PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else get paranoid during the 10-day wait?

hornswaggled
05-04-2011, 5:26 PM
Although I've purchased numerous guns since the 90s, have no criminal record, and never had a problem, something about that DOJ form going to some big freaky bureaucracy in the sky wigs me out. I always picture either:

a) some burnt out government employee reading the wrong results and stamping "DENIED" on my form.

b) dept of homeland security getting pissed off at all my anti-TSA remarks on CNN forums and putting me on the no-fly list out of anger

McTerry
05-04-2011, 5:42 PM
Never thought about it but now you got me wondering how I can go about getting that job!

Bargearse
05-04-2011, 5:48 PM
Due to my nailbiting, anxious and being paranoid, called my gunshop 5 days after I bought my first handgun. They said they cannot do anything to get information during the 10 day waiting period.

Must wait on 10th day to reveal decision from CA-DOJ

daybreak
05-04-2011, 5:55 PM
A similar conversation was overheard at a gun store yesterday and one of the workers said they usually know by the next day or the day after, and no news is good news. I gathered that if you haven't heard anything in 5 days, you're probably in the clear.

But yes, I sweat bullets every night until I pick up my guns, despite having a squeeky clean record. I am more nervous that something got overlooked in the paperwork, like a typo or silly technicality.

My girlfriend just dros'd a glock 19 yesterday and i'm probably sweating more bullets than she is, despite her having a squeeky clean record too.

Joe
05-04-2011, 5:57 PM
I get nervous that wherever I am doing the transfer will be robbed and my guns stolen or the FFL will have their license suddenly revoked.

Bargearse
05-04-2011, 6:17 PM
This thread had got me paranoid again and called my gunshop recently:eek: They said DROS got me approved to pick up my baby tomorrow at noon.

Im excited and is looking forward to fondle her.

ChrisTKHarris
05-04-2011, 6:24 PM
No.

rogervzv
05-04-2011, 6:27 PM
This thread had got me paranoid again and called my gunshop recently:eek: They said DROS got me approved to pick up my baby tomorrow at noon.

For me it is tomorrow at 11am!;)

biloutkast
05-04-2011, 6:36 PM
Not at all.

Bigtwin
05-04-2011, 6:36 PM
Nope!

The very first time I did a DROS, yes I was a bit nervous....don't know why but it was all new to me. Never since then.

BigKevLA
05-04-2011, 6:38 PM
Too funny!

Ripon83
05-04-2011, 6:39 PM
Only because I recently moved. My drivers license address is no longer my "proven" residence address. That always makes the gun dealer leary and makes me uncomfortable. DMV hasn't sent out that little card yet, and I'm told more and more shops can't or don't want to use those. I'm on 30 days sabatical anyway....but I want one of the GSG 1911's if they are available when my 30 days is up.

bsg
05-04-2011, 6:44 PM
not yet.

USMC 82-86
05-04-2011, 6:55 PM
No I don't. Daybreak is correct in his comments as a norm the decision is made most of the time in the first couple days. I have a friend who has been to the office where the DROS is done. She said it is a very small staff about 3-4 people all in the same room. I was in the store last week when I started the DROS on my G19 which I pick up tomorrow by the way. The wait is over. My point is while I was in the store she was calling a customer who started a DROS 2 days earlier and said that there was a issue and it was held up. So yes if you are at day 5 you are probably clear. The DROS are started electronically after your info is entered. When I lived in S.C. the answer was back in about 10-15 min and you took your gun home that day. The have the instant check. I saw a guy arrested once trying to buy when he had a felony. The clerk was required to call the local Sheriff department, and told the felon that the system was slow and it would be a few minutes more. The deputies arrived and took him into custody. Pretty good system I think.

zfields
05-04-2011, 6:58 PM
Yall need a costco sized roll of tin foil.

gl0ckc0ma
05-04-2011, 7:26 PM
Well to those who say they are never worried, I felt that way also until I was denied cause some idiot decided to use my name when he got a ticket. It took me a few weeks and going to court, I was finally fully exonerated but then had to wait another 10 days. I finally get to pick up my gun I bought a month ago.

