PDA

View Full Version : Buying an AR lower

BananaHands
05-04-2011, 6:07 PM
Hello, I am new to the state and its funky laws regarding "assault weapons".

I am looking for a lower receiver and I though that you could just buy one (through an FFL, of course) and use it as long as it wasn't on the list but when I called the local dealer here he told me that the only way I could get an AR is to buy the Smith and Wesson that he sold because there was no other legal way.

Was he just trying to sell me a complete rifle or just not help me? Would I have to go out of state, buy an OLL and bring it back here?

Mike

gun toting monkeyboy
05-04-2011, 6:08 PM
He is full of BS. Use the search function on here and look up OLL. Also click on the AW and OLL Guide up at the top.

EBR Works
05-04-2011, 6:09 PM
The dealer is telling you lies. Find another one. You can buy off list receivers everywhere in California.

....and welcome to Calguns!

BananaHands
05-04-2011, 6:16 PM
Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking. Either that or he can't push the S&Ws. I'm looking for a different dealer right now.

With most if not all of the parts interchangeable, is there any real difference between manufactures? I think I've settled on a CMMG, but if there are differences I would like to compare a few more.

Mike

bjl333
05-04-2011, 6:21 PM
All the brand names are fairly equal. Where are you located? Maybe some of the Calgunners can point you to their fav shops!

Welcome to Calguns Mike!!!

MrExel17
05-04-2011, 6:24 PM
+1 find a new shop, -10000 on dealers who lie through there teeth, boooo

rareair
05-04-2011, 6:25 PM
"You can have any AR lower you want, so long as it's a S&W that I sell" Lol

Get out of there and find another FFL to give your business to.

BananaHands
05-04-2011, 6:25 PM
Thanks bjl, I am in Barstow but I think I might have to go to Victorville or Apple Valley to find a dealer that is willing to take my money.

BananaHands
05-04-2011, 6:26 PM
He wasn't going to sell me just the lower because "Smith and Wesson doesn't just sell the lower receiver". I had to buy the entire gun.

bjl333
05-04-2011, 6:33 PM
He wasn't going to sell me just the lower because "Smith and Wesson doesn't just sell the lower receiver". I had to buy the entire gun.

hahaha ... thats so BS!!! I was looking at a S&W stripped lower for $150 at T&A Armory in Santa Ana. I'm sure there are other places to buy stripped lowers closer to you. Good Luck!!

mlevans66
05-04-2011, 6:34 PM

I am looking for a lower receiver and I though that you could just buy one (through an FFL, of course) and use it as long as it wasn't on the list but when I called the local dealer here he told me that the only way I could get an AR is to buy the Smith and Wesson that he sold because there was no other legal way.

Was he just trying to sell me a complete rifle or just not help me? Would I have to go out of state, buy an OLL and bring it back here?

Mike

:bofud:AHAHAHAHA! That guy is sooo full of crap his eyeballs are brown! Where you at in Cali.? About two tons of calgunners would take, show, guide or sell you a lower or take you to a place that has'em and by the way nice name. Bananahands FUNNY!

BananaHands
05-04-2011, 6:36 PM
I'm in Barstow if anyone knows a place nearby that isn't "Riley's Reloaders".

mlevans66
05-04-2011, 6:40 PM
Maybe Riflegear?

bjl333
05-04-2011, 6:42 PM
I'm in Barstow if anyone knows a place nearby that isn't "Riley's Reloaders".

Look for a stripped lower here on Calguns. If the member is from IE then they might drive to Victorville to do a transfer. Maybe you can drive to Riverside somewhere to do a transfer.

DanDanPumperMan
05-04-2011, 6:44 PM
Take a weekend drive to Riflegear! Or there are plenty of great shops in the IE.

BananaHands
05-04-2011, 6:46 PM
Riflegear is a little over two hours away but would be nice to get away from dirt and get a little closer to the water for a day.

I'll check here on Calguns as well.

rareair
05-04-2011, 7:12 PM
There are several quality gun shops in the Apple Valley/Victorville area. No need to take a 2hr drive to RifleGear.

NYY
05-04-2011, 7:28 PM
he wants you to buy his

AeroEngi
05-04-2011, 7:29 PM
Agreed! Go to Riflegear. That's where I got my OLL from. Check out Addax Tactical, they sell OLL's as well.

missiontrails
05-04-2011, 7:50 PM

Mike
That dealer is a complete JO.

Don29palms
05-04-2011, 8:34 PM
I'm presuming the OP is over 21yo.