PDA

View Full Version : P220 not going into battery?

psango
05-04-2011, 4:43 PM
My P220 38 super occasionally fails to strip ammo from the magazine and go into battery. This occurs while firing (no problem racking the slide) with all of my magazines. Happens at least once with each mag anywhere in the stack, and with all fmj ammo. I have tried (PMC, Aguila, UMC, Magtech). The pistol and magazines are 1994 production with less than 500 rds. fired (bought it new in box). This is mid mag usually.

I have tried slide glide and Break Free on the slide and lockup points. I have 2 new wolf re-coil springs a 14lb and a 15lb. I just installed the 15lb and will take it to the range tomorrow. I have been using the factory recoil spring and have not shot with either of the wolf springs yet.

Any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,

NewbieDave
05-04-2011, 10:25 PM
If all your mags are the original '94... you may want to try some new mags. Quick and dirty way to check is to put something between the mag plate and spring, giving the spring more tension to see if it helps... you'll loose 1 round for the mag, but this is just to confim it's not mag related.

~dpc

1nsanity
05-04-2011, 10:42 PM
I would say first start with a new recoil spring, mag spring or both. If you haven’t make sure you strip it down and thoroughly clean it if it has been sitting for a while, stored away. Sigs tend to like to run pretty wet, meaning lubed as well. I tend to grease the rails and wherever there is metal to metal contact. Start there and see where it goes. Sourcing .38 super replacements springs maybe pita. Top gun supply does have .38 super mags that will run in either American version or Euro version although pricey.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig_p220-38-super-9rd-magazine-black.html

Keep us updated and good luck…

psango
05-04-2011, 11:20 PM
I would say first start with a new recoil spring, mag spring or both. If you haven’t make sure you strip it down and thoroughly clean it if it has been sitting for a while, stored away. Sigs tend to like to run pretty wet, meaning lubed as well. I tend to grease the rails and wherever there is metal to metal contact. Start there and see where it goes. Sourcing .38 super replacements springs maybe pita. Top gun supply does have .38 super mags that will run in either American version or Euro version although pricey.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig_p220-38-super-9rd-magazine-black.html

Keep us updated and good luck…

Tonight I a did complete field strip and lubed slide rails with Slide Glide, all other metal to metal with Break Free. I installed the 15 lb. Wolf recoil spring and will bring the 14 lb. with me to the range. I have 5 factory Sig magazines and 2 brand new mags. from Top Gun Supply cleaned and ready to go. I number my mags. so I know if a particular magazine is a problem.
I am running the factory recoil rod.

The P220 has been in regular use since I got it new old stock a year or two ago. and only started this the last 2 range trips, I probably miss stated that in the last 500 rds. it started this. I am an experienced auto shooter with sigs and others but I will watch for limp writing and have someone else fire it as well. I'll have my P228 with me too.

If no joy I will order some replacement mag springs from Wolf the only list 2
springs for Sigs P220 metal floor-plate. They are listed a .45 8rd. +5 and +10. and order a replacement guide rod.

psango
05-04-2011, 11:22 PM
If all your mags are the original '94... you may want to try some new mags. Quick and dirty way to check is to put something between the mag plate and spring, giving the spring more tension to see if it helps... you'll loose 1 round for the mag, but this is just to confim it's not mag related.

~dpc

great idea I will insert a small block of wood in 2 of the original sig. mags for comparison.

Ranger20
05-05-2011, 8:08 PM
Psango Sounds like you are ready and have a good handle with the information provided. My 2cents.. was weak mag springs Congrats on your unusual sig.. I got a 239 again this time 40 with DA/SA Prior owned. good luck to you let us know what happens.

1nsanity
05-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Tonight I a did complete field strip and lubed slide rails with Slide Glide, all other metal to metal with Break Free. I installed the 15 lb. Wolf recoil spring and will bring the 14 lb. with me to the range. I have 5 factory Sig magazines and 2 brand new mags. from Top Gun Supply cleaned and ready to go. I number my mags. so I know if a particular magazine is a problem.
I am running the factory recoil rod.

The P220 has been in regular use since I got it new old stock a year or two ago. and only started this the last 2 range trips, I probably miss stated that in the last 500 rds. it started this..

Ok looks like you are on the right track. I've never replaced my 9mm and .38 super mag springs so not sure which one to go with or if those will work to begin with. Luckily I have a dozen (5 are 9mm the rest are .38 super) with the .38 super mags working flawlessly in my 9mm p220s although never shot my p220 .38 which sits nib. Most of these mags sit unused and pretty new except for a quick function test through my p220 9mms.

I was a bit confused on whether you bought it new with only 500 rds through or if you bought it recently and you placed 500rds while in your possesion. From what you wrote recently thinking the latter and the springs (thinking mag springs imo) are getting weak on some of them. Might want to change out all the springs on the p220 and freshen her up a bit if you haven't. Keep me posted on things...

psango
05-06-2011, 12:08 PM
re: P220 .38 super shot 150 rds. today with new recoil spring, no FTF or FTE. on all magazines. I was using the Wolf 15lb. spring. I think it was primarily a lack of lubrication. Forgot how wet Sigs. like to run. I will shoot the 14llb. spring next trip (which I believe is standard for .38 super). The magazines all seem good to me. I took my other 2 sigs also the P228 and my P230. They all functioned with out a hitch.

I bought this 2 years ago BNIB had never been fired before I got it. I know probably stupid to shoot it. So every thing was practically new. I also have some Top Gun Supply mags. which appear near identical to my factory ones. I put the 500 rds. through it last 2 range trips.

I would love to lay my hands on a P220 9mm have never seen one in person only read about them. But most likely will add a .45 Sig when funds allow.

Thanks everyone for the interest and help.

1nsanity
05-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Ah sweet so it was the recoil spring. I had heard that there was the possibility that the recoil springs on the .38 and 9mm may have been a bit under sprung to begin with. I run a wolf 16lb in my 9mm. I say stay with 15lb and maybe test out the 16lber as well. Let me know if you ever decide to test out those wolf mag replacement springs and which ones work for the .38 super mags. Sig wasn’t any help when I asked them years back and Wolf wasn’t sure as well. Anyways, good shooting to ya and have a great one…

psango
05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I am going to order one of the wolf +10lb. magazine springs and test it next trip.

1nsanity
05-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Saw your revamped post and yeah they do love to run wet although I have shot some sigs dry with no issues but try not to. Let me know how those mag replacement springs work whenever you get a chance to test them out. Also you should change recoil springs every 5k but I tend to do it every 2-3k depending on what ammo I use.

If you own it then by all means shoot it. It's just that I primarily collect and have quite a few p220 variants and just don't shoot .38 super so stick with 9mm and .45 as primary shooting calibers to begin with. If you are ever around South SF area and can meet at Jackson Arms one time, would be happy to let you try out my p220 9mm and some of the .45s as well.

thefinger
05-06-2011, 1:50 PM
I had this problem when shooting my dad's old European style P220 (Actually a Browning BDA 45). I bought a stronger Wolff spring and the problem was fixed. I found out that the springs they used on really old P220s were much weaker than the springs they use on new production P220s.

psango
05-06-2011, 2:14 PM
I had this problem when shooting my dad's old European style P220 (Actually a Browning BDA 45). I bought a stronger Wolff spring and the problem was fixed. I found out that the springs they used on really old P220s were much weaker than the springs they use on new production P220s.

good info thanks