Sanderhawk
05-04-2011, 7:37 PM
Not paranoid, bored maybe.

BayAreaShooter
05-04-2011, 7:45 PM
No never paranoid. The only thing I would be worried about is getting my name mixed up with someone else, but my name is not the most common so I don't really worry about it.

daybreak
05-04-2011, 7:57 PM
When my GF and I went to start the dros on her G19 yesterday, we left the store and she told me "I don't even remember giving them my car reg (her proof of residency)" ... So I told her to call the gun store and ask if they took her proof of residency and sure enough they forgot. Thankfully we were only down the street so we just drove back and they took care of it.

They were awesome guys and they were packed, it would not deter us from doing business with them again. They were very helpful and went the extra mile to answer all her questions.

But it is things like that that make me nervous.

jayhuh
05-04-2011, 8:03 PM
The DOJ check is done rather quickly. Minutes to a couple of days. The remaining time is a "cooling off" period and to make sure that some court clerk doesn't have a restraining order of some type against you,in his/her in basket that needs to put into the system. Things are good now. The wait used to be 15-days.

Oceanbob
05-04-2011, 8:05 PM
Only if the Black Helicopters circle my house for the 4th time. :D

(yes, the wait used to be 15 days)

BayAreaShooter
05-04-2011, 8:08 PM
The DOJ check is done rather quickly. Minutes to a couple of days. The remaining time is a "cooling off" period and to make sure that some court clerk doesn't have a restraining order of some type against you,in his/her in basket that needs to put into the system. Things are good now. The wait used to be 15-days.

I have heard of people getting there gun after 10 days taking it home and a few days later getting a call from the DOJ saying them failed the background check.

Fishslayer
05-04-2011, 8:35 PM
I used to. Don't really give it a lot of thought anymore. Most of my stuff is old consignment sales & I wait way longer than 10 days for it.

darkest2000
05-04-2011, 8:44 PM
depends. If it's an exotic/high priced OLL I still get a little worried. Once you've purchased 5 guns or more you'll just laugh it off, sometimes you'll even forget that it's been 10 days.

Bulleh
05-04-2011, 8:57 PM
You shouldn't worry unless you broke the law. Mistakes can happen and if it does, it will most likely be fixed. It just takes time, but you'll get your gun, don't worry.

mif_slim
05-04-2011, 9:02 PM
well, I do.... You know how there's the section that ask if your a felon etc etc?? There's two boxes that you check (first and second to last?) that is suppose to be "yes", I sometime dream I "no". Lol.

Jk.

No, no issues...

cmichini
05-04-2011, 9:06 PM
Only that some pencil-necked twit will misread some computer screen and jump on the infringement bandwagon as it bears down on me.

IrishPirate
05-04-2011, 9:14 PM
i get more anxious about picking up my gun(s).

ArkinDomino
05-04-2011, 9:24 PM
This thing about "you're clear by the 5th day" isn't true at all. My friend got a call from the gun shop on the 9th day that they couldn't release the gun due to something that came up with the DOJ.

Dirmer3
05-04-2011, 9:30 PM
I thought I was alone!

USMC VET
05-04-2011, 9:36 PM
I thought they knew instantaneously and the 10 days was your cool off period? Now I'm interested.

cryoguy
05-04-2011, 9:41 PM
I wasn't during the 10 day wait, but I was when I got my FFL!

duc748bip
05-04-2011, 9:45 PM
The anxiety really wears out after you did 50 or 60 DROS.. :D unless i found a high polished Colt 1911 or Python. I be real worry some Gun shop employee dry firing or put any idiot mark on it..

GlockBlocker
05-04-2011, 9:58 PM
When my GF and I went to start the dros on her G19 yesterday, we left the store and she told me "I don't even remember giving them my car reg (her proof of residency)" ... So I told her to call the gun store and ask if they took her proof of residency and sure enough they forgot. Thankfully we were only down the street so we just drove back and they took care of it.

