PDA

View Full Version : Lubricants and solvents for Sig Sauer P226?

CrossedRifles
05-04-2011, 8:25 PM
I'm using EWL Slip2000 oil and EWL Carbon Killer for my Sig Sauer P226.

Are those fine? Or would you recommend grease for the handgun instead?

Some TW-25 came with the handgun, any of you guys use it?

GWbiker
05-04-2011, 8:40 PM
TW25b or Slide Glide work fine on SIG frame rails.

ArkinDomino
05-04-2011, 8:40 PM
That's good stuff... Lately I've been cleaning with M-pro and then using an air compressor to blow all traces of it off since its water based. I lube with Weapon Shield CLP because it has been a greaž lube and has guarded my guns against corrosion pretty well. It also smells like cinnamon when it burns off. :)

Kanester
05-04-2011, 8:41 PM
I use hoppes #9 solvent and hoppes lube, as well as break free. Not sure about EWL, never used it.

rubber duckie
05-04-2011, 8:47 PM
clean: windex, hoppes. rem oil
lube: rem oil, full synthetic motor oil.

Fern
05-04-2011, 8:49 PM
+1 for Slide Glide for the frame rails.

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
05-04-2011, 9:02 PM
I use hoppes #9 solvent, hoppes oil and grease.
oil protects the exposed surfaces, grease on the rails and other wear points.

Voo
05-04-2011, 9:03 PM
Slip eats carbon, better than almost anything else I've tried.. It's what I would use on my AR BCG to get it really clean...

Grease is preferable to oil when it comes to Sigs. You'll see a lot of info on this. I use Weaponshield grease for lubing my sigs as well as their CLP for cleaning.. But TWB is also good (I believe Tetra Grease is the same stuff?) Any of those will be fine. I'd use oil if I didn't have any grease, but I always tell my friends about the issues with oil instead of grease when it comes to Sigs.

Packy14
05-04-2011, 9:05 PM
I tried grease, i've moved on to militec, works just as good and no mess.

rubber duckie
05-04-2011, 9:20 PM
grease may work but i used oil on my 1911 and it ran better and smoother with motor oil. plus grease gets really messy.

PandaLuv
05-04-2011, 9:43 PM
Slide Glide, don't be stingy with it cause they will scrape

G-forceJunkie
05-04-2011, 9:45 PM
Its all voodoo. Any gun specific lubricant (and most others ie motor oil) will work fine. I use CLP for all my handguns.

Cyc Wid It
05-04-2011, 9:47 PM
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/908103701

This is the definitive Sig link regarding your question. Yes, the OP for that thread is highly qualified.

reagan8
05-04-2011, 10:07 PM
I used oil and/or CLP on the slide for years on my 226, but I was always surprised that it seemed to evaporate more quickly than it did on my 1911 or Glock. I never had any problems, but I needed to be more conscientious about re-lubing it than with the other guns. Weird.

Recently, I started using Tetra Grease on the slide instead, and it seems to be holding up very well. However, I don't use nearly as much as the guy in the previous poster's link; that looks like it's going to make a big mess. Previously, I needed to re-lube between range trips, and with the grease, I haven't needed to do that as often as I used to. (P.S. Always include some grease and/or oil in your range bag--just in case)

For the barrel, I use Hoppes and/or Butch's Bore Shine; these are my mainstays for the rest of my arsenal as well. I plan on trying the EWL products soon because I see lots of positive reviews.

zoglog
05-04-2011, 10:26 PM
hmmm I just clean with hoppes and lube with rem oil....
If grease really necessary?

9mmepiphany
05-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Read the link thread. You ignore the advice to use grease on the rails at the peril of accelerated wear on your frame rails. Once the hard coat is gone off the rails, you can just about throw the frame away. Sigs like to run wet in extended practice or competition, alot of folks, in a match, will float some oil on top of the grease.

I don't think he mentions it in that article, but they consider Rem Oil a junk oil and advise against using it to lube guns at all

zoglog
05-05-2011, 12:27 AM
good to know
Which grease would you guys recommend. Also is this necessary for all semiauto handguns w/ moving slides?
Wondering if I need to grease the 1911 and polymer pistols as well

rubber duckie
05-05-2011, 1:05 AM
i figure if the oil is good enough for my $30k v10 race engine its good enough for a 1000 gun.

Cyc Wid It
05-05-2011, 1:55 AM
good to know
Which grease would you guys recommend. Also is this necessary for all semiauto handguns w/ moving slides?
Wondering if I need to grease the 1911 and polymer pistols as well

I use grease on my 1911 rails. (Metal rubbing against metal)

Don't think an engine works the same way as a gun does, but whatever works for you. I'm going to go with the expert.

