PDA

View Full Version : Double feed, help.

zombiescanlearn
05-04-2011, 6:16 PM
I was out shooting my SP-01 today and my gun completely locked up. That has never happened to me with any gun that I have fired in all the years that I have shot. I tried everything and the slide would not move. It was completey frozen. So, I grabbed the slide and smacked the grip as hard as I could and a round popped out. The gun fired fine after that.

That can't be the way to resolve a double feed problem is it? Was it even a double feed? I want to figure out what happened so that I know what to do if that ever happens again when it counts.

safewaysecurity
05-04-2011, 6:19 PM
That's basically how you handle double feeds lol. Like in an AR-15 sometimes you have to pick up the rifle and smash the butt of it against the ground and you solved your problem but most of the time just pulling the bolt back and sticking your hand in the magwell along with a few violent movements with the charging handle and you're good to go.

G-forceJunkie
05-04-2011, 6:23 PM
Sounds like a fat round. Reloads or factory ammo? You thread title also confuses me...a double feed would be pretty obvious, it sounds like the slide was just jammed in the closed position, yes?

zombiescanlearn
05-05-2011, 2:05 AM
Sounds like a fat round. Reloads or factory ammo? You thread title also confuses me...a double feed would be pretty obvious, it sounds like the slide was just jammed in the closed position, yes?

I was using rounds I got at Walmart. The 250-round yellow box. I forgot what they were called. Never had any problems with them in the past.

Yes, it was jammed in the closed position. I've had double feeds before, but never like this one. I'm not even sure it was a double feed, it was what the range master said I had when I talked to him afterwards. All I know is that after I smacked the c**p out of it, a round came flying out.

Like I said, thank goodness that it happened at the range rather than one of these days when it counted.

McTerry
05-05-2011, 2:43 AM
The slide wouldn't fall completely shut on a double feed would it? Sounds strange to me but it is almost 3am and my mind is half off i dreamland anyway...

iareConfusE
05-05-2011, 3:04 AM
Typically for double feeds...

1. Lock slide back
2. Drop magazine
3. Rack, rack, rack
4. Load new mag
5. Power stroke
6. Bang

If you couldn't even lock the slide back... then... something might be wrong with the gun? I've never had to deal with a gun that completely locked up, but I have cleared plenty a double feed.

railroader
05-05-2011, 6:14 AM
CZ pistols can be picky on certain bullets and with the over all length of the round. If I load my ammo a little too long the bullet will get into the rifling and the slide will stick just like you are saying your gun did. I'm guessing you got a round that was loaded a little long and the bullet got stuck. If it does it again look at the round. There will be probably marks on the bullet. Mark

zfields
05-05-2011, 6:20 AM
sounds more like an oversized case.

UMC, or "the big evil yellow box", isnt exactly the best ammo in the world by any stretch of immagination.

Hopalong
05-05-2011, 7:11 AM
I had the slide on my EMP freeze like that

Wouldn't budge, and my arthritic hands were not strong enough to smash it out

I placed the edge of the slide up against the post holding the targets, and shoved it forward to bust it loose, and the round fell out.

Only happened once

jumpthestack
05-07-2011, 12:20 PM
It wasn't a double feed, it was the round getting stuck in the chamber for whatever reason(probably bad crimp or sizing on the brass case of the round).

What you did is the correct fix for that issue (hold onto the slide and smack the grip forward with your firing hand).