They were awesome guys and they were packed, it would not deter us from doing business with them again. They were very helpful and went the extra mile to answer all her questions.

But it is things like that that make me nervous.

I think they only need that when you pick it up.

kazman
05-04-2011, 10:00 PM
No. But there's always next time

jcannon
05-04-2011, 10:19 PM
You'd think if there were any issues the shop/FFL could call? Or would that just be too courteous ? :D

McTerry
05-05-2011, 1:36 AM
Only because I recently moved. My drivers license address is no longer my "proven" residence address. That always makes the gun dealer leary and makes me uncomfortable. DMV hasn't sent out that little card yet, and I'm told more and more shops can't or don't want to use those. I'm on 30 days sabatical anyway....but I want one of the GSG 1911's if they are available when my 30 days is up.

I've never had the DMV send me a address correction/update card in the mail, usually you just pick them up at the DMV when you update your address info. May want to look into that.

pkc168
05-05-2011, 11:15 AM
No, just think the ten day wait is silly and should be do away with.

thai562
05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Its normal. It like taken an HIV test, for that short waiting period you are freaking out about every girls you have been with. Although you are pretty sure you are clean.
LOL

JDW67
05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I know a guy who doesn't have a clean record and he passes the dros every time. Makes me wonder if anyone even looks at the dros...

shermanatortank
05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
To be honest I think about the "what if" scenario for a split second but I know I haven't been committing crimes besides the occasional traffic violation. So, I rest assured knowing that I have to wait 10 days until I pick up my gun which is silly. :cool2:

triplestack3
05-05-2011, 11:43 AM
It was worrisome the first time. I got a DROS delay notification on day 9. Took one phone call to clear it up and no problems since then.

psango
05-05-2011, 1:27 PM
No of course not, what do you mean? Why are you asking. Who are you? :eek:

mcsoupman
05-05-2011, 1:56 PM
Totally! I am clean and even a pastor (I know that might not mean squat to some of you). I don't think about it all day, but there are times, where I might pause a moment and be thankful I haven't received a call saying it is "denied."

BTW anyone look at the list of questions and think "what idiot would check yes" to any of those?

triplestack3
05-05-2011, 2:02 PM
BTW anyone look at the list of questions and think "what idiot would check yes" to any of those?

"are you a fugitive on the run from the law?"

LOLOLOL that's my favorite

rogervzv
05-05-2011, 2:05 PM
I have not even gotten a traffic ticket for over 5 years, but with all the crazy lists and whatnot out there you never know. I picked up my Beretta M9a1 today, and happily no problem!!:cool:

NorCalDustin
05-05-2011, 2:08 PM
i get more anxious about picking up my gun(s).

Hehehe... Same...

El Patron
08-02-2011, 2:38 PM
Does One That Got Denied Not Get Any Of Their Money Back??? What Is The Main Reason One Should Be Scared/Paranoid, Not Getting The Gun Or Not Getting The Money Back Which In That Case Would Be Both??? Sorry Im Very New To All This And This Post Sparked Some Interests.

glock_this
08-02-2011, 2:40 PM
I have never once even thought about it. I just assume, since I am a good guy with nothing in my past, I'll be picking it up in 10 days. I guess maybe only people with a "past" have this sort of stress?

Ricky-Ray
08-02-2011, 2:42 PM
Although I've purchased numerous guns since the 90s, have no criminal record, and never had a problem, something about that DOJ form going to some big freaky bureaucracy in the sky wigs me out. I always picture either:

a) some burnt out government employee reading the wrong results and stamping "DENIED" on my form.

b) dept of homeland security getting pissed off at all my anti-TSA remarks on CNN forums and putting me on the no-fly list out of anger

That's why you sign onto CNN with a different handle than your Calgun's... :D LOL

Gts408
08-02-2011, 2:56 PM
The only thing that worries me about the ten day wait is the world coming to a end before i can get my new gun. ;)

navydad2010
08-02-2011, 5:39 PM
Last week @ the Pawn Shop, the clerk tells me to cross out/ and initial the last one about being a citizen... :kest::patriot:

bsg
08-02-2011, 6:16 PM
The only thing that worries me about the ten day wait is the world coming to a end before i can get my new gun. ;)

if it did... you'd have to pay a restocking fee.

