PDA

View Full Version : SORRY!! Single shot conversion question

mif_slim
05-04-2011, 5:57 PM
My google-fu sucks today and SSC in the search doesnt come up with anything...I've tried a few others too but nothing show up about the regs on it. I know this question might come up once ever 3 seconds but I have to ask... wheres the link to the rules/laws about it? I have a Taxas FFL who wants to know more about it and I want to show him that CA isnt all that bad (yes, it is).

What I want to know is:

1. Which gun can be converted to Single Shot to be legal in CA (general questions, dont name them...just trying to get the penial codes and such for the guy)

2. LEO can purchase X gun even though its not on the list.

Those are the most important questions I would like to get for this guy.

TIA!

Cyc Wid It
05-04-2011, 6:27 PM
1. Anything that doesn't trigger AW.
2. Yes.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692

Cokebottle
05-04-2011, 6:29 PM
1. Anything that doesn't trigger AW.

Well.... revolvers can be problematic.
And you definitely can't single-shot a Judge.

Bigtwin
05-04-2011, 6:34 PM
Well.... revolvers can be problematic.

Yes, but sombody did it (I think PRK, can't remember for sure) to the Taurus Ranch hand, I think it was a coupl of days ago I saw it here on Calguns! I have no clue how that was done though.

bjl333
05-04-2011, 6:39 PM
Yes, but sombody did it (I think PRK, can't remember for sure) to the Taurus Ranch hand, I think it was a coupl of days ago I saw it here on Calguns! I have no clue how that was done though.

They'll have to build a swing out chamber to replace the cylinder. That would be my guess!!

Cokebottle
05-04-2011, 6:41 PM
If it is single action only, and chambers "at least" 6 rounds, it simply needs to have a barrel over, IIRC, 6".

The problem is replacing the barrel on most revolvers. The SAO conversion shouldn't be too hard, but it's no help for the smaller J-frame class that only chamber 5 rounds.

timmy8151
05-04-2011, 6:43 PM
Taurus Ranch Hand is tube fed. SSC could have been done with a wooden dowel in the tube to limit capacity

Cokebottle
05-04-2011, 6:44 PM
Can't find anything on the "Taurus" Ranch Hand, but the Rossi Ranch Hand is a lever action. Looks like a sawed-off rifle.

mif_slim
05-04-2011, 6:50 PM
Thanks! Any other PC's that I should know of?

Keep em coming.

Whiterabbit
05-04-2011, 9:03 PM
with revolvers, the barrel has to be over something closer to 3", not 6. Also, the overall size of the firearm along the plane of the bore has to be something like 7". Finally, the round requirement is five, not six.

So for revolvers off list:

convert to single action.
ensure the cylinder holds AT LEAST 5 rounds.
ensure barrel is X length (pretty sure 3 or 3.25, around here)
ensure OAL is X length (something like 7, find the PC)

Cokebottle
05-04-2011, 9:08 PM
Whiterabbit is correct:

12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications: (1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations. (2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7-1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. (3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7-1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code. (b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10-1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

Whiterabbit
05-04-2011, 9:42 PM
Whiterabbit was making sure what his options were before stumbling on a single action that he fell in love with anyways, rendering his researches moot. :)

BTW speaking about researches, my revolversmith suggested single action conversion would run ~$40 all labor, your mileage may vary. Reconversion to double action would be somewhat more, depending on how cheap you can source your replacement parts.