PDA

View Full Version : American Tactical AT-47's or other accurate AK type rifles

sammy
05-04-2011, 6:31 PM
I am on the fence on getting an AT-47. The rifle is built using hand picked Russian parts, new barrel, milled reciever.

If not an AT-47 what upper end AK would you recommend? Accuracy is a bigge for me. I have an AK built by PRK and get 1-1/2 groups at 50 yards with Golden Tiger ammo. Very good group from what I have read about all the inaccurate AK's out there.

What say you?

LBDamned
05-04-2011, 6:46 PM
Zastava PAP imported by EAA... many dealers wont send them here - but I got mine through one (Hinterland Outfitters) that was willing to install a solar tactical mag lock prior to shipping and went through a knowledgeable local FFL (straightline tactical) that was hassle-free.

Its a great rifle - quality built, very good reputation and reported in many cases as one of the best AK variants... The one drawback is it only takes single stack 10 round mags - and they are hard to find... the Zastava ones are composite and very solid, but cost $45... problem is, you can only get them from EAA and they wont send to CA (because they wont sell the rifle here, even says so on the back of the manual that comes with it)...

I have found a few Wasr 10 mage that work - but those metal Romanian POS rust buckets with *****ty springs are crap - so I have to have EAA send mag to my dealer in TX (at my shipping expense), then pay shipping agian to get them here... so the mag thing is a big PITA! Not to mention EAA is on back order for them right now.

But the gun itself rawks and even with the mag issue, I recommend it over any Romanian, or Polish AK I've handled (which is mostly whats available).

Shady
05-04-2011, 6:55 PM
VEPR

LBDamned
05-04-2011, 9:06 PM
CZ VZ58 (if you can get one)... it's ugly (imo), but gets great reviews...

straykiller
05-04-2011, 9:59 PM
you could build your own for alot less and it will be just as accurate, its all attention to detail

xSARSx
05-04-2011, 11:59 PM
why dont you get the 74 instead? those rifle are pretty accurate.(own one myself)

MrPlink
05-05-2011, 12:04 AM
any AK worth its salt will be as accurate as the next (assuming we talking about the same caliber).

AKs can pretty much be broken down into 2 groups

1) functional
2) non-functional

everything after that is of no real consequence. I.E. expensive AKs dont out perform cheap ones in any way, outside of maybe looking pretty.

MrPlink
05-05-2011, 12:05 AM
VEPR

This is what you buy when you want to impress guys that actually know about AKs.
And may be a slight exception to my previous statement.
I just heard from Atlantic that in the next 3 months or so they will have them in 5.45

SJgunguy24
05-05-2011, 10:12 AM
CZ VZ58 (if you can get one)... it's ugly (imo), but gets great reviews...

Not an AK but a quality rifle, has more in common with an SKS.

I am on the fence on getting an AT-47. The rifle is built using hand picked Russian parts, new barrel, milled reciever.

If not an AT-47 what upper end AK would you recommend? Accuracy is a bigge for me. I have an AK built by PRK and get 1-1/2 groups at 50 yards with Golden Tiger ammo. Very good group from what I have read about all the inaccurate AK's out there.

What say you?

In bold is where I would start asking questions. First off, what parts are they "hand selecting", especially with a new barrel and milled receiver. Your accuracy is coming from the barrel and reciever, the rest of the parts just feed rounds and light the primer. Those have little to do with accuracy. It sounds like they are drumming up that build to sell it at a premium.
Hell I can buy a milled bulgy parts kit for 100$ slap that into a milled reciver with a "New barrel" (it'll be US made but what does the customer know) and ask 1200$ for it too. But I'm not that kind of dude. Buyer beware when messing with milled kit guns. The ORF receivers have less then stellar heat treating and the locking lugs are soft. Headspace goes bad pretty quick.

ZX-10R
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
any AK worth its salt will be as accurate as the next (assuming we talking about the same caliber).

AKs can pretty much be broken down into 2 groups

1) functional
2) non-functional

everything after that is of no real consequence. I.E. expensive AKs dont out perform cheap ones in any way, outside of maybe looking pretty.

This is the winner.

M.C.
05-05-2011, 4:58 PM
Did anyone mention a CASAR?

Oops... just noticed he wants reliable and accurate

:D