resident-shooter
08-02-2011, 6:48 PM
I really don't worry. I don't even mind waiting. Never had problems with DROSingz

gorenut
08-02-2011, 6:55 PM
Depends on how far apart I buy/sell consecutive firearms. Sometimes I second-guess myself and think I miscalculated the 30 days. This one time, I actually got a call from the DOJ on the DAY OF the end of my 10 day. I had no clue who it was as I didn't recognize the number so I didn't pick it up. Heard the VM and said it was the DOJ and to call back.. yea.. that's when I got kinda freaked out.

Turned out though.. it was merely a courtesy call back for a question I submitted a week before on another gun and whether that particular model was on the roster.

Shellshocker66
08-02-2011, 7:13 PM
I always worry. I have a really common name, which means I get calls from bill collectors for someone else with my name all the time. Also last time I came back from a Mexico cruise coming back into the US was an extended questioning asking me if I had ever lived in several cities (none of which I had). Seems some other women out there with my name are not the best of people.

So I'm always in fear DOJ is going to mix me up with some kuku crack trafficking, terrorist on the watch list! Thankfully I have not been hauled off yet due to someone else's misdeeds!

SMR510
08-02-2011, 7:17 PM
I must say I was a bit nervous buying my first handgun. Seems a little more strict than long gun purchases.

I had a run in with the police when I was younger for street racing (dont worry I have grown up since then) and made a deal to get it dropped to a misdemeanor exhibition of speed rather than felony speed contest. The deal also included it being expunged from my record after a certain amount of time if I behaved myself, I think it was 4 years.

That said, I was a bit nervous that some paperwork was done incorrectly or something got filed wrong but I havent gotten a phone call yet and I am at 11 days (VA isnt open mon or tues) so I figure I am good to go.

Old4eyes
08-02-2011, 7:57 PM
Until I read the posting, I never gave it a thought.
And now the I have read the posting,
I will continue to not giving it a thought.
I can't control the actions of the idiots doing the backgound checks.

Colt-45
08-02-2011, 8:19 PM
I'm not concerned about me not being able to posses a gun. I'm more concerned about gun stores getting robbed or running out of business while I'm on the 10 day wait.

10 day waits used to be a pain for me but now after dros I just pretend like I didn't even buy a gun. Then once the 10 days are up I'm surprised I have a gun to pick up:D

The clerk was required to call the local Sheriff department, and told the felon that the system was slow and it would be a few minutes more. The deputies arrived and took him into custody. Pretty good system I think.

Sounds like a better plan than what we have here. Fast and easy.

Yugo
08-02-2011, 8:24 PM
well this thread makes me nervous!!!....I have drosed 5 times now and picking the last one up on the 8th. Im not scared for my record (clean), im not scared for my name (there is 1 other person with my last name) but im scared they will put me on a list of some sort but then again I have never bought multiple guns and have only done PPT.

Rink Rat
08-02-2011, 8:30 PM
All the time I have a pretty common name and it's an issue for alot of things

Baga
08-02-2011, 8:40 PM
I never really felt paranoid about the process. Nothing really to be paranoid about unless your guilty of something.
I just get impatient about waiting 10 days for something I purchased.

viet4lifeOC
08-02-2011, 8:42 PM
I be real worry some Gun shop employee dry firing or put any idiot mark on it..

This. For fearful some employee will scratch up the gun, drop it, dry fire it, or go to the range with it.

Is it polite of me to place ties on the trigger and lock it in the gun case while waiting for the 10 days?

Thanks

ArkinDomino
08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
This. For fearful some employee will scratch up the gun, drop it, dry fire it, or go to the range with it.

Is it polite of me to place ties on the trigger and lock it in the gun case while waiting for the 10 days?

