PDA

View Full Version : Did I get ripped off? OLL

Aluisious
11-27-2006, 12:54 PM
I bought an HSA-15 OLL stripped receiver some months back on a whim while purchasing a Kimber TLE (love that pistol!). I had visions of getting one of those "screw in the mag button" deals but I noticed recently that now the DOJ is getting way more complicated and basically requiring permanent mag affixation...welding, more or less. It's a shame to weld a nice receiver, but I don't want something iffy around as I will soon have the SJPD investigating my background.

Upshot of all this is that I paid 240 bucks for this receiver, and want to sell it to someone. I went to TargetMasters West yesterday and they told me 100-150 bucks is what I could expect. Ouch...100 dollar loss. Did I get ripped off by the original seller?

chickenfried
11-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Well I wouldn't say you got ripped off. I mean did the seller lie to you or misrepresent the product? But you did pay a little bit more than the going rate for an OLL.

cornholio1
11-27-2006, 1:00 PM
I am not sure but it sounds like an Ar15 lower..right? If it is, then yea, you probabaly got taken. The prices for AR15 lowers are around $100+ship. But it could be an exotic? Otherwise its probably worth just a bill.

Aluisious
11-27-2006, 1:00 PM
What would be the going rate? How much could I expect to resell for?

I'm thinking of taking it back to where I got it to exchange the thing for a Ruger 10/22. Hopefully it's still a few years before those are assault weapons :P I can see taking some "opportunity loss" as the new DOJ regulations are more stringent than when I bought it, but how much?

Aluisious
11-27-2006, 1:01 PM
I am not sure but it sounds like an Ar15 lower..right? If it is, then yea, you probabaly got taken. The prices for AR15 lowers are around $100+ship. But it could be an exotic? Otherwise its probably worth just a bill.
Yeah, AR-15 lower. Not particularly amazing in any way.

bu-bye
11-27-2006, 1:02 PM
I paid around $160 out the door for my STAG. I would not say you got ripped off. Owning a AR receiver in this state is a win at just about any price. I would have paid $240 for a receiver in a second if I had to.

chickenfried
11-27-2006, 1:03 PM
my guesstimate is someone would buy it PPT from you for ~$100

EBWhite
11-27-2006, 1:04 PM
You do not need to sell the thing. Long gun Dros forms are kicked out of the system within 45 or 90 days. There is no record other than the 4473 that is on file with the gun store. You do not need to disclose all the firearms you own. If you are worried about lying, transfer it to a family member during the investigation and get it back later.

luvtolean
11-27-2006, 1:08 PM
The DOJ is trying, while working with Brady among others, to substantitively change the law under the auspices of a clarification. That memo is by no means law, and is currently being challenged by several concerned citizens, companies and the NRA/NRA's attorneys.

If you want to build a fixed mag, and are not comfortable with the Prince50, there are other options.

You could also go with the SB-23 compliant build and just build it without any of the listed SB-23 features and use a detachable magazine.

Aluisious
11-27-2006, 1:13 PM
The part that troubles me the most on a detach-mag "SB-23 compliant" build is the pistol grip. They want to define it as anything protruding below the receiver. Well despite the nice grips show on this site, they're all protruding below the receiver, and I don't get to decide...courts do.

Plus, just having something that looks iffy could get me arrested and ruin my whole day.

RANGER295
11-27-2006, 1:26 PM
Just hang on to it. There is nothing grey about having a stripped OLL. I paid about $140 out the door for my FAR-15’s which are made by Fulton Armory. I don’t know how many months ago that was, but when this whole OLL thing first came up, prices were inflated because we were all scrambling for them and trying to grab up as many as we could because “they could list any minute”. But yeah that does seem a little high. I am a little bothered too by the grey area involved with some of the differed build configurations. That is why I still have not built any.

grammaton76
11-27-2006, 1:28 PM
Upshot of all this is that I paid 240 bucks for this receiver, and want to sell it to someone. I went to TargetMasters West yesterday and they told me 100-150 bucks is what I could expect. Ouch...100 dollar loss. Did I get ripped off by the original seller?

I paid $240, DROS included, for my first receiver, back in late December. If "a few months back" was fairly early in the year, then you didn't get ripped off. Back when the supplies were constricted and everyone believed TWO WEEKS... everything was being shipped Fedex overnight to Texas, and then from Texas, overnighted again to locations in California. Some places were overnighting it a third time from the in-CA depot to their locations.

Another point is that early on, there weren't a lot of dealers willing to traffick in off-list receivers. Those that were, were frequently convinced this would result in legal hassles and such, and they didn't want to deal with them without a decent sized markup.

