PDA

View Full Version : Differences?

PanzerAce
11-27-2006, 12:18 PM
What is the difference between DuraCoating and Parkerizing, in terms of protection/look? Also, how would I go about doing this to my own AK, since I really dont want to shell out any money to get it done.

NeoWeird
11-27-2006, 12:41 PM
DuraCoating a spray on finish. As with most of the spray on finishes it is most likely enamel, cermaic, etc based so that as it hardens it creates a nice hard surface finish. Some will be softer like spray paint, others will be harder.

Pakerizing is a surface finish obtained through a chemical reaction, kind of like anodizing for aluminum. Surface finishes obtained via chemical reactions will generally be harder, last longer, and won't chip/crack like a spray finish can. They also 'build up' at an even rate where as spray finishes can glob, run, etc unless you are careful or know what you are doing.

In general, Pakerizing would be a better finish, however DuraCoating would be cheaper. I haven't used DuraCoat yet, but I have heard that once it is cured it is very strong and very durable. On a budget, if you are simply going for looks (like you don't want mismatched parts and want them all the same color, or you don't want a bare metal receiver with the blue metal parts) then DuraCoat would probably be the easiest thing to do. If you want all around firearm protection, both inside and out, with minimal change in dimensions, then Pakerizing is the way to go; just keep in mind that it requires a set up to perform, including a non-ferious tank, heat source, the chemicals, etc. You can do it yourself, but for a single job it really isn't worth it.

m1371
11-27-2006, 1:24 PM
What is the difference between DuraCoating and Parkerizing, in terms of protection/look? Also, how would I go about doing this to my own AK, since I really dont want to shell out any money to get it done.

DuraCoat is paint. Doesn't matter what anyone else says or all the hype that goes along with it. It's paint. I've found that Krylon works as a great field expedient substitute.

Parkerizing is a chemical finish that literally etches itself into the surface of the metal. The advantage it has is that it creates a rough surface which retains oils & lubricants that you put on the firearm to protect it.

More detailed info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing

A weapon that has been Parkerized (or some similar type of finishing) will actually "take" DuraCoat better than bare metal.

PanzerAce
11-27-2006, 1:26 PM
so would you guys say that it was worth the money to get it Parkerized then?

JPglee1
11-27-2006, 1:28 PM
DuraCoat is paint. Doesn't matter what anyone else says or all the hype that goes along with it. It's paint. I've found that Krylon works as a great field expedient substitute.

Parkerizing is a chemical finish that literally etches itself into the surface of the metal. The advantage it has is that it creates a rough surface which retains oils & lubricants that you put on the firearm to protect it.

More detailed info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing

A weapon that has been Parkerized (or some similar type of finishing) will actually "take" DuraCoat better than bare metal.

Duracoat is sherwin williams 2-part epoxy. Thats all it is, but made super expensive cuz its re-packaged into smaller containers for "gun owners"

Go buy some SW 2 part and you'll see.

JP

m1371
11-27-2006, 1:30 PM
Duracoat is sherwin williams 2-part epoxy. Thats all it is, but made super expensive cuz its re-packaged into smaller containers for "gun owners"

JP

Don't need to.

I've got Krylon in various colors. :D

m1371
11-27-2006, 1:31 PM
so would you guys say that it was worth the money to get it Parkerized then?

What's the finish on it now?

PanzerAce
11-27-2006, 1:36 PM
What's the finish on it now?

whatever the default Romy G and NDS-3 finishes are :p

m1371
11-27-2006, 1:43 PM
whatever the default Romy G and NDS-3 finishes are :p

I honestly have NO idea what kind of finishes are on those. Could be a phosphate finish, could be baked on enamel, etc.

Going to default to someone with more AK know-how than mine because I have no idea how well DuraCoat would adhere.

grammaton76
11-27-2006, 2:09 PM
I think it may be a light coat of bluing. I know that rust WILL develop on the untreated NDS receivers, just from ambient humidity. I discovered this when I was going through my receiver box (probably about 12 receivers in there), and spent the rest of the day removing rust from them, and then coating them with CLP for protection until I work out just how they SHOULD be coated.

So, you should regard the NDS receivers as UNPROTECTED from rust, until you have either painted or parked them.

Charliegone
11-27-2006, 4:12 PM

JP

Dude...I've tried searching on the net for it, but can't seem to find it. I have duracoat and it works well. If I can get it for cheaper..hell I'd buy it.:D