Thanks

I have friends who work in gun stores and they seem to take unkindly to crazy gun buyers who zip tie their guns and/or lock the case it will rest in during the ten day wait. They have ways of dealing with said situations, kind of like when a line cook sends you burnt shrimp because you returned an over cooked lobster. I think it's real douchey of them but I guess all lines of work have ways of dealing with frustration.

xxINKxx
08-07-2011, 1:26 AM
Nope, im not a criminal and have nothing on my record. If nothing in my life has changed or happened since the last dros there should be nothing to fear on the next. You don't randomly get stuff on ur record without knowing. So why stress?

epcii
08-07-2011, 2:31 AM
Never. I just get really anxious to pick up my firearm already.

generalpetres
08-07-2011, 4:23 AM
nope, just super excited to pick up the firearm only worrying i will ever do is will i get their early in the morning or wait till the evening. :)

if you have nothing to hide and have done nothing wrong then their is nothing to fear.

Hopalong
08-07-2011, 6:30 AM
No., and it won't do you any good, or make any difference, if you do.

midvalleyshooter
08-07-2011, 6:34 AM
I get nervous that wherever I am doing the transfer will be robbed and my guns stolen or the FFL will have their license suddenly revoked.

Several years ago I found a nice Beretta Elite in the used gun case of a local gun shop. I swapped a Para .40 S&W that was sitting in the back of the safe for it. During the 10 day wait the shop was burglarized and 250+ firearms were taken. The Beretta and Para were gone:mad:

The owner of the shop cashed me out on the deal, but I would have rather had either either pistol, especially the Beretta.

I also get concerned about shop employees playing with my guns during the 10 days. Especially unique firearms I have done a PPT on. What do you do on a used gun that has "acquired" a new scratch while in the 10 day wait?

Keith

Sam
08-07-2011, 8:57 AM
Doesn't make me paranoid. I don't have any criminal history and if something comes up it's a mistake and can be fixed.

RoundEye
08-07-2011, 9:39 AM
No, not really anymore. As everyone said the first time causes a little anxiety, and my first PPT caused some as well, but that is about it. I heard that basically if they don't get a repsonse from the DOJ that you're good to go, and that responses are only sent for failures.

Carry license/permits have been my biggest worry lately since you are required to submit finger prints and they send off to the FBI for background.

carnelianbay
08-07-2011, 10:24 AM
No. If you are then you've got bigger problems ;)

tbhracing
08-07-2011, 10:30 AM
You guys and your paranoid talk and dreams about firearms- pathetic. Get your head together, GROW UP and stop acting like clowns when discussing firearms. If you head is not on straight and paranoid, then you might not be ready to own a firearm.

PayThePrice
08-07-2011, 10:33 AM
The place where I got my handgun said I could come back and shoot it after 3 days, but I had to leave it there until the 10th day. They said if I come back and I wasn't allowed to shoot it then there was an issue.

Blackhawk556
08-07-2011, 7:37 PM
i've gone through the dros process about 8 times. This last time was the only time where I kept thinking about the gun. I was so anxious to pick it up, when the day finally arrived, I was at the store at the exact minute. i wasn't worried or anything, I just wanted to shoot the gun that's all.

Blackhawk556
08-07-2011, 7:39 PM
:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:You guys and your paranoid talk and dreams about firearms- pathetic. Get your head together, GROW UP and stop acting like clowns when discussing firearms. If you head is not on straight and paranoid, then you might not be ready to own a firearm.

Taggart
08-08-2011, 12:30 AM
No. I get anxious about having to wait ten freaking days to take delivery of my property, and annoyed at having to produce written proof other than my DD-214 that I know how to safely handle a firearm, but I don't worry about the DROS. I always double-check my answers on the form to ensure I didn't accidentally declare that I'm a nutjob, druggie or illegal alien, and then don't give it a second thought. I have no criminal record of any sort, have held a security clearance in the past, and the DROS review is pretty perfunctory, so the chances of it going sideways seem quite remote.

psango
08-08-2011, 12:55 AM

When you get to be my age you worry more about dying before you get your new gun and what will happen to it if you don't pick it up.

penciljockey
08-08-2011, 11:24 AM
What I find funny is that the 10 day waiting is known as the "Cool Down" period and I'm sure they know you qualify in a matter of days. What I mean by this is, if you own various firearms already why do we need a cool down period? If we were going to do something stupid and we already have firearms waiting 10 days for our new gun isn't going to matter. I say for those of us who have clean records and already own firearms the wait should be less. The 10 day waiting should only be for first time buyers.