Voo
05-05-2011, 2:31 AM
i figure if the oil is good enough for my $30k v10 race engine its good enough for a 1000 gun.

I use mobil 1 myself for a lot of my guns (im a big fan as it works). But in terms of keeping my P226's lubed, it's really the only time I make sure I use grease instead of oil.

Read the link to Sigforums that one of the others have posted. Bruce and Scott are some of the most well respected and well regarded Sig-smiths in the entire country. It's a recommendation but Sig also supports the use of of grease as they now include a small tube of TWB-25 with their guns..

rubber duckie
05-05-2011, 3:08 AM
first time out it was well greased. i cleaned it all off and now its oiled. i have a range trip planned tm and will see how it does with oil. ill keep close eye on the rails and see how they do with oil.

otisg
05-05-2011, 9:28 AM
slide glide or rig +p

vmwerks
05-05-2011, 9:43 AM
Its all voodoo. Any gun specific lubricant (and most others ie motor oil) will work fine. I use CLP for all my handguns.

I am not sure if that is so true, at least for Sig's, mine in particular. My Sig had nothing but problems with feeding until I switched to Slide Glide. I think in the past when autos were all steel it may have been true. The combination of aluminum alloys, steel, polymers etc. have different lube requirements. Consequently better friction products are now available so the better response is that any MODERN lube is fine. But even that said I now use Slide Glide on all my auto's and have never been happier.

sigfan91
05-05-2011, 9:48 AM
Use oil on Sigs at your own peril.

Sigs are (relatively) loose fitting guns. Oil evaporates quickly. I used oil on my very first Sig, a P226 9mm from 1994. I didn't even put many rounds through it over the years. Then I started to read more about Sigs on sigforum. I went back to examine the frame rail and sure enough, there was wear within a few hundred rounds of shooting.

You don't have to clean your Sig, but make sure there's grease on the frame rail.

krim
05-05-2011, 10:01 AM
I've used the same tube of Tetra on my P228 since i got it back in '96, on advice from the salesman. I probably use about half as much as what Flock used in that thread, but the only time I saw any wear was when I first heard about CLP and started using that. I switched back to Tetra after two trips to the range.

Voo
05-05-2011, 10:54 AM
first time out it was well greased. i cleaned it all off and now its oiled. i have a range trip planned tm and will see how it does with oil. ill keep close eye on the rails and see how they do with oil.

Yea I hear you.. but please understand, that once you wear through the anodizing and see the aluminum underneath, the damage has already been done..

You will be very hard pressed to find any refinishing company that can re-anodize your gun for you... The process converts a portion of the metal and as such, you need to remove the old layer first. When you look at the rails, you're talking about a very thin amount of material..

I too am very suspect of "snake oils" or "rituals" needed to get the gun working right.. But the information is out there and once you start looking into Sig maintenance, the reasons for using grease are very compelling.

To the OP: Ived used quite a bit of the gun grease out there and nothing i've tried really "stays" or "endures" more than a few hundred rounds.. I have a tub of both automotive bearing grease and weaponshield grease.. I use whatever is closest to me.. It's made no difference in reliability and the wear looks about the same as it did several years ago..

tbhracing
05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
+1 for Slide Glide...

Available at any adult novelty store? :o

For my Sig and Glocks, I also use Tetra grease. Been working well for me.

Japsican
05-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I use Break Free CLP to clean it and Tetra gun grease on the rails.

zoglog
05-05-2011, 6:36 PM
Glad I got this advice sooner than later, i'll be greasing up my sigs and 1911
I'm guessing the same applies to polymer guns (xdm, glock etc.)?

vmwerks
05-08-2011, 6:36 AM

Check the Slide Glide site, based on requirement there are different viscosities. I use the thin - it's for most weapons.

3GunFunShooter
05-08-2011, 6:50 AM
Slide Glide on all my pistols, 1911's, XD's, Glocks. Great stuff.

rubber duckie
05-08-2011, 9:43 AM

my 1911 didnt do well with grease. oil was what i used, there is too tight of a tolerance for grease.

Sunday
05-08-2011, 5:20 PM
What does the manual recommend? EWL is real good.

rubber duckie
05-08-2011, 6:23 PM
i took a look at my rails before i went shooting and noticed a tiny bit of anodizing is missing from the underside of the rail. i went ahead and bought some lubriplate from stockade. shot about 400 rounds of .22. all make note if i see anything out of ordinary.