PDA

View Full Version : rear takedown pin too tight

alpine18
11-27-2006, 1:50 PM
I finally put my CA-legal Vulcan V-15 lower on an upper and the rear pin fits so tight I can barely get it to budge without a little help from a punch and hammer. The watson's extended takedown pin is of no help either. It seems to fit well enough without the upper attached, but the moment I close it up, it locks up tight. Obviously, this is not a good thing to have to use a hammer and punch to disassemble my rifle to reload the darn thing (maybe DOJ thinks it is a good thing :mad: ).

Does anyone have any suggestions to make the pin easier to remove?
FWIW, the upper is a Colt made flat top - I tested with a friend's LMT upper and had the same issue.

yeah I know, eeewwww Vulcan - I bought it on a whim before I knew THEY had changed their name.

rkt88edmo
11-27-2006, 2:18 PM
I suggest using the search function :p

hoffmang
11-27-2006, 2:34 PM
A touch of gun oil lube can help.

-Gene

fairfaxjim
11-27-2006, 2:48 PM
I assume you are doing this with a pinned mag attached?
FWIW I have a DPMS LO-PRO upper that is very fussy about the mag being pinned in tight when closing to the lower. It is fine if the mag catch is loose, but it seems that tightening it up with the Prince50 mag lock causes it to interfere with the bolt carrier and not want to close enough to get the rear pin in.
It will not go at all with my FAB-10, there is a noticable gap between upper and lower. It will go with both the Bushmaster 10 rounders and the Mag-Tech flush 10 rounders locked, but the bolt carrier seems to drag on the mag lips on some of them, but not others. Both of my other uppers fit all three lowers (FAB-10, CMMG, Lauer) with no hassle??

cornholio1
11-27-2006, 2:53 PM
I assume you are doing this with a pinned mag attached?
FWIW I have a DPMS LO-PRO upper that is very fussy about the mag being pinned in tight when closing to the lower. It is fine if the mag catch is loose, but it seems that tightening it up with the Prince50 mag lock causes it to interfere with the bolt carrier and not want to close enough to get the rear pin in.
It will not go at all with my FAB-10, there is a noticable gap between upper and lower. It will go with both the Bushmaster 10 rounders and the Mag-Tech flush 10 rounders locked, but the bolt carrier seems to drag on the mag lips on some of them, but not others. Both of my other uppers fit all three lowers (FAB-10, CMMG, Lauer) with no hassle??

If I am not mistaken, hes not talking about pinned mags being tight. I think hes saying the rear takedown pin (the pin you push/pull to fold and reload with a fixed mag) is too tight. If you have the same issues with two different upper from different manufactures, then chances are the lower is out of spec and you may need to do some filing. Next time don't buy a Vulcan lower.

Prc329
11-27-2006, 4:24 PM
My stag was like that. A little rem oil on the pin and after a few pushes in and out and not it moves like butta. I put oil on the holes from the takedown pin and the hole in the upper.

amzych
11-27-2006, 5:06 PM
They all seem to be difficult when they're brand new. After some use, they'll pop out pretty easily.

Sharnhorst
11-27-2006, 6:42 PM
Yep got a vucan just like yours. Hard as hell to get in too! unless you smash the upper and lower together with force. Dont help much when removing the pin, still need a hammer and punch.

C.G.
11-27-2006, 7:03 PM
Yep got a vucan just like yours. Hard as hell to get in too! unless you smash the upper and lower together with force. Dont help much when removing the pin, still need a hammer and punch.

It will wear in, mine started out tight and now I wish it were tighter (not that it really makes any difference. just the feel).

alpine18
11-27-2006, 7:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. Since this is the first time I had an upper on this receiver, everything is still new. I put some rem oil on the watson extended pin and things seem to be smoothing up a little. I can remove the pin easily enough when pressing down on the upper with my thumb on the forward assist and forefinger just above the grip. I'm glad I got the extended pin, it would be tough going without it.

PIRATE14
11-27-2006, 8:19 PM
It will wear in, mine started out tight and now I wish it were tighter (not that it really makes any difference. just the feel).

That's natural.................for AR lowers as well:eek:

alpine18
11-27-2006, 9:35 PM
That's natural.................for AR lowers as well:eek:

I knew it was only a matter of time....
:eek:

fairfaxjim
11-27-2006, 9:47 PM
If I am not mistaken, hes not talking about pinned mags being tight. I think hes saying the rear takedown pin (the pin you push/pull to fold and reload with a fixed mag) is too tight. If you have the same issues with two different upper from different manufactures, then chances are the lower is out of spec and you may need to do some filing. Next time don't buy a Vulcan lower.

I got that part, what I was saying is that I have an upper that fits fine with no or a loose mag, but when you try to put it on with a fixed mag setup, the rear takedown pin is too tight to go in - caused by the receivers not closing fully, caused by, from what I see, the pinned mag riding ever so slightly higher than normal. I at first thought the holes on either the upper or the lower were out, but take away the mag and no problem.

rayra
11-27-2006, 9:55 PM
Don't play with your pin too much or you'll go blind. :cool:

alpine18
11-27-2006, 10:29 PM
most of the time the follower doesn't catch on the bolt release. The green follower in my Vulcan mag probably isn't milspec - no surprise there. But I don't think the position of the mag or follower is the problem.
I have a Bushmaster 10-rnd mag I'll probably put in as a replacement one of these days.