Jyruiz
08-08-2011, 11:29 AM
So if you fail the DROS, does the FFL have to call you and let you know?

PandaLuv
08-08-2011, 11:43 AM
ahh!!! two more days !
I'm not paranoid cause if there was something wrong, I would know first hand at the store cause I asked the clerks what each section means.
I am annoyed with this stupid DROS system !

penciljockey
08-08-2011, 12:01 PM
It really makes little sense for gun owners.

PandaLuv
08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
So if you fail the DROS, does the FFL have to call you and let you know?

not really sure if they do, but if you committed crime within those 10 days and got caught, you wouldn't be able to pick it up.

It just doesn't make any sense to me, why would you fail if you did nothing wrong prior and during the 10 day wait?

iBkickinit
08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
First one I did in awhile had me nervous. I have completed at least a dozen this year for different firearms. Had one kick back and didn't find out until day 9. It was for a 1-in-30 violation because the FFL put down a consignment gun as FFL transfer instead of PPT by mistake. Had to do a new DROS and wait 10 more.... Dealer ate the fee ;) Nowadays, I feel like I'm wasting time if I don't have a DROS in process haha. Infact, I have 8 days left on a Mosin and my .50 cal... :D

haole_50
08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I've had more serious investigations (FBI/OSI) than a gun purchase investigation (CA DOJ). So this stuff never worries me. I like it when they show at the door and flash a badge, and I respond "What now?"

Lead Waster
08-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't sweat the waiting period, what for? I'm not a crook. Even as a Green Card holder and not a Citizen, I've never had problems.

And in case you didn't know, the 2nd Amendment, like the rest of the Constitution, applies to every one living legally in the US, not just Citizens, who have the extra priviledge of voting and jury duty.

Lead Waster
08-08-2011, 1:01 PM
Totally! I am clean and even a pastor (I know that might not mean squat to some of you). I don't think about it all day, but there are times, where I might pause a moment and be thankful I haven't received a call saying it is "denied."

Well, that's there so that if you SHOULD check yes, but didn't, they'll have a case against you. Most (honest) people would fill out the form and if they have to check yes, they would likely just abort the process and forget about it. It's just there as a reminder.

Jyruiz
08-08-2011, 1:07 PM
not really sure if they do, but if you committed crime within those 10 days and got caught, you wouldn't be able to pick it up.

It just doesn't make any sense to me, why would you fail if you did nothing wrong prior and during the 10 day wait?

Oh, I have never failed and just returned from getting my handgun out of jail, but I was just wondering if the dealer was bound by law to notify the customer as soon as it happened.

Vanilla Gorilla
08-08-2011, 1:11 PM
I get nervous that the DOJ might mix me up with someone else who cant own guns i have heard of this happening before but i dont know if it was fud or not

a1c
08-08-2011, 1:14 PM
A bit. The CA DOJ once pulled a silly trick based on my immigration status and it made no sense. Thankfully it was all cleared up and I was able to pick my gun up before the DROS period expired.

penciljockey
08-08-2011, 1:34 PM
I don't mind the 10 day wait, but it makes little sense for people who have a clean record and already own guns.

Taggart
08-08-2011, 2:09 PM
What I find funny is that the 10 day waiting is known as the "Cool Down" period and I'm sure they know you qualify in a matter of days. What I mean by this is, if you own various firearms already why do we need a cool down period? If we were going to do something stupid and we already have firearms waiting 10 days for our new gun isn't going to matter. I say for those of us who have clean records and already own firearms the wait should be less. The 10 day waiting should only be for first time buyers.

