by Pashtuns in the Afghan border! I've since sold away my Colts and Springfields due to myriad QA issues, and will henceforth buy Kimbers.

In short, Kimbers are nicely finished, nicely fitted, super reliable, well made 1911s. That they are owned, managed, and run by fellow Americans are just icing on the cake. Get a Kimber, you will be very happy with it.

As an FYI, I was so satisfied with my first Kimber, I just bought my 2nd one last week: A Kimber Gold Match II. And now I am on the hunt for my 3rd Kimber: The Gold Combat.

gatdammit
05-05-2011, 5:19 PM
Kimber = Schwartz safety + terrible CS.

In before "Springfield isn't American".

What about the Super Carry(s) ... I heard those don't have the Schwartz. I guess any model without the "II". Truth or myth?

jeffrice6
05-05-2011, 6:20 PM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m302/jeffrice6/IMG_2391.jpg

Timmm
05-05-2011, 6:24 PM
Can someone brake down the problem with the Schwartz safety, whats wrong with it and can it be replaced?

I see a few members have owned both, can you compare both guns and say that one is better than the other or are the deferents to minor to describe.

As of now these two guns are where I will start. I know when I get out there an see whats available that things will change and I'm open to other options.
As I see it now the Springfield is a very good over all 1911, with good CS. but not made in the US. The Kimber is made in the US, bad CS. the series l is a great gun but the sris ll has some quality problems, barrels, safety and is not worth the same high price like the sris l. Tim

jeffrice6
05-05-2011, 7:35 PM
Can someone brake down the problem with the Schwartz safety, whats wrong with it and can it be replaced?

I see a few members have owned both, can you compare both guns and say that one is better than the other or are the deferents to minor to describe.

There is no problem with the Schwartz safety.... It has no effect on trigger pull (like the Colt 80's series) & if for some reason you can't stand it being there, it can be removed.

I have owned a Loaded & Kimbers...

The loaded I owned took alot of time & money (and a trip back to Springfield to get it right). Springfield has a lifetime guarantee, which is great, but chances are that you are going to have to use it!

Fit and finish on the Springer was not great (not bad) but for the money should have been better. Kimbers have been spot on! With my only complaint being that the Kimber thumb safeties are a bit loose.

Springfield uses stainless barrels while Kimber uses carbon. Have never weighed them, but the Kimber barrel "feels" heavier.

I now am down to just two 1911's, both being Kimbers.... Don't have anything bad to say about Springfield, but I have found that (dollar for dollar) there is just more attention to detail with Kimber. My only advice would be to personally inspect the 1911 before purchase.

jak77
05-05-2011, 7:42 PM
You can also find Loaded models that have the NM prefix designating US built. Not sure if those models command a premium.

jfa25
05-05-2011, 7:45 PM
Got a chance to test fire a Springfield when I was first looking into 1911s and wasnt too impressed with it. It rattled a little bit, the finish was poor, wasnt an impressive gun for the money. To be fair I did have an FTF issue with my first Kimber but only had to replace the stop and bam, after that it ate whatever ammo I put in it. Am on my 2nd Kimber and after 200 rounds have no issues at all.

tony2245
05-06-2011, 9:47 AM
I just bought the Kimber based on the knowledge that LA Swat carries them.

X-NewYawker
05-06-2011, 9:56 AM
Had them both. Kept the Kimbers. Grip frame on the Kimber is actually a little slimmer, which I like.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/handguns/IMG_1925.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/handguns/KimberAnswer.jpg

kgcabs
05-06-2011, 3:04 PM
Just shot my brand new Springfield loaded 9mm for the first time last weekend.

OEM mag, factory Win 115 ammo.....Every shot, I mean EVERY SHOT, failure to eject. Cartridge just slightly out of the chamber and the next round pushed up against it.

I called Springfield they said they would send out a fitted extractor. If that did not solve the problem they would issue a call tag for the pistol.

I find it very hard to believe the pistol left the factory this way.

707electrician
05-06-2011, 3:21 PM
I was originally looking at kimper pro-carryII in 9mm but started reading that there have been some issues with 1911's chambered in short action cartridges like 9mm and that is when I started reading about the EMP.

I have no experience with either but what made me go with the SA was that it seems like their customer service is A LOT better and even though the EMP is a couple hundred dollars more it was worth it to me for the lifetime warranty as opposed to kimbers one year (I believe) warranty.

tm_jones123
05-07-2011, 4:59 PM
Gotta love them both!!!!