Depending on the time of year you bought it, the $240 wasn't actually the FFL ripping you off; it was a bloated price based on several rush shipping charges piled together, plus fear of needing to make more profit to feed the lawyers.

mremmate
11-27-2006, 1:30 PM
If you purchased your OLL during the OLL craze earlier this year like many of us did, I do not think you got ripped off. I don't remember exactly how much I payed when I bought my 1st OLL but I did remember it was around $200. I was so excited that I was finally gonna be able to own an AR-15 in CA I didn't care about the premium price I payed. Just as long as I was able to have an AR-15. I Also thought that the DOJ was gonna list in two weeks.

If you just recently purchased your OLL than yea, maybe you got ripped.

mltrading
11-27-2006, 1:50 PM
If you purchased your OLL during the OLL craze earlier this year like many of us did, I do not think you got ripped off. I don't remember exactly how much I payed when I bought my 1st OLL but I did remember it was around $200. I was so excited that I was finally gonna be able to own an AR-15 in CA I didn't care about the premium price I payed. Just as long as I was able to have an AR-15. I Also thought that the DOJ was gonna list in two weeks.

If you just recently purchased your OLL than yea, maybe you got ripped.

Exactly what this member says.

TonyNorCal
11-27-2006, 2:03 PM
I don't think you got ripped off and here's why...

Most gun owners in California don't have the information that people on CalGuns do. Most California gun owners go to a gun store and buy what's there. Most don't have FFLs to transfer cheaply and most don't go and find inexpensive online sources.

Being plugged into CalGuns is more of an aberration (albeit a good one:) ) than the norm.

Also, there are many here who paid prices similar to that 10-11 months ago when there was a real possibility of immiment spigot shut off. Many here also drove long distances (and I mean long) to get a lower. And, at the time they were thrilled to have the chance.

If I wasn't on CalGuns, didn't know of the OLL thing, and found I could legally puchase an AR-15 style lower for $240 I gladly would.

Now that it's come to your attention that there are less expensive ways to do this you can do that in the future should you choose to get another.

Whether or not you want to keep it is of course contingent on your comfort level. I personally am comfortable with these, but if someone isn't then I can respect that. If what is in the latest DOJ notice worries you (and it's not law yet) you can always go with a MonsterMan grip.

Or, you could just keep the lower, put it in your safe or closet and wait to see how it all shakes out.

hoffmang
11-27-2006, 2:21 PM
If you are worried about interpreation issues, the prince-50 kits has been proving itself effective at charges being dropped even in confusing situations. Go forth and build a pinned mag kit.

The key piece you are missing on the SB-23 compliant grips is that the web of your hand has to be below the line of the action - which these grips don't allow.

At least keep your lower. However you should be out shooting it one way or another. I know I am.

-Gene

Aluisious
11-27-2006, 2:22 PM
I paid $240, DROS included, for my first receiver, back in late December. If "a few months back" was fairly early in the year, then you didn't get ripped off. Back when the supplies were constricted and everyone believed TWO WEEKS... everything was being shipped Fedex overnight to Texas, and then from Texas, overnighted again to locations in California. Some places were overnighting it a third time from the in-CA depot to their locations.

Another point is that early on, there weren't a lot of dealers willing to traffick in off-list receivers. Those that were, were frequently convinced this would result in legal hassles and such, and they didn't want to deal with them without a decent sized markup.

Depending on the time of year you bought it, the $240 wasn't actually the FFL ripping you off; it was a bloated price based on several rush shipping charges piled together, plus fear of needing to make more profit to feed the lawyers.
Thanks for your detailed explanation here. That makes sense. I think I bought the receiver around August, but I know they were in the store earlier in the year. If the store paid for multiple overnights then I won't hold it against them for passing the cost.

paradox
11-27-2006, 4:02 PM
The part that troubles me the most on a detach-mag "SB-23 compliant" build is the pistol grip. They want to define it as anything protruding below the receiver. Well despite the nice grips show on this site, they're all protruding below the receiver, and I don't get to decide...courts do.

Plus, just having something that looks iffy could get me arrested and ruin my whole day.

Read the current DOJ regulations. A pistol grip is a grip that allows a pistol style grasp and protrudes conspicuously below the action of the firearm. You might also want to read the comment period transcripts from the SB23 era. They were included in the NRA letter over the recent rulemaking re locked mags found at calgunlaws.

luvtolean
11-27-2006, 4:20 PM
If the issue is a background check...you have nothing to fear.

Just keep the lower unbuilt and buy your 10/22 now.

After whatever you're getting a check for is done, build your AR. I have a LEO friend with OLL stuff. He called DOJ himself as he didn't want to ruin his career and there just aren't any problems with it, provided you follow the rules.

metalhead357
11-27-2006, 7:17 PM
Yep I argree with Gram. If you bought early THAT WAS the going rate. Can you get cheaper NOW...you betcha, but as noted the "Two weeks" did get everybody rolling fast- and FAST costs. But hey My last one was $150 and now they're on sale for $109. Did I get ripped off? Nope....either way you pay to play and I dont think really anybody saw that this buy spree would last this long.