The "cooling down" justification for the law is a red herring. The true purpose of this law, like most gun control, is not to stop crimes, but to inconvenience law-abiding people trying to buy a firearm, so they will make fewer purchases and decrease the market for small arms. This is demonstrated by its application to people who already own firearms and, as you observed, presumably could use one of them for whatever purpose from which they are supposed to be "cooling down."

P220ST
08-08-2011, 3:39 PM
Do most of you guys get 10 days from the exact time/date of sale or is does the first "day" start the following day?

PandaLuv
08-08-2011, 3:49 PM
Do most of you guys get 10 days from the exact time/date of sale or is does the first "day" start the following day?

from what I remember, it's 10 24hr periods.

Jyruiz
08-08-2011, 4:03 PM

Nope, it starts the 1st day of the sale and it is 10 24 hour periods, although some stores won't let you pick it up untill the 11th day.

King Turnip
08-08-2011, 4:28 PM
I've had things "magically appear" in my background. I'm relieved to have picked up my XD from the stripey hole on my lunch break.

I was pulled over by a cop a couple years back for a fixit-ticket. He takes my license back to the bike, and lectures me about forging insurance papers (?) and driving on a suspended license for a hit and run (?). My then 5-year-old daughter in the back seat starts asking things like "why did you kill all those children, daddy?" "Why did you steal the giant ruby?" Not helping, little one. Not helping.
The whole thing was the result of a fender-bender where the guy who hit me wrote down the wrong insurance number. Three hours on the phone with DMV and it was squared away.

For the record, I did none of the things that my daughter asked about--she thought that was the only reason a cop would yell at me.

PandaLuv
08-08-2011, 4:32 PM
I've had things "magically appear" in my background. I'm relieved to have picked up my XD from the stripey hole on my lunch break.

I was pulled over by a cop a couple years back for a fixit-ticket. He takes my license back to the bike, and lectures me about forging insurance papers (?) and driving on a suspended license for a hit and run (?). My then 5-year-old daughter in the back seat starts asking things like "why did you kill all those children, daddy?" "Why did you steal the giant ruby?" Not helping, little one. Not helping.
The whole thing was the result of a fender-bender where the guy who hit me wrote down the wrong insurance number. Three hours on the phone with DMV and it was squared away.

For the record, I did none of the things that my daughter asked about--she thought that was the only reason a cop would yell at me.
lol I love how you saved your first post ever for this statement here

P220ST
08-08-2011, 5:04 PM
Nope, it starts the 1st day of the sale and it is 10 24 hour periods, although some stores won't let you pick it up untill the 11th day.

Yea, that's the situation I'm in right now. Technically, I should be able to pick up my Sig on Tuesday (tomorrow) around 2-3PM, but the place I bought it from does 11 days. Have to wait until Wednesday. :(

stormy_clothing
08-08-2011, 5:10 PM
I spend too much time sharpening my mall ninja stars to worry about another handgun I bought out of impulse. I can hardly fit all the ones I have into my panic mansion now. I feel like I need to add another panic dome next to the one I keep my missiles in.

repubconserv
08-08-2011, 5:12 PM
Yes on my rifle... my shotguns were intrafamilial... but it should be interesting to see if I will get wierded out on my second DROS.... End of this fall baby!

PandaLuv
08-08-2011, 5:13 PM
I spend too much time sharpening my mall ninja stars to worry about another handgun I bought out of impulse. I can hardly fit all the ones I have into my panic mansion now. I feel like I need to add another panic dome next to the one I keep my missiles in.

I will adopt them for ya :D

Schrodinger's Cat
08-08-2011, 5:18 PM
I'm always afraid I accidentally checked a wrong box on one of the forms or read one of the questions wrong and marked the wrong thing or something. YES I am a fugitive from the law, YES I am addicted to some illegal substance, NO I am not a legal resident of this country, etc etc etc...

penciljockey
08-08-2011, 5:31 PM
So one can deduce from all this that gun owners are ideal citizens or else we wouldn't own guns. :)

tbhracing
08-08-2011, 6:18 PM
You guys are too paranoid.

PandaLuv
08-08-2011, 6:21 PM
Oh. One more thing that I wanna point out. There is an optional section in the dros papers for your social security number. If you think that you might get confused with someone else, fill that in.

dllma70
08-08-2011, 6:22 PM
I have a perfectly clean record, millions of guns are owned perfectly legally in this state, and I expect never having an issue. I don't worry or get paranoid about an absolutely normal process. I do, however, get antsy like a fat kid waiting for cake. "I want it now" comes to mind.

skyscraper
08-08-2011, 6:26 PM
Not at all. If your records are squeaky clean like you say, why is there a need to worry?

bsg
08-08-2011, 6:26 PM
you know you're paranoid when there is absolutely no reason for you to fail a DROS... and you try to "read" the face of the FFL when you go in to pick up your gun. :eek:

skyscraper
08-08-2011, 6:28 PM

Awesome post

shoupdawg
08-08-2011, 6:34 PM
nyet

iron330
08-08-2011, 6:44 PM
I wouldn't say I'm paranoid, but I always think there will be a mix up, or some such thing. And I won't find out until the end of the 10 day wait !? I just try to keep myself distracted– stay busy enough, and know that its not my only concern in life.

I've got a Ruger stainless 10/22 in jail at the moment. And of course, I can't wait, but I must!

Riodog
08-08-2011, 6:53 PM
The only things you have to worry about is being tagged as members of the clown guns community. Get you banned every time.
Rio

Eljay
08-08-2011, 8:38 PM
I have a close friend who had this major, horrible case of identity theft that took years to clean up which does tend to be in the back of my mind... but usually just when I'm driving out to pick it up, or if the shop calls for some unrelated reason. It's not like I spend ten days actively thinking about it - that's well into the category of worrying about stuff pointlessly.

CK_32
08-08-2011, 9:36 PM
Im more scared of the not being able to go in and pick it up with in the 30 days and you have to re DROS again than about the not passing the first DROS...

I was once because I had a going 90 in a 45 ticket... Never showed up just vanished into the wind..... PRobably for the abuse the cop put me through and how he didnt get me on radar and assumed the speed... But still was kinda scared then..

penciljockey
09-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I have a perfectly clean record, millions of guns are owned perfectly legally in this state, and I expect never having an issue. I don't worry or get paranoid about an absolutely normal process. I do, however, get antsy like a fat kid waiting for cake. "I want it now" comes to mind.

LOL!

Kodachrome
09-01-2011, 6:16 PM
I am more worried that some neewbie at the store is showing my purchase to someone else and is damaged some how.

defyitall
09-06-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm currently sweating through my first 10 day/background check and I'm super paranoid. Despite being a mild mannered animator, I got convicted of DUI about 6 years ago and have never had a lot of good luck with clearing up legal stuff. So I'm waiting to find out I have a bunch of FTA's or fines on my record I didn't know about or something.

PandaLuv
09-06-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm currently sweating through my first 10 day/background check and I'm super paranoid. Despite being a mild mannered animator, I got convicted of DUI about 6 years ago and have never had a lot of good luck with clearing up legal stuff. So I'm waiting to find out I have a bunch of FTA's or fines on my record I didn't know about or something.

chill out, I've heard people getting CCW permits when they had a DUI.

All of you need to chill out, if you're not a felon, if you don't have a RO against you, if you don't have any violent/serious misdemeanors, you should be good to go !

Montu
09-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm a little paranoid going through my first DROS even though though I have an active clearance for work and I think that is a more through check

ZX-10R
09-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Nope. I have bought in WA and CA. If you have a checkered past then you should.

bohoki
09-06-2011, 1:41 PM
its like a 10 day smog check you cant pay for that kind of suspense

GW
09-06-2011, 5:22 PM
For me it is just an irritant. A way for or anti-gun bureaucrats to "F" with us simply because they can.

Wicked Pete
09-06-2011, 6:10 PM
I went to shop (few years back) that wanted a deposit of half. They stated: "you don't get the deposit back if your DROS is denied". I'm clear, but worried about a typographical error. Don't know if this is an appropriate policy, I took my